Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1750 1751 [1752] 1753 1754 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125560 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26265 on: October 24, 2012, 10:17:26 am »

Gobbos got in fort through old entrance I forgot to wall off. Apparently there's also a necromancer in my fortress, as well as a titan and a forgotten beast. All dwarves are dead besides one guy locked in his bedroom. Titan and FB aren't nearby and the door is stone, so he isn't in danger of having his door kicked down. He isn't a miner and there's no safe path to the corpse of the nearest miner's corpse nor the armory.

I'm having him engrave his walls to see if he writes out an apocalyptic log.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26266 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:28 am »

Gobbos got in fort through old entrance I forgot to wall off. Apparently there's also a necromancer in my fortress, as well as a titan and a forgotten beast. All dwarves are dead besides one guy locked in his bedroom. Titan and FB aren't nearby and the door is stone, so he isn't in danger of having his door kicked down. He isn't a miner and there's no safe path to the corpse of the nearest miner's corpse nor the armory.

I'm having him engrave his walls to see if he writes out an apocalyptic log.

Get ready for images of gems and cheese. And renditions of rendtions of those gems and cheese.

Ok, so after my realization that I need to keep modest amounts of stone for moods and building certain things, I have also realized I can't do anything with my whipvine reserves except brew them. Someone brought a stay moose calf, and I also have the base for a leopard force to supplement the giant one I brought: Someone brought a pet normal leopard cub, a female one. I must buy a regular sized male to take advantage of this. Fun fact, giant leopards cost less than regular sized lions. Also I think my settlement will corner the market on pine production. Also, i have no idea how but somehow a giant leopard cub is on top of a wall that had no acess to it. Maybe the ravens tried to adopt it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26267 on: October 24, 2012, 04:29:24 pm »

I've heard that creatures sometimes hop up onto walls either as they dodge attacks or step out of the way of other creatures trying to walk the same tile. Maybe it tried to get out of the way of a raven and ended up swapping places with it, on top of a wall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26268 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:55 pm »

Porpbably. I'm also amazed I haven't been labeled a heretic yet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26269 on: October 24, 2012, 05:04:22 pm »

As long as the elves get what they deserve in the end, you haven't broken any laws.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26270 on: October 24, 2012, 06:21:22 pm »

We just got a siege of dark strangler wrestlers and we're barely out of the first year.  We have no armor, and the only axe we have for our axedorf is wood.

We sealed off the fort, but now ugly monkeys are running around our megaconstruct. They're currently ganging up on the new cat who was dumb enough to go outside right as the last tile of wall was built, sealing it out. Our engraver/mason migrant who hasn't done much masonry was chased off by the monkeys and fell some 12 z-levels down to the frozen water below...and landed on his head first.

He's still alive, but he's conked right out, and I can only assume his head is barely holding together at the seams.

EDIT:The cat's alive too, after dodging off the megaconstruct scaffolding and also falling 12 z-levels. Apparently, Dwarf Fortress' cats land on their feet. All he suffered was some bruised paws.

The monkeys are now chasing the ironclad horse that came w/ the wagon.

EDIT2:The monkeys left after harassing our poor ironclad horse for a bit. She's dented all over, but that's it. Only other injuries were the cat's paws and the unlucky engraver who landed on his head. He may or may not be paralyzed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:29:07 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26271 on: October 24, 2012, 06:34:29 pm »

stranglers aren't really much in a fight. a few good strong dwarves with glorified billy clubs would be a match for them. Hell, six dwarves with a crude mix of tools and proper weapons can drive off the little freaks so long as no limbs get snapped in grapples. A horde of dogs can help too against them.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26272 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »

stranglers aren't really much in a fight. a few good strong dwarves with glorified billy clubs would be a match for them. Hell, six dwarves with a crude mix of tools and proper weapons can drive off the little freaks so long as no limbs get snapped in grapples. A horde of dogs can help too against them.

Yeah, but this fort is a part of the pick, plump helmet, and peasants challenge. The only axe we had is wood, and we have literally no dogs at all.  I didn't really wanna test our lone "talented fighter" against some 10 or so crazy monkeys, even if they are bad at fights. One unlucky hit and boom, the fort's sole defense is dead and the monkeys would be free to either terrorize our little group or leave us to a potential tantrum spiral. The stranglers are gone now anyway, so eh.

