Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1729 1730 [1731] 1732 1733 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126990 times)

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25950 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:11 am »

Well... I decided to embark on a flat ground with an aquifier, attempting to put the Two-slit method to work!

Unfortunately.... after securing the first level of the aquifer, the second was filling with water too damn fast. Now, I'm going to have to start building an above-ground fort to ensure the safety of my dwarves, and start farms once I get some migrants.

Somehow, despite redundancy in my jobs (I have three Carpenter/Mechanic/Architect/Pump Operators, and two miners) that was supposed to eliminate downtime, ALL of my goddamn dwarves managed to synchronize their Eat-Drink-Sleep-On Break cycles, so instead of having everything going smoothly, I either have 3 Completely Idle dwarves while two work, or NO dwarves working while everyone else eat-drink-sleeps.

Also... I think this embark party is hitting the booze far harder than any other embark party in my history... feels like half my uptime has been wasted waiting for the buggers to get back to work.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25951 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:21 pm »

Well... I decided to embark on a flat ground with an aquifier, attempting to put the Two-slit method to work!

Unfortunately.... after securing the first level of the aquifer, the second was filling with water too damn fast. Now, I'm going to have to start building an above-ground fort to ensure the safety of my dwarves, and start farms once I get some migrants.
I feel your pain, bro. You sure you didn't dig too much before walling it off?

As for the redundancy of jobs, I take it each of your dwarves has multiple jobs? Then it's common they'll act like that, having a single specialized dorf trumps 3-4 with multiple ones usually, although having the 3-4 as backup doesn't hurt.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25952 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »

Alright. Spring, year two.

One year in this... unique place. We managed to make it through an ogre zombie attack, which turned into a ogre husk zombie attack after the ferocious mist caught them outside. Our homeland caravan was destroyed as well, so supplies are limited.

Now, the elves come. The zombies and husks roaming the wilds smell fresh blood.

Poor bastards didn't see it coming.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least they left us sun berries and other assorted meat products... our steady diet of plump helmets is starting to drive a few of us mad.

We are working day and night to reclaim the surface, and a new entrance has been dug. Hopefully this will work...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magma forges and smelters have been made, since we have no other source of fuel, nor any kind of lumber. The few beds we have are constantly in use.

Lets hope our system works... or else we may yet die in this damp hole.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25953 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:10 pm »

One of my legendary armor smiths showed up his legendary clothier wife.
Both kids are mighty and unbelievably mighty, and 13 and 14 respectively.  I think they both go adult instantly next spring.

They all ran through the muck to get in, a strange rain that instantly bruises the entire body, but whatever.

Yeah, definitely.  Nothing like getting an early jump on things with your last fort's legendary smiths and a couple legendary clothiers/masons/leatherworkers...also got the legendary marksdwarf hunter for the new militia.  Lots of quick wealth creation and soon to be fast gear up of the military.

EDIT: Downside: giantess showed up, cage traps don't fail me now!
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25954 on: October 09, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

I feel your pain, bro. You sure you didn't dig too much before walling it off?

As for the redundancy of jobs, I take it each of your dwarves has multiple jobs? Then it's common they'll act like that, having a single specialized dorf trumps 3-4 with multiple ones usually, although having the 3-4 as backup doesn't hurt.
I dunno if I overdug or not... probably, or I hit the bottom of the aquifer without realizing it (Which would also explain why it's not draining down into itself.) Doesn't help that it's all sand, so I can't simply smooth it over.

Now that I've got migrants (Including two soldiers... but they're currently being wrestlers due to lack of access to the iron under the store)

A caravan arrived, and I'd forgot to build a Spiked Wooden Ball or two to ensure I could buy out their food and booze supplies - And while I was scrounging up things to sell (four Capuchin Bone Crossbows, excess medical supplies, a few nice cages)... Despite managing to scrounge up a 50% profit margin in exchange for their wine and ale barrels and Plump Helmets, the traders were instead insulted and left in a huff. If my fort hadn't been so incomplete and unarmed, I probably would have done something very stupid. Well, at least they didn't have any stone anyway.

So now my fort's out of food and nearly out of booze, I have no farms or stills, and Kobolds have started infesting my fort. At least I have the wall around my area complete, but I need to come up with a better way to handle the four doors.

Since I don't really have many items and my dwarves will soon run out of happiness due to the sudden loss of food and booze, and conatantly being caught in the rain, I think I may want to abandon and reclaim the fort with a new crew, bringing stone and a better workforce than my "Embark Now!" team.

