Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1787 1788 [1789] 1790 1791 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122788 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26820 on: December 06, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »

Well, yet another fire erupted in my courtyard, killing at least one dingo woman, turtkey, and some of the llama/sheep population. No major loss, I suppose. I've traced it back to one of the three ‼artifacts‼ that the dragonfire created during the autumn siege of 156. I need some way to deal with those...

I also just noticed that the blaze eliminated the majority of my finished goods stockpiles, including all our splints and crutches.

[Edit]
Half the damn population is children! I need a bloody militia!

And then a poltergeist stole a ☼iron high boot☼ and tossed it out in the middle of nowhere. Jackass.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:13:46 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26821 on: December 06, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »

Any news regarding the demonic fortress?

Not yet.  I'm still trying to get the first floor of the Sphere done, and it's not even Year 2 yet.  Four people died in the deconstruction accidents, and another five are laid up in beds.

Also the third cavern housing said demonic fortress is kind of on fire.
Oh, right, I forgot about the indefinitely burning zombies. I say you should divert the pus moat into the cavern and put out the fire that way. Also, what I normally do when deconstructing floors or other dangerously placed constructions is set up the deconstruct orders every other space, so that no two dwarves are adjacent to each other at any given time.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26822 on: December 06, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »

Any news regarding the demonic fortress?

Not yet.  I'm still trying to get the first floor of the Sphere done, and it's not even Year 2 yet.  Four people died in the deconstruction accidents, and another five are laid up in beds.

Also the third cavern housing said demonic fortress is kind of on fire.
Oh, right, I forgot about the indefinitely burning zombies. I say you should divert the pus moat into the cavern and put out the fire that way. Also, what I normally do when deconstructing floors or other dangerously placed constructions is set up the deconstruct orders every other space, so that no two dwarves are adjacent to each other at any given time.

Yeah, there's about five zombie torches spread through the cavern.  Right now it's just infinite smoke, but every once in a while moss will regrow too close to them and restart another cavern-wide fire with the regrown moss.  I'll probably do a cavern flood, the second cavern is actually a water-filled one so I don't have to pump the lake in.  What I really need is more genome power, though - the summer wave brought me up to 16, buuuut the accidents have that back down to about 7 able bodies right now.

And yes, I learned that the hard way.  At least the Sphere is very dwarven now, what with being painted in pus, revolting goo, and the blood of several genomes who managed to crawl back up out of the lake before bleeding to death.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26823 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:32 pm »

We survived the dragon, although we suffered well over 100 casualties (The vast majority of our population) before killing the dragon, and most of the top floor is ruined. Also the majority of the site has been scorched and is just beginning to grow back. A diplomat has left unhappy even much after the dragon died and people are still dying in the hospital from injuries. The old population of the fort is going to die, for sure, and the only ones who stand a chance are the 20 who just migrated here.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26824 on: December 06, 2012, 06:57:06 pm »

The mayoral merry-go-round continues in Shadeswords.  Solon Rulerfortress was turned out of office after only one term - and replaced by another 14 year-old female dwarf.  More promises of ponies for all citizens I bet.

The former expedition leader has been rewarded by being named baron.  His digs are still under construction, but orthoclase furniture that he is quite pleased with has been installed.  In the meantime he continues with his work as fortress manager and bookkeeper.

The militia squads and approach traps have been getting some work.  Four goblin ambush squads and a number of goblin snatchers have been obliterated.  The ambush squads are generating some odd pathing loops when sealed in, trying all the sealed exits in order rather than head for the fortress proper.  (Which seems sort of wise given the traps and marksdwarf squads waiting down that route.)  The local wildlife comes calling now and then as well - buzzards and now and then a few camels or ibex.  A welcome addition to the larder.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

djsmiley2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Milk Me
« Reply #26825 on: December 07, 2012, 07:14:32 am »

My Queen became a hammerer (?!?!?!)

Then we had an invasion of cyclops children, followed by a ball of mud. A single strike for each one took them down. I want more invasions :(
This is Dwarf Fortress, everything has a fetish for socks.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26826 on: December 07, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

Daggerplayed witnessed another tragedy and there's probably more to come. There was a completely unexplained cave-in in an underground quarry that punched right through to the caverns and carried two miners with it. I didn't notice at first because I was busy organizing the defense against 3 goblin ambushes while simultaneously ordering giant thripses hunted in the farming area. No idea, how those got in. Anyway, one of the fallen miners died, and the other survived for over a month until I noticed she was gone.  She was dehydrated, starving and very unhappy when I got her out - no wonder after enduring miasma from her rotting friend for a month. Luckily, she's a very relaxed and rarely discouraged dwarf, so she only threw one tantrum (putting her pick through some piglet brains) and had a long talk with the mayor.
Now I'll need to find some more miners for the fortress since she's the only skilled one left right now. That accident threw the whole fortress back a few weeks, because stone industry is recovering very slowly.

