Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1779 1780 [1781] 1782 1783 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123431 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26700 on: December 01, 2012, 09:16:13 am »

Ouch.  Is any of the hematite _not_ in an aquifer?

Nope. And I misread the description of a few layers: no sand.

At least I brought 20-25 coal with me, and have a bit of coke to start getting a few things ready.

Plenty of trees, wildlife, and water though, so I'm gonna be able to get through the aquifer sometime. Just gotta figure out how to get that hematite. Thinking some form of obsidian casting (possibly melting the ore), or a huge drain system (time consuming, haven't done it before).

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26701 on: December 01, 2012, 09:50:29 am »

Ouch.  Is any of the hematite _not_ in an aquifer?

Nope. And I misread the description of a few layers: no sand.

At least I brought 20-25 coal with me, and have a bit of coke to start getting a few things ready.

Plenty of trees, wildlife, and water though, so I'm gonna be able to get through the aquifer sometime. Just gotta figure out how to get that hematite. Thinking some form of obsidian casting (possibly melting the ore), or a huge drain system (time consuming, haven't done it before).

I've used obsidian casting to open up a big ~40X40 hole through the middle of an aquifer.  It was a pretty big project.  If you wanna go for it, it'll be epic, but at this point it's probably easier just to wait for a rich vein of goblinite to come your way.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26702 on: December 01, 2012, 10:41:30 am »

I just got a migration wave of around 50 dwarves. They're proving to be quite useful with all the hauling that needs done, and I'm starting up my metals industry having stumbled upon quite a bit of magnetite, galena, and tetrahedrite.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26703 on: December 01, 2012, 11:34:01 am »

Elven caravan attempting a trade.
Gets killed by random wildlife.
Gets reanimated by passing necromancer.
SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!

Hmm, what can I do now? Oh yeah! Let's send my 30 untrained military dwarves outfitted with clothes and no armor to fight the dead people out there!

*7 minutes later*
Hmm, that didn't go as expected. Everybody's dead now. At least I have 20 people manning the fort. Let's close the drawbridge.

*10 minutes later*
Hmm. Wouldn't my trap hall stop the corpses? Let's try forbidding everything and letting them come to me.

*2 minutes later*
Hey, it's working! No corpses anymore! Let's unforbid everything and start fresh.
Why are people dying? Damn, there was a corpse left. And now everyone's haunting the fortress. Well shoot, I can still salvage this.

*3 minutes later*
*Abandon fortress*
Let's be more careful with zombies from now on...
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26704 on: December 01, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »

I've used obsidian casting to open up a big ~40X40 hole through the middle of an aquifer.  It was a pretty big project.  If you wanna go for it, it'll be epic, but at this point it's probably easier just to wait for a rich vein of goblinite to come your way.

Glad to know that it would work.

I would have to sink a huge plug into the aquifer, so I could get magma in a pump stack past the 7 or so layers of aquifer. After making a holding tank, I would then have to route it to specific points on the surface, and tunnel it back in where I need it. Not to mention the power train and everything else I would need built...

Very dwarven, at least.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26705 on: December 01, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »

There was a bit of Fun in my fortress. About ~4 dwarves were killed by an ambush as a result of my letting the dorfs stay out too late in the season. One of which was a child killed by a thief who took the kid's arm off.

Two of the casualties were soldiers, who were outside when I gave the order to form up for battle. They of course bumrushed the enemy and were slaughtered without causing any injury whatsoever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26706 on: December 01, 2012, 02:57:02 pm »

Glad to know that it would work.

I would have to sink a huge plug into the aquifer, so I could get magma in a pump stack past the 7 or so layers of aquifer. After making a holding tank, I would then have to route it to specific points on the surface, and tunnel it back in where I need it. Not to mention the power train and everything else I would need built...

Very dwarven, at least.

