Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122418 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26880 on: December 09, 2012, 07:37:48 pm »

Also had an interesting situation where the hammerer was sentenced to 1 hammerstrike for violation of a mandate.  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26881 on: December 09, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

I have combined an artifact green glass bed, an artifact green glass chain, green glass table and chair, booze, food, and a lovely green glass door to create... The nicest fucking jail cell ever.

So long as only one dwarf is ever imprisoned at any given time, I will never have tantrums in said prison. They'll be so impressed by their living accomodations they'll completely forget they're chained up. The chain shouldn't be torn down. I hope...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:46:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26882 on: December 09, 2012, 07:57:39 pm »

Been closely watching dwarven politics in action; the fort just elected its 12th mayor in 13 years.  Been a constant power struggle between a guy and his wife along with two other notable couples (all of whom are still alive); the election of Kib Geshudkikrost, incumbent broker and widow of a notable axedwarf has shaken things up quite a bit.

Dwarven politics can be quite interesting. I've wondered about the mechanics behind this. As far as I know high social skills influence who's elected, but in my forts there are tons of idlers after 3 decades and almost everybody is legendary in social skills. So I've noticed that my miller mayor lost the election in the year where he was busy all year when I decided to make dye out of my 2000 dimple cups. He had no time to make friends and promptly lost support. I wonder if I should disable all jobs on a dwarf without preferences to avoid mandates. Also after a certain point every mayor who had a crime punished lost the next election and never had a comeback.

Also had an interesting situation where the hammerer was sentenced to 1 hammerstrike for violation of a mandate.  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If I can hit myself in the head with a hammer, so can he.

The chain shouldn't be torn down. I hope...
If it's an artifact it should be indestructable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:59:23 pm by XXSockXX »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26883 on: December 09, 2012, 08:03:27 pm »

Hopefully, yeah. It clearly wouldn't be destroyed, but I'm just hoping a dwarf in a tantrum can't tear down a buildign constructed with the artifact.

My legendary weaponsmith is currently imprisoned. It's worked pretty well, but she hasn't admried the chains or bed yet. At least she won't die in there. Maybe.

Edit;

Some jackass poltergeist dropped a spear into a pond. Not a particularly important spear, as it's imported, iron, and sub-par quality, but still. I need to deal with these ghosts!

Another jackass ghost scared a little boy to death, right in front of his sister!
Liaison offered to make our land a barony. I don't usually refuse, but I don't want to have to deal with a damn noble at the moment. I'm currently engraving plenty of slabs for the more troublesome haunts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:36:18 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26884 on: December 10, 2012, 02:15:19 am »

Canyontalon received its third siege in the year of 142.  The first siege was paltry, perhaps 15 enemy soldiers.  The second was about 30.  The third was over a hundred.

Thirty discordant axeponies, thirty discordant swordsponies, thirty discordant marksponies and a smattering of miscellaneous other soldiers, war jaguars, war leopards and tanks surrounded the walls.  The fifty seven soldiers answered the call to duty and filled the courtyard while the twenty among them armed with bows took to the fortifications.

Arrows rained on the attackers for days as they closed around from all sides.  The jaguars and leopards all fell quickly to the trap network, but the discordant ponies were wise enough to stay back.  The archers could still reach them however, and in short order they found their tank mounts dead beneath them.  Over thirty discordant ponies lost their lives to the arrows, and by the time their own marksponies arrived the siege was so thoroughly demoralized that they all broke and ran.

The only injury was suffered by private Lana Ovekchin, who was struck many times by the bolts of an elite discordant unicorn markspony.  Her rear legs were badly broken by the silver bolts, and second company's captain called for them to pull back before anyone else was badly injured or slain.  While she was carried off to be treated, first and third companies poured from the opened gate and cut down the fleeing axeponies and swordsponies.  This is war, where honor has no place.

It took over a month to clean the landscape of the corpses and their belongings.

When I smashed the junk, I also smashed 4 masterwork arrows.  Josephina Ovekchin almost lost her marbles over that, but she was kind enough to just rip up a road and throw some things instead of go berserk and rip up her daughter riding on her back.  I can't wait for the next siege!

