Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1798 1799 [1800] 1801 1802 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121878 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26985 on: December 17, 2012, 01:44:37 pm »

Got some steel goods from the dwarf caravan, working on multiplying my reserves. Tetrahedrite, Galena, and native gold are the only ores present on my map, and copper is not my first choice of armor and weapon material. Any masterwork stuff my smith makes will be kept, probably not the best thing to do but I can't risk losing my best smith to despair because his masterwork giant steel axe blades got recycled.

Lost a marksdwarf to a goblin ambush, he was shot in the head and killed instantly. No one else was hurt, thankfully. Got to step up my defenses while learning how to set up a mine cart water cannon.

Must move everything out of the firing range of the cannon, set up base camp there until we got going smoothly.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26986 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:25 pm »

Embarked at the junction of two rivers with the goal of making an adobe tower. Defenses are light, but it's barely the second year.

Kobold presence has been high, possibly because of all the clay crafts and bricks I've been churning out. My two-man militia spears them with little trouble, but that doesn't stop them from trying. Spears do little to dissuade the keas from stealing my trade goods, though fortunately nothing is masterwork quality yet, so the losses are minimal.

After the third migration wave, I enlist two otherwise useless dwarves - a cheesemaker and a fisherman - into another squad, and post them outside to deal with the kobolds while the other squad spars inside. The possible folly of this is demonstrated when a goblin thief gets spotted and, in a panic, stabs my newly minted militia captain straight through his *bronze greaves*. Those silver daggers are dangerous ...

Of course, I haven't had time yet to set up a proper hospital, much less assign a doctor, or dig a well, or make soap, or pretty much make any kind of preparations to make sure he doesn't die. And what do I see when I view his profile? "He is quite susceptible to disease."

Yeah, it might also be time to carve out a bit of that necropolis ...
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26987 on: December 17, 2012, 04:55:28 pm »

Someone's pet cat died of old age in the dining room, while carrying a gift for it's pal. Poor kitty...

In other news, a mechanic became secretive. I expect many ☼mechanisms☼ and ☼machinery☼ in the near future

But in exponentially cuter news, I set one of the dingo women to train the wombat people, and she is now bonded to the wombat woman. They're friends whereas in nature the dingo should try to chew the wombat's guts out. How adorable!
None of the other dingo people are getting to know each other very well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:47:48 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26988 on: December 17, 2012, 05:02:18 pm »

FUCK YOU TANTRUMING MINER!

Granitehealed was the last refuge of dwarfkind - goblins had ravaged all other settlements in a series of brutal wars of genocide over the last 250 years. 20 dwarves with 2 children holed up in a small hill were the very last that had not met thier end. After a shaky start getting enough fruit to brew and establishing a food source (tasty capybara meat and fish), things looked good. All 20 adult inhabitants were bronze clad and either pick, axe or crossbow toting, save for our legendary hammerer who had dispatched many a beast and petty annoyance. Adamantine had been extracted and the process of turning it into useable wafers. We were safe behind our ballistae lined battlements, and anything that made it into the halls would be killed by our armed citizenry. Alas, this was to be the downfall of the last dwarves. A high master miner was demanding the one thing I could not provide as part of a mood - yarn cloth. There were no beasts to obtain such goods from, wither through agriculture or hunting. He went bezerk, and was locked in the workshop. Now, we could have waited for him to starve. Alas, the hammerer wanted to bring matters to a close so the masonry workshop could go back to production, so he was let in to deal with the miner. It was over very quickly - the miner removed thier hammerers arm, then head, and made off through the corridors, dispatching each and every citizen despite a hail of bolts and counter attacks. Thus ended the dwarven race - not killed by forgotten beast or goblins, but by its own enraged hand.
This is a blank sig.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26989 on: December 17, 2012, 07:00:57 pm »

Sounds like your miner pulled a Sankis, but with less fire.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26990 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »

16 years of Figurewhip...the first generation of children are growing up, likely posing a threat to mayor Kib Geshudkikrost's hold on power.  She's been an exceptionally stable leader holding on to the mayor's office for three years now; that being said, the power struggles of the first 13 years might resurface when she dies of old age, currently at 145 and counting.  Urist Gamilcog isn't going down without a fight, that's for sure.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26991 on: December 17, 2012, 09:12:15 pm »

Using mass miners, masons and marksdwarves to build and defend a fortified area near my fort entrance.
Newly recruited archer gathers up the fish caught from the adjacent river into a fish barrel.
Shortage of leather armour leads to her being more or less naked while doing this.
Becomes miserable, throws tantrum.
Hurls the fish barrel across the river and by pure chance it slams into a sneaking kobold thief, killing it.
Earns her first kill this way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26992 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:39 pm »

