Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1734 1735 [1736] 1737 1738 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126685 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26025 on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:47 pm »

I wonder who would win in a fight, your Fiendish Smoke Husk Corpses or my Creeping Murk Zombie Corpses?
Neither. They would fight forever, as husks/thralls larger than hamster or so are practically immortal. Toady really should get with pulping...
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26026 on: October 12, 2012, 06:29:35 pm »

During an early goblin ambush one of the Farmers(also Berzerker), charges the goblin cross bower and proceeds to punch him into unconsciousness.  If wrestling wasn't so useless I would immediately draft him.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #26027 on: October 12, 2012, 06:38:34 pm »

3501 food items. (483 drinks.)  :o Ahem, I think I bought wee too much food.

Also I might need to expand my food stockpile.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26028 on: October 12, 2012, 08:04:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great. A whole herd of boar zombies got caught in the ferocious mist, just as we managed to clear most of the surface.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least this worked.... Gonna need to redesign it though, make a path that will sort out and contain these things... time to make a few blueprints ((gotta do something to stay awake at work :P))

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26029 on: October 12, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »

My fortress has been having a lot of fun lately. I've been micromanaging the mining, extraction, and smelting of candy. First, there was the flooding of the vast majority of a candy vein I'd dug out, after I mined up into the bottom of a lake in the as-of-then undiscovered third caverns. One dwarf was trapped under water, but survived. The flooding was difficult to fix, and occurred before candy mining had actually been attempted. Eventually, though, a drain was worked out (I had prepared a door in the stairwell in the event of a flood, so even though the entire space filled with 7/7 water when the miner that dug into the lake walked through this door, no more rushed in) and mining began.

I've been working on a second vein, (the first was pretty pathetic) and ran into a problem with a cavern collapse; four miners were injured seriously and at least one is now permanently on a crutch. Which sucks because she's legendary in mining skill. I was very worried for a while, though, because we didn't have a well or soap for washing their wounds, so I considered fatal infection a likely outcome. Nobody has died yet.

Well, except that woman that went insane after failing to produce an artifact. But only her husband really cared.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26030 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »

You know those "loyalty cascades" that husks sometimes get?
And they fight each other endlessly?

I've got 3 husk zombie dwarves who have been punching another husk for over a year.
!! They are all elite wrestlers now !!  :o

EDIT: And I just got an announcement
Chinami RinRin, Dwarf Seige Engineer Creeping Murk Zombie has been killed by a trap.
Oh No ! Not my Seige Engineer Creeping Mur.... wha??
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:49:37 pm by ZzarkLinux »

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26031 on: October 13, 2012, 12:56:01 am »

just became a barony, currently mining, smoothing, engraving his rooms.
trying to clean up all the crap i have.... so many copper bits from the gobs. FPS sucks atm....
thinking about building a danger room...
5238 drink and 1903 other (not really sure what that means)
and steal axes and armor are slowly coming out....

still have not dug down for magma or caverns yet. just trying to get my military where i want it to be first!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26032 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:40 am »

Other is usually inedible plants, eggs, prepared meals.... Stuff like that.

got kobold camp and it's already going... sort of good. A decent wood supply built up, we brough stone in case we need it, a river for water and a lake for fish (which appears to be rich in salmon.) Shame that it'll go to hell whena necromancer shows up.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26033 on: October 13, 2012, 01:51:11 am »

just became a barony, currently mining, smoothing, engraving his rooms.
trying to clean up all the crap i have.... so many copper bits from the gobs. FPS sucks atm....
thinking about building a danger room...
5238 drink and 1903 other (not really sure what that means)
and steal axes and armor are slowly coming out....

still have not dug down for magma or caverns yet. just trying to get my military where i want it to be first!

Other refers to stuff like meals, tallow, cheese, etc... Stuff that's not alcohol, nor plant, nor fish, nor meat, nor seeds.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26034 on: October 13, 2012, 02:24:24 am »

I'm... not sure how this happened.

In my current fort it's winter, and the river that passed close to my fortress has frozen... all except for a single, 7/7 tile, over the staircase which allows me to enter the riverbed.

I just realized that said tiles (and actually, three more 7/7 blocked by a floodgate from submerging my baron's tomb) are marked as subterranean, but I was still WTF.

Also, the riverbed is being used as memorial hall. What the hell, there's no fishes in this river, at least it may be useful for something else!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26035 on: October 13, 2012, 02:53:17 am »

Also, the riverbed is being used as memorial hall. What the hell, there's no fishes in this river, at least it may be useful for something else!

I entombed a miner killed by a cave in prior to flood the reservoir
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26036 on: October 13, 2012, 03:02:44 am »

I entombed a miner killed by a cave in prior to flood the reservoir
I'm planning to entomb the baron (one of the surviving 3 of my first 7) and then flood the tomb...

Although I wish she'd just decide to get married >.>

EDIT: I meant a communal memorial hall. I've built every slab in there :p
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:15:57 am by darkgloomie »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26037 on: October 13, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »

Well, let's see...

-Progress on the geosynchronous magma-killsat-tower is slow, but steady. Recently remembered I need to use bridges, not floors, for the drop hatches. I'm almost done completely clearing out my control room too, so soon the level placement can begin. After that, I can probably start actually using it, if I build another layer for maintenance...
-I decided to expand into the caverns, by opening up a small hole in my wall and then walling off a larger portion of the caves so I could collect trees and plants. Then I found out the hard way that (flying) forgotten beasts and evil biomes are a scary combination. Fourteen dead Dwarves later, I think I've stopped the perpetual reanimation, although now I've got a lot of tantruming Dwarves. None have gone SRM yet...
-The Goblins really like laying siege against me. Since this fort is dedicated to the magma killsat and not military endeavors, I "win fights" by sealing the fort off... so when they finally get bored, the goblins leave long enough for traders to show up on the map, and before they even get to the gate a vile force of darkness has arrived. With more trolls, more mooks, and more legendary weaponmasters than the previous one. Recently they even brought one guy who appeared to be a tactician; legendary and purple but unarmed.
-Turns out that caravan wagons won't drive over cage traps. Well screw you too then mountainhomes, my food is more valuable than the crap you bring me.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26038 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »

Just started a mini-megaproject in a desert with a river. I'm making a cube something on the scale of 100x100x10, and flooding a 5-wide area around the whole thing. Nothing like a water-tight cuboid seal. Now I just need to remember if I can hang something from the ceiling and not have it all collapse.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26039 on: October 13, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »

New Day, new fort.  Started my fort up,desert biome, punched the aquifer, (1year, did an Embark Now so no rock). finally looked at my forst name and my groups name. Fort: Rulonol "Mutedmountains"  citezens of the Mine of Crystal. Group: the Outragous Blockade.

I have found my People.  ;)

2 artifacts so far, one failed mood (beserk) forced a quick response with the new squad i just commisioned.

pluse the usual snatchers and theives (none succesful yet)
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!
Pages: 1 ... 1734 1735 [1736] 1737 1738 ... 3842