In the months after the siege, the fort's old and only brewer Lenin died of old age.  As he was laid to rest, one of the mechanics took over his job, since there was so little need for mechanics in Canyontalon now.  Four new griffawns hatched too.  Canyontalon's future looks bright.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26885 on: December 10, 2012, 03:14:39 am »

After realizing that some of my dwarves were carrying around 133Γ-144Γ copper shields, I realized there was a bit of a problem with my (semi-mega)beastman races for my Evil Civs mod; apparently, despite using the same (vanilla) shield design as every other race, their shields weigh more than 15x as much (closer to 16x, actually). Dwarves carrying iron shields of dwarven make are not encumbered by their 8Γ shields, but anyone carrying a beastman-made iron shield is lugging around a hunk of metal weighing in at 127Γ, and isn't gettign any extra defensive bonus out of it. I've decided that from now on my beast men will have their own, separate shield entries, rather than using the vanilla shields, because it's rather inconvenient that so many of my soldiers are encumbered so heavily and I have no simple way of getting the bloody things out of their hands, because they're considered by the game to be identical to dwarven-made shields in terms of armor assignments.

I also notice that there is some degree of variation among the lighter-weight shields. I suspect that humans and dwarves also make different-mass shields, as all of the iron shields designed by my own smiths weigh 8Γ, as do a few foreign shields that I suspect are dwarven/goblin/cobald in origin, while many other sheilds are either 10Γ (corresponding to humans/tigermen) or 127Γ (corresponding to the beastmen).

Obviously the best possible shields for your typical infantry are of dwarven make, as they are lightest by weight while probably offering the same protection in terms of combat code. Therefore, I shall from now on smelt down all foreign shields for raw materials. I think the heavier shields would likely make for one hell of a blunt weapon in melee combat, but these things are heavy to the point dwarves are moving... pretty damn slow.

Also, my fortress is nearly overflowing with dingo men/women now, and I can't figure out how to operate Dfusion/the friendship utility. Anybody got some advise? I'd like to see these SOB's help out a little.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:17:14 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26886 on: December 10, 2012, 03:30:00 am »

Yeah, dowload the latest realease of it. the friendship and fusion stuff are more or less fixed, but burial is a bit of an issue, as will clothing them unless they can wear human or dwarven attire.

On the upside though is if you're lucky, you can assign the dingofolk under a dwarven sergeant and have easily disposable soldiers. Did that once with antmen, worked out pretty well. Hell I'd suggest bringing antmen to supplement dwarven miners because they don't need sleep and are fairly speedy.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26887 on: December 10, 2012, 03:41:10 am »

Life in Shadeswords has been a bit cyclical for the past few years.

Every spring the mayor changes (there have been repeats, but none of the teens have held the post for consecutive terms yet.) 
The latest one keeps asking for figurines to be made.  Annoying.

The supply of brass blocks builds up a bit, and then is drained down in the construction of Castle Brass.  (Though at this point the copper roof is being worked on while the last outer walls are being erected.  Next step is interior furnishings, fortification carving, and installing the garrison and nobles in fine comfort.)

Goblin ambushers turn up a few times a year - no sieges yet.  At this point when an ambush squad is detected entering a tunnel one of the militia squads is chosen at random to go destroy it.  So the goblins are being axed, speared, sworded, or hammered by turns.  I should give the marksdwarves a turn as well.

A child went insane from a failed mood (I did not notice the kid hung up in a craftdwarves' workshop until it was too late.  Once the child wandered into his room I locked him and left him there to starve.  Listed as missing still since no one has discovered the body.)  Other moods have resulted in a few interesting items such as an adamantine buckler, but nothing truly wonderful.  The fortress does have three legendary armorsmiths now and a few weaponsmiths as well.  Useful for the on-going upgrade from iron to steel for the garrison.

Ravens and buzzards have been buzzing around the works.  Practice for the marksdwarves.  Plus one entrance now has a low entry and some cave crocodiles posted there.  They will be supplemented by grizzly bears assuming the pair the elves traded the fortress prove fertile.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26888 on: December 10, 2012, 03:52:15 am »

Yeah, dowload the latest realease of it. the friendship and fusion stuff are more or less fixed, but burial is a bit of an issue, as will clothing them unless they can wear human or dwarven attire.

On the upside though is if you're lucky, you can assign the dingofolk under a dwarven sergeant and have easily disposable soldiers. Did that once with antmen, worked out pretty well. Hell I'd suggest bringing antmen to supplement dwarven miners because they don't need sleep and are fairly speedy.

Thanks. I asked in the DFhack thread and Warmist pointed ut how to invoke the command. Also, after doing this they began pickign up [small] clothing which I believe was introduced by the cobald caravans I've been robbing. I guess cobalds are roughly the size of dingo men. Which gives me an excuse to actually buy clothes off them, I suppose.

