Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1730 1731 [1732] 1733 1734 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126968 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25965 on: October 09, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »

Huge wooden vat of magma that fall on enemy by caving in anyone?
... how would you manage to fill it before the magma digs through the floor?
Still in this version I believe wooden walls don't burn.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25966 on: October 09, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »

After about two hours dicking around with mods and raws, I think I've discovered a way to make ice cream.  Well, it's not spitting error logs at me anymore and that is the important part.  We're going to embark on a glacier mixed with some sort of plant-growing biome for testing purposes because I'll need a lot of ice and I don't need it to melt.  Genning world!

Also apparently sometime in my mass modding spree I removed the ability to make wafers of mythril and adamantine from my genomes.  Oops.  I was wondering why they were just sitting on all that mythril thread last fort.

If the cakes and ice cream work, then we'll move on to revamping hair and fur for great justice.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25967 on: October 09, 2012, 07:21:47 pm »

So I got a "serious" siege, consisting of 3 different squads of goblins and their pets.

Except I didn't notice 2 of the 3, and so left two sides of my fortress open.

f-----

then I noticed that squad A had cave crocodiles, and thus my defense-by-river was also compromised -.-

lotsa civilians died (hooray! needed to thin the population!), and now tantrum spiral!

The infiltrated cave rats destroyed my trade depot though :( and made the huuge human cavaran leave in a hurry and made me sad, after their guards helped me out with the infiltrators... oh well, I'll make it up next year, and the diplomat is still here so hopefully *something* can be worked out.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25968 on: October 09, 2012, 07:49:27 pm »

Trying to build a reclaim party for my fort... I wish there was something between "Play Now!" and "Prepare Carefully" so I could bring some stone without having to stress out over starting skills...

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25969 on: October 09, 2012, 08:16:47 pm »

New embark is three biomes - Terrifying Glacier, Untamed Wilds Tundra, and Untamed Wilds Temperate Savanna.  Almost immediately a Giant Frost Spider spawned, but the evil biome actually saved my ass this time - it also immediately started raining filthy ooze, which causes vomiting, fever, and some sort of bleeding since now all the genomes are covered in their own blood.  Gladly, the spider too was affected, and spent more time trailing vomit across the surface than attacking my genomes so I was able to dig a bolt hole and get all my supplies inside and not die a horrible webby-zombie-death like the last Terrifying Glacier fort.  So we're walled off and covered in vomit and blood, but we're safe, all of us for once, and the livestock too!

Carving my fort into the glacier ice now.  Time for ice cream made from the finest ice The Bad Glacier can provide!  Mm-hmm, flavored with the essence of evil!

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25970 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:32 pm »

I'm trying to build up my militia a little bit more after several of the soldiers were killed in ways which did not at all involve being torn apart by goblins, and keeping up with the latest random noble mandates.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25971 on: October 09, 2012, 08:40:30 pm »

Step one of the ice cream process works!  We are able to condense ice boulders into the custom ice needed for ice cream making.  That was the part I was really worried about working, but it's gone just fine.  Yay!  Now we just need to get some milk and some plants...and some salt...and some sugar...shit.  The sugar's gonna be the problem, we can't grow sugarcanes here nor does the home civ have access to them.  I hope a more-tropical civ manages to make it to the depot...might have to hijack pewter-making for the first few seasons for sugar-testing.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25972 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »

Tombsteel is, dare I say it, thriving, even as I steadily dig my way to the circus and a clown car while simultaneously stealing everything that isn't nailed down and on fire from the Mountainhome.  Along the way, one of the bearded morons decided to make a FLUTE out of RAW ADAMANTINE.

Behold, Zuglar Enshal, "The Ship of Budding," worth 1336800 dorfbux!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:00:19 pm by Eisenritter »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25973 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »

Tombsteel is, dare I say it, thriving, even as I steadily dig my way to the circus and a clown car while simultaneously stealing everything that isn't nailed down and on fire from the Mountainhome.  Along the way, one of the bearded morons decided to make a FLUTE out of RAW ADAMANTINE.

You poor bastard. Thats huge. Next time, forbid the adamantine during the construction, and watch as the useless artifact becomes one of iron, and you get all your candy back.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25974 on: October 09, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »

You poor bastard. Thats huge. Next time, forbid the adamantine during the construction, and watch as the useless artifact becomes one of iron, and you get all your candy back.
I remember when something like this happened before. One person replied something along the lines of, "I would steal that flute and become an epic bard."
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25975 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:58 pm »

Awesome migration wave.

The hammerer from my previous fort that killed the vampire king just migrated...always good to see old friends taking up residence in the new settlement.  Of course, I made him the hammerer again, the guy certainly earned it.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25976 on: October 09, 2012, 09:19:33 pm »

I remember when something like this happened before. One person replied something along the lines of, "I would steal that flute and become an epic bard."

