Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1790 1791 [1792] 1793 1794 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122385 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26865 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:03 pm »

You should never use DFhack the first time you're playing DF ;-;

Well, to each his own. But the first time you play a game is so much more different to any time else; why would you play it any way other than in blind chaos? :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26866 on: December 08, 2012, 09:20:05 pm »

So I found adamantite.  The king arrived, and was a vampire so is thus restricted to his quarters.  However, I am afraid to mine said adamantite because according to DFhack... it's connected to a black square that is not revealed and goes straight down into the magma sea, and hell, so I'm a little worried.  I've honestly never hit adamantite before so I'm afraid to pierce it and risk possible demons when I'm not sure if I could handle them.

When mining adamantine, you should never tunnel out the spire itself. Only take the veins of adamantine jutting out of the spire. Also, the best practice for mining it is to mine out the entirety of the area around it on a particular z-level, before taking even those arms off it. The tunnel to hell is always a 2x2 hole in the center, connected by at least one channel/ramp to layers above and below it. Using this, you can judge where, if at all, this hole is, because the area it is contained in must bea t least a 4x4 block of tiles around the 2x2 hollow space, and the hollow space on one z-level must be connected to the same spaces above and below it, which also must be 4x4 blocks.

But you can always safely mine off the top-most z-level of a spire; it isn't hollow. Every other z-level (at least, the tube in the middle) is a risk you shouldn't take until you have an army of 40-50 legendary warriors, war-beasts, and marksdwarves. And maybe some other impressive traps like obsidianizers and cave-ins.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26867 on: December 08, 2012, 09:27:44 pm »

I've been playing for about 2-3 years, mate.  I just normally die before I hit adamantite.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26868 on: December 08, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »

I've been playing for about 2-3 years, mate.  I just normally die before I hit adamantite.
You should never use DFhack to spoilery the spoiler ;-;

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26869 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »

I can't get a second steel minecart to show up for the whole thing of pushing one minecart into the magma to push the other out so you can dump it somewhere for obsidian.

I know, this is the "what's going on" thread, not the "help" thread or forum; I made a thread asking for help, then I posted in another thread about the technique I was trying to use, and so far haven't gotten any good leads (in fact, only one response at all)... though maybe I'm being too impatient. I just have a weekend to blow here and the one thing I actually want to work on in DF is some tests I've set up concerning obsidian-casting.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26870 on: December 08, 2012, 09:43:12 pm »

Welp, regardless... I picked off one piece of the adamantine branch... and unleashed hell.  Stationed all 60 of my steel/iron military dwarves (most near legendary) with 20 legendary marksdwarves... and then the first wave of demons arrived and promptly placed all of them in webs followed by setting them all on fire despite the fact I had spread them out just far enough to try and get agro upon the demons arrival.  And thus ended Roadflickers.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26871 on: December 08, 2012, 10:15:32 pm »

I'm digging a pretty deep staircase now, just so that in the future I will be able to build a lot deeper without having to worry about digging that staircase then. Also starting to build my barracks area.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26872 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:10 pm »

A few goblin ambushes have made it past the watchdog towers, and almost entered the fort. I've been playing with the Coinstar training method (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117154.0) and have 4 legendary axelords clad in bronze gear.

The two ambushes that have made it to the fort so far this autumn have been reduced to a fine mist of blood and scattered body parts. The axelords apparently have decided that torturing goblins is better than a straight decapitation or bisection, since page after page of combat reports involves the systematic removal of all non-essential body parts, starting with the hands and feet and working their way up.

Disturbing.

Catstorm

• Escaped Lunatic
  • bluh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26873 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53:06 am »

Sandbasement has almost fell.

It was my best fortress. Ambushes were stopped before anyone could even get in. It had a well-oiled military and was almost self-sufficient and safe, save for the cave monsters that came from the map edges. The first step in its downfall was that about 70 undead appeared. This isn't a bad biome nor was there any necromancer around, nor did I get the message that the dead walk. I guess sometimes body parts just get sick of being dead and leave the refuse pile for a new life. Thus I locked everyone in. It wasn't that bad since we had just got a load of trees from the last merchants.

Then the siege came. I watched as the zombies devastated the goblins. Next the dwarves started freaking out since there had been some...issues both above and underground. They were also having babies left and right. Marksdwarves wasted their precious arrows on uselessly shooting the corpses from across the moat with poor aim. Most were too afraid to go chop down a tree in a safe area just because they could see the zombies. When I did make my marksdwarves go after the undead, they didn't know how. I tried to set up fortifications but no one would get near the walls, even. It was embarrassing.

Next the migrants came. I opened the second gate in hopes that they could get in there and I could close it, securing them. This was a bad idea. They huddled together and tried to fight off the oddly quick partial skeletons but failed. Instead of gaining migrants, I housed an undead dwarven child. I had to off it and another sudden invader. Dwarves were dying and moods were falling and it sucked. I was sick of tantrum spirals and no one re-constructing the mason's workshop for coffins, plus I needed a little Fun, so I opened all the gates and set all the military to kill the undead. It was interesting at first to watch my sub-par military try. I then...locked the front door. At least ten of them stood waiting for it to be unlocked. Some elves came in a caravan and a few got distracted to go kill them. After contemplating how hilarious it was, I stopped forbidding the door and everyone* died. There are now about 50 undead skirting the map.