The damned treehuggers have been behaving very quietly this year... I suspect some bigger attacks are on their way. Or maybe they got discouraged because I killed one of their best archers. Anyway, the goblins are still sending ambushes and snatchers every few months, so life never gets boring in Daggerplayed. The only casualties so far were some unskilled masons that got shot off the unfinished outer walls.

[edit]
...and just when everything seems to calm down a bit, a wave of 30 bloody soapmakers and fishcleaners arrive. I would have preferred 30 elite bowelves riding war grizzly bears appearing in the middle of the meeting hall to another bunch of useless migrants. Actually, "random migrant" is currently the profession name for about 80% of the fort. That's the one for all unskilled labor plus masonry. Only dwarves who really stand out can get a real job.

[edit 2]
That was fun... the elves came again with 6 squads (ambushing, as usual), including grizzly bears, giant eagles and another elite bowman, riding a giant jumping spider. I don't use traps, so there's some lovely red decoration outside the entrance right now. And I really love my mayor: He personally put a bronze bolt through a giant eagle's eye from 15 tiles away. Don't want to disagree with that guy.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:57:23 pm by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26827 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:06 pm »

Boothead continues to grow. Over 210 dwarves, and I get... a migrant wave. I really should go check my init files. I don't think I set the popcap that high.

The construction of the castle towers continues apace. The walls are done, so I can probably hold off any siege, as long as the building destroyers don't reach the gates, or the fast ones make it in before everyone gets inside.

I finally figured out why nobody was hauling anything to the stockpiles anymore. Somehow, on all my custom stockpiles, the settings for "Allow Plant/Animal" and "Allow non-Plant/Animal" were turned off. This resulted, among other things, the loss of so many harvested crops(they rotted in the fields), meat(rotted in the butchery), and fish(also rotted), and now the river has no fish. In fact, I think fish went extinct, since 10% of my migrants seem to be fisherdwarves.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AyeAgree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26828 on: December 07, 2012, 03:51:31 pm »

After failing and running out of booze, I decided to dig to the caves so at least my fortress wouldnt die of thirst. But you know how it is - cave crocodiles. So I sent a squad of 10 (unarmed) dwarves at it, and surprisingly few limbs were lost, but its not dead. Although, it has been... disabled:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So let me reiterate:

My new-found wrestler militia eventually managed knock its teeth out. I imagine each tooth cost at least a finger, but hey, the wonders you can do without weapons. Right now Im manufacturing some training spears to see if I can put it out of its misery.
urist please!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26829 on: December 07, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »

It won't work. I know this from expierience. You'd be better off giving them shields and just having them punch the thing to death, unless you want them to skill up with axes spears and swords.

AyeAgree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26830 on: December 07, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »

Thanks. Thats disappointing though, maybe Ill try and get my woodcutter to use his axe on it. Id leave it alone but its blocking my water supply.
Say, is it possible to make anything with the teeth, like a necklace?

urist please!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26831 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »

I have no idea. i was udner the impression that teeth that got knocked out counted as ivory, but I may be wrong. At my incident with that was a saltwater crocodile. The training axes, swords, and spears did little but beat the thing into unconsciouness until someone punched it in the head ina fit of rage when it killed his friend.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26832 on: December 07, 2012, 06:25:19 pm »

Got my next fort going on, and it's a nice embark.  Magma 50 z levels down, along with the 3rd cavern layer.  Lots and lots of coal, sand, and gems.  Only problem is the only ore is copper, gold, and silver so I need to trade for a lot of the metal I'll need to build a suitable military.  oh well, I got plenty of previous metal and gems to afford it all.  Only problem so far is my favorite  dwarf, my mayor, who has been pretty chill... turns out to be a vampire and he ate my legendary bone carver.  Time for him to meet a bridge.

On the same note... why do my dwarves refuse to melt down the metal items I buy from Human/Dwarf caravans when I mark them to be melted?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26833 on: December 07, 2012, 06:31:07 pm »

The smelters are busy making coke/smelting trade ores clearly (Yeah I have no idea, that's just my guess.)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26834 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »

On the same note... why do my dwarves refuse to melt down the metal items I buy from Human/Dwarf caravans when I mark them to be melted?

Did you also put in an order at the smelter to melt an object? As far as I know, marking stuff to be melted just gives the dwarfs a list of meltables, it doesn't tell them to hop to it.

Say, is it possible to make anything with the teeth, like a necklace?

At a craftdwarfs workshop, look for something like 'make tooth/ivory crafts'. Like all crafts, you can't tell them what exactly to make, and I don't think they use more than one tooth at a time so I wouldn't bet on a string of croc teeth.But I do think that you can decorate with teeth, that could be fun too.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.
Pages: 1 ... 1787 1788 [1789] 1790 1791 ... 3842