Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121371 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27075 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:47 am »

My militia commander got pecked mercilessly by owl people, then succumbed to his wounds in the hospital.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27076 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:41 pm »

Goblin ambush caught a hauler and farmer by surprise right outside the entrance to the fort, injuring both. Military wiped out thegoblins easy, but the farmer had her lower spine broken, as well as a few other wounds, and it looked like she would survive when she left the hospital for a drink of booze.

A few minutes later, I get  the announcement that the farmer was found dead, of infection. Right in the food stockpile... The hauler is fine, soap is now being produced from the grey languar that keep trying to invade.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27077 on: December 24, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »

I cought the vampire that has claimed three lives in the young fortress of Twistward;

It turns out that the vampire was my major.. Not only did the vampire rise to power in the year he arrived, but he also claimed a notable victim, the sherrif I appointed when the first murder was committed. This is my first vampire experience, is there often this much plotting and scheming involved?

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27078 on: December 24, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »

First year has been nice in Gorespun. Aside from the constant drizzle of Elf blood, and a Jabberer attack that left a Speardwarf's family mourning, things have been going quite well.

A Magma forge has been set up, and the dwarves have been churning out a steady amount of iron. Hopefully it'll turn to steel soon, so we can get a decent military out for the bigger baddies. Maybe I'll provoke the Elves. That'll give the pit of wild beasts a use.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27079 on: December 24, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »

My fort's got tons of tin and bismuth ore, but no other metals. I've been able to make a few batches of bismuth bronze using melted down daggers and things from thieves, but it's slow going and it'll be a while before my military is fully outfitted.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27080 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:19 pm »

Most of my milita is unhappy, since they keep having to chase off goblin snatchers that either maim or kill someone else before being de-limbed.

Time off will just make it worse... so I guess the beatings will continue until morale improves, just like in Real Life.

EDIT: Oh God, one just went miserable, because her baby was the target of a kidnapping attempt, and was hurt in the scuffle. She apparently dropped it, and left it to die, since it just died of thirst 3 tiles away from her. Bad mom.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:18:56 pm by Lich180 »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27081 on: December 25, 2012, 01:35:17 am »

String of consecutive goblin sieges at Shadeswords ended at four.  Goblin snatchers and an ambush team turned up, and got killed in the tunnels with a single escapee.  This included a spear dwarf squad going out through another tunnel and cutting off an escaping goblin on the surface.

Summer was the *humans* turning up to siege the fortress since a second diplomat of theirs has been killed.  He talked to the Duke, made a stupid remark, and then walked out right into a goblin siege.   Idiot.  So the humans sent a squad to siege the fort instead of a caravan.  Their camp was set up for a day or so before it was overrun by twenty well-armed and well-trained dwarves.  Fourteen humans killed, and the camel that the leader was mounted on was decapitated after it attacked a sword dwarf.

Autumn was a visit by a few kobold thieves.  They discovered the new theft deterrent system.  There are alternate paths in a few of the approach tunnels (with the others being kept shut most of the time.  Instead of walking under peacocks and being detected - after which they simply run away, they now get to walk into a room full of war trained grizzly bears.  One kobold was mauled immediately by six bears.  The other ran for it and was chased across most of the map by one bear.  He stabbed the bear three times and managed to kick its teeth out before the bear enraged and ripped the kobold limb from limb.  (The bear has now been retired from guard duty and given some living space elsewhere in the fortress.)

Artifact creation has been sort of interesting.  A black bronze mail shirt and a zinc spear.  The mail shirt is attractive, but not to the protection standard of the steel being issued.  Not sure how good a zinc spear would be, but expect that even with an artifact bonus the metal is just not as good as well-made steel weapons.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27082 on: December 25, 2012, 11:01:40 am »

Just assigned my best teacher (also already a marksdwarf) to the position of champion, first time I had one of those. Unfortunately, this Kogsak is only adequate.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27083 on: December 25, 2012, 11:29:38 am »

Brought several dozen tons of quartzite and cinnabar with me to a patch of tundra to build me a Christmas fort!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27084 on: December 25, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »

Started a new fort a few days past due to Worksavants' constant complaints of no fuel.

Anyway, long story short, Blazemirror is even grander and more ornate than Worksavants ever was. We're currently at 11 dwarves, 2 of which were useless children from the first migrant wave. There used to be 3, but one got his useless self snatched by a goblin. Serves him right.

We hit the adamantine spire, and I just mined my first tiles of adamantine ever!  :D Currently I'm looking up on how to set up my first magma pump stack while I wait for my dwarves to haul the raw adamantine to the newly-mined adamantine treasury. Gonna have to stock up before resealing the caverns away for later.

there should be no lack of water in this fort, 2 out of 3 of the caverns I've found were flooded almost entirely. We've got a lovely well set up in a courtyard next to the grand stairs on the bedrooms level, and it's right in front of the hospital. There's plenty of coal too, and iron, and copper, and gold and silver and graghleadafeadafg--it just occured to me how awesome this embark is, oh man.

Merry Christmas, dorfies. Go grab the adamantine.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #27085 on: December 25, 2012, 09:41:33 pm »

Taming giant insects for use as cannon fodder. Mainly giant thrips and grasshoppers.
I LOST THE GAME

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27086 on: December 25, 2012, 09:58:25 pm »

My fort is full of starving, under-supplied dwarves eeking out an existence in the great desert, the moat has just been finished and it is time to expand from the 20 bed slums to the full 73 bed complement to house all of my dwarves. Oddly enough, given that many dwarves have already gone insane (and promptly decapitated) and that there are basically no work opportunities immigrants continue to flood in, living on streets near the well or the hospital.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #27087 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49:10 am »

@Mr Space Cat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27088 on: December 26, 2012, 07:45:51 am »

I'm constructing a giant microcline fish that will house nobility. It is (roughly) 80 tiles long and made of Open Space because I modded my raws at one point resulting in any microcline I mine instantly turning into gas that transforms nearby dwarves into dragons.

@Mr Space Cat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought it was that if you did mine all the candy... or just enough...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27089 on: December 26, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

I ended up abandoning my fort on account of boredom.  I had given my dwarves entire suits of adamantine, adamantine weapons (save blunt, those are steel and silver), each piece was masterwork or near masterwork and almost all my dwarves were legendary warriors.  With this army I pulled the adamantine scimitar to unleash hell... only to watch my dwarves destroy over 200 demons while barely taking a scratch, or at least only taking bruises.  I think the only damage any of them really got was from demons with fire because it would burn their cloaks and socks and an occasional broken limb through sheer luck.  After the demons fell to a trickle and I was able to systematically recall dwarves to get bandaged up while others stayed behind and eventually the demons gave up rushing up the stairs and getting stabbed in the face with adamantine swords and spears.  I think in my next fort I'll keep invaders on now that I have a better idea on how to train my dwarves without danger rooms.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 ... 3842