*There is a mortally wounded child hiding from the rest. There are four ghosts in the same tile. She appears to have killed one of the zombies and is starting to throw tantrums. I can only wait and then open Legends. Fun!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Legends says that the zombies were re-animated by "unknown forces." :\
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:09:14 am by Catstorm »

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26874 on: December 09, 2012, 01:11:41 am »

I am currently ecstatic about my Duchess. When the time for promotion came, I just picked a dwarf at random, and did I luck out! Her preferences are short swords and ballista parts. Also earrings, but I can tolerate that.

I am also setting up my trapped entrance hall. Alternating 10x serrated steel disc traps and atom smashers should thin the herd somewhat.

And for those who haven't done it before, it is good fun to drop a couple of dozen dumped rocks from a bridge onto the heads of the trolls trapped underneath it.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Grump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26875 on: December 09, 2012, 04:29:16 am »

So my previous fort ended up in a tantrum spiral.  Apparently, one of my fairly good macewarriors (well, my entire military force was only equipped well enough to provide as pest-control, but still) had a spat with one of the Gorlaks(?) that came in from the underground cave system and had a miscarriage from the combat.  She was pretty depressed - so much so that she saw it fitting to bash in the heads of two sleeping dwarves.  And then everybody starting spiraling.  RIP North Furnace

Now I've just atom-smashed two waves of migrants.  Going to do things slow, control my construction, keep dwarves happy, and let their reproduction be the only method of populating the fortress.  Set up a small sand industry that'll bring me in some income so that I can trade for goods that a 7-man fortress can't quite muster up yet. 
Let's hope Showerglaze can be a bit happier :)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26876 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:58 pm »

Generated a new world and started playing. I couldn't find any iron (didn't use prospect all that time) so I was almost ready to stop playing that fort but then I breached the first caverns.
I couldn't believe what the dorfs found.

Candy! Praise the miners!
In the first caverns.
I used prospect all and darn it, there were 10456 units of candy in that 4x4 embark. Almost all of it from two tube. (I think that there were 4)  They were the second highest candy spirals I have seen (after the famous space elevator). Two 97 z-levels tall tube both starting at -12 and reaching 85.

I chose to keep playing
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26877 on: December 09, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

Need the seed  :o
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26878 on: December 09, 2012, 05:40:31 pm »

What with the observatory having been completed, the staircase to somewhere at zlvl +76, the ravens having been defeated in Silentthunders and subdued within the abandoned burial grounds (I'm making a raven bomb), I've finally got the chance to start flooring over the unfinished sections within the Fort and begin focusing on internal structures. First up on the renovators list: Brand new barracks!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basically my barracks are placed to ensure that wherever the Fort needs security, it'll have on duty active and armed/armoured soldiers protecting it whilst being productive (train all day everyday!). This particular part of my Fort happens to be the most insecure part of my Fort, which of course I just realized in a shock horror moment that for years undead ravens had access to my grand stockpiles (which I made completely open with multiple zlvls) - meaning fliers would have an absolute field day.
Luckily they always appeared from the Western area of the Fort, and by now it's too late - already am I getting legendary swordwarves, axelords and better organizing training sessions in this new Fort to be.

Before:
  • Basically just walled off grassland connected to a hospital.

After:
  • Completely floored over with blocks, sleeping accommodation, coffers, cabinets, training areas, stockpiles and bins, access to the entire arsenal of the Fort + food stockpiles and is now also the largest barracks in the Fort... Once it gets a roof.
  • Will soon accommodate firing ranges (currently there are many underground, but it'd help to have marksdwarves training close to where likely fighting will be).

As a side note, that block on the right is one of Silentthunder's hospitals; also the only which has a dining room designated within (viewing tables). On the top left is the base of a tower which has been renovated to be fit for habitation for a Dwarf - a grand bedroom. Just below is a glimpse of the pathway to the caverns. Currently being paved over with blocks and then paved over with stone traps.
I really don't like zombie trogs. Just about anything truly Fun should get through them with ease, and it doesn't stop zombies (well, it does but they just get back up again) so I honestly don't mind breaking my own no-traps rule. Because I can't afford to lose any more guard-piglets, but I have 5000 mechanisms and a whole lot of stone.
So I brought the two to the logical conclusion.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26879 on: December 09, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »

Been closely watching dwarven politics in action; the fort just elected its 12th mayor in 13 years.  Been a constant power struggle between a guy and his wife along with two other notable couples (all of whom are still alive); the election of Kib Geshudkikrost, incumbent broker and widow of a notable axedwarf has shaken things up quite a bit.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 1790 1791 [1792] 1793 1794 ... 3842