Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1738 1739 [1740] 1741 1742 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126366 times)

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26085 on: October 15, 2012, 05:51:12 pm »

In a scene reminiscent out of Wold War Z, during routine outdoors cleanup a wild camel stepped into a pile of cursed ash. He turned immediately and transfered the ash to some civilians, which then spread the infection further. My Axe Lord McSlash became infected and went to town murdering dwarfs left and right. He was disarmed by his squad mate Axe Lord McHack who chopped of his left hand and right arm before being overtaken by the growing ranks of thralls.

Quarantine protocol was initiated. Many dwarves and thralls were atom smashed in the name of safety. Some thralls are still outside the quarantine zone. Only a third of the fort survives.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #26086 on: October 15, 2012, 06:07:18 pm »

In a scene reminiscent out of Wold War Z, during routine outdoors cleanup a wild camel stepped into a pile of cursed ash. He turned immediately and transfered the ash to some civilians, which then spread the infection further. My Axe Lord McSlash became infected and went to town murdering dwarfs left and right. He was disarmed by his squad mate Axe Lord McHack who chopped of his left hand and right arm before being overtaken by the growing ranks of thralls.

Quarantine protocol was initiated. Many dwarves and thralls were atom smashed in the name of safety. Some thralls are still outside the quarantine zone. Only a third of the fort survives.
'Tis a dwarven version of The Great Chicago Fire. Just replace fire with zombie apocalypse and you're good.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26087 on: October 15, 2012, 08:06:41 pm »

i had a old version of a dorf fortress and well it has  honey badgers of doom, get this a plains fort that had a volcano and is quite... evil dear lord.

hundreds upon hundreds came *shudder* only one dwarf made it into lock down the hellish storm was more powerful then dragon fire,  nothing but bones were left of the badger stone after 5 sessions.... she was pregent and thank god she was a farmer. she lived  while the migrants were turned into paste and  well yah years later ancientangel fell because the doors god smashed by a angry bronze collosus that somehow managed to get threw the now skeletal flames of badgers and well the storm was released urist mcfarmer " herp derp planting herp durp GA-*melt i laughed the whole time because she was in tatters and all the ghosts were in the room.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26088 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »

So a wererhinoceros decided to attack my fort. Not expecting any major threats during my first year, this was a huge shock. So instead of sending my recently drafted but untrained military after it, I had my fort swarm the guy. A pony died but I think I can manage it as long as there's a guy around to handle the memorial slab.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26089 on: October 15, 2012, 10:36:26 pm »

Waterspear continuing work on various projects with minor interruptions when goblin ambush teams or snatchers appear.    Militia squads generally intercept them after being detected while in the general area of the Outer Keep.  However, one such goblin unit encountered a human diplomat and killed him before getting annihilated by a dwarf patrol.

Most of the hillock north of the keep has been walled in to serve as additional pasture and tree growing space; but mainly as area control to limit available paths for intruders.  This gives the fortress control of all the high ground in the area.  Workers have also paved the Outer Keep in order to keep undergrowth from blocking paths and firing lanes.  There are also now "bunkers" containing giant cave spiders available to web passing invaders.

The current event of interest is a "siege" by the humans.  They apparently decided to do this in response to losing their diplomat.  What they have not anticipated is the the queen considers an assault on the Mountainhome a serious affront and an act of war.  The humans will get their response - the corpses of human troops.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26090 on: October 15, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

No pictures for now, busy dealing with 4 hammerdwarves who are constantly throwing tantrums and punches, usually resulting in caved in skulls.

Legendary warriors FTW

EDIT: Oh, one of the hammerdwarves lost her hand somehow, and has been beating her own hand to death for the last month or so.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:41:01 pm by Lich180 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26091 on: October 15, 2012, 11:57:28 pm »

Headwaters has been relatively untroubled. No goblin invasions, very little in the way of trade and diplomacy, and almost no significant wildlife attacks or other forms of uncivilized encounter. Certainly nothing of note.

