Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1799 1800 [1801] 1802 1803 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121873 times)

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27000 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:12 am »

It's been awhile since I've played and I think it's the best I've done so far. Took out a legendary minotaur creature and survived some sieges despite having at the time a very open fort layout and getting a much needed caravan bugged because they arrived at the same time (had to dissemble. Currently reorganising my livestock and figuring out what to do with all these peons and not one of them will finish my lye requests.

Then I'm digging straight down till I hit magma or caverns. Or fun.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27001 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:51 am »

It's been awhile since I've played and I think it's the best I've done so far. Took out a legendary minotaur creature and survived some sieges despite having at the time a very open fort layout...
Could I see said layout?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27002 on: December 18, 2012, 10:32:39 am »

Another goblin siege, again with 3 squads and some trolls, menaced the mighty castle of Daggerplayed.
This time though, I wanted to try the new high pressure pumps at the river. They sucked up so much water that the river went almost completely dry and the trolls just walked right into the main pump chamber, and smashed some gear assemblies, destroying the unsupported waterwheels. Now the river does flow again, but the whole pump stack has to be reassembled. The last time I built something like this was before streams got ramps on the sides, so it was a little unexpected.

Still, nobody died. Only the new mayor walked outside, caught and arrow to the hand and puked all over himself as a result or maybe due to cave adaption. I still want to keep him, because he only ever mandates buckets to be made. No slade crafts or crystal glass scepters - just good old buckets. I hope he's happy to be drinking out of lovely buckets in the hospital.

We're at 252 dwarves now and 100 of those are children and babies. Still no idea what to do and the dorfplosion gets worse every month.

Any ideas or solutions that don't involve a nuclear dorfplosion?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27003 on: December 18, 2012, 11:49:16 am »

ATOM SMASH  :D
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27004 on: December 18, 2012, 12:01:05 pm »

Welp, Axeboards lost another legendary weaponsmith today.  For some reason it kept reading that her masterworks were being lost but I couldn't find out what, unless ammo being used in the recent ambushes/sieges count as being lost.  If that's the case I guess I need to stop mass producing metal bolts, which I've been doing because I got over 1,000 copper bars sitting around that I've decided to use on putting copper bolts on repeat.  If that's not the case then I got no idea since I don't see any other weapons being destroyed.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27005 on: December 18, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »

Human caravan frozen in the outer courtyard, after closing outside gate due to huge siege. Some of the guards were caught outside.  Opened the gate - really, if they won't come inside, I have to let the gobbos in, cuz that's where all my defenses and military are.  They've turned around, and are now heading *out* into the teeth of the siege.

This will not end well ... for them.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27006 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »

Welp, Axeboards lost another legendary weaponsmith today.  For some reason it kept reading that her masterworks were being lost but I couldn't find out what, unless ammo being used in the recent ambushes/sieges count as being lost.  If that's the case I guess I need to stop mass producing metal bolts, which I've been doing because I got over 1,000 copper bars sitting around that I've decided to use on putting copper bolts on repeat.  If that's not the case then I got no idea since I don't see any other weapons being destroyed.

Well, even if she pumped out a ton of masterworks, she wouldn't be all that bummed out to lose a few. The more masterwork items they create, the smaller the hit to their happiness each masterwork lost is. Eventually they just don't care.

My guess would be they are ammo stuck in retreating enemies, items being melted down, or stuff being stolen by kobolds.

I'm trying to find a few past forts (magma bunker, obsidian surface fort, big projects) in my save files: doesn't help I never renamed the region file to something more clear and concise. Guess I learned my lesson.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27007 on: December 18, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »

So, in the aboveground fortress Rulelancer, everything proceeds satisfyingly. I am, however, a bit amazed by the newest artifact, the fortress has created:

The Whispering Horror? Cool!
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27008 on: December 18, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »

Human capybara demon diplomat diety has proven useful:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27009 on: December 18, 2012, 05:53:52 pm »

I've begun construction of the greater outer walls. All is well so far, with only one cave-in, apparently because of a tree that was on top of a block for which all supports were removed. No serious injuries, there.
The berserk dingo woman Mili, however, has returned form the dead to haunt the living, in place of her brother's spirit which I put to rest with DFhack. She ripped the leg off one of the older dingo women.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27010 on: December 18, 2012, 06:17:30 pm »

I just had a tantruming dwarf rip apart a stark raving mad dwarf. She just leaped on him and ripped him limb from limb...I rather not mess with that dwarf.

