Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1766 1767 [1768] 1769 1770 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124427 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26505 on: November 18, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »

I've found 4 adamantine veins on a 3x3 embark. I already popped the HFS, but I did it by fortification, so they're trapped in their tube while I chisel the safe bits away from the outside.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26506 on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »

250+ dwarves.  Only 6 dead.  I'm a Barony.  Only had ONE goblin siege (Of one squad) and no ambushes.  Haven't even had any kidnappers and barely any kobolds.
In addition, I have found NO metal ore beyond copper, zinc, and silver, and I'm almost at the magma sea.
I don't know why Goblins haven't attacked me in six years!

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26507 on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:07 pm »

For some reason. HFS Spoilers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unf.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26508 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »

For some reason. HFS Spoilers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's time for a game of good ol' dwarven chess.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26509 on: November 18, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »

I got my first elven caravan and they offered me a bull and cow, so now I have breeding cows for meat and milk.  They also gave me a breeding pair of giant lions.  Unforunately I couldn't afford them as I'm still getting my fort together, it's only my second year after all and the winter prior was spent expanding, so I unfortunately had to provide an "accident" to my first elven caravan to get my animals.

I'll try to be nicer the next time they swing around.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26510 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:29 pm »

A quiet few years in Waterspear.  Goblin sieges come and then go in reduced numbers.  Every so often they (or a ambush party) kill a human diplomat, and then the humans send a siege to get shot up.  The half dozen marksdwarf squads have fun from the fortifications, and then the melee squads sally forth and mop up.  In return, most of my combat casualties are from these same squads as the occasional elite goblin with a crossbow or bow takes a toll.

The kill leader in the fortress was just given an artifact adamantine battleaxe to work with.  We will see how it does.

Project Underworld is proceeding well.  Some initial issues slowing work concerning biome residents.  This has been settled and now the masons and haulers are working with very little interference.

Three Forgotten beasts in various places.  Two trapped by mushroom trees, and the third has been trapped as it spends eternity trying to destroy an artifact grate.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26511 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

Finally got a few ambushes, and the result hurt... first ambush killed five of my military dwarves, due to being lashers.  The second was axedwarves, and they took one recruit out, but we managed to wipe them.  Aside from that, two snatchers made off with babies/children.
They also killed one of the elven merchants that came at the same time, which was bad as I am dangerously low on food and alcohol.
Well, at least I got the baron's rooms completed and fully outfitted in silver furniture.  Meanwhile note to self, find a way to make Cotton Candy headgear...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26512 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »

I haven't opened SkunkSilvers's front gate in about two years. At any given time there is either a zombie siege of over 100, or several goblin ambushes. The necromancers will come, killing all the caravans and ambushes that come for a while. Then, a few good ambush squads of goblin crossbowmen machinegunners will clear them all away. Eventually, the caravan guards will weaken the goblins and a necro siege will finish them off, and the cycle perpetuates. The only threats I've really dealt with in combat are forgotten beasts.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26513 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:38 am »

Lost my fort.

The defense system worked... slightly. Only some of the goblins died, others were wounded, and a couple were actually still functional [Until they got pelted with bolts]

So, I dig it deeper so there was a bigger fall. Urist Mc MayorMiner decided to cause multiple cave-ins and maim ALL my other miners.

Then another Goblin Ambush happens literally right afterwards, and we run out of wood to make barrels, and have no barrels for booze. Right after the Ambush is gone, a SEIGE [My first] shows up before I can restart my booze flow, one where the Cave-Crocodile-Rider decided to sit in a murky pool and all the gobbos just sit there partying... even when the pool freezes over, with the Goblin in it. We die of dehydration because I can't get the booze flowing fast enough which leads to deaths and a T-Spiral.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26514 on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:48 am »

Lost my fort.

The defense system worked... slightly. Only some of the goblins died, others were wounded, and a couple were actually still functional [Until they got pelted with bolts]

So, I dig it deeper so there was a bigger fall. Urist Mc MayorMiner decided to cause multiple cave-ins and maim ALL my other miners.

Then another Goblin Ambush happens literally right afterwards, and we run out of wood to make barrels, and have no barrels for booze. Right after the Ambush is gone, a SEIGE [My first] shows up before I can restart my booze flow, one where the Cave-Crocodile-Rider decided to sit in a murky pool and all the gobbos just sit there partying... even when the pool freezes over, with the Goblin in it. We die of dehydration because I can't get the booze flowing fast enough which leads to deaths and a T-Spiral.

You do know that you can make booze holding pots out of stone or clay?  (The latter might require glazing as well depending on the type of clay.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26515 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:43 am »

No. I didn't know ._.

EDIT: New fort going, and something weird is happening.

Things that were never on my units list are showing up on the kill list.

I can only guess that something is killing things underground...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:19:29 am by Raikaria »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26516 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »

I gave body parts a melting point so I could use magma to slay undead.

Now the melted body parts show up as "a pool of buzzard n/a" (or similar, depending on the creature name) and block my doors open. :(

Curse you, undead!  Cur... oh... err... hm.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26517 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »

I gave body parts a melting point so I could use magma to slay undead.

Now the melted body parts show up as "a pool of buzzard n/a" (or similar, depending on the creature name) and block my doors open. :(

Curse you, undead!  Cur... oh... err... hm.

Maybe give it boiling point? it's just BOILING_POINT instead of MELTING_POINT :D

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26518 on: November 19, 2012, 01:30:32 pm »

This just in - despite Toady's pathing updates to stop this sort of thing, dwarves (and genomes) are still morons.  News at 11.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26519 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:12 pm »

do they belong to anyone? If theres mountains of worn clothes they're probably still owned if they have thier own rooms to leave thier shit in.

Most of what's lying around and not getting carried to the stockpiles is actually stone, wood, food, that kind of thing. It's just that nobody is bothering to haul those things to the stockpile level of my fortress, they'd rather just go all the way down the stairs or up the stairs when they need them for a craft or other object they're making.
Pages: 1 ... 1766 1767 [1768] 1769 1770 ... 3842