Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1796 1797 [1798] 1799 1800 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122041 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26955 on: December 15, 2012, 12:49:22 pm »

Unicorns are evil organ gougin monsters that need to be exterminated.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26956 on: December 15, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »

@ Mr Space Cat - Indeed. Ponies don't fuck around in a fight. You wouldn't think the little technicolor weirdos would have the stomach to kill something, let alone use it as a rag doll and paint thier house with it.
You'd be surprised at the stuff grimdark fanfic writers come up with for ponies to do. *cough*cupcakes*cough*falloutequestria*cough*
-----
In other news, Goatrimmed is near starving at the moment because apparently the apples are next to useless currently and we only had one guy farming who apparently wasn't even farming. Many ponies seemed to only be lugging stuff from stockpile to stockpile and a quick check with DwarfPonyTherapist has hopefully set the slackers straight.

I'm so used to dwarves just butchering whatever animals they bring and grinding them into sausage in Masterwork to produce loads of food, it's odd having to find other food sources.

To the cheese shop! Away!

EDIT: Ponies are hunting vermin for food now. I have some 200 apples. I have buckets. Why can't i hold all these apples in buckets? WHY CAN'T I JUST EAT ALL THESE APPLES??
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:14:20 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #26957 on: December 15, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »

You have to empty the baskets in one of the farming workshops.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26958 on: December 15, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nearly got 100zlvls of uninterrupted staircase in Silentthunders. We must build higher.

HIGHER.

Damn.  Where are you going with that thing?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26959 on: December 15, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »

Nearly got 100zlvls of uninterrupted staircase in Silentthunders. We must build higher.

HIGHER.

Damn.  Where are you going with that thing?

Another step amongst many to building a mountain out of a molehill.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26960 on: December 15, 2012, 03:28:25 pm »

Many, Many corpses. Simple as that.
Unf.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26961 on: December 15, 2012, 06:10:26 pm »

Tosid Cerolkikrost has become a Marksdwarf.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26962 on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:40 pm »

The dingo man ghost struck again, this time injuring one of the old dingo men named Cacame something-or-other. Tore open his chest and liver, and left plenty of blood to be mopped up, but the old dingo man survived after a short stay in the hospital. Good news is dwarven doctors will treat dingo man patients. Cacame recieved sutures and dressing directly on his liver and chest wound.

Given that the dingo men stopped reproducing after being made part of the fortress, I've given them the run of the place with no labors until some marriages occur and their population is stable.

I'm hoping, also, that these children will become historical figures well enough to show up with migrants in future forts. But maybe that'll be impossible, anyway. Time to tame and breed those wolverine and wombat men/women.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #26963 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:56 am »

If you're not above using DFHack in the first place, then I would recommend using it to get rid of that ghost. Also, only a Cacame could survive a torn liver.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26964 on: December 16, 2012, 01:35:45 am »

He's pretty damn tough, yeah; the blood loss didn't even maek him faint, nor did he pass out from pain. Took him about 5 steps to realize he was injured, but that could just be because DF AI is still pretty freaking stupid.

Also, I had no idea DFhack had a function to eliminate ghosts. Now I have to re-read the "readme" again. Thanks.

So, I got the wolverine and wombat men trained and out of their cages. Now it's taking months to get them back into a cage for safety's sakes, because a dingo man decided to come bring them to the cage. And of course they're simultaneously losing a race with the snails on the lawn.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:37:50 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26965 on: December 16, 2012, 03:01:07 am »

Well I just lost my entire 50 dwarf military, most were legendary and I had just begun crafting adamantite armor and weapons, due to a forgotten beast with deadly dust.  I had my archers attack it from a distance but for some reason all my melee dwarves decided to go for a drink, went down to the caverns to drink from the well despite me having over 1,000 drinks, and promptly engaged the dusty FB and while they were poking it my marksdwarves decided to run in and beat the beast with their crossbows because they're dwarves.  The dust caused a syndrome that took over a year to cause all the skin to fall off of every dwarf infected, plus the doctors that carried/handled the dwarves also seemed to have gotten infected and are starting to die off as well.  This means... now only do I need a new military, mostly, from scratch but I am in dire need of migrants to fill their roles as well... preferably before i get sieged.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26966 on: December 16, 2012, 09:46:00 am »

Just made a semi automated minecart dump for ridding the fort of extra stone. using a simple circle with one dumpstop and a set of rollers this was supposed to keep my dwarfs from getting toasted by magma mist.
The casualtys were getting to be unacceptable.

