Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1776 1777 [1778] 1779 1780 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123590 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26655 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:53 pm »

Poor Kupulmer... Can one really have such awful luck?

In my own fortress; my troops have begun sparring. This is not only good, it is wonderful, because they'll need all the experience they can get. I'm also preparing the necessary trap corridor. I have cage traps behind atomsmashers, behind a long, narrow hall of weapon traps containing various implements of poking, eviscerating, and thumpin'. Any given siege should take serious casualties through this area, and later on I hope to be able to implement some even more devastating plans.

I'm just being lazy, for the moment. The obsidianizer/magma shower will have to wait for now.

Now I just need to get all the other important industries going, like cloth, before the dwarves all go insane.

There is an egg in the nest. If i leave it alone will it hatch?

No. Only eggs laid in nest boxes, completely untouched, and always accompanied by their mother, will hatch. This means that it is very important to make sure eggs of a species you intend to breed are not accepted by any food stockpiles, that there is no foot traffic crossign the nest boxes at any time (dwarves will bump the animals out of the nest box, killing the eggs.) and no other animals in the room with them that could concievably try to bump them out of their nests while incubating.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26656 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »

Only if the Roc is staying on it and they have the necessary tags for hatchlings or chicks or whatever. Otherwise it's only use is in an omlet.

Ninja'd by Eric.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26657 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »

Then i shall wall her in using Dfhack and build a temple for her.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26658 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »

Make an elaborate entrance so that adventurers can get in to fight but she can't get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26659 on: November 29, 2012, 10:43:36 pm »

Splint approves of this. Looking forward to seeing the rediculous construct it will surely be.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26660 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »

Screw it, its roc roasts for everyone, if this does not work i don't care.

EDIT: Well, that didn't work.

EDIT2:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:O

Not sure what to say to this one.

EDIT3: accdently killed the collossas, how ever, i now have a dragon and roc in storage.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:14:55 pm by Fishybang »
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26661 on: November 30, 2012, 02:31:31 am »

Nice.

So, Blackstar goes well. Evidently when dwarves are fixed, they will arrive in year one. Got attacked in later timber of the first year by a squad of modbolds led by a wrestler. One paniced conscript rush later and they're all dead and Somehow my people got out with only a few minor to moderate bruises (Probably because modbolds are just small enough that they need two hands to use a sword not sized for them, which I should probably add.) Trade went well, and our migration yielded a lasher and a Triarius, who came in handy when the ambush struck. And as we set about getting a few extra odds and ends (Some of the more expensive weapons they brought made of the good stuff: Dwarven steel,) we got jumped byt... A lone giant lizard?? No matter. It'll make good eating.

Breaker and BLue Diamond (A legionaire and the Triarius respectivly) ran it down and killed it. Onager meanwhile I sent out solo and he brought back a giant green tree frog. I've also seen we have naked mole dogs in our caverns, so more cage traps to allow for domestication of these things for sale will be needed. I'm serious, if it weren't for the caverns being so close here I'd have been screwed earlier in the year. The dwarves, in exchange for flower and more seeds and spare medical equipment, walk away with the modbolds' blood pattered uniforms and several hundred dorfbucks richer.

EDIT: A vile force of darkness arrived in year fucking one! 8 uppity beakwolves and a giant tick vs a cave crocodile that just tore a kobold apart, and a bunch of humans based upon  various psychotic soldiers from a story me and a friend are writing.

WHO WILL WIN.

If you guessed the beak wolves then you lost however much you bet on them, my people are busy scraping thier remains off my lawn.

EDIT II: Evidently a squad of 8 modbolds riding giant lizards didn't learn from the beakwolf strike force's mistake. Also a little anticlimactic as Breaker, Onager's sister, oneshotted two mounts and thier squad leader (as well as several beakwolves earlier with flat slaps with her gladius in what I can only assume were pimp slapping motions.) Now we need MORE barrels because of processing said lizards. SO much for have some cave sugar and quarry bush stews and roasts. Also a goblin caravan arrived and was for some reason attacked by two random war lizards which, up against four goblins didn't have a chance. More food for us!

Also, upon inspection, Breaker has become known as The Greatest Society of Fading.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26662 on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:28 am »

I reached a 200 dwarf cap, I have 60 military dwarves ranging from Grand Master to Adept in their respective combat fields (my Caverns have been swarmed with plenty of trolls, crundles, and trogoldytes for them to practice on), I've reached Cavern layer 2, and I'm swimming in steel, iron, and bronze.  I'm currently working on my "Hallway of Death" leading to my main entrance, where I build a complicated hallway above ground and the entire floor is checkerboarded with all sorts of fun traps, and once it's finished, plus have all the entrances to my fort via the caverns properly trapped off, I intend to turn invasions on  since I feel I can hold my own now so I finally get to see body parts fly that don't belong to wildlife that get to close to angry dwarves.

