Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1737 1738 [1739] 1740 1741 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126275 times)

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26070 on: October 14, 2012, 10:39:49 pm »

Playing with the Masterwork Mod.

Work progresses on the all-marble-blocks Grand Cathedral to Armok at the site of MossyHammer, an idyllic setting with a small river running between two hills.  The Cathedral is being constructed on one hill with the fortress proper beneath it.  When finished it will have multiple falls of both water and magma, an altar to Armok made out of clownite, and a pool filled to the brim with the blood of Armok's foes and traitors to the cause.

All is not well beneath the Cathedral dome.  The administration spends most of their time shut up in their rooms avoiding the rabble.  Which is lucky for them because here I thought finding a magma tube a mere ten z-levels beneath the fortress to be a boon.

Suddenly, a Fire Man appears!  Armorsmith incinerated shortly after being kicked in the eyelid repeatedly.  This Fire Man doesn't pull any punches, literally.  He kicks.

Rouse the spearmilitia (a bunch of dwarves in copper equipment with absolutely no training.  That's what my defenses consist of.  That, and two wargolems).  They arrive FAR too late to do anything useful.  The nearby peasant mob going for socks manages to scare the Fire Man back into the magma tube.  I've no doubt he'll return in short order to incinerate more dwarves and kick in more eyelids.

Random peasant on fire literally SPRINTS up the ramps back to the main halls.  Ignites all the moss on the ground, the inferno ends up killing many dogs (meh), mastiffs (ouch!) and children/babies (woohoo!).  I didn't see this happen, mind you, I can only extrapolate from all the ashes and dead bodies in the former dining room.

Some semblance of order is restored, bodies piled up and dumped into the magma tube to provide more fuel for the forges, dog corpses butchered, etc.  Combat log pops up, I think "oh no, what now" but, I am flabbergasted.  So, I had this forgotten beast who's been here for over a year, doing nothing but wandering around and looking menacing on top of cavern cliffs with no access to dwarves.  He randomly shoots globs of deadly spittle and causes minor bruising.  I sort of took to thinking of him as my fortress mascot, a pet, if you will.  He actually tasted dwarf blood once when his spittle took some peasant trainee in the gut and knocked him off my cavern catwalks.  He promptly got shredded, thighs and shins and arms and blood flying all over the cavern floor.  I cackled with glee and allowed the forgotten beast to live after that.  Armok was pleased that day.

Anyway, wouldn't you know it, some random no-name jeweler with no kills to her name (but still wearing bone jewelry, oddly enough.  Sounds like a vampire but I haven't found any dusties yet) spots my poor little FB.  She's carrying javelins but she has absolutely no skill or training with them.  She throws a single javelin.  One.  Plants it square in my forgotten beasties' noggin and kills it instantly.  WAT.  WAT.  I had an entire squad of recruits try to bring that thing down and she just nonchalantly drops it in passing.  I debated punting her into the magma with the rest of the bodies but instead decided she can head my new squadron of snipers, apparently I have several snipers in this fortress as the last White Tigermen siege to show up lost three of their number to headshots from javelins before they even engaged in melee.  Good god, these dwarves terrify me even more than the dwarves usually do.  The melee was quick and brutal.  Tigermen are apparently not good fighters.  Cue combat reports of "The White Tigerwoman Spearman gives in to pain!" followed by.... no, not headshots, those are too quick for these dwarves.  They prefer to stab the tigers in the gut when they're down.  Intestines spilled all over the place, vomit, blood, retching, stabbed lungs and stuff.  I'd be disgusted reading these reports if they weren't so dwarfy.

Out of the original 16 tigermen, 6 died in about 5 seconds and the rest promptly said "right, feck this, let's be off, shall we lads?"  and ran.  One got a javelin to the leg as he was running and had to crawl the remaining 5 tiles or so off the map.  And this was without any armor or training on my dwarves either.

