Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1786 1787 [1788] 1789 1790 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122959 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26805 on: December 06, 2012, 03:58:51 am »

"An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!"

Lucky. I wanna be at war with elves without modding them to be autohostile  :(

What's wrong with pissing them off by killing the traders every year? Haven't done it in the current version, but it used to work pretty well. The biggest problem ist finding a use for all the useless stuff you get from them.

No real news from Daggerplayed... Some dead kea men are stinking up my main stairway, but I got a roof over it now, so that problem should be solved.
I also started breaching the cavern. I'm building a spiraling ramp around an 11x11 chasm and want it to be isolated from the caves and outside world. This is going to take a while. So far, no one except the flying annoyances got in. A troll tried it's luck and promptly got kebab'd by the "Angelic Mirrors", my squad of speardwarves. The other ones are just hanging out at a safe (for them) distance, but will be dealt with in due time.
After the main ramp is secured, the next bigger project will be bringing magma up. There are rich veins of hematite around -8z and carrying it all down to -102z takes way too long. I think, I'll try something with minecarts. Never tried that before, but building a 100z pump stack would take years to finish and also a big part of my iron reserves.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26806 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:23 am »

What's going on? Oh, you know, the usual.

"Zefon Akrulnåzom, Soap Maker cancels Starting Fist Fight: Seeking Infant."
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26807 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:23 am »

Due to deconstruction pathing being functionally retarded, about half of my population have taken a 15 zlevel fall into the lake.  About half my population is resting the dorms with almost all body parts red, and three have already died.  Just because everyone thinks it's a grand idea to stand directly on a floor someone else is already deconstructing.

This is putting the Sphere back a bit.  I'm going to have to seal coffins - also glass - into the walls of the Sphere.

In less "my megaproject site is now literally red from blood" news, I've started building windows and installing them into the bedroom walls of the Biosphere so the genomes can enjoy a majestic view of the revolting goo-filled lake.  It's yellow like pus, which I find fitting, since at least one syndrome is oozing and so there is actual pus mixed into that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26808 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:28 am »

What's wrong with pissing them off by killing the traders every year? Haven't done it in the current version, but it used to work pretty well. The biggest problem ist finding a use for all the useless stuff you get from them.
Because they're dumb as bricks and keep sending merchants. They're just trolling me at this point. I've put multiple caverns into the ground and yet I continue to be friendly.

How I long for I when I can initiate war.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26809 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47:37 am »

Because they're dumb as bricks and keep sending merchants.

This. My glacial fortress has gone out of it's way to attract angry elves (stealing, trading them wood, killing oen and thier pack critters; STILL NOTHING.) Makes me think they have more brains than the goblins who keep throwing themselves at my icy walls.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #26810 on: December 06, 2012, 12:50:03 pm »

Currently mopping up a decent-sized mess on the masonry floor, after (apparently) I had failed to notice that my bridge drop trap, when triggered, allowed instant access into the aforementioned floor. The good thing was that most of the hostiles that fell were too banged up to do much, but the job cancellation spam was certainly annoying.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26811 on: December 06, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »

Just to make Splint even more envious: Elves with war grizzly bears. Spawning on top of the mountainhome's liaison. Oh my...   :-\ We'll have to see how that works out, but we're at 140 dwarves of which 60 serve the militia, so I'm optimistic. Not so much for the liaison, though  :(

[edit]
One grizzly just chewed the liaison's leg off, because "The Golden Hammers" decided to collectively grab a drink when I ordered them to attack. "The Angelic Mirrors" are guarding the caves at -10z, so "The Stormy Vessels" are currently saving the day by peppering everybody with puppy bone bolts until "The Infamous Diamond Kingdoms" arrive and hopefully break the elven attack. They have neither the equipment nor the training for this kind of encounter, but dealing with a few treehugging hippies and their teddy bears shouldn't be that dangerous... Hopefully.

[edit2]
The caravan still came through, but I couldn't trade because everyone was too busy grabbing rope reed socks and wooden weapons from the dead elves. After the caravan left again, another 3 squads of elves appeared. One has an elite bowelf riding a giant flying squirrel. I'm a tiny little bit scared right now :-X
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:43:18 pm by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26812 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

I have learned dwarves are more than capable of riding mounts; Not dying while on said mounts at the hands of 30 armed barbarians not so much.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26813 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:41 pm »

Had a horrible dream last night; I had made a fortress so convoluted, caravans couldn't make it to the depot before they embarked on their journey again.

So, in my fortress, the caravan just arrived far to the south in the mountains. The cobalds brought with them a mountain wyvern, grizzly bear, and some eagles.

And the brutemen just sent another siege. So much fun to be had!

[Edit:]

Oh the dwarfanity!

There's blood and ashes everywhere! the militia is all but dead, and a dozen or more dwarves burned to death in the fires that spontaneously erupted from the dragons/some kid who likes to throw fireballs who also died.

