Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1762 1763 [1764] 1765 1766 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124805 times)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26445 on: November 08, 2012, 06:34:05 am »

simple:magma keep digging down in one of the corners bur don't make in a rooms then once you hit magma make a room but made sure to build a magma proof door so incase it flood nothing too bad will happen.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26446 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:30 am »

We have begun construction on the aboveground portion of the fortress. Made of native deposits of obsidian, it will house the military and hospital, as well as an inner courtyard where crops will be grown. The last 2 migrant waves have been ordered to build the walls or craft blocks (23 masons can do a ton of work!)

Slowed by a few kidnappers and thieves, we have managed to get the first ring done in 2 seasons. With the safety of this wall, we should be able to complete the interior relativity easily, barring any major invasions.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26447 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:24 am »

I started on The Flusher 2.0.  106 pumps move a LOT of water.  Too much.  Now I have instantaneous drowning, and almost no directional water flow in the drowning hall.  Back to the old drawing board!  :(

I think I need a bigger drain.  Or some other way to move the water horizontally down a narrow hallway from a rather large number of sources..

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26448 on: November 08, 2012, 11:50:50 am »

Hello!

After a long abstinence from DF due to DF melting the core of my computer, me then moving to a different town and starting into a new line of work, I have finally gotten to start with the minecart enabled version.

Thus, my current fortress, which is growing only very slowly due to my preferences and a lack of time to play, is currently focused on using as much minecarts as possible. We are still just starting out, so none of the permanent underground workshops are active yet. But I already have a working system for transporting seeds from the dining room to the farms (needs still some fine tuning, I think), and my first line connecting a lumber farm to the central surface wood stockpile is just a few more tiles with tracks (I prefer constructed tracks) await from completion. The next aim will be getting a subterranean kitchen ready that gets linked to the farm plots, quern, and farmer's workshop in the pasture, but that is still a while away as there is a lot of wall detailing to do first (I want to have the dwarves guiding the minecarts happy) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26449 on: November 08, 2012, 11:54:15 am »

...due to DF melting the core of my computer

o_O

You.. forgot to turn off temperature?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #26450 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:52 pm »

I forgot which lever operated which bridge in my fortress, so I stupidly assigned all of them to be flipped in succession.

As a result, I now have four less woodcutters, 2 less fisherdwarves, and quite a lot of some fantastically done red paint job on the walls of my main fort.

FIREWALKER1

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Death comes for ye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26451 on: November 09, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »

Well my 3 year fort was attacked by 4 separate goblin ambushes (all at once) which was fine until the necromancer came and resurrected most of them and all the animals they killed so i got over run by heads and other body parts of my foes.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26452 on: November 10, 2012, 05:39:59 am »

-snip-

"THY FOES SHALL FALL TO THE DEATH OF THE UNDERWORLD!" Ten minutes later  "GO BACK TO THE UNDER-" throat gets ripped out.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26453 on: November 10, 2012, 03:04:00 pm »

Recorded something neat in Silentthunders.

Triple sparring! All three are sparring against each other. Datan is chasing Asmel whilst Asmel and Sigun gang up on Datan. Never seen Dwarves do that before. It's also a bit funny to have the corpses resurrecting during their demonstrations/sparring sessions, only for all 3 to get mad and tear the corpse to pieces for intruding on their martial arts.
-Then back to practice.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26454 on: November 10, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »

Currently building rooms for my snooty King while being constantly assaulted by the humans. Even after they've lost more men then it's worth and more law-givers then they should have, they keep attacking me.
Unf.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26455 on: November 10, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »

Oops.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is the outpost liaison, laying in a pool of his own blood. He decided the best route into the fort was not with the merchants, but through the perpetual-motion mine cart grinder.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26456 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:46 am »

Canyontalon has seen almost no conflict in 7 years.  A handful of thieves arrived but were driven off without so much as a scratch to anyone.  Then, it came.

A giant spider with scales and an enormous shell.

What could it do?  Fifty-seven of the most skilled soldiers in the region answered the call to arms and waited at the gate for it to come.  They were arrogant.  The only two griffons to die in 8 years died of age.  They were the finest soldiers there were.  They had slain giants.  What could this thing do?  They left the gate open, and waited.

When it drew close, they sprang upon it, and their mistake was immediately apparent.  Blankets of thick, sticky webbing spewed from the monster's maw and ensnared the most eager to slay the monster and take credit for its death.  Private Katya Ivanov was first through the gate, and was immediately stricken by the webs.  Her helmet was no proof against such might.  Privates Lazar Stukov and Nikodim Skortsov soon joined her, each slain by a crushing blow to the head by its spindly but unnaturally strong legs.

The rest of first company's squad fell back to the archers, their morale utterly crushed by the losses of their decade long comrades.  Arrows tore through the air, chitin, muscle and sinew.  Yet on it came, undaunted like the hellacious demon it was.  Webs sprayed through the air, ensnaring seven more griffons.  Their deaths seemed imminent, but Private Zakhary Maysets, fueled by wrath at the loss of his brothers and sister-at-arms, lashed out time and again with his sword.  Twitching legs fell from the beast's sides, until finally his sword found purchase in its brain.

Defeated, it slumped to the ground amidst a mass of griffons buried beneath its webs.  The survivors clawed their way to freedom, but there was no rejoicing in victory.  Instead, Sergeant Kazimir Garin helped his soldiers recover the corpses and gear of those who gave their lives to save Canyontalon.  With a heavy heart, and perhaps a tear in his eye, he lead the grim procession back into the fort.

Major Alexie Rykov would not sleep well for many nights to come.  It was only with the loss of three of his best soldiers that he learned the price of arrogance.

Never again.

I forgot spider titans could web in this version.  Webs are bad. :(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:57:56 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26457 on: November 11, 2012, 06:08:41 am »

So basically I have a monarch at my fortress now, thing is. He's a vampire. I have no clue what to do.

His kill list.

Unf.

Thibbedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26458 on: November 11, 2012, 06:48:23 am »

After a couple of years trying this wonderful game out back and forth but never really gotten a grip around it I finally had gotten a fortress to not instantly fail after a couple of months. Usually it was thirst or some simple animal killing a few of my men but just enough of the useful ones so that the fortress had an imminent failure ahead.

So this time I had actually created a fort that lasted more than a year or two if I remember correctly. But as we all know, fun always comes to destroy us!!
And as I thought I had gotten kind of a grip on how the military works (I had only a small group of dwarfs that was going to be all out military men, the rest was for now emergency use only), there comes a couple of enemies! And after fighting for a while, longer than it usually takes, I realize that the enemy is undead, there are several undead dogs and whatnot running around my fortress, and wait.... even my fallen dwarfs?!? This is.... fun! But the kind that will be my undoing. I call all of my dwarfs to arms. They fall one by one among the rubble of bones and rotten flesh that is the remains of their fallen enemies. But as they fall they become their own enemies. It's impossible to reach this mad sorcerer that runs around, in and out of the edge of my fortress map.

And so it comes to an end; A couple of newcomers arrives, gets slaughtered, then a couple of more arrives and I realize that my lack of skills and knowledge in this game will not save my fortress. I have to abandon it...

But now I'm even more inclined to learn more, to make my next fortress to last longer, become stronger and the one after that even more so!  :o

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26459 on: November 11, 2012, 02:05:44 pm »

trying to get the cavern below my fort under control by putting up floodgates and cage traps because if its open i can never get anything done. All the monsters that come out of it are so distracting and they keep killing my hunters.

playing masterwork btw
Pages: 1 ... 1762 1763 [1764] 1765 1766 ... 3842