Just another day in the life of MossyHammer.  I was worried my "open gate" challenge would be problematic.  I am not worried whatsoever anymore.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26071 on: October 14, 2012, 10:42:03 pm »

I embarked with 7 miners, 7 picks, 1 anvil, and the rest of the points in booze. I embarked on a joyous wilds glacier and dug straight down to the candy, setting up magma smelters and a forge. I had about seventy wafers and one wave of migrants, when I accidentally dug through the cavern wall that was adjacent to my candy spire. unfortunately, this level of caverns was full of water. I was able to wall off the  magma forges, but the few dwarves trapped there have nowhere to go. They were entombed forever with a full set of candy armor and a battleaxe. I knocked out one of the walls and drowned them all; hopefully I can come back with a swimming adventurer and collect the equipment.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26072 on: October 15, 2012, 02:56:30 am »

We've all felt this pain.

All of it.
*Raises hand*
I haven't. I'm serious: I've never seen this happen. However, I due have a somewhat equivalent issue: children of masons will often get in the way. It usually happens about one in ten times.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26073 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00:20 am »

All of it.
*Raises hand*
I haven't. I'm serious: I've never seen this happen. However, I due have a somewhat equivalent issue: children of masons will often get in the way. It usually happens about one in ten times.

This.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26074 on: October 15, 2012, 06:42:04 am »

Most recently on Arrowpainted (Main comp), already am suffering from a pair of kobold thieves in LATE SUMMER at 15th Galena.  Didn't help he made the ubernoble unable to stand on her own feet with their dagger.  Death to all of Jrifithongin!  (Mind you, my fortress wealth's only at 14k dwarfbucks, and the bold little goits stormed the fort this early...  I think I unintentionally made neighbors with the kobolds' capital-equivalent.)  Either way, the ubernoble's on the way to a very makeshift hospital at the moment to receive her crutch treatment.  At least she didn't have her hands lopped.  (What's the earliest people suffered kobold thieves in?)

Very minor update:  She got better from the stab to the foot, but the sensory nerve won't be comin' back.  She's on task of doing the counting of the fortress goods.  Also hoping to get a better wave of migrants than TWO measly dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:44:01 am by NESgamer190 »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26075 on: October 15, 2012, 07:26:36 am »

All of it.
*Raises hand*

This.

It happens when the "Spot to Stand" and the "Wall" are not on the same Z-level.
Code: [Select]
vvv
+O+
+++

If the dwarf is coming from the north, they will stand on a ramp.
Of course, they cannot build the wall on the ramp.
The next spot in the path is the center tile / pillar.
The dwarf moves onto the pillar. This spot is "valid" so the dwarf starts building the wall while standing on the center tile.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26076 on: October 15, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

I've had them stand on the spot despite it being on the same z-level. :\ My kobold camp seems to be suffering from the kids standing in front of the mason issue though.

Fired up ol' Glacialhell and due to the overabundance of platinum, I', considering replacing my iceroad with a platinum one. The Bank of GLacialhell is nearing completion, and Degel the militia-carpenter who refuses a crutch has just finsihed hauling a chest to the build site by tying his beard to it and crawling. A child has become possed, and will most likely make something stupid and pointless. But then that's why I made the Bank of Glacialhell: A vault of artifacts and platinum coinage. The traders have left, and a daggerdorf is laying in traction so her busted arm and shoulder may heal.

There's more food and drink than I remember, but that's ok. I eagerly await more fell beasts for Captain meng Smithhollow the Coincidental Notch of Glittering to bludgeon to death with her dual maces.

EDIT:

A vile force of darkness has arrived! Marksdwarves to the pillbox! Meleedwarves behind the meatshields! Leverguy to Dreamsmasher's controls!

EDIT II: Sadly, the great giant dingo who served admirably before died when it ignored an attacking pikegoblin, as did the wolf and I think female war lynx. A shame. many dogs were also lost, but none of consequence. Dreamsmasher The Ender of Goblins has done well, between the animals holding them in place to be shot or squashing charging trolls, it also allowed several enemies to be captured (and soon they will be pitched into the deathpit of spikey doom. Survivors will be used as target practice.) Also a single weapon trap caused all kinds of havoc for the invaders, so now I plan to use the remaining wreckage of the battle to rig up more along the roadsides. However, other than many bolts being expended and dogs killed, the enemy war machine was broken and driven back into the raging snowstorm. No doubt many of these goblinoid fools will die on the trek back, with so much of thier soldiers and kit lost in this disasterous attack.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26077 on: October 15, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »

Looking through all the relationship profiles of my dwarfs to see if I could promote marriage.
Married, Married, Married oh theres some pink did that stupid dwarfette catch a grudge?