We'll probably be ready next time...maybe.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26273 on: October 24, 2012, 07:31:41 pm »

New testing embark as always.

My civ is dead and we're at war with another race over the treatment of animals (the home civ being killed by said war).  We embarked on half Terrifying Tundra, half Untamed Wilds Arctic Ocean.  I debated doing a cave island in the far bottom left corner of said Arctic Ocean, but it wasn't as interesting.  The ocean is surprisingly unfrozen despite being arctic and freezing, so test fishing will commence.

We managed to hole up underground before the evil tundra spawned any nasties on us.  Time to rebuild civilization!  Or at least until I make another round of changes.  :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26274 on: October 24, 2012, 07:45:40 pm »

Yeah, but this fort is a part of the pick, plump helmet, and peasants challenge. The only axe we had is wood, and we have literally no dogs at all.  I didn't really wanna test our lone "talented fighter" against some 10 or so crazy monkeys, even if they are bad at fights. One unlucky hit and boom, the fort's sole defense is dead and the monkeys would be free to either terrorize our little group or leave us to a potential tantrum spiral. The stranglers are gone now anyway, so eh.

We'll probably be ready next time...maybe.

If you had some wood some training weapons and shields, plus the miner probably could have seen you through if you could control the flow of enemies. Or liminated them with an atom smasher (a good long one going down the hall too; they'll wak into the raised part and a whole bunch can meet a dreamsmasher at once!)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26275 on: October 24, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »

Skyseals has punctured the caverns, and there are NO vegetation. Probably relating to the fact there is no water. Huh.

Of course this occurs with a booze shortage. It would be Too Easy. Waiting on the Fall caravan, am producing much in the way of wooden spiked balls to prepare us.

It's already frozen outside. How is that? It's only sandstone. God I hope there's alot of booze in the caravan, we're in this for the long-haul.

EDIT: Presser decided to kick my woodcrafter off for a while to strange mood a barrel. At least it's useful. Also Elk birds have attacked my Miners, and have recieved thorough beat down from angry pick-wielders. Note To self: Never piss them off.
EDIT2:MORE of them? Well, a few injuries, someone lost a finger, and a few are in bad shape, but It looks like the end. I'll patch them dorfs up good as new, assuming I can find water.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:08:21 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26276 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:11 pm »

I built a new throwaway fortress to conduct minecart !!engineering!! for a device I want to install in another fortress. The basic memory cell design I wanted to validate works, and now I'm just refining details of how I want to pack them together. One major problem has occurred: I keep getting distracted from my engineering tasks and spending whole seasons designing new dining halls, mining metals I'm never going to use and sending paramilitary hunting expeditions after the giant insects and hamster men.

If I can pull myself away from organizing a grand but unnecessary militia, I'm considering using this site for a megaproject involving building a dwarven multi-channel logic analyzer with a minecart-based display; however, I don't think I can get it to update fast enough to show off the main advantage of my design. Maybe I'll just expand the dormitory again settle for the diagrams I drew on paper and finish my testing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26277 on: October 25, 2012, 01:18:28 pm »

Welp, I have decided, in light of my inability to expand my ranger battalions and because multiple weapon squads (swords and spears in the same squad for example) are terribly inefficent, I've gone ahead and done some raw doctoring of the game to fix the glitch (How the hell are elven sergeants supposed to appoint themselves when the game doesn't havea function for that?) Maybe this time I'll do antmen, but I doubt that.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26278 on: October 25, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »

The enemy have come!!  The damn Cleyrans who drove the civ to extinction have shown up to destroy our tiny outpost.  Since it's only the first autumn, I have a militia total of two people, only one of which is currently armed.  Raise the bridge!

As long as I find a way to get rid of them by spring we should be fine... Settling in an evil biome actually helped, as it made my first priority sealing off the entrance and making secure aboveground farms only accessible from inside and such.  We'll just have to turtle this one out...and most of the other sieges they'll send...at least until some people get married and start having kids.  Yay extinct civs!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26279 on: October 25, 2012, 01:56:43 pm »

My one-legged militia commander now has an even nicer bedroom than before, featuring the skeleton of the cyclops she slew, three goblin swordsmen prisoners, two war jabberer prisoners, and a nice cache of platinum coins.
Pages: 1 ... 1750 1751 [1752] 1753 1754 ... 3842