Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1728 1729 [1730] 1731 1732 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127084 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25935 on: October 08, 2012, 11:22:24 am »

Couple of interesting observations from migrants hailing from Frenzyseals (previous fort)...one, a lot of them retained the same thoughts/mood they had at the time the fort was abandoned.  Secondly, some of them arrived with additional kills of animals, etc. in their descriptions.  Also, lots of legendaries from the former fort showing up.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:50:57 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25936 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:42 pm »

Just had a total LOL moment, I was trying to trade with a Human caravan but for some reason the Broker wasn't at the depot. I look at Reports and see one of the Broker fighting.

When I check it out, the Mayor was throwing a tantrum (apparently because his luxurious room didn't have a weapon stand) and the two were engaged in a brutal fist fight in one of the offices. Eventually the Mayor snapped some of the Broker's fingers and he had to retire to bed, by which time the caravan had left :D

QuaQuaTon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Brilliant Escape-artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25937 on: October 08, 2012, 04:03:32 pm »

Was digging out a "tube" adamantite and released hell unto my fort. Thankfully I had decided to make an above ground open fort with wood walls and such, the demons killed everyone that wasn't above ground and a couple dwarfs are stuck down there and have boxed themselves in just to starve to death. Damn greedy nobles just wanted more adamantite... All my food/ore/good/etc is allllll underground and interconnected therefore allowing the demons to control it all... So... My fort is waiting to starve to death while demons wait below. Bloody good fun

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25938 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:51 pm »

Well I was gone for a few days, but I was able to bring my highly immobile 'lap'-top with me, so I was able to play DF.

What happened in a nutshell: Magnetite is in every layer of my fort, so a mine wasn't needed. Steel industry is up, but moving very slowly. I am producing way TOO much stuff (As in, raising the value of my fort too fast for me to handle.). Made a treasury for coins of copper (Way to much of that stuff.) and any imported metals. got a squad of 10 swords dorfs training with some armor. 2 Goblin ambushes occurred while the dwarven caravan was in my depot in year two, I'm confident the fort would of died if not for the caravans guards. That incident prompted me to finish securing a surface entrance and to begin work on a trap hall. A cyclopes attacked shortly after securing the entrance, killed to surface idiots and a sword dorf, other than that, it was disposed with ease.

Also: My fort is burning through stone and wood WAAAAY to fast. At this rate the entire surface will be barren of trees and I will have no flux (My fort is almost entirely in limestone), my fort will come to a stand still if I can't advert this. Maybe cutting bin production will help.

So yeah, everything is going fine. It is currently the middle of year three. (Year is relative, overall it's the year 329 or some jazz like that.) Nothing real exciting, but who wants to bet I get an 100+ gobbo siege between now and sometime in year four? Because that's what always happens to me. (Tiny siege -> dealt with, but severe casualties, -> massive arse siege -> Game ending FUN!)
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25939 on: October 08, 2012, 05:30:55 pm »

There's reanimated yak hair terrorizing my surface fort Copperpools as a part of The Ultimate Challenge

If I had some metal mechanisms I could have at least linked the bridge to seal out the zambies, or get some weapon traps in the main entrance to re-kill them all, but Urist McUselessFisherdorfmigrant had to get possessed 2 minutes after he arrived and hog our only metal forge. Now there's some yak hair gnawing on our dogs, and undead dogs gnawing on everything else while marksdorfs try to pepper the undead to death with bone bolts from atop the mead hall.

The fort's at a standstill, and it's a chaotic mess.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:34:37 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25940 on: October 08, 2012, 05:52:22 pm »

Got a moogle caravan (!?!)  I was unaware that cave civs could trade if they had access to language and pack animals.  Weird.  I've never gotten a moogle caravan before, maybe I'm really close to a cave they live in.  Unfortunately, since they fly, their pack animals got separated from the moogles and only the wagons made it to the depot.  I DFHack-drowned them, free goods!  Because I hate that bug and we can't kill what they use as pack animals.

Built some surface walls and a roof over the farms so people stop tracking through the summoner blood that rains on the Terrifying mountain part of the map.  Got a well working too and channeled a moat into the brook.