What I did was to first clear out the level just above the aquifer.  Then to channel out a perimeter around the area I wanted to open up.  Then to pour magma over the water-filled perimeter channel, and then to drain excess magma.  I then channeled out the center of the plug.  By the time I was done, the center was full of water, however, once the full center was cleared out, there were no remaining aquifer walls, so no further water could be generated.  I then pumped all of that water out of the plug and into a neighboring chunk of aquifer.  This gave me a dry (but muddy) clear area, with intact ores, gems and rocks.  I was then able to repeat the process on the next z-level down, but with a perimeter that was moved inwards one square.

It's a huge pain, but if you want all that hematite, I think you pretty much have to do something like this.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26707 on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:49 pm »

After finding the PERFECT embark, I got wiped out by a giant wolverine. NOOOOOOOO. RAAGGEE.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26708 on: December 01, 2012, 03:30:04 pm »

After finding the PERFECT embark, I got wiped out by a giant wolverine. NOOOOOOOO. RAAGGEE.

Reclaim.  Capture, train, and breed giant wolverines.  Throw captured gobblins into the wolverine pit and laugh.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26709 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »

Well I finally broke into the third cavern layer, I got two pools of magma plus adamantite veins.  I began to explore the layer to get it mapped out as well as got digging plans to move all my dwarves 70 Z-levels down to be near the good stuff when I noticed something horrible.  I explore caverns with my military and the leader of the expedition was my Master speardwarf who had 5 Forgotten Beast kills in her name, as well as master shield/armor/dodger skills, that she killed solo and she encountered a lone jabberer.  It brained her in a single hit through her steel helm.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26710 on: December 01, 2012, 04:31:15 pm »

Just beginning a new fort. My farm is small enough that only 1 farmer is needed, and there are no fish to catch. The first immigrant wave contained nothing but farmers and fishery workers haulers.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26711 on: December 01, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »

For the first time, I'm mining adamantine! :) Found two strands, one of which had only one minable level, the other had 3. Going to keep exploring the magma sea and hope to find a third; at the same time working on a way to mine in the magma.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26712 on: December 01, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »

Time for some good news/bad news!

The good news is, I found more veins of adamantine. The bad news is, a forgotten beast decided to show up and attack, blocking the way to the mines. The good news is, we killed the beast! The bad news is, my entire army is covered in Forgotten Beast extract. The good news is, it hasn't done anything. The bad news is... Yet. The good news is, we spotted a kobold thief before he stole anything. The bad news is, he slipped past our traps. The good news is, the cave spider I put by my trapped hall to stop trapavoid creatures spat web at the kobold. The bad news is, he got a dwarf instead, who was hit by about 25 traps. The good news is, he lived. The bad news is, barely.

Scratch that. Turns out being KOed on a trap makes it keep attacking you till you die.

Even worse, he was carrying a baby. He didn't make it. :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:15:32 pm by UristMcDonald »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26713 on: December 01, 2012, 05:16:47 pm »

I am confident the spider is doing this on purpose. He crossed the gap into the hallway to keep spitting webs at the kobold and ended up killing another dog, and leaving webs on the traps. Thankfully, the first dwarf's body jammed the trap, so the other one should be fine.

EDIT:

This is not good. Half the fort seems to have decided to make a run for the corridor at this point.

EDIT2:

Well, its over. The kobold is dead. But with him, he took a fooddwarf, his baby, and a random dwarven child. Not to mention my best spearman's right leg, which got chopped off. And he dropped the artifact shield he was carrying... Thankfully, not into the river.

EDIT3:

My best soldier tried to drag himself away from the trap, passed out, and had his head chopped off. Good job, spider!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:25:11 pm by UristMcDonald »

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26714 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »

Just hit the first cavern level of a new fortress. Up until now I have been trading large quantities of lead crafts and prepared meals to the traders for raw food, booze, and metals otherwise unavailable. The cave is covered in Native gold, it's fucking everywhere so no more lead crap for me or the traders.

On the downside I now have to redo everyone's housing with solid gold furniture.

Shame I can't build golden toilets just to rub my wealth in the elves faces a bit more because they'll still be getting lead until I run out, that's what they get for refusing to trade me booze when everyone was sobering up last year.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.
Pages: 1 ... 1779 1780 [1781] 1782 1783 ... 3842