So my fort has regressed from a county back to... whatever it's called with just a mayor.  My countess angered me for the last time by demanding trifle pewter items in the dining hall... and when the fact I can't MAKE these items cropped up and she had my legendary weapon/armor smiths locked in jail where they starved to death despite having plenty of food/drink stockpiles in the jail enough was enough.  I stationed her under a bridge and squashed her for being a total jerk and killing my best dwarves before mass producing my adamantine weapons and gear, because I got over 200 wafers sitting in a stockpile.  (yay for repeat jobs and forgetting about them)

Is there any way to get a new count?  I typically don't squash my counts under bridges.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26993 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:36 pm »

Using mass miners, masons and marksdwarves to build and defend a fortified area near my fort entrance.
Newly recruited archer gathers up the fish caught from the adjacent river into a fish barrel.
Shortage of leather armour leads to her being more or less naked while doing this.
Becomes miserable, throws tantrum.
Hurls the fish barrel across the river and by pure chance it slams into a sneaking kobold thief, killing it.
Earns her first kill this way.

Gods damned, that is one unlucky kobold.

I coulda swore I recently commented on another miserably unlucky kobold, too. Gotta compare these situations and decide just who had the worst luck.

Anyway, I just traded with the elves, and very nearly caused them to leave by offering a wooden barrel as a container for some very, very expensive prepared meals. Instead of screaming "FUCKING DWARVES" and leaving, the merchant merely became visibly upset. Maybe the fact I was also offering a second, stone container worth even more disuaded him from walking away from the deal. Or maybe it's what I did to the local alligator populations, and the intimidation inherent therein that allowed him to keep his composure ever-so-slightly on jsut one offense. After offering him the one stone pot in return for a heap of cloth (I need a lot of cloth; elves have a lot of cloth) He calmed down significantly. At the end of the exchange, both the elven and cobald merchants were FUCKING ECSTATIC with the amount of expensive, high-quality and utterly horrifyingappetizing cuisine I was willing to export in exchange for their goods. And I actually didn't kill them, for once. Hopefully I won't need any cloth imports next year, with the farms beginning to produce significantly more. I need to raise my exported wealth significantly, anyway, and I keep getting distracted when I try to deal with the merchants.

Also, a gem setter is now in a secretive mood. Gem cutters/setters always come up with the coolest shit.

Is there any way to get a new count?  I typically don't squash my counts under bridges.

In The Community Reclaim Swordthunders it happened that the fort was able to become a barony twice. I think it was just a glitch, though, and it isn't normally possible to obtain another baron/count/duke/king right now, as far as I know
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26994 on: December 17, 2012, 11:10:01 pm »

Also, a gem setter is now in a secretive mood. Gem cutters/setters always come up with the coolest shit.
No they don't? All they ever make is perfect gems, which aren't interesting at all.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26995 on: December 17, 2012, 11:49:11 pm »

Or artifact gem beds/barrels/chairs. They'll make furniture sometimes. Yeah, sometimes they'll make a gem drum or something, but my statement is only somewhat wrong :P
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26996 on: December 17, 2012, 11:52:11 pm »

A few gem artifacts I can recall were rose quartz and claro opal statues, a prase door, and a pink tourmaline hatch cover.

So, it seems bugbears have decided to attack me this winter. Thier lives are forfeit.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26997 on: December 18, 2012, 12:41:48 am »

I recall getting an artifact scepter made entirely out of gems, encrusted with gems and menacing with spikes of more gems. Quite the status symbol for the fort leader. Could double as a (potentially useless) makeshift weapon were he to be attacked as well.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26998 on: December 18, 2012, 12:55:20 am »

Well, the dwarf made a green tourmaline cabinet named "Puceplaited" worth 67200☼. It's colorful, I guess, regardless of the fact it's not all that valuable. Makes me feel like I've been hanging out with too many women that I know that "puce" is a color, even though I'm not sure exactly what color that would be.

"dancing beard fiber" is a plant I renamed from a rather stupid name given by the random plant generator. Which you should totally check out.

Essentially the picture depicts the rise of our very civilization, I suppose. Pretty neat. I'll stuff it in her room.
I make Spellcrafts!

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26999 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:46 am »

Building an olivine ladder to Heaven, which will be the entire top level, and completely created in marble and gold.  Found the second set of caverns has a cave that drops ~30 levels, but it's small and slightly diagonal, so cool but ...  Trying to think of a good megaproject for that area.

Ooh, a capybara demonic diplomat from the human nation has just arrived.  "Othri Ulet Mukca, deity"    What??
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:26:52 am by urmane »
Pages: 1 ... 1798 1799 [1800] 1801 1802 ... 3842