No. It turned out that the necromancer in one of my cages is her paternal grandmother.  :o

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26078 on: October 15, 2012, 02:01:55 pm »

It turned out that the necromancer in one of my cages is her paternal grandmother.  :o

I know a place named Spearbreakers with a similar strange occurance: We murdered our first king.

EDIT: Tragedy strike Glacialhell. not only has Mecsinur, the warrior giant dingo that fought for this fortress and claimed two trolls lives die in battle, but the couragous war hound Usaspuspung, one of the very first hounds of the settlement and killer of two goblins (though admitedly he just clamped onto thier necks and didn't stop chewing) has been claimed by old age. With Messinur, he shall join thier foes in the pile of unburiables, but they will also recive an honor: Theirs shall be the first slabs commited to the hall of Glacial Heroes.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26079 on: October 15, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »

If this Fort survives the next year I will be very suprised.
Had some Issues with booze. I had taken not enough on embark and forgot to brew new ones quickly enouhg so  I was ending up with some thirsty dwarves. Went down from 17 to 9.
On the positive side my Military commander is now a great Speardwarve from stabbing Berserk dwarves.

The caravan safed me, cause I had the crafts to buy some drinks but I wonder how long this moment of peace will reamain, everyone is tantruming. Except for my Military commander who got a bedroom lately. I really dont want him to berserk.  :-\

Edit:
And there goes another one. This one got drowned in lava after he opened the pipe for me.
So much death and chaos and this in the first ingame year. I love this Fort already.  :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:08:13 pm by Bastus »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26080 on: October 15, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »

Ok folks, kill the elven diplomat now, or wait until the caravan arrives, THEN kill him and the caravan, but let one elf escape to spread the word.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26081 on: October 15, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

Troll in the dungeons!!

It beelined for the entrance while I was trying to seal it off with a bridge.  Bastard.  Five of the founding seven have promptly dogpiled it...but we're not doing much good.  We've wrestled it to the ground and have it passing out from exhaustion...but so are all of the genomes.  It's a pile of exhausted genomes and troll, until someone catches their breath long enough to punch it a couple of times before passing out again.

They're aiming for the head, though, so hopefully someone will get lucky and smash its brains in.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26082 on: October 15, 2012, 03:17:05 pm »

The goblins have finally attacked me since I started playing again. They caught several of my dwarves alone in the wilderness and slaughtered them, luckily my 5 squads reacted quickly and brought the battle to them. Goblin crossbowmen combined with goblin macemen are a deadly combo though, and we lost a total of 5 dwarves. A small price to pay considering the very weak dwarves are no longer a part of my army since they are dead and I've been able to see how well my dwarves can fight. I hope the next migrant wave brings some warriors since I like having full squads.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26083 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:19 pm »

Welp, I had my champion beat the diplomat to death. Dunno how she's doing it but she's using two maces with one hand. Maybe she had them welded together in the magmaforge.....

I have also decided I shall be making a penance corps: Peasents given only elvish weapons and armor who must pay for all the resources that went wasted on them as children. I figure why the hell not, I have four peasents and another three on the way (I'm not used to having so many kids make it to adulthood) so a couple squads who must learn the ways of wood seems fun. When they get real weapons they actually appreciate it.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26084 on: October 15, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »

...The snow melted touside.  I just realized that instead of digging into the glacier like I thought I was doing, I dug into the frozen lake.

Screw the troll, I walled off the cavern and am now frantically trying to repave and rebuild the entrance so that it doesn't flood fantastically if the lake melts.  Since it's only a Cold biome, not Freezing, there's a strong chance it will once summer heats up.
Pages: 1 ... 1737 1738 [1739] 1740 1741 ... 3842