Edit: To make things even more interesting. The leader is her lover. She apparently screamed at him right after she killed the dwarf and now she is ecstatic.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:22:47 pm by Scootagoose »
Unf.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27011 on: December 18, 2012, 07:00:08 pm »

Tantrum spiral!

It was inevitable, really.  Still, with the outside zoos and the marble statues, it was beautiful while it lasted.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27012 on: December 18, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »

Well, I had to give in to my ADOS and gen a new world.

Going about my normal embark (dfhack prospect, to see whats there before I get comfortable) and at the bottom of my map, I see an upright candy longsword.

That, plus sand, aquifer, tons of magma, almost 7k candy (and a spire that is solid for 73 z-levels!!) hematite, lignite, bituminous coal and tetrahedrite (galena too, but who cares about that crap) means I'm gonna make this embark fun.

And from now on, while committing crimes against nature, and when an aquifer is involved, I'm going to use pitchblende to block off the aquifer.  I like to think that the radiation is seeping into the groundwater, poisoning the area for the next thousand years or so.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:52:54 pm by Lich180 »

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27013 on: December 18, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »

Things have finally started to get interesting in Mountainhammer - enemies are starting to become wise to our location at last. Of course, the military is still not remotely ready yet.

A giant earthworm titan with webs, scales, and a shell came calling, and at first I hesitated to deploy my five-dwarf military.Their training had only been effective enough to keep off the rust thus far (and a danger room is currently under construction to rectify this). But since the titan only had a body and a head to hit, I figured that should make up for the slightly tougher materials it was composed of. And so, my dwarves were ordered to the front airlock, where they waited for the kill order. All of them gripped their iron warhammers except the squad leader, who is the lucky wielder of an artifact gold hammer (complete with an image of an elf getting torn to shreds by a cyclops).

The front gate was unlocked and they sprang out... straight into a veritable cloud of webs. The great worm turned out to be a simple beast, as it spammed webs at the soldiers long after they had become hopelessly entangled. Had it wanted to, it could have slithered right up to any dwarf and done unspeakable damage with no one to stop it. But it just kept webbing. I wasn't sure how much longer this could last before blows started landing on my helpless dwarves, though.

As it happened, a member of the squad sauntered into the airlock late. Whether he had slept in or merely stopped at the kitchens for a drink, he never admitted. Now that the titan was focused on plastering his comrades to the grass with webs, it was child's play for the lone soldier to dance around behind the beast and clobber it in the back of the head with his *iron warhammer*.

The titan burgers were delicious.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27014 on: December 19, 2012, 01:11:00 am »

A kobold decided to crash a party at the zoo.  Not really sure how it got there, or how it managed to only get discovered in the middle of the room, but as much as I like kobolds I cannot speak for my fortress residents.  Probably about 6 hunters and 3 peasants decided to decorate the cages with the poor kobold's blood.  The poor thing barely moves a tile before being pelted with bolts from every direction, and then the peasants dogpiled it. 
When the Kobold died it had numerous arrow wounds, a bolt in it's heart, its throat was bitten out, significantly fewer teeth than it started with, and one peasant shaking it around by the head with their mouth.

Something is just nuts about peasants.  Everyone else runs away peasants jump into the fray.  I'm starting to think they realize they have nothing to live for anyway and either hope for a promotion to military or a quick death.

----------------------------------------------------
A siege happened.  Apparently the local greenskins somehow managed to tame war cave dragons.  Mother of God.

The attack was somehow repelled. My military has been decimated though, I now have more dead soldiers than living ones.  my soldiers killed 2 greenskins for every one, but every time a cave dragon reached the front line it got wrecked.  No fire breath thank god, but the things were just too strong.

Once the melee squads became a stain I retreated my crossbowmen from the walls to the front of the entrance hall of the fortress itself, with the fortress guard as a front line.  Fortunately the fortress's 15 some hunters also decided to contribute, and the combination of the hunters and the crossbowman squad fired enough bolts to blot out the sun, routing the enemy.

Now for the inevitable tantrum spiral.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:09:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1799 1800 [1801] 1802 1803 ... 3842