Unfortunately the dingo men still can't be assigned labors, because... I dunno. I removed the tag in c_variation_default.txt that added the [PET_EXOTIC] tag, so I figured I shouldn't have the "ready for slaughter: yes/no" line, but it's still there, preventing me from assigning labors.
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26889 on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:10 am »

That's weird. We have a human in spearbreakers working as a carpenter thanks to DFhack (was a bowyer, got assigned carpentry.) I'm also reminded that they may need to make artifacts or become legendries to assign in some instances a bedroom or to a squad. They will however sleep or claim rooms on thier own if memory serves.

EDIT: Booted up my War Fortress (basically a copy of DF with civs and such built around above average violence without things beeing too unsurvivable) first thing that happens in the human settlement of Blackstar is a recently caught giant olm mauling a kobold, earning the name Kedspecut, Seasoncraft. The humans of the comedic society have also learned a few facts about cave croc training. Building the inn is going slowly due to my insistance that it be built from orthoclase, we just finished roffing over the Admin Building which is almost entirely composed of Flux stone, mostly marble.

And a minotaur shows up! Time for it to meet Onager Townsend and his doomhammer.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26890 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:54 am »

Well, I got that all sorted out now, and probably gave Warmist a nice hand-shaped mark on his face. I really need to pay more attention to my awful modding practices.

So, now the dingo men are proper members of my fortress, and I can assign labors to them, except that they still can't be assigned to squads. And I have to assign their labors manually, so I have a lot of work on the horizon.
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26891 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:56 am »

On the upside you alos now have an army of haulers if their numbers are that high.

The minotaur met Onager. Guess who won? If you guessed the minotaur you were sadly mistaken. Light armor and wooden shield evidently can make a MASSIVE difference for a human soldier.

EDIT: Neyi Scarclobbers the Tremendous Stench. Good GOD that's terrible name.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26892 on: December 10, 2012, 04:54:04 am »

Well, it did increase the work force by more than a dozen, but a lot fo them were still children. Luckily, they also ahvea  1-year childhood and at no point are they a "baby," so they'll probably be the fastest-growing segment of the workforce, if they still breed without marriage. Most of the women are probably pregnant already, anyway.

In other news, the paklara caravan showed up, and now I have a chance to export more mechanisms. MOAR MECHANISMS!!
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26893 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:37 am »

even if they don't breed without marriage, they'll probably get hitched and keep popping out the pups, possibly in multples. Also once one makes an artifact you should be able to assign them to a squad.

Forgot to give humans pearlash making like an idiot (really more a gameplay and theme thing really) so i had to enable that to finish the admin building needed: Clear glass windows. Why? BECAUSE. We've also had a birth, a little girl bornto our legendary furnace operator and appraiser...well, named Furnace. Named the child Snapshot since she likes snapping turtles and crossbows. We've also become lightly learned with giant olms.

EDIT: A small scale dark strangler seige came, likely disrupting trade with home, not that we need anything important except for booze maybe for those few alcoholics amongst us, which we can cover. Never thought I'd end up living off of home foraged cavern plants and booze as a human settlement so early. Highlight of the fight was Onager's sister Breaker, who got punched in the back of the head by a dark strangler. Breaker put a sword through the strangler's head in response. I actually lucked out, my entire milita was gathered doing solo drills when the stranglers attacked so everyone was armed and ready from the getgo who needed to be.

Also, one of the Shadow-Walkers, Arrowhead, beat down a kobold, but compared to 9 badly equipped (but well armed with chalbys weapons) milita facing down double thier number, it isn't nearly as impressive outside of managing to catch the little bastard.

Double EDIT: Evidently I misread the months somewhere. Elfen caravan arrived, and the enemy was routed. of 19 stranglers, only 7 died. The rest fled the field minus multple appendages. Arrowhead strangled the kobold to deal, and a giant lizard assigned to Onager killed another, ripping off all its limbs before biting with enough force to pop out its guts where it promptly bled out whilst being used as a chew toy.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26894 on: December 10, 2012, 06:39:51 am »

So I recently discovered that glass makes for some decent trap material... but it could be because I haven't encountered anything in iron just yet.  I had just turned invaders back on once I had a few squads in iron armor and weapons and they had proficient skills and I had also begun to trap my main hallway.  At the moment it has three rows of weapon traps that each have 2 green glass discs, 2 green glass giant axe blades, and 2 green glass spiked balls.  Shortly after turning invaders back on I had a minotaur pay me a visit.  He took one step onto a trap and exploded.  Since my dwarves are also cannibals they quickly took his body to the butchers and had hamburgers.  Then a goblin ambush arrived, composed of archery goblins so I put every military dwarf below the stairs so they wouldn't be out ranged.  The goblins never made it past the second row of traps before they exploded too.  Can't wait to get my hallway built and put even more traps for when the goblinite clad enemies arrive so I can see how well the glass will fair against them.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 ... 3842