The siege made it inside through an unfortunate gap in the defenses. I had thought I'd sealed everything in, but by the time I'd relaized it, it was too late. The dwarven caravan, which had also been trying to enter through this area, was the first to be hit. While viewing the location of the combat reports I spotted them; my marksdwarves on a nearby tower had already opened fire, as had the lesser dragon down in the meeting hall. With the hall up in flames (everyone had evacuated already besides the brutemen pouring in and the dragon/caravan gaurds.) I ordered the troops to station outside, to hold the door. The fire, it turns out, didn't like the wooden door I had installed for whatever reason, and soon the courtyard was up in flames and I ordered the troops to move. They did; right into a gap between the fire and pond, which closed to surroudn about 3 of them before they could loop aroudn the other way. All hell broke loose after that. The mage-kid burned to death in the fire he/she helped start (Did qutie some damage before the end, though.) and the militia was torn to shreds by the maceman squads and their mounts.

I stationed them in the beast training zone, where those not already engaged (and dead) and the untrained beasts could hold out. It worked well enough; once the enemy had come in sight of them and the next fight had commenced, the grizzly bears and yeric wyverns joined the fray, and the tide was eventually turned. They quite literally had the run of the place: civilians were dying left, right and center, and all I could do was order some of them into the dining hall and have some miners channel away the floor and remove the ramps, sealing them inside. A pair of recruits with ☼steel battle axes☼ engaged mounted brutmen in the farms, one of them entering a martial trance. They kicked ass, honestly, but I guarantee they're dead now. I have 10 out of 30 militia dwarves remaining, and some of them probably won't make it/may never walk again. That dragon and the majority of the wyverns and bears went down, too.

The brutemen are in retreat now. Lost a lot of good dwarves today. Once the brutemen have fully retreated, I'll have someone wall off that breach. And pray the tigermen/goblins didn't also send ambushes...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:14:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26814 on: December 06, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

Just embarked on a 3x3 site with a volcano and a brook, and over three hundred friendly kobolds who consider the volcano their home.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26815 on: December 06, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »

Just embarked on a 3x3 site with a volcano and a brook, and over three hundred friendly kobolds who consider the volcano their home.
Flood their home with the holy red stuff.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26816 on: December 06, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »

A second siege of brutemen showed up for winter with their general, Frio the troll. Who promptly parked himself in a pond because his cave crocodile mount thought it'd be funny to swim up form under the walls again.

So, the other two squads of axemen and their swordmaster leaders decided to go through the trap hallway (I fixed the breach!), and were smitten with great prejudice. The first to get there, lead by a cyclops, took a hell of a beating and began their retreat when their commander got cut up and fled to the drawbridge, and promptly passed out. The second squad lead by a female ettin charged in while the first was still in retreat, and their leader made it halfway through the weapon traps totally unharmed (dodging and blocking I guess; they weren't jammed) before a marksdwarf and a recruit, apparently having been going to retrieve equipment, showed up and decided it'd be fun to tortment them further. It worked, and now the leader and several of her troops are passed out, while the two dwarves are still going strong. Well, one of them has an injured ear and bruised foot, and is in the middle of the bruteman squad, but meh.

[edit]

Nevermind, they're both dead. But not before the marksdwarf scored 6 kills and the recruit became a hammerdwarf. An enraged minotaur butchered them, but the siege is broken. Damn general never came out of the pond, and now he's gotten away!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:43:14 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26817 on: December 06, 2012, 05:39:42 pm »

I have a strange mood metalsmith who's making something at the moment. Edit: Oh, he finished, it's a silver scepter. Very nice. Now back to making giant silver corkscrews for my defense systems. Meanwhile, construction of the great mine is progressing, I'm getting large amounts of wood from a very nice dense forest I didn't before realize that I had access to, and statues are being placed all over the area near the entrance to the fort itself as decoration.

Also a dragon just showed up and is breathing fire on stuff. Oh, crap.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:48:30 pm by Carric »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26818 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:50 pm »

Due to deconstruction pathing being functionally retarded, about half of my population have taken a 15 zlevel fall into the lake.  About half my population is resting the dorms with almost all body parts red, and three have already died.  Just because everyone thinks it's a grand idea to stand directly on a floor someone else is already deconstructing.

This is putting the Sphere back a bit.  I'm going to have to seal coffins - also glass - into the walls of the Sphere.

In less "my megaproject site is now literally red from blood" news, I've started building windows and installing them into the bedroom walls of the Biosphere so the genomes can enjoy a majestic view of the revolting goo-filled lake.  It's yellow like pus, which I find fitting, since at least one syndrome is oozing and so there is actual pus mixed into that.
Any news regarding the demonic fortress?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26819 on: December 06, 2012, 06:02:22 pm »

Any news regarding the demonic fortress?

Not yet.  I'm still trying to get the first floor of the Sphere done, and it's not even Year 2 yet.  Four people died in the deconstruction accidents, and another five are laid up in beds.

Also the third cavern housing said demonic fortress is kind of on fire.
Pages: 1 ... 1786 1787 [1788] 1789 1790 ... 3842