Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1771 1772 [1773] 1774 1775 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124041 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26580 on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:43 pm »

Playing a noncanon version of Spearbreakers. A loyaty cascade happened.  Picking up the peices now. Only 7 functioning dwarves, six of them soldiers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26581 on: November 24, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »

Just had a zombie moose show up.

Sent Z. Baron Urist Muthkat to deal with it.

While dispatching the moose, 9 undead ravens showed up.

Z. Urist Uvash and Urist Likot Lion show up to help Muthkat. It's not enough.

Captain Nil Erith, R. Zuntir and R. Atis all show up to smash some feathers.

All is well; one last raven to deal with and then a zombie kakapo shows up. The Crossbowdwarves split off to take out the last raven whilst the hammerdwarves sort out the kakapo.

Both are dead, all is well right?

Then 12 zombie ravens show up.

Every Dwarf from the Pleated Stakes to the Banners of Ringing are called up to fight; around 60 bolts were recovered and I think I managed to make a record for the bolt with the most kills.

Tl;dr, kill ravens. With a crossbow.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26582 on: November 24, 2012, 11:06:29 pm »

This is my human fortress at the begining of year 4(i think ???). Anyway in the big open space at the top, i am planing on building a castle where in case of a siege i will put all of the civilans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Also I just had 3 ghosts rise from the dead. No idea how they died, but im going to leave them, gives the fort that worn in feel ya know?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:08:29 pm by Fishybang »
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26583 on: November 24, 2012, 11:12:04 pm »

my guess is one is that ranger who died of dehydration.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26584 on: November 24, 2012, 11:16:27 pm »

Yeah, I killed him because while building the walls a werecavy appered and bit him, guess he didn't transform fast enough.

EDIT: An ambush! Curse them! Also praise them becaus
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:27:25 pm by Fishybang »
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26585 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:47 am »

Dwarven acupuncture experiment going on!   :o

Four marksdwarves got shot up by a elite goblin archer and were hauled off to the hospital. 

Unfortunately two were dumped into the same bed - which triggers some sort of non-treatment bug.

Various solutions were tried over the last six months:
- Deconstructing the bed (which got one dwarf moved and treatment continued on him)
- Undefining and then redefining the hospital zone (no effect)
- building a retracting bridge under the unconscious dwarf and "popping" him into a bed (no effect on treatment status)
- building a upright training spear under the dwarf (his steel armor deflected all the attacks)

Luckily the medical staff was at least willing to give him water and food, so he lived through all this.

Finally built a copper menacing spike under him and got him stabbed in the leg.  The new wound got him picked up, put in a bed, diagnosed, and treated while he sleeps rather than lying unconscious.  (Though lying there for six months pretty much healed up his arm wound anyways.)

And I was willing to experiment since otherwise he was going to lie there in a coma anyways.

In other news a military shuffling of squads just put 160 of the 215 population into full steel armor.  Most of the reservists are now trained enough to be assigned to militia or full-time units.   Including a pick squad in steel armor - time to see if their training is sufficient to survive open battle.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26586 on: November 25, 2012, 06:45:26 am »

Yeah, I killed him because while building the walls a werecavy appered and bit him, guess he didn't transform fast enough.
It's entirely possible the bite never infected the ranger - it never passed the clothes/armour ;-;

Also floor up those murky pools. It's rare, but things can get into your Fort from there.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26587 on: November 25, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »

Alternativly, leave them open and positon soldiers around them a distance away. Force those riding amphibious mounts to fight in a bottleneck.

Vent

• Bay Watcher
  • Kilroy the Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26588 on: November 25, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »

I caught a necromancer in a cage during a zombie siege, so I've been going to work trying to capitalize on my new slave. So far I've set up a few rooms dedicated to the reanimation of dead bodies, using a drawbridge to cover the necromancer's line of sight while my dwarves put the bodies in their place. When the drawbridge is lowered, the necromancer raises the undead, who immediately path to a chained up dog at the end of a line of cage traps.

My first test with the undead was a failure. I tried to release some of the undead I caught during the original attack on an ambush, but they immediately ran off the map when they were freed. Hopefully this won't happen with the zombies that have been created on site, but until the next ambush I won't be able to test it.

I've already had a few close calls with zombies nearly escaping into my fort, but I've since fixed those problems by creating a system of airlocks separating the zombie rooms from everything else. I'm secretly hoping my plan backfires and my fort is overrun by zombies, because it would surely be fun to watch.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26589 on: November 25, 2012, 03:10:41 pm »

Apperntly the bushtit people like the castle so far :P

EDIT: Well, lost the fort due to my laptop crashing and corrupting the save :( Anyway guess i have to start a new one, and since Splint and Loud whispers helped me with the last fort, im naming the first to humans after them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:28:15 pm by Fishybang »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26590 on: November 25, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »

I decided to play the Lore/AdventureQuest mod despite the fact that I don't really remember any of the game. I then proceeded to remove all the vanilla content I possibly could, completely changing every biome's inhabitants.

I decided to plop down a smaller, 3x3, fort. I noticed we had a Fighter to start with so he became the warleader and I brought along whips as an affordable-effective defense against whatever nasties there might be. The settlement is now in its second year going strong with 19 residents and we've only had two events of great significance.

Spoiler: Weird Romance (click to show/hide)
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26591 on: November 25, 2012, 10:28:23 pm »

The first artifact in the new fort. Might be good, don't know though?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26592 on: November 25, 2012, 10:38:08 pm »

Who cares if it's good. make a spear based army and have the militia commander roll with some bling of war.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26593 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »

I started a new fort today and after about a year in I lost a ranger's life to a wereshrew right as the elven caravan came in. It's like elves are a bad omen or something. Which is why I bought all their good stuff with my worthless trinkets.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26594 on: November 25, 2012, 11:08:11 pm »

I can't get my millita caption to equip the spear ???
Pages: 1 ... 1771 1772 [1773] 1774 1775 ... 3842