Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1800 1801 [1802] 1803 1804 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121714 times)

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27015 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:35 am »

How does one find the full name of their dwarves?  I kinda wanna know what her entire name is 'cause if he named her weapon The Lavender Fish I really wanna know what she named herself too.

Quick edit:  it's a she, not a he.

Easy way is:
{l}artifact information
And select the weapon. It will list kills, and since it uses the whole screen, it won't abbreviate her name.

(For non-lartifacts, find it in the dwarf's {i}nventory, select it with {Enter}, and {v}iew it.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:29:18 am by mscantrell »
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27016 on: December 19, 2012, 12:50:45 pm »

Shadeswords is in its 9th year.  The mayoral merry-go-round might finally be settling down, and the mayor likes sceptres and picks.  Annoying, but can be handled.  The duke continues his fascination with statues, so the fortress and Castle Brass as getting well decorated.

An artifact battle axe was produced... out of electrum.  It has been given its own weapon trap out in the approach tunnels next to the trap with the artifact gold short sword.  Both weapons now have kills, and have been useful in bruising and wounding multiple goblins during sieges.

The latest siege broke into two battles.  Traps and marksdwarves taking out two squads of goblin cavalry, some trolls, and a unit of giant cave spiders in the tunnels.  And the Castle Brass garrison sortied out to take on a few straggler trolls and a goblin cavalry squad that was advancing rather slowly.  Three dozen goblins taken out and the spear dwarves did wonderful work.  Picking up giant spider bits takes a while when a mine cart gun shot hits them since it appears to break them into ten or so pieces.

Will be curious to see if loss of their civilization leader in the past year will convert the goblins from cavalry back into infantry formations.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #27017 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »

An engraver engraved an engraving of another engraver engraving an engraving.
I really wish it was more recursive than that, but will have to settle for making 'engraving' not a word anymore.

Also, while training, a dwarf managed to tap another dwarf in the right eyelid with a spear.
As soon as I check his/her name, they will be assigned the roomiest room, the booziest booze, the legendariest legendaries... and the tombiest tomb.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27018 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »

Six years in, the City fort of űzzuglar, or Growlship (such an awesome name), has seen: several sieges by goblins, the latest two being within the same calendar year; an attack by a spessartine Mountain Titan, during which foolish decisions by military leadership cost the lives of eight dwarves and risked a tantrum spiral*; a single murder by a vampire; the realization, years later, that the decision to send fourty untrained and unarmed dwarves out to fight the Titan also killed said vampire by sheer luck; the successful de-skying of a goblin-carrying cave sparrow; two to three melancholic or berserk caravans trapped within the walls of the fort during said sieges; one attempt to let a dwarven caravan escape through the caverns, which appears to have failed miserably; the capture of a (potentially) breeding pair of giant cave toads; significant advances towards the ultimate domestication of ravens, keas, and wolverines; the curious elevation of an eighty year old untrained peasant (apprenticed as a glassmaker) to the position of Baron; and the creation of an artifact sheep wool thong (*shudder*). Plans are in the works to create a retracting bridge pit trap with optional drowning capabilities.

All in all, the Elves are much more laid back than I expected, given all the times we have offended or managed to kill their caravans. Also, all the skeletons of their kind that litter the trade depot entrance.

*Edit: During this incident, one of the Dorfsquads deployed was unfortunately (or fortunately) spontaneously/prophetically named The Dead Merchants. Disbanding that squad was the biggest mistake of the fort so far.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:14:57 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27019 on: December 19, 2012, 06:15:17 pm »

The CMD of Shadeswords got a fey mood and grabbed the last adamantine wafer in the fortress.  He must also have a bit of a sense of humor.

He made an adamantine spear - named "Beachsandals".  Guess he noticed all the sand we have lying about here on our desert hill.  The new weapon has been assigned to the squad leader of the full-time spear squad.

While awaiting further visitors the masons and miners were put to work building a bunker in the northeast quadrant to overlook the pond and the edge where the hill leads down into the serene plain.  Nice split-level archery bunker went up fairly quickly and is already ready to be garrisoned when needed.  The pond is fairly full for a change with the winter rains.  Some pond turtles sighted, and the lungfish aren't wandering around as much.

The fort has also started unloading the lower quality iron armor onto the dwarven caravan.  The armorers are producing good quality steel for the reservists at this point, so the older iron armor is being phased out of the military completely.  The cadre units will continue using leather armor for the lighter weight since they are essentially last-ditch defense squads at this point. 

Time also to work out how to have fun with the war grizzly bears that have been accumulated.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27020 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:21 pm »

I have 19 "forts" speckled across the world, trying to embark on a damned goblin fort! How hard is it to find a fort, you stupid dwarves! A flat plain is NOT A FORT!
How do I actually get my dwarves to embark on a goblin fort?

