Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1736 1737 [1738] 1739 1740 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126428 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26055 on: October 14, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

Accidentally dropped an elephant on a peasant initiating a chain reaction that ended with his right leg impaled on a spike and torn off at the knee. It was awesome.
Also she was seven which makes her survival twice as awesome and at least three times as funny.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:05:26 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26056 on: October 14, 2012, 06:08:14 pm »

My legendary weaponsmith got the victim of a fell mood. He is a really nice chair now.
5 Minutes later his son got a mood and turned into a legendary weaponsmith.
And here I was worrying about grinding him up.  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26057 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »

On the full moon weird things happen.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26058 on: October 14, 2012, 06:50:21 pm »

Finally figured out who the vampire of my fort is.
(I picked up the current version of DF, and this fort, after a long hiatus, so I hadn't been using vampire-catching strategies and he's killed like 20~30 dwarves by now)

Now, I just need to decide what to do with him. I don't think I want to vampify my whole fort... and I don't really like the idea of walling him in the control room, if he's on break at an inopportune moment or starts tantruming, I'm pooched... I might just cause him to have an unfortunate accident.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26059 on: October 14, 2012, 07:01:46 pm »

Zan Uristkod, Ghostly Dwarven Baby, has risen and is haunting the fortress!

yeah, get in line behind the other 3 ghostly dwarven babies...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26060 on: October 14, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »

Busy year... little time for writing in the journal, been very busy keeping things calm in our own personal hell. At least we adjusting to our vegan diet.

First, a planter was possessed. Claiming a craftdwarf shop, she wanted bones, which we had none of, and promptly went berserk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She killed her infant, and attacked her next oldest child before the hammerdwarves caught up to her.

The bodies were dumped into the blood of Armok, to prevent them from rising from the dead.

Some human merchants came over the summer, and were almost caught in the evil clouds. They escaped, only to be eaten by the husks and zombies.

Progress on the zombie-disposal / defense trap system goes in leaps and bounds. After many different designs of varying magnitudes of dwarfiness (room with steel traps, floodable by magma, obsidianizing chamber, etc) we decided on a simple atom smasher design.

Anyone who tries to enter the smasher hall from the fort will be denied access by a pressure plate linked to a hatch over a pit. Zombies entering the trap will be kept in the trap by the same system, on the side facing the surface level. The bridges are linked to a lever, and we will take turns operating it until the undead have been thoroughly smashed to bits. The wall blocking the tunnel will be removed when preparations are complete.

A weregecko showed up, attacked a zombie, turned into a dwarf, and was killed.

Now, to watch the husband of the recently-deceased possessed dwarf. He is completely depressed, and after losing his wife and infant son I can't blame him. He has lost himself in his work as a furnace operator, and spends what free time he does have drinking in his room, lost in thought.

PS. The atom-smasher works flawlessly. Except for a few zombies that get to the one safe spot... but at least this thins their numbers.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:32:41 pm by Lich180 »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26061 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »

I don't think incinerating bodies keeps them from coming back as ghosts.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26062 on: October 14, 2012, 07:43:46 pm »

I'm mining out and smelting every piece of iron ore I can get my hands on to train my armoursmith up to legendary so he can make seriously awesome armour for my military. Then I'm going to do the same for weapons.
if you got enough wood or access to magma, why don't you melt all over again the stuff you make?

Zelob Gimerib, Ghostly Dwarven Child, has been found dead, dehydratated.

Wat.

Also, you may wonder why I'm letting so many ghosts wander up in my fort. And the answer is, why not? As long as they aren't murderous ghosts, they aren't worth getting rid of.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26063 on: October 14, 2012, 07:45:16 pm »

I believe he means rising from the muck and soil. Where they can activly attack dwarves.

A mad gembold died finally, which for nearly a month and a half after had the warband marshal depressed. Having a place in the sleepy den and plenty of stalk whiskey helped him get over it though (it's his favorite drink.)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26064 on: October 14, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »

I believe he means rising from the muck and soil. Where they can activly attack dwarves.

This, I have materials for slabs, and an engraver standing by.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #26065 on: October 14, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »

On the full moon weird things happen.
This reminds me, what the hell happened to Kivish, the child of the were-civet?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26066 on: October 14, 2012, 10:06:42 pm »

I have embarking OCD.
And yet, with the hundreds of embarks I've done over the past few months, I can't remember the last time I found an area with iron AND flux stone. In fact, I'd say 90% of the ore I dig up is tetrahedrite. What am I doing wrong?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26067 on: October 14, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »

No idea, I usually get worthless galena and zinc ore.

So a snatcher has made his move. In between two sparring soldiers. It ended as well for the goblins as you'd think: Badly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26068 on: October 14, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »

I have embarking OCD.
And yet, with the hundreds of embarks I've done over the past few months, I can't remember the last time I found an area with iron AND flux stone. In fact, I'd say 90% of the ore I dig up is tetrahedrite. What am I doing wrong?

If I find a site that's perfect except for ores I just fiddle with the local raws. I replace the data for the vein stones (microcline etc) with the data for iron and the data for layer stones with marble.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26069 on: October 14, 2012, 10:35:36 pm »

Well, I found out one of the soldiers suffered a minor muscle wound in her arm. Her pups are now blundering around with no rhyme or reason, but she'll live and barring more snatchers, they all seem to be sort-of going back into the camp..
Pages: 1 ... 1736 1737 [1738] 1739 1740 ... 3842