Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1731 1732 [1733] 1734 1735 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126841 times)

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25980 on: October 10, 2012, 10:53:46 am »

Well, I accidentally drowned two dwarves (A child and a woodcutter) while trying to remove the wooden walls I already had built around the aquifer level to prepare for the drop-sleeve I'm trying to make.

My new team came in... I've been struggling to find enough idle hands to get the work done... not sure if I should convert the trees I'm cutting into more efficient blocks, or just keep clearcutting the jungle I've embarked in for mass wood. I need to figure out the cloth industry, so I can make more bags for sand for glass to create my aquifer drop-sleeve (... I hope it works).

I'm going to see if dropping auto-deconstructing wooden wall sleeves down the aquifer will function as a "hammer" that clears out entire Z-levels of aquifer... assuming my drop-sleeve will eventually work.

Toady REALLY needs to fix the child immigration issue... I wouldn't mind so much if the immigrants occassionally brough their children or maybe a younger sibling with them... but I just recieved nine migrants - Two adults, and seven completely-unrelated children.

I did notice that kids will deconstruct things. Since my fort is having a MASSIVE overeating/drinking issue, and not enough workers to keep the food and drink coming in, I may learn how to use burrows, put all adults on adult-only tasks well away from the aquifer, and send the kids down into the drowning pit to deconstruct the walls.

Either the damn walls will be deconstructed and my sleeve will have a clear shot and survivors will be useful swimmers, or I'll remove the completely-useless 50% of my population, which should likewise delay serious threats to my fort's security. And maybe get rid of SOME of the damn walls.

I hope this cave-in sleeve idea works.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #25981 on: October 10, 2012, 11:33:53 am »

Well, my reclaimed fortress fell to goblins hiding in the caves, so I'm starting a new fortress.

Ooh, this embark has a natural waterfall! This is the first time I've gotten one. What should I do with it?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25982 on: October 10, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »

Well, my reclaimed fortress fell to goblins hiding in the caves, so I'm starting a new fortress.

Ooh, this embark has a natural waterfall! This is the first time I've gotten one. What should I do with it?
Build an aesthetically awesome fort into the cliff-face around it... and upload the world and coordinates!

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #25983 on: October 10, 2012, 03:09:53 pm »

Build an aesthetically awesome fort into the cliff-face around it... and upload the world and coordinates!
I'm planning on making an awesome city with bridges criss-crossing the chasm and...
What's with all this damp stone?
Wait... Is it possible for the aquifer to be in the cliffside? I can't dig anywhere near the falls with all this damp stone. Crap, I got all excited and...
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25984 on: October 10, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »

Wait... Is it possible for the aquifer to be in the cliffside? I can't dig anywhere near the falls with all this damp stone. Crap, I got all excited and...

Dig tiles out of the cliff side to create even more waterfalls powered by aquifers! It's the perfect foolproof plan!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #25985 on: October 10, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

Dig tiles out of the cliff side to create even more waterfalls powered by aquifers! It's the perfect foolproof plan!
GENIUS!
brb, flooding the map.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25986 on: October 10, 2012, 06:26:16 pm »

So I've returned to FigureCurse to play some more Masterwork and get some more notes for my short story I'm writing for a class.

After looking at some of the dwarves for character notes, I've found our expedition leader, a female dorf named Geshun Leafbolder, is rather interesting to say the least.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also found a legiondorf (generally a natural badass one man military) who is not only a legiondorf, but is flimsy, quick to tire, and exceptionally weak. Enlisting him into the military to be trained as an axedorf for the luls.

EDIT: He got one one-two-ded by an ogress he thought looked easier to kill than the leprechaun holding a mithril bar which I had ordered dead . He'll get a coffin down in the mining tunnels, like the sorry excuse for a legiondorf he was.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:49:05 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25987 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:45 pm »

Oops, I left the zombie door open a little too long...

But it's not so bad. All the water zombies will drain into the aquifer trap hall just fine.

(That's what happens when you play too much Organ Trail: you get rivers confused with zombies)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25988 on: October 10, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »

Well, we've got a vampire in the fort...looks like old Kogan Otarokosh is gonna need to give them the silver hammer treatment once again, just like our civ's vampire king whom he killed 15 years ago. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #25989 on: October 10, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »

Well, new fortress time.
Welcome to Elcurennol!
"Plaguedreputation"
Oh Armok...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25990 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »

As I am expecting a goblin siege any day (400K wealth), I have been attempting to assemble as militia.

Currently, I have two squads: A sword dwarf squad and a marksdwarf squad. As I am not very experienced with militia, these groups are leveling up slow as molasses. So I decided to begin a more fruitful training program: Live training on locale wild life. The locale wildlife of my fort possesses unicorns, which make perfect training dummies. (Also, Emus.)

Though I think I need another squad (Maybe hammer dwarfs?), I'm still working on getting freaking armor for my current sworddorf squad. (Cancles make metal crap: ADDITIONAL CHARCOALZ REQUIRED!)

Though if I really want to advance my squads, I should breach the caverns and have them face the horrors that are crundles.

Also, I should mention, these squads have been around for a fair bit (year or so?), but I suck at anything militia. Still have yet to survive a siege (In terms of experience with other forts.) without massive casualties and the decimation of my entire dabbling level militia.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25991 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:25 pm »

Ever want to embark somewhere out of curiosity, but not for real? And then you get there and you see it's got a lot of potential? But you have to abandon anyway because you didn't set up any supplies? Yeah.

:/

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25992 on: October 10, 2012, 11:15:34 pm »

The goblins have finally arrived to my impregnable fortress. I closed down the outer outer wall and prepare the flooding chambers just in case (though from the position they're now they're more like self-destruct machine) and then seal them inside to prevent melee enemies getting near them. It's lucky that I already got the core part of my inner overground castle defense down so the goblins are gonna have a tough time getting to the entrance to my main fort. I decided on using the general trap hallway and pulled the lever for the bridges to it accordingly. I set my civilians in the burrow to work by having them operate the repeater traps. The military is assembling but not set for duty like now because I don't want them charging into the trap hallway (and I also aim for zero casualties).

Then I pulled the last lever to let them in. Everything went accordingly except I forgot about the elf caravan and they were murdered mercilessly. Also an idiot who is spamming me with job cancellation gets killed as well. But apart from that my military didn't get too see action because no goblin could survive the shitstorm in the inner fort.

Welp, that was anticlimatic.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25993 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:34 am »

Journal of Hikari, 5th Slate, yr.454
First Previous Next

30 adults. 17 children. 140 zombies. One headless zombie. And a dead baby.

Misao mandated bracelets. Misao forbade export of Bracelets. Misao made a PlanePacked steel bracelet, with images of dwarves being killed by zombies. We have no broker or economy, so we have no idea how much that thing is worth. Or how valuable any of our jeweled statues are.

Improving the entrance corridor. Needs decontamination area. Zombies broke into the corridor. Militia and traps work flawlessly. Migrants accept order to "kill dwarves"

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:10:23 pm by ZzarkLinux »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25994 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:37 pm »

Humans brought a ☼donkey leather headscarf☼ on their caravan. The description said it was made by "an unknown artisan."

I've never seen a masterwork anything that I didn't make before.
Pages: 1 ... 1731 1732 [1733] 1734 1735 ... 3842