If my hallway works as intended I'll be happy to show off the results as I play chess with the invaders limbs.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26663 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:10 am »

I swear my dwarves have become such fashion victims.

They throw away perfectly serviceable clothing as soon as it shows some wear, in favor of the latest goblin prisoner attire (which could use some more time sitting unworn in a stockpile). I'd understand if they had to get rid of threadbare stuff or mangled and tattered rags, but throwing away still good clothes with only one level of wear... it strikes me more as rampant consumerism than forward thinking.

Let's just say I'm really glad that the ownership of discarded clothes isn't anymore an issue.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26664 on: November 30, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »

A stupid channeling accident, which should not have happened because I know I removed the designation, took one of the starting miners. She fell three layers as the falling floor crashed through the fort. A pile of weapons and clothing landed on her(by luck, too. No idea why they were there).

A rock hit her, but there was no force behind it, so no damage.
A tunic hit her, no force behind it.
An iron pike landed on her, no force behind it.
A loincloth landed on her, no force behind it.
Another pike landed on her, no force behind it.
A large dagger landed on her, slashing her throat, causing her to bleed to death within seconds.

Oh well. At least the baroness if fine, now. Just as suddenly as her misery appeared, it disappeared(with no change in her thoughts).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26665 on: November 30, 2012, 01:41:03 pm »

Kitten stepped on my keyboard, and changed some setting in DF. I think it's in... Truetype now? Changed the font of all the menus so it's not using ascii anymore. Damn cat is also trying to lick the antifungal cream off my toes. She's just a sweet little bundle of purr, though.

In actual fortress news, a couple dragonman ambushes apparently died somewhere without ever revealing themselves. I don't know, dragonmen have problems with the whole "I can shoot fire everywhere but am not fireproof myself" thing. Although I coulda swore they were fire-safe raw-wise, it seems that doesn't matter to the game and they die off anyway. A thief of theirs was caught walking by the cobald caravan entering the map and it set all three of them (the theif, horse, and cobald) on fire. They all died horrible, bloody deaths and will be forgotten in the history books.

I'm finally getting around to working out living quarters for most of the populace. Conveniently the area I'm digging out has massive magnetite and bit. coal deposits in a limestone layer. Mining unrefined steel, essentially. I'll dig deeper for some of the other nice goodies later, after I get the important things done finally after 4 years. The four of the starting seven married, and these two couples are both reproducing as rapidly as possible. So is every other married couple in the fort.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26666 on: November 30, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »

Kitten stepped on my keyboard, and changed some setting in DF. I think it's in... Truetype now? Changed the font of all the menus so it's not using ascii anymore.
F11 should fix that!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26667 on: November 30, 2012, 04:26:24 pm »

Blackstar may well score bigtime and become the first human settlement to domesticate (sort of.) Our now named cave croc (called graspcontained for the slaughter of a kobold) is a fat muscular female. Another croc wandered in and while weak, is very large overall. ALl I need him to do is blunder into our secruity traps and get to breeding; Cave Croc steaks for all! :D

Also finished an administration builing made out of fluxstone and cavern trees, so now is the time to assign a scribe and foreman, as well as ina show of good faith, a slot for the settlement merchant and current sole legendary worker Furnace the furnace operator. He deserves it since he got us all the extra metals for trade goods further down the line and smelting all our coal into useable fuel. We've also a worker named Potter, who started as a potter and is on the verge of becoming a legendary bone carver now thatnks to all the giant lizard attacks giant animal killings Onager has perpatrated.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26668 on: November 30, 2012, 05:45:24 pm »

Kitten stepped on my keyboard, and changed some setting in DF. I think it's in... Truetype now? Changed the font of all the menus so it's not using ascii anymore.
F11 should fix that!

No, F11 appears to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode. Oh well.

Anyway, one of my baby llamas, who is very fat and enormous overall, has heart problems. I guess she got kicked in the upperbody, and her heart was bruised. Not unusual, what with 90% of my grazing animals all fighting over the exact same patch of grass when 90% of the 31x31 field is completely untouched. Instead of fanning out and enjoying the plentiful food, they're beating the crap out of each other. One of them just suffered severe brain damage. Survived, somehow.

Steel production is progressing extremely slowly, as far as I'm concerned. It's been a year, and there are only 38 bars available.
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26669 on: November 30, 2012, 05:49:19 pm »

Perhaps selling last year's ambushes kit to the dwarves was a mistake. Went from 20-odd humans to nearing 60-70, so I'll need to build a mayoral office soon before Autumn or one of the others gets elected mayor. Maybe I should just expand the admin building and have the mayor's shit on the upper floors.

On the upside, I got a guy who is a great marksman and ambusher whom I've given the title of 'Shadow-Walker.' He'll be training up a marksman squad when i get around to ammo and weapons for them.
Pages: 1 ... 1776 1777 [1778] 1779 1780 ... 3842