Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122784 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26835 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »

In a first, to restock the under supplied hospital, the little blighters all sprinted out of the gates to steal all the cloth from the elven traders as they wandered up to my fort.

I think they will trade, but if I were them, I'd be a little miffed....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26836 on: December 07, 2012, 10:00:59 pm »

A zombie roc huh. This should be interesting.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26837 on: December 07, 2012, 10:03:09 pm »

I vote it be made a centerpeice in a zoo.

A child got whacked bya snatcher today, and was interred beside an unfortunate woodworker who died years earlier to the now long eaten giant flying squirrel Lordrushed. ONa dwarven scale, sad. on a plaerscale, JOYOUS OCCASION! BOOZE FOR ALL.
« Reply #26838 on: December 07, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »

I was looking for a way to upgrade my mayor's bedroom, and then this happened:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26839 on: December 07, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »

I vote it be made a centerpeice in a zoo.

Sorry. Around twenty seconds after it showed up a siege of one hundred showed up, so it had to be put down, along with the siege. However sadly i lost my milita commander.
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26840 on: December 07, 2012, 11:01:36 pm »

And now I has a sad.

Because I mean come on, a zombie roc for a zoo centerpeice? Bad. Ass.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26841 on: December 07, 2012, 11:02:29 pm »

And now I has a sad.

Because I mean come on, a zombie roc for a zoo centerpeice? Bad. Ass.

I know. Too bad.

EDIT:
That was alittle easy...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:14:04 am by Fishybang »

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26842 on: December 08, 2012, 02:19:49 am »

I am currently setting up a pillbox for my recently-captured fire imp to throw fireballs from. The next siege should be interesting, since away from the fireballs is also towards my 10x large serrated steel disc traps. Lots of !!carnage!! shall ensue.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26843 on: December 08, 2012, 03:33:27 am »

Shadeswords is busy.  Beneath the desert to the west of the fortress the orthoclase foundations for Castle Brass have been laid down.  The foundry is turning out brass block for construction to begin soon.  At which time the woodcutters and other workers will clear the surface for the miners to channel in to uncover the ready foundation so that construction of the main walls may begin. 

Enthusiasm in running high in the population as two of the last three moods have resulted in brass artifacts (a large brass serrated disc and a brass war hammer.)  The latter will be given to the appropriate militia unit while the former will get a place of honor in the fortification outworks where it can harvest the blood of the annoying buzzard flocks.

Goblin activity has been light recently.  There was a kobold incursion that resulted in two kobolds not being spotted until they were well within the fortress.  One even got into the main dining hall while sneaking towards the artifact vault.  At that point he was shot down by passing marksdwarves and then chomped in the head by one of the guard crocodiles in the dining room.  (The vault itself is guarded by two tame giant cave spiders.)  The other kobold was cornered by a spear squad near the Main Gate and skewered.

Militia training is proceeding well.  Some of the initial small units are receiving steel armor now, and have also started to reach "Lord" skill levels in their main weapons.  A "coinstar" room has been implemented for auxiliary training of armor use and has been very effective in that regard.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Grump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26844 on: December 08, 2012, 06:02:15 am »

The North Furnace is taking off quite well.  I've finally gotten through my rounds of "learning curve" forts (where I make a little progress, find out some core mechanic and decide to abandon + make a new fort using this newly discovered mechanic) and progress is running along nicely.  Still haven't gotten far time-wise, but I feel I'm actually getting somewhere WHILE keeping all my dwarves happy (which is new for me).  I'm finding out that a lot of my previous ideas (like having a whole z-level dedicated to processing gems) were just silly and were causing me to lose organization.  Streamlining stockpiles, learning what wheelbarrows are actually used for (and how they are used), and how to properly sort out "finished goods" and "furniture" stockpiles are all helping.  I never would have thought having more than one stockpile for furniture was ever beneficial, much less borderline necessary.

I guess you could say I'm finally finding my addiction!  :)  Here's to North Furnace!

PS: Unfortunately,  learning my way around the system makes me really realize just how utterly stupid slightly-less-smart these dwarves are.  Some of them better be glad I don't know to work lava yet.

So I started telling my miners to engrave a single picture on the empty wall of each bedroom.  They started out nice - the starting of the North Furnace, my fortress symbol (which is apparently two cut gems???), some dwarves, happy things like that.  So since I see that they have some good amount of sense as to what they engrave on surfaces, I tell them to engrave all the walls in the dining room.  I see two renditions of when a kobold made off with a Bismuth bronze spear....  I hate artistic licensing.

On the plus side, they don't seem to know about my poor farmer that got inadvertently atom-shashed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:40:13 am by Grump »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26845 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:12 am »

Ah, so you understand digital watches and computers at this point.   :D

After wheelbarrows come mine carts.  They are fun.  Brings a whole new level to storage and movement of materials.  And rapid movement of materials combined with sudden stops allows them to contribute to goblin mortality issues.  (Before you reach that point they already contribute to dwarven mortality issues.)

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26846 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:28 pm »

Well I think its is time for the fortress honorboulders to be abandoned.

While only two years old this small fortress that wraps around a volcano has successfully held two naga sieges. The first siege was only one squad and the only beards lost was the marksdwarfs team.

After holding the first siege i had decided to make a series of serrated disk traps at the bridge. To my forts bad luck before the walls and traps were done a three page naga siege appears and begins to tear into the six dwarf militia I had. My dwarfs managed to kill a page and a half of them before retreating and letting the rest into the dining hall, Those poor civilians didnt see it coming.

I think its safe to say that my militia did their best being only outfitted in copper with only two of them having welded cobalt long swords and the other four with two copper battle axes and two copper spears against fully steel clad naga.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26847 on: December 08, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »

A small skirmish at the Moose pit to demonstrate its new found battle applications. The bolts to the top right are being fired from ground level by more Marksdwarves, the windows are all made out of schist (some are frosted over with snow) and of course, the attackers are those bloody ravens.
Silentthunder's observatory is nearing completion with the final scaffolding being removed and the rest of the gems being hauled into place. As such the amount of patrols has increased to ensure no interruptions to its progress take place.
« Reply #26848 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:00 pm »

I had a blind cave ogre wander in from the depths and start pestering my dwarves gathering candy. My military made short of the big bastard. I then started following a random dwarf and it turned out to be the guy assigned to haul the ogre carcass away.

Lemme tell you; I would not want that job. Lugging a huge, smelly ogre body up 50 or so floors just to dump it in the trash.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26849 on: December 08, 2012, 04:39:40 pm »

Didn't get to trade with the dwaren caravan this year; goblins ambushed them and killed a merchant, so they left without even reaching the depot.

With 50% of the population children, which I must use dwarf therapist to manage, little work is getting done, and I have virtually no militia dwarves. I'm gonna turn off invaders and pray for migrants. I really need some extra hands.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 3842