Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1735 1736 [1737] 1738 1739 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126413 times)

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26040 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:00 pm »

Demons from underground killed my fortress

One of the burning ones ran all the way to surface and torched the liason resulting in a slowly expanding ring of fire on the map

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just though it was a cool way to die.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26041 on: October 13, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

Thinking about redoing Strongtowers, the fort where I waited until I had a large stable fortress then sent all the children to the caverns until they grew up. Would anybody be interested in that?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26042 on: October 13, 2012, 10:09:30 pm »

Journal of Hikari, 20th Hematite, yr.454
First Previous Next

The pain child suddenly complained of hunger, but all she did was howl and refuse rest, so nobody wanted to feed her. So eventually we let her pass, under the watchful eye of two militia guards. Then someone alerted us of a kobold ambush on the surface. Three, no, four squads of kobolds started attacking zombies on the surface. We had started placing some guard dogs, when I heard a militia shout that some child had wandered upstairs, and that kobold zombies were unlocking doors...

The zombies were ignoring the trap-hall in favor of a shorter route, and we could not stop them because of the hacked doors. I really didn't want the militia to stand and fight, but I got too scared to seal-off the access hallway. We knew that there were some zombies covered in creeping murk...

In the end, we lost a farmer and two militia. One of them became a creepy murky axedwarf. Moliwa has sealed herself in a room upstairs, so we are digging frantically to free her. And our sweet pod seeds are up there !

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26043 on: October 13, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »

Spoiler: Large image (pumpkin!) (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Haha, god damn, the wall is engraved with nothing but a dingo, giant gray langurs, and pumpkins
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:58:28 pm by Putnam »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26044 on: October 13, 2012, 11:06:00 pm »

Spring for the kobolds! An assault by foul thieving macaques was met by the fury of kobold machets, dogs, and strange bone shrapnal blasting powderless landmines. I fear elves and necromancers will make themselves known soon.

EDIT:

The year is sometime in Slate, 17. I appearently have a kobold time travler.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26045 on: October 13, 2012, 11:48:35 pm »

New fortress, Amolon ''Opengears'' of Torusbembul ''The Greatest Mechanism'' civilization

A 5x5 embark at the junction of moutain, hill and forest biomes and with a brook. First year was pretty good. Found hematite with marble and chalk for steel production plus tetrahydrite, galena and sphalerite (Playing on frequent mineral occurence). The first two waves of migrant gave me three blacksmiths and some dwarfpower to start a basic metal industry based on silver and copper early. hopefully my entrance will be trap-ready for the first ambushes.

I've got two moods. First a hematite mechanism, probably in honor of my civ and a chalk earring made by an engraver. I'll probably fit a noble room with the mechanism just in case and give all engraving jobs to my engraver.

The migrants wave of spring has bring ''only'' 20 migrants instead of the 30 I was preparing for, so there's enough space for them.

Also, it's my first real fort since April so I haven't had the chance to play with minecarts before. The first thing I want to try is launching a lead minecart full of, otherwise useless, lead bars on gobelins. Should be Fun!

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26046 on: October 14, 2012, 03:51:37 am »

One siege, 2 dead.

One tantrum spiral later, 72 dead, 7 insane, 2 resting in the hospital and one trooper of a dwarf trying to clean it all up.

The goblins were all bowmen(goblin?) and a sword guy and got shredded in the main halls.  Suckers wasted all their ammunition on my pasture (toughest llama in the world too.)  But all my dwarves were already on the breaking point with me struggling to get food that isn't plump helmets this time around.  My dwarf civ has a cool name(The Amazing Gear!), but no access to plump helmets, so I had to learn about getting cave wheat and quarry bushes going.  No clue what I did wrong with the quarry bushes but I ran out of rock nuts right away and kept running out of bags for the wheat D:

Still been way more fun than most of my forts!

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26047 on: October 14, 2012, 04:38:15 am »

The human diplomat, who happens to be a extremely slow Gila monster deity, killed a good load of zombies on the way into my fortress. Meanwhile, my population hit 200. 30% are children.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26048 on: October 14, 2012, 07:35:44 am »

A human vampire diplomat visited my fortress where it snows human frozen blood. I have a little story going in my head where the dwarves give free natural blood to vampires who do not want to hurt people. :3

A lot of human merchants died in a goblin siege that came on the map a few squares behind the merchants, so friendship with the humans may wind up not working out.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26049 on: October 14, 2012, 07:40:12 am »

Aaaand a vile force of darkness has arrived before the last one was cleaned up. The diplomat who showed up right before the last siege is still here haha. Fortress entropy may be approaching a critical level.

e: The trained dragon melted the diplomat when it was aiming at goblins. It also killed a bonded polar bear, and wrecked the entrance (carved out of ice) and the drawbridge. Good... good...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:20:02 pm by the woods »

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26050 on: October 14, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »

Last uninjured dwarf went berserk, thought all was lost then a group of 35 migrants showed up!

The starting 7 are all dead and there is only one survivor from the tantrum spiral, still trying to sleep it off in the hospital.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26051 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:15 pm »

My Dwarves are trying out a new method of constructing things. It goes like this.

Step 1: bring all necessary materials to the building location
Step 2: stand in the space where the building will be
Step 3: complain that someone is standing in the space where your building needs to be, and suspend the job

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:05:31 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #26052 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »

My Dwarves are trying out a new method of constructing things. It goes like this.

Step 1: bring all necessary materials to the building location
Step 2: stand in the space where the building will be
Step 3: complain that someone is standing in the space where your building needs to be, and suspend the job

We've all felt this pain.

All of it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26053 on: October 14, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »

On a whim I decided to mod in Transformers as my new playable race.

I need to remove the GREETING usage hint.  As amusing as all of my population spontaneously turning into jets is, it promptly turns them tame and naked and they then spend an unholy time loitering in the nearest meeting area turning into a jet and back again.  At least this means that the transforming is, in fact, working as planned.

I also need to do some Decepticon pop ratio editing so not everyone is a Seeker.

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26054 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »

Last uninjured dwarf went berserk, thought all was lost then a group of 35 migrants showed up!

The starting 7 are all dead and there is only one survivor from the tantrum spiral, still trying to sleep it off in the hospital.

Well, tried to play it out, but second siege showed up 50+ strong headed by trolls.  Battered down my front doors, to meet the 6 military dwarves I'd scrounged up (one was the survivor from the old fort, rest were "dabbling") who killed the trolls and got gunned down by the elite bowgoblin.

Farewell Silverscaled, you were the most fun fort yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1735 1736 [1737] 1738 1739 ... 3842