A few internal problems have come up, though; The cooks used up all the meat and fish in making prepared meals, which left no edible substance for our gremlin population. They were nearly all starving to death when I found out. Butchered some lambs and rams to feed them.

Another problem is the ghostly macedwarf floating around. A caravan guard who dodged off the highest cliff she could find over the river whilst chasing ravens. She exploded, violently, at the bottom, and has been haunting us since. Haven't bothered to slab her, and I don't intend to as she's merely restless and knew nobody at the fortress, so not a cause for tantrums. The river freezes in the winter so of the body was of course destroyed.

The farmer of the original 7 fell down a waterfall a while back and broke everything in both arms, and had to be fished out. Depressing, I suppose, to think he's now got a raging infection in one of those limbs. He had two infections, but apparently one of them got better. I'm still concerned that he may not survive. Along with him on the list of waterfall-related injuries, is a cat, pet of a dwarf, who fell down the waterfall years ago and was never rescued until I bothered to rescue the dwarf. It's still red all over, poor thing.

Currently two of the troops are leading demonstrations adjacent to each other. "Lead fighting demonstration" and "lead dodging demonstration," each with one partner watching the demonstration.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:00:57 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26092 on: October 16, 2012, 12:45:16 am »

Another problem is the ghostly macedwarf floating around. A caravan guard who dodged off the highest cliff she could find over the river whilst chasing ravens. She exploded, violently, at the bottom, and has been haunting us since. Haven't bothered to slab her, and I don't intend to as she's merely restless and knew nobody at the fortress, so not a cause for tantrums. The river freezes in the winter so of the body was of course destroyed.

Lol im imagining an impotent ghost trying to scare your dwarfs and failing

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26093 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:21 am »

If we could attack ghosts that would have created a Ghost of Canterbury callback scene.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26094 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:35 am »

My Baron's name is Treatydip. Fitting. As the treaty with elves has been dipped in the blood of thier diplomat. He dictates that no bolts may be sold. Ever. Likewise my mayor always insists upon demanding ballista parts or forbidding barel exports. And I want to start a silk farm... But I don't want to use a GCS that's not masterfully trained...

I have been struck with the thought of building.... Somthing. Out of clay-based bricks made in a fuel driven kiln. I have one child pening his birthday in hematite already picked to be the potter who makes them. I have no idea what I want to build or why. Also I've put up: A giant moose cow, a giant emu, a giant wren and a giant adder up for adoption, along with a regular sized dingo, since Mecsinur the giant dingo fell in battle.

The archery baracks in now fully furnished and stocked, the baron's quarters furished, everyone is clothed, has a room food and booze, and the soldiers perform well when cavern animals need to be eliminated or I don't feel the need to deploy Dreamsmasher's smashiness.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26095 on: October 16, 2012, 06:51:53 am »

One minute into the game.
"Its raining honey bee honey."

Best Side ever.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26096 on: October 16, 2012, 06:56:14 am »

One minute into the game.
"Its raining honey bee honey."

Best Side ever.
I got that beat, my embark rains Orc, Goblin, and Dwarf blood. Hooray blood party!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26097 on: October 16, 2012, 10:59:24 am »

I modded in a greenhouse in an attempt to grow all seeds in any biome, so of course there is an embark to test it.  Volcano on a tundra and haunted mountains, at war with another civ, yeah, let's go!

Embarked, blah blah, beware the wolves, strike the earth!  Now, let's see the layout of the land and...uh...

Well it looks like this fort is off to a stunningly-intelligent start.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26098 on: October 16, 2012, 11:40:29 am »

To Human Diplomat:

No. Consider the fifteen human corpses in the fields to the west our answer to your trespass and spying.

- Waterspear, Mountainhome.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26099 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

haha the animal dissector's liar skills have deteriorated to V Rusty since his wife died... aah I made myself sad.
Pages: 1 ... 1738 1739 [1740] 1741 1742 ... 3842