Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1778 1779 [1780] 1781 1782 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123532 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26685 on: November 30, 2012, 08:40:43 pm »

I've been going with her above average size and high disease resistance. If she hadn't managed to pop the thing with her crossbowstock before it strung her up again it would have gotten her with bloodloss.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26686 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »

Finally, a dwarf after my own heart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26687 on: November 30, 2012, 09:38:06 pm »

Decorate his/her memorial with skirts. And female vampires wearing them for eternity.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26688 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

Maybe it's wrong of me, but I lol'd.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26689 on: November 30, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »

Decided to try a new embark, on a world thats only 2 years old (3 at embark).

Aquifer? Check.
Sphalerite and hematite? Check.
Sand? Check.

A quick look underground (DFHack reveal, just curious) reveals the hematite to be firmly stuck in sandstone, which is the aquifer. 7 layers deep at that. At least there are a few soil layers (including sand, yay) that I can use to get a foothold while attempting to use the little bit of stone I brought to get through to the diorite below.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26690 on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:04 pm »

Bronzehammers is happily into it's second year, and is dug into the wall of a canyon, with a waterfall past the dining room, apparently so the dwarves can watch an astounding number of fish committing suicide by swimming over it.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26691 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:54 am »

My fort fell to a single forgotton beast that happened upon my dwarf settlement. I had just finished most of the above ground fort when it killed the intire population of dorfs. I came back with two soldiers, and were swept aside one hit each tearing their skulls open.  Back to the fort I mentioned. I was planning to make the fort run off of fish and plants for drinks since a small river was by it while my undergournd city would live off of plants, etc. Now Before I decided to go back

The almost complete fort I reside in untill I can take back the great halls back

An enormus eyeless lizard. It has a pair of knobby antennae and it udulates rhymically. Its copper scales are blocky and close-set. Beware its webs!
Adapted to the caves

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26692 on: December 01, 2012, 12:37:18 am »

Perhaps she has amazing endurance/disease resisitance, then. I once had a miner drop himself into a cavern lake 3 z-levels underwater. Took him an astounding amount of time to climb out, but he survived regardless. He most certainly was drowning, though.

Sometimes the RNG favors individuals without any particular reason. And then the next day, dumps them in the magma sea as a result of a string of unfortunate coincidences.

Armok.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:42:05 am by Volour »
Adapted to the caves

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26693 on: December 01, 2012, 12:41:05 am »

Decided to try a new embark, on a world thats only 2 years old (3 at embark).

Aquifer? Check.
Sphalerite and hematite? Check.
Sand? Check.

A quick look underground (DFHack reveal, just curious) reveals the hematite to be firmly stuck in sandstone, which is the aquifer. 7 layers deep at that. At least there are a few soil layers (including sand, yay) that I can use to get a foothold while attempting to use the little bit of stone I brought to get through to the diorite below.

Ouch.  Is any of the hematite _not_ in an aquifer?

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26694 on: December 01, 2012, 12:48:42 am »

My fort fell to a single forgotton beast that happened upon my dwarf settlement. I had just finished most of the above ground fort when it killed the intire population of dorfs. I came back with two soldiers, and were swept aside one hit each tearing their skulls open.

I know that feel, bro.  I just turned Invaders back on and the first Forgotten Beast I got killed 40 of my 60 military dwarves.  I don't have the reports or records but it was a flying, eight legged creature with tentacles, a huge trunk, shot webs, and had so much fat it was impossible to hurt.  As soon as it appeared I mobilized my dwarves... and it promptly shot web like a machine gun and flew over my now webbed melee dwarves and slaughtered my marksdwarves in the back before slowly squishing all other dwarves... until it got distracted by a kitten and my militia commander brained it with her spear.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26695 on: December 01, 2012, 01:01:12 am »

I am looking at the postive side of this. Hey I still have a refuge above ground! I'm glad one of my dorfs followed my order to lift the internal bridge trapping it in there for now.. Just it cuts me off from iron.. and I know I have limestone up here.
Adapted to the caves

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26696 on: December 01, 2012, 01:48:35 am »

Oops, accedently killed my fort due to a tantrum sprial. It was 1 dwarf, 1 dwarf!

Anyway, decided that i would play as dwarves, and humans at the same time. Already have it modded in, so i can already start.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Solarspot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26697 on: December 01, 2012, 05:55:49 am »

So, it seems I can't get one of my embark wagons taken apart.  I embarked 8 months ago on the side of a volcano.  Had two wagons, largely because I took gobs of flux stone.  Set both to be destroyed a few days after getting there, set up a the base with an entrance a few tiles away...  Around a month later someone disassembled one of them.  The other one is still there.  I've since built the bay for my trading depot around it, with a roof covering both it and the front doors to the fort.  And I've had dwarfs take items out of it.

I don't think it's an issue of having the wrong labors enabled...  I've had at least one dwarf with carpentry enabled the entire time.  Produced some beds.  Then enabled carpentry on every single dwarf for the last couple months.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  (I'm in 31.25)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26698 on: December 01, 2012, 07:11:24 am »

Dorfs just bein' lazy.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26699 on: December 01, 2012, 08:57:50 am »

So.. I trapped the first forgotten beast in my underground pasture.... I dug into a cave by mistake, and now the giant flying snow blob that squirms and figits has come to play as well! good thing I blocked the floor off before it got the smell of dorf.

Doo ta dooo ta doo. I hope to have a magma forge soon set up, and start pumping out tons of steel and to get to the candy.
Adapted to the caves
Pages: 1 ... 1778 1779 [1780] 1781 1782 ... 3842