Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1785 1786 [1787] 1788 1789 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122932 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26790 on: December 05, 2012, 03:06:56 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Celenn has come!  A huge beakless nuthatch.  Otherwise unremarkable except that it apparently sucks blood.   :o  First blood-sucking FB I've ever gotten!

The beginnings of the Biosphere are being laid down.  There's a lot of hiccups in sand collecting, needs moar bags.  So many more bags.  The Sphere will extend down to the lake surface (14 levels below the shown area) and then up another 14.  If possible all genomes and industry will be housed inside the Sphere aside from underground farming.  It might look more like a giant glass cylinder than a sphere, but eh.

Zombies still on fire in the third cavern.  Debating if I should try to put them out with hacked-in water, or leave them for !!FUN!!.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26791 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:00 pm »

Zombies still on fire in the third cavern.  Debating if I should try to put them out with hacked-in water, or leave them for !!FUN!!.

I had that happen, once. It was horrible for the FPS (and for many years prior to opening those caverns I didn't know there were flaming zombies down there, so the abysmal FPS had been a massive WTF for me.), and my plan of action was to simply flood the cavern. Never got around to it.

My fortress progressed smoothly towards absolutely nothing, despite the threat of a zombie apocalypse locked in the hospital and the fact I haven't yet designed a new hospital. Last night, though, I got distracted by Planet Side II, which was immensely fun! I do indeed suck at it, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26792 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:12 pm »

So I had something happen on my fort that I thought was quite neat.  I had a titan show up, whom was a massive humanoid composed of flame. At first, he melted everything that came near him. I was hoping since he was made of fire, I could just bum rush him with a bunch of conscripts and get in one of those "hits the titan in the head, breaking apart the tissue" strikes. That didn't happen. He obliterated half a squad of dwarves, then a caravan and set half the map on fire.  As I was preparing to shut down the fort, one of the members of the mace squad for some unknown reason, decided to haul himself up the mountain and take on the titan. I checked on him a while later and much to my confusion, he wasn't melting. He defeated the titan and returned to the fort, without as much as a single injury. I then noticed it was raining at the time. I'm guessing that's what saved the brave idiot but I had no idea rain would render a flame titan completely harmless.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26793 on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:12 pm »

Last night, though, I got distracted by Planet Side II, which was immensely fun! I do indeed suck at it, though.
VS, NC, or TR?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Urist ZatRethol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26794 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:08 pm »

I recently started a new fort, and this time I decided to try something different. I always set my population cap low (30 to 60 for a new fort) to try and maintain a population of dwarfs I could handle, but this time I chose to set the cap at 200 and control the population by killing migrants. I decided to drop them 23 z-levels into the dining hall, but I think this turned into a mega project like all the pitfall traps I build.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:29:37 pm by Urist ZatRethol »

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26795 on: December 05, 2012, 08:13:52 pm »

Well I have never had a vampire before, but I might have one. this soldier I have has killed sevenhundread and thirty one goblins. Holy crap.
Adapted to the caves

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26796 on: December 05, 2012, 08:25:53 pm »

Immediately after concluding trade negotiations with the elf caravan my broker gave birth to a baby girl, right in the depot. She must have been going through labor the entire time. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during that exchange.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26797 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »

Last night, though, I got distracted by Planet Side II, which was immensely fun! I do indeed suck at it, though.
VS, NC, or TR?

NC, for my first go at it. Mostly because a friend of mine from EVE said he'd be playing NC mostly. Although, I have no idea what server to look for him on, or any other contact information...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26798 on: December 05, 2012, 08:43:51 pm »

NC, for my first go at it. Mostly because a friend of mine from EVE said he'd be playing NC mostly. Although, I have no idea what server to look for him on, or any other contact information...

I'd get that other information from him, just as shame that NC are extremely underpowered as of right now.  I started with them as well and find them daily without any more then 10-15% of any map while TR and VS duke it out and ignore any push we make.  I find myself playing more Vanu than anything because of that.

And back to Dwarf related stuff... after playing Dwarf Fortress for over 2 years... I just realised that designations go across Z-levels.  Certainly made digging down into the caverns a heck of a lot easier than normal.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26799 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53:00 pm »

I'd get that other information from him, just as shame that NC are extremely underpowered as of right now.  I started with them as well and find them daily without any more then 10-15% of any map while TR and VS duke it out and ignore any push we make.  I find myself playing more Vanu than anything because of that.

Actually on the server I was on, the NC controlled almost the entirety of that icy continent.

Dwarves are still going strong for me; I need moar glass though
I make Spellcrafts!

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26800 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »

And back to Dwarf related stuff... after playing Dwarf Fortress for over 2 years... I just realised that designations go across Z-levels.  Certainly made digging down into the caverns a heck of a lot easier than normal.

That's actually a pretty recent development. And yeah, it's very handy.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26801 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:41 am »

Tantruming child (a four year old girl) punches mayor, knocking out some teeth, during an "attend meeting/conduct meeting" session. The kid is unhappy that a dragon burninated her mom (and several other migrants). Mayor stops the meeting to clean up the blood spatter on the floor in his office. Then there is just silence between them until the child calms down and leaves. The child has the thought "She cried on somebody in charge lately and felt great afterward".
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:54:14 am by Urist Da Vinci »

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #26802 on: December 06, 2012, 02:56:01 am »

Tantruming child (a four year old girl) punches mayor, knocking out some teeth, during an "attend meeting/conduct meeting" session. The kid is unhappy that a dragon burninated her mom (and several other migrants). Mayor stops the meeting to clean up the blood spatter on the floor in his office. Then there is just silence between them until the child calms down and leaves. The child has the thought "She cried on somebody in charge lately and felt great afterward".

That... That child is a prime example of a true dwarf.

Her ancestors must be so proud. -Sniffle-
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"
« Reply #26803 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:37 am »

Mining and stone-related stuff has slowed down because my miners decided it would be fun to jump down the central shaft for the waterfall I am building over and over again until their arms broke.

If you ask me, it's just a ploy to get out of work.

In the sunny side of the news at Firearches, there is a family of crippled deer living peacefully at the bottom of a 1 z-level natural waterfall.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:28:05 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26804 on: December 06, 2012, 03:36:31 am »

Welp... my fort had a rather sudden death before the year was over.  I quickly dug to the 2nd cavern, started expanding, never breached any of the layers because I knew I wanted at least one military squad on standby.  Apparently my channeling to allow and underground depot ended up breaching the 2nd layer and soon I had trogoldytes, crundles, and a spider swarming my fortress.  My single copper geared dwarf was no match. :\
Pages: 1 ... 1785 1786 [1787] 1788 1789 ... 3842