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27021 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:44 pm »

My still-green militia was recently scrambled against our very first goblin ambush. Things went surprisingly well, with two goblins struck down and the rest fleeing the map. There was only one casualty - a speardwarf who had his leg, shoulder, and lower spine crunched by a hammergoblin.

I watched over his recovery closely, since he was the first dwarf to go through Mountainhammer's hospital facilities. In doing so, I got attached to the poor guy. So, I went to his prefs to help me pick a suitable name. This is what I found:

He migrated as a cook, but my starting cook was already up to legendary and into the militia he went. I drafted a sensitive culinary artist, and now look what happened.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27022 on: December 19, 2012, 08:00:08 pm »

I have 19 "forts" speckled across the world, trying to embark on a damned goblin fort! How hard is it to find a fort, you stupid dwarves! A flat plain is NOT A FORT!
How do I actually get my dwarves to embark on a goblin fort?
Not at all. Goblin forts don't exist in the current version. Currently only human sites actually exist, everything else are placeholders, there's nothing there. Also you need some DFhack trick to embark on an existing site.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27023 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »

Or I guess you could go back to 40d, if you wanted to embark on an actual existing site.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27024 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That vampire migrated with a natural skill in mining, most hunting related skills, several farming skills, all fishing skills, blacksmithing, wood/stonecrafting and siege operating.

That plus his long list of prior citizenships labeled him as a vampire immediately, so I placed him up there above my fort entrance to serve as a sentry until killed. Under him is a floor grate, so he can see down, and fortifications blocking him onto his little platform.

I like to imagine him growing more and more bloodthirsty, and being driven slowly to madness by the dwarves passing by under and around him, and the dwarves avoiding the entrance to avoid being accosted by the insane, bloodthirsty vampire above them...

Oh, a migrant arrived with the last name Kokeblolok. I assume it is pronounced "cock block".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:09:35 pm by Lich180 »

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27025 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:00 pm »

It's been a rather boring year in Axeboards.  I keep having Forgotten Beasts spawn in locations that are surrounded by trees so they can't get out.  Most ambushes seem to rush at my traps, one goblin gets dismembered by the discs, then the rest flee, and I haven't gotten sieged in over 3 years ever since their I killed their general (who happened to be a child they kidnapped as soon as I turned invaders back on).  Now my dwarves are almost entirely in adamantine armor and weapons, I have so much gold and silver to buy the world, and most of my dwarves are legendary in their respective skills.  I'm considering grabbing the adamantine scimitar and opening the dogs of war just to see how this fort fairs.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27026 on: December 20, 2012, 12:24:59 am »

No goblin sieges in Shadeswords for over a year.  Patrols are dispatching goblin thieves and even a few ambush squads - which are good experience for some of the squads that have not been fighting the sieges head on.

Mainly working on minor improvements in the defenses, collecting materials for steel making, and seeing what artifacts the various moody dwarves are producing.   Some just don't get it.  The cook got a mood and made a *tin* cap; with spikes of tin.   :o

Others do more interesting stuff.  A weaponsmith made a gold spiked ball, menacing with gems and cat bone.  That's been put in the artifact weapon trap zone to greet future intruders.  (Now consisting of a brass war hammer, a gold short sword, an electrum battle axe, and the recently created gold spiked ball.  There's a brass serrated disc as well, but that was put up near the entrance gate to Castle Brass.)

And another shipment of armor went out with the dwarven caravan.  If you're wondering where those standard and (-) quality iron breastplates and greaves are coming from that the traders have, we're exporting them...

The duke (also broker and manager) tried to ship out some sceptres that were lying around.  They had already been packed away by the traders when the mayor found out, so some random metalsmith got sentenced to 80 days in the jail.  He's been given a jar of prepared food, a full jug of wine, and locked in so that the wandering kids don't bother him.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27027 on: December 20, 2012, 12:33:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deconstructed a door, tried to use an armor stand set in a niche to switch squads training in my Coin Star room. Door was left on the floor of the room, and the mine cart used in the repeater apparently wasn't stopped properly.

Poor hauler was just trying to remove the door... and I laughed pretty hard at this combat report.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27028 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:37 am »

Brassvoices has started, and Prospect has some high hopes for me, in terms of hematite in my igneous extrusive layer that is my first, though I don't have any coal or lignite. Maybe I'll fudge a reaction I know I won't be using. My first move was to cut away my own private section of land to call my own. We have fire clay, so I'm going to be using that as my building material for the outside. In the Basalt layer, I've run into tetrahedrite and alunite. Alunite will be a glorious splash of white against the bloody color of the fireclay.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27029 on: December 20, 2012, 06:10:31 am »

So after a prolonged fight with the native caveswallow tribe one of the few remnants has defect, and become friendly completely out of the blue. He's a named spearman, and is now guarding my cave hall entrance with a gash in his chest, a fractured wing and broken ribs.

Italtomem, the cave swallow man spearman - kind of a badass.
Pages: 1 ... 1800 1801 [1802] 1803 1804 ... 3842