After powering the rollers and setting up the route I paid attention to another area for a min. until i got
(Stray) cat has slammed into an obstical and died.  ?!@? so I zoom in and sure enough the cat got run over by the minecart. Wich was now racing its little oval like a mini stock car (no dwarf on it, dammit would have been twice as funny).

And as i watched a dwarf walks up and attempts to place a track stop (this was supposed to be built before the activation of the loop) and stops the cart with his body. physics (!!fun!!) ensued, no deadly injurys though (damnit).
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26967 on: December 16, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »

Nothing of importance is happening right now in Daggerplayed. The castle is making good progress as almost 80 masons are doing their work while being protected by 60 elite soldiers. I still don't like traps, so that's the only defense. Sadly, they're just standing around uselessly since nobody's been attacking for more than a year.
I took a look at the civilizations screen just now and found two more reasons to love the RNG. The goblins are called "The terror of death" and the elves (still at war) "The roar of romances". Humans didn't show up in more than 4 years... I suspect, they don't even exist in this world.

There's a dwarven caravan at the trade depot right now that refuses to leave. I accidentally blocked the map edge they came from, but even after opening it again, they just stand around and do nothing, though there was the "traders are leaving now" message. Is there anything I can do except keep some soldiers nearby in case they start tantruming?

And as always, too many children... 77 of them with 231 dwarves  >:(
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26968 on: December 16, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »

I tried flooding my fortress, sent 5 Urist's into a room and walled it off then tapped into the brook right next to the food supply on the top floor. The water was incredibly slow so I decided it'd be a great idea to dig a ramp under the river too, after about 5 minutes of tortoise speed flooding winter sabotaged my plans. I sent my miner to dig more space for the river and dig through the river, little did I know he was the only miner outside of the dry room and digging through a frozen river would cause it to freeze up and swallow the occupant of the tile.
The water levels in my food and drink stockpile was too high for my dwarves to wade through and everyone was so dehydrated and starving a few went insane. In the lower levels where the sleepy rooms are there were 3 dead dwarves and maybe 5 insanely dorfy dorfs, the lower levels filled up with miasma and prone-to-die dwarves just crawled into it. Each one was murdered by the suspiciously miserable murderers. One of the dwarves, a trader, tortured a baby until it passed out (broken bones, bruises, etc.) then with a blow to the head put it out of its misery.
I checked on my survivalists and it turns out I forgot to put food and drink in their box, a few were already joining the lower level murderers, punching and biting the cats, dogs and children. A trader came, unaware of the dangers below and just sat up top waiting for whatever traders do (steal corpses? Gosh, I don't know.). Soon after, only 2 survivalist dwarfies were sane and alive. The miasma in the box got the best of them and insanity once again peered into the souls of the innocent.
After all the crazies were dead and the box pals became crazies I decided it's time to abandon these fools and start again.
The only thing I have learned is that success is boring.
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26969 on: December 16, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »

I tried flooding my fortress, sent 5 Urist's into a room and walled it off then tapped into the brook right next to the food supply on the top floor. The water was incredibly slow so I decided it'd be a great idea to dig a ramp under the river too, after about 5 minutes of tortoise speed flooding winter sabotaged my plans. I sent my miner to dig more space for the river and dig through the river, little did I know he was the only miner outside of the dry room and digging through a frozen river would cause it to freeze up and swallow the occupant of the tile.
The water levels in my food and drink stockpile was too high for my dwarves to wade through and everyone was so dehydrated and starving a few went insane. In the lower levels where the sleepy rooms are there were 3 dead dwarves and maybe 5 insanely dorfy dorfs, the lower levels filled up with miasma and prone-to-die dwarves just crawled into it. Each one was murdered by the suspiciously miserable murderers. One of the dwarves, a trader, tortured a baby until it passed out (broken bones, bruises, etc.) then with a blow to the head put it out of its misery.
I checked on my survivalists and it turns out I forgot to put food and drink in their box, a few were already joining the lower level murderers, punching and biting the cats, dogs and children. A trader came, unaware of the dangers below and just sat up top waiting for whatever traders do (steal corpses? Gosh, I don't know.). Soon after, only 2 survivalist dwarfies were sane and alive. The miasma in the box got the best of them and insanity once again peered into the souls of the innocent.
After all the crazies were dead and the box pals became crazies I decided it's time to abandon these fools and start again.
The only thing I have learned is that success is boring.
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 1796 1797 [1798] 1799 1800 ... 3842