Well, he'll have to get it away from the clowns first.  ;D

EDIT:  Flooded the fort.  Furnace level is currently inaccessible, as are the tubes.  Unfortunately, did not involve magma.   :-[
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:19:51 pm by Eisenritter »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25977 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:33 pm »

So I got a "serious" siege, consisting of 3 different squads of goblins and their pets.

Except I didn't notice 2 of the 3, and so left two sides of my fortress open.

f-----

then I noticed that squad A had cave crocodiles, and thus my defense-by-river was also compromised -.-

I had a nearly identical situation way back in the days of yore. I thought my one militia squad could handle a dozen goblins... Then their reinforcements with beak dog mounts came around the back and absolutely slaughtered them. 2 militia dwarves survived or something, and the fortress went to hell for it even though the goblins retreated. I think a militia dwarf managed to kill their commander. My soldiers were all untrained wrestlers who I had mistakenly ordered to use pikes, not knowing that dwarves couldn't actually wield them. Back then, though, your dwarves got some huge bonus or something in combat and a bunch of rookie wrestlers actually had a snowball's chance in hell to fend off a trained squad of equal number. When they showed up next year, everyone was dead except for a baby floating deep in the flooded halls and a couple poor bastards up top who they slaughtered. Then the baby died of thirst or something...

The lesson I learned form it? Check ALL the edges of the map for enemy platoons before deciding on your strategy for the siege.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25978 on: October 10, 2012, 12:09:38 am »

Goblin cleanup in Waterspear has been completed in time for the hopeful arrival of the autumn caravan.

The marksdwarf practice area got a "live target" facility added on.  It was broken in with a goblin captured in the last siege who had been literally disarmed trying to enter the Main Gate.  One of the reservist squads peppered him with wooden bolts until he finally keeled over.  One bolt actually took off a lower leg.

The Outer Keep "Kill Box" got a few additions as well.  Some ditches extended to channel attacks by non-flyers a bit better, a few more lever spikes, a few more spiked ball traps, and also a few sets of crossbow traps.  The last were quite effective in a previous fort against snatchers and goblin mounts.  And the general goal of the traps is crippling their cavalry to soften them up for the militia to deal with.  A few extra cage traps should be put out as well since there is now additional use for captive goblins besides having one for the silk farm.

And... croc-splosion as a nestbox full of eggs hatched.  52 baby cave crocs are now pastured in a disused mining gallery.  A hen also hatch out a few batches of chicks.  Theser are insurance as the chicken flock is starting to get a bit old.  (Though with croc eggs available and the current food surplus the fort could probably slaughter all the poultry.)

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25979 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09:12 am »

Spoiler: NIC (click to show/hide)

From the diary of Dastot Mengsefol, Chief Engineer, late Sandstone, in the year 101:
   It's been almost a year since we founded Usandesil, "MurderAngel", and I am already tired of this hot hell.  The grass started drying before the end of spring, the horse and camel that dragged our wagon to this place have had only the meager scraps the herbalists have been able to scratch together from the sparse bushes.
   Acacia trees are everywhere, seemingly immune to the heat, but not to an axe.  Our two miners went to work and hacked a small respite from the sun inside a small hill - the lifeless white sand, which is everywhere, gave way to quartzite - great, everything is gonna be so white.
   Our amateur geologist proclaimed that this particular type of white sand indicated marble was beneath our feet, but probably a long way down, as well as vast quantities of hematite.  We ribbed her for her surety, and would still be, if our miners hadn't discovered limonite already, but there's no word yet from Ustuth about setting up a forge or smelter.
   As for me, I think I managed to draw the short straw here, having to go out into the heat to lay the cage traps - gods its so hot, even the small murky pool has dried out, and even when it rains, the ground doesn't stay wet.  There's life out here though, Giant Thrips drop out of the sky and the drone of their wings scares the animals.  Also, our carpenter/woodcutter saw a Giant Jaguar in the distance when he was hauling in some logs.  He was also terrified by some "feathered horrors the size of horses dive bombing" him, so, possibly heat stroke, I'm guessing.  The river is full of mussels and pond turtles according to all four migrant fish workers.  And they've caught enough mussels to feed us for the next year, though I am looking forward to some turtle soup at some time.  One of the herbalists also reported seeing a giant mosquito, enough of us have seen it to know its real and not a hallucination, nor was the chase it had with a giant grasshopper.  Hope we get the grasshopper in a trap, there's good eatin' in one of them.  There's toads all over the place, moving from one dried pond to the next in the search for much smaller mosquitoes to eat, but there's little life in the dried mud at the bottom of each pool.
  Right now, we're gearing up for the visit from traders sent by the mountainhome, we're hoping they need wooden corkscrews 'cause that's all we can give them.  Athel's churning them out in between cages, beds and barrels.  Ustuth has indicated we can't afford to sell any mechanisms until we dig deeper and get more stone, and I'm fine with that.

'Til next time.
Dastot Mengsefol, Chief Engineer.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:48:02 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 1730 1731 [1732] 1733 1734 ... 3842