Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1743 1744 [1745] 1746 1747 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125916 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26160 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:51 am »

Goblinite in abundance at Waterspear.

Two more goblin sieges repelled.  Primarily by marksdwarf fire with the melee squads mopping up to vulture kills and give the haulers more time to dump goblin corpses and pluck iron bolts from dead (and tasty) goblin mounts before the next attack appears.

The surface footprint of the fortress is growing.  The western approach now has an additional set of walls added to the five archery bunkers.  This allows for channeling of attackers into a crossfire between two or three fortified positions.  Plus a bunker should be able to fire on any "camp" besiegers might set up north of the river.

And "campers" are expected this year since the human diplomat was told that a state of war has been declared and then expelled from the fortress.  The destruction of one human squad is not deemed sufficient punishment for their gall in attacking a Mountainhome in the first place.  So we expect a larger force to turn up this year, which will be mangled to serve as a further example.

The only concern currently is figuring out how goblins on flying mounts are getting into a fortified tower.  They appear to be flying in *through* a carved fortification at the third level of a five level tower.  Odd.  A melee squad will need to be stationed near there during the next attack just in case.  And it was a good break that the marksdwarf squad stationed there was a veteran unit that wore full armor and had gotten some hammer training previously. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26161 on: October 18, 2012, 09:18:56 am »

A FB managed to swim up my well and into my meeting hall. No casualties, but now everyone is covered in FB dust that, so far, only causes massive blistering.

Meanwhile, managed to wall my vampire in a 2x1 room.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26162 on: October 18, 2012, 09:27:47 am »

A FB managed to swim up my well and into my meeting hall. No casualties, but now everyone is covered in FB dust that, so far, only causes massive blistering.

Meanwhile, managed to wall my vampire in a 2x1 room.
Is it systemic or focused only on the places the dust touched? If it's in their eyes they'll be blinded and things they make lose all quality modifiers, if it spreads to the upper spine or lungs they'll suffocate, if it gets bad enough to impede mobility you may get job cancellation spam. Fuck blisters.

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26163 on: October 18, 2012, 10:51:16 am »

The only concern currently is figuring out how goblins on flying mounts are getting into a fortified tower.  They appear to be flying in *through* a carved fortification at the third level of a five level tower.  Odd.  A melee squad will need to be stationed near there during the next attack just in case.  And it was a good break that the marksdwarf squad stationed there was a veteran unit that wore full armor and had gotten some hammer training previously.

They could be moving down diagonally.  If I understood another thread correctly, fortifications don't have a "roof" on them, so you'd need to build one to keep things from coming in over the top.

I repelled my first siege today without outside assistance!  Usually they show up with a caravan, get chased around by angry guards and then leave (first one on this map showed up, one bolt was fired at them and they left.  Such discipline!)

I actually thought it was going to end in disaster as I'd taken and melted down all the metal crossbows that the rangers were showing up with and forgotten to make new crossbows for them.  So the goblin siege passed through my shooting range completely un-shot.  The captain of the guard actually has an artifact crossbow, but he didn't feel like showing up to the fortifications :(

They got down to my trade depot, but the entryway had effectively split up the various squads, so I said fuck it and unlocked the doors before the trolls got to them.  My two(!) swordmasters then rushed out and carved a bloody swathe up across the trade depot and up the halls.  Neither got injured, though the marksdwarves that showed up and began wrestling got a little beat up.  I need to make them some crossbows and set up a range.  I'm building a sentry tower that overlooks the looping access path to my fort so I think putting a small range on top would do well at keeping dwarves up there to shoot ambushes and the like. 

Jerk ass goblins did set my dog breeding program back a generation though.  All those gigantic, muscular puppies got shot up.  Thankfully one of the remaining female dogs gave birth to a male puppy with incredible muscles(very muscular?  I'll have to look when I get a chance later) and just gigantic overall.  I wish the wiki had more information on these stats and what they do.  Not sure if I should try to breed for fat, or what the cap is for muscles/size.  I haven't seen anything over gigantic, but I also haven't seen any kind of "small" tag.   :-\

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26164 on: October 18, 2012, 12:03:44 pm »

The bitten militia commander transformed into a were-elk during the full moon.  She's going to remain in the quarantine bay until I think of what to do with her.  Drat, and she's another of my founders too.

Summoner caravan arrived - one of the summoners Hasted his wagon and it sped ahead of its brethren in some sort of crazy wagon race.  That was pretty funny.  They also casted Life on an elk bird corpse in the refuse stockpile, which was less funny, and now I have a friendly elk bird sitting in my refuse.  The merchant access is being floored over to the edge as we speak to prevent more moogle weight-lifting competitions.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26165 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »

@ Cvar - Very muscular means they'll be able to take slightly more punishment in combat because there's more muscle layers to get through, and they might be able to do more than bruising when scratching and biting. I only use dogs as meatshields (the enemy is more concerned breaking the grip of dog teeth on them than fighting that macelord charging them) but any who manage to score a kill earn a slab in my memorial halls.