Oh yeah... I also had a problem getting my dwarves to move all the damn medical supplies out from around the hole I dug to pierce the aquifer. They refused to stockpile them (Though I have several "Universal Stockpiles" meant to hold everything that won't decay), or even move them to the garbage dumps (I had nine idlers refusing to haul the damn medical supplies) So, I finally decided to dig out a small hole and designate it as a Hospital, which seemed to clear that problem up.

Now, either when I reclaim the fort, or if I bother to continue with my current impending disaster, I'm going to build a wooden "Sleeve" of walls around my aquifer-drilling hole, then find a way to drop it and completely wall off the flooding pit so I can continue getting through... the "Penetrating the last aquifer level" set of instructions is beyond my comprehension so far. Expected outcome is me being able to clean up the mess I made down there, then continue as per instructions. Best case scenario, I punch completely through the aquifer layer well into solid rock, and don't have to worry about it anymore. Worst case scenario... I'll be able to experience part of the !!FUN!! that makes Dwarf Fortress so legendary.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25955 on: October 09, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

Giant flying squirrels claimed the life of a carpenter. So my miners ripped thier heads from thier shoulders.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #25956 on: October 09, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »

There's a trail of vomit leading from my dining room, all throughout my kitchen, and into the food stockpile.
I saw it happen, too. Two dwarves were in the kitchen when one of them threw up on the other. Then he started throwing up, too. Then they went their separate ways, leaving trails of puke to the stockpile and the dining room, respectively.
Just wanted to share that mental image with you all
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #25957 on: October 09, 2012, 03:03:35 pm »

Just recently got my danger room built and my militia, including the guard force for basic fort patrolling, is now all legendary, except of course my marksdwarves; only one of them is legendary yet.... I'm currently digging graves for the dorf corpses from my last siege so i can finally clean my entrance up. I'm also trying to get my volcano powered magma moat to work. Sadly i've yet to have much luck as my top fortress level is dug DIRECTLY under my main entrance and defensive walls.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25958 on: October 09, 2012, 03:04:37 pm »

fuckjn connection ate my giant reply >.>
I dunno if I overdug or not... probably, or I hit the bottom of the aquifer without realizing it (Which would also explain why it's not draining down into itself.) Doesn't help that it's all sand, so I can't simply smooth it over.
There's a good tutorial on youtube linked in the wiki, I followed that to do aquifer breaching. You need to carefully dig and wall off early aquifer so as to prevent new water from forming.
Now that I've got migrants (Including two soldiers... but they're currently being wrestlers due to lack of access to the iron under the store)
Shouldn't the soldiers come preequipped with their weapons? Alternatively, goblin snatchers and kobold thieves can give good supply of early metal.

Early militaries are usually made of marksdwarves though, wood or bone bolte are decent weapons agaisnt unarmored foes.
A caravan arrived, and I'd forgot to build a Spiked Wooden Ball or two to ensure I could buy out their food and booze supplies - And while I was scrounging up things to sell (four Capuchin Bone Crossbows, excess medical supplies, a few nice cages)... Despite managing to scrounge up a 50% profit margin in exchange for their wine and ale barrels and Plump Helmets, the traders were instead insulted and left in a huff. If my fort hadn't been so incomplete and unarmed, I probably would have done something very stupid. Well, at least they didn't have any stone anyway.
Likely an elven caravan. They just up and leave if you try to slip 'em anything wooden, even accidentally. Luckily you can simply seize their stuff- won't hurt more than letting them leave angry, although anything you can't use is fundamentarily useless as you can't sell stolen goods unless further labor is done (ie decorations)

So now my fort's out of food and nearly out of booze, I have no farms or stills, and Kobolds have started infesting my fort. At least I have the wall around my area complete, but I need to come up with a better way to handle the four doors.
Give any idlers the Plant Gathering skill and design a large area of the map for plant gathering. Also get a still up and running. Those are priorities. Kobolds aren't much more than an annoyance, if you got any dog train them for war or hunting (prepare a zone for animal training i - t, then give a dwarf the Animal Trainer skill) and post them near the entrance of your fortress via pasture. They'll keep sneaky sneakers busy until marksdwarves come.

Since I don't really have many items and my dwarves will soon run out of happiness due to the sudden loss of food and booze, and conatantly being caught in the rain, I think I may want to abandon and reclaim the fort with a new crew, bringing stone and a better workforce than my "Embark Now!" team.
Abandoning is for pansy elves! Live out the tantrum spiral! See what you can salvage!

On reclaim, all your stuff will be scattered on the map; use the mass designation tool to reclaim stuff (d - b - c)

Oh yeah... I also had a problem getting my dwarves to move all the damn medical supplies out from around the hole I dug to pierce the aquifer. They refused to stockpile them (Though I have several "Universal Stockpiles" meant to hold everything that won't decay), or even move them to the garbage dumps (I had nine idlers refusing to haul the damn medical supplies) So, I finally decided to dig out a small hole and designate it as a Hospital, which seemed to clear that problem up.
If the aquifers still supply water, dwarves are reluctant to go in there. Try to train swimmers so they'll be more likely to path to water.

I personally build swimming pools near aquifers( channel a one-tile aquifer, build a screwpump pointed towards a room and a second pointing to the aquifer, then trap your wannabe swimmers inside by designating them as a military squad then ordering to move in the room. Lock the door, start the first pump 'till the room is at least 4/7 each tile, up to 6/7 is still safe though. While idling, the dorfs will socialize and level up swimming in there. When Adequate or more, use the inside pump to empty the room so it can be reused and unlock the door

Now, either when I reclaim the fort, or if I bother to continue with my current impending disaster, I'm going to build a wooden "Sleeve" of walls around my aquifer-drilling hole, then find a way to drop it and completely wall off the flooding pit so I can continue getting through... the "Penetrating the last aquifer level" set of instructions is beyond my comprehension so far. Expected outcome is me being able to clean up the mess I made down there, then continue as per instructions. Best case scenario, I punch completely through the aquifer layer well into solid rock, and don't have to worry about it anymore. Worst case scenario... I'll be able to experience part of the !!FUN!! that makes Dwarf Fortress so legendary.
Wooden walls will deconstruct on falling, you're better off with glass blocks or clay blocks (build wood furnaces for charcoal, build kiln or glass furnaces to gather clay/sand in bags from predesigned zones, make blocks)

the easiest way to cause cave-ins is to build the part to be dropped, connected to the rest of the floor by a single tile, then deconstruct the tile. This will displace the water and likely send the dwarf who deconstructed the floor flying. Some more exp for doctors!

Hope this helps

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25959 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:52 pm »

Wooden walls will deconstruct on falling, you're better off with glass blocks or clay blocks (build wood furnaces for charcoal, build kiln or glass furnaces to gather clay/sand in bags from predesigned zones, make blocks)
Ah! Thanks for the heads-up on that one! Otherwise, I would have had quite a bit of !!FUN!! as I completely flooded absolutely everything.

I think I'll abandon and reclaim just so I can come back with stone to build mechanisms and furnaces.

The caravan that I ticked off was the Home Civ caravan just before the first winter... unless Elves slipped in before them. I wasn't REALLY paying attention... but all the stuff it was selling was iron and steel. And my "soldier" migrants, while highly skilled in Axes and Swords respectively, were technically an Architect and a Peasant, so they came civie-garbed. Still took out a kobold and four capuchins.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25960 on: October 09, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

Ah! Thanks for the heads-up on that one! Otherwise, I would have had quite a bit of !!FUN!! as I completely flooded absolutely everything.
!!Fun!! is only for things on fire :D unless those logs spontaneously combust, it's only FUN

The caravan that I ticked off was the Home Civ caravan just before the first winter... unless Elves slipped in before them. I wasn't REALLY paying attention... but all the stuff it was selling was iron and steel. And my "soldier" migrants, while highly skilled in Axes and Swords respectively, were technically an Architect and a Peasant, so they came civie-garbed. Still took out a kobold and four capuchins.
Weird... did they make counteroffers you kept rejecting? Because if you did, the trader's disposition worsened with every failed trade until they were too angry to trade anymore...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25961 on: October 09, 2012, 04:08:31 pm »

Huge wooden vat of magma that fall on enemy by caving in anyone?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25962 on: October 09, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »

!!Fun!! is only for things on fire :D unless those logs spontaneously combust, it's only FUN

Weird... did they make counteroffers you kept rejecting? Because if you did, the trader's disposition worsened with every failed trade until they were too angry to trade anymore...
Yeah... it was a small transaction, but I was demanding ~230 dwarfbucks worth of stuff in exchange for ~380 dwarfbucks.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25963 on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:27 pm »

Huge wooden vat of magma that fall on enemy by caving in anyone?
... how would you manage to fill it before the magma digs through the floor?

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25964 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »

im trying to kill my fort because i don't want to abandon so i just blocked the farms wells and other useful places with pretty statues but the dwarfs are so damn resilient that even when most of them are throwing tantrums and miasma is everywhere from all the decaying friends they still endure and keep the damn place running somehow
Pages: 1 ... 1729 1730 [1731] 1732 1733 ... 3842