For other livestock, if they're gigantic with incredible muscles, then that's a higher meat yeild. For those livestock also look for lots of fat for lots of tallow for soap. I guess for your dog breeding program though more fat also puts an extra layer of tissues for blades to get through.

@ Clover Magic - Relentless dangerrooming and then assigning her as champion when possible. Your everliving champion shall be feared by all dwarfdom's  enemies.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26166 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »

I sent my obsidian farm to nega-space.
I was very, very, very wrong about the pathing not being messed up.

Do you get job cancellations at workshops?
Maybe build a masons shop, forbid all other stone, and see if they can use the obsidian to make blocks.

In my game, I was getting "could not find path" when collect webs,
even though webs were like 5 squares from the workshop.

You could try carving out some circular halls, and see which paths the dwarves like to take.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26167 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

Just finished executing the last 4 invasions worth of goblin prisoners.

It's nice to finally have those cages empty and my marksdwarves trained.
Started replacing the first row of cage traps from the entrance hallway with weapon traps in hopes of improving kill to capture rates. Results so far have been quite promising out of the last two ambushes we only got one prisoner who was promptly moved to the execution/target-practice room and disposed of.

Smoothing and engraving all the exposed stone on the surface is almost half done and digging out the Hall of Glory (which is planned to take up an entire floor) is also going quite well.

Problem wise, everyone's cloths have simultaneously worn out and I'm working my cloths maker to a slow death keeping up with demand. On the upside though I finally found a use for the metric ton of cloth we obtained when the human caravan was decimate by goblins, trolls, and war dragons about 2 years ago.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26168 on: October 18, 2012, 03:34:35 pm »

I sent my obsidian farm to nega-space.....What the epic fuck.
There was long ago similar bug on beginning of 0.31. Seems like some advanced pathfinding optimizations somehow got wrong data on part of your map.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #26169 on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »

Starting up a new fort!
"Incesttomes" Sounds fun.
Off to a rough start, nearly starved.
The aquifer is deep down...I know, I'll set up an awesome waterfall throughout my fortress that drains into the aquifer!
The ocean will be my water source. Things can't go THAT wrong, can they.
Digging into the ocean, and...
...the game locks up.
Oh, it's running again.
And in one tick, my fortress is completely flooded. What's more, the ocean has completely drained. Into my fortress.
Well now I have a nice scenic waterfall where the river dumps out into an empty chasm that used to be the sea.
And look! One miner has escaped! We can rebuild from this!
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26170 on: October 18, 2012, 05:57:15 pm »

Success!

After 6 game years, 100's of deaths, 2 tantrum spirals and two tundra titans, we have breached the aquifer!

Many said the Osorumer Pump Project was insanity.  The original expedition leader killed himself.

But, now, we are the first civilization in the history of Thadar Thran to gain access to the ores that reside beneath the untamed jungles south of The Long Skull Realm.

Phase 2: world domination

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26171 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:59 pm »

Im about to either fill my first cistern with water.
Or maybe my fort, as well.
EDIT: I did it. Yay. I lost a miner though. Yay.
EDIT2: I have the ENTIRE cistern filled now. All sorts of fish swimming around.
EDIT3: Pics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:26:11 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26172 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

This new map purges the weak. The clouds sweep the landscape every so often and while a strong dwarf suffers numbness the weak are paralyzed and die before the cloud can pass the whole way over.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26173 on: October 19, 2012, 01:02:27 am »

Well, that was sort of disappointing.   :(

Another human attack on Waterspear after I rebuffed their diplomat.

Two squads of cavalry arrive and opt to camp out near the edge of the west side of the embark.  Figuring they would do that the fort has constructed a line of archery bunkers that will allow that area to be fired upon.  A couple of squads of mid-level militia go out to the bunkers via tunnel and start plinking away with wooden bolts.

The humans retreat off the map a short time later.  One killed, five mounts killed, and an unknown number of humans and mounts wounded.  The fort lost a dog that chased a kobold thief out into the midst of one of the human squads.

Weak sauce compared to the goblins.  They may have squads turn and run, but that's generally after they've watched another squad attack and get crushed by traps, massive amounts of bolt fire, and berserk axe dwarves.

Camel steaks in the dining hall tonight.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26174 on: October 19, 2012, 01:10:16 am »

Embarked as kobolds yet again, and already my spearbolds have earned thier keep. Torchlight, the warband marshal scored the first kill when he perforated a slugman's brain. Bell, his subordinate, on-upped him by oneshotting a giant otter, which supplemented our meager supplies of cave fish and fluffy wambler eye. Our draft animals are composed to two large giagantic horses, one also with above average muscle so they'll make good breeding stock, as will the above average sized pigs, one which is promising for high fat yields. We've caught an elkbird as well, which is a touch shocking. I'd laid those traps for the resident naked moledog that keeps meandering about the cave's exterior and got something even better.

It will take many generations, but these bolds will claim the beasts of the underworld for thier own.

EDIT: Or not. Savescum. Soldiers take too damn long to replace easily to lose them to AI prioritizing fails. I SAID KILL THE ELK BIRD NOT THE GIANT MOSTROSITY THAT FLIES.
Pages: 1 ... 1743 1744 [1745] 1746 1747 ... 3842