Overall, life is going nicely here, unlike the previous fort which ate five reclaim parties before I gave up and went to sleep.  As long as I don't let anything die on the evil part of this map, we're fine.  Founder swordsman, you will be missed in your valiant efforts to hold off that zombie giant eagle.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25941 on: October 08, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »

The Town of Gearworks just got it's first mayor! And I am 97.5% sure he is a vamp due to his mile long associations list. I'm going to seal him in his room, except during liaison visits and what not. After his reign is over, I shall seal him in a tomb, to be forgotten of until he is the last dwarf alive, because sieges tend to do that.

In the mean time, his first mandate: "Export of Ballista arrows Prohibited"

I'm okay with this.

Though maybe I should make a bunch of them and sell them, so he enters and tantrum and hopefully goes berserk, so my militia has an excuse to kill him.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25942 on: October 08, 2012, 06:27:08 pm »

The Town of Gearworks just got it's first mayor! And I am 97.5% sure he is a vamp due to his mile long associations list. I'm going to seal him in his room, except during liaison visits and what not. After his reign is over, I shall seal him in a tomb, to be forgotten of until he is the last dwarf alive, because sieges tend to do that.

I'm okay with this.

Though maybe I should make a bunch of them and sell them, so he enters and tantrum and hopefully goes berserk, so my militia has an excuse to kill him.
Make a cursed fountain with his blood, but don't curse the main water supply. Save the fountain for a chosen few (the royal family or your legendary warriors for instance) so that they too can live forever.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25943 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »

I'm okay with this.

Make a cursed fountain with his blood, but don't curse the main water supply. Save the fountain for a chosen few (the royal family or your legendary warriors for instance) so that they too can live forever.
Never really been a fan of vampire forts. Everyone moves slow (Problem for warriors.) and the live forever thing doesn't matter if most forts don't make it past ten years. Though if I do collect enough of them, I might just make a vampire dwarf vault.

EDIT: Oh hey, one of my glass makers went insane....How did I not notice this?

Oh look, they were one of my militia squads. STOP DROPPING LIKE FLIES!
Scratch that, though one of my militia members is missing......hmmm.
Vampires.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:44:01 pm by Mageziya »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #25944 on: October 08, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »

The Dwarvern River Canyon Fortress with a waterfall has begun to blossom into something epic. Rather than take a sane approach to Fortress creation, I decided it made far more sense to create a fairly intricate fortress that weaves in and out of the canyon walls, connected by retractable bridges here and there. I've also had a few masons and engravers to clean up the copious amounts of granite stirred up by my fortress, so I'm going to have the finest walls this part of the country has ever seen.

However, this is not what makes this fortress epic. What makes this fortress cool, is the copious amounts of Native Gold, rare gemstones, and Galena found naturally occuring in the walls of my fortress fortress. Due to the very odd nature of my fortess, this means that I my fortress is going to rapidly become very rich as soon as I can get a stable smelting industry going. To make it even better, I've had three really good metalsmiths arrive recently. I shall soon deck out my soldiers in the finest silver armour!

But, this will be very difficult as I landed in an area with almost no trees, only cactuses. There is no doubt I'm going to have rely extensively on the caravans for wood. Not that its a terrible thing, just an inconvienience. That and I seem to have issues with getting wagons to path to my fortress. When I finally finish with the living quarters, I'm going to have to get my miners to build a path that allows wagons. Also, I have a feeling that my fortress will be very weak against any air attacks, and the river freezes partially during the winter, leaving a path into the fortress through the fishing bay. But I don't think this will be too much of a weakness. Afterall, I don't think they are quite smart enough to attack that entrance.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25945 on: October 08, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other news, also taming bugbats. Not so awesome... War Giraffes turned out, sadly, to be a pipe dream, due to their voracious appetite for grass and tendency to revert to a wild state in ther middle of pastures. As a consolation prize, the hippie caravan brought a giant dingo that has proven very effective in reducing wounded (either from walking through a gauntlet of weapon traps, or taking a 10-z plunge onto some lovingly crafted +menacing copper spike+s) goblins to their component parts by latching on the nearest limb and tearing it out of its socket, time after time, with ruthless efficiency. Ironically, the Demolition Dingo is much less effective against unconscious opponents, since it always goes for a headshot only to be blocked by a measly («copper helm»).

Mortalgravel, too, is starting to get to that "okay, what now?" point where everything runs more or less smoothly and nearly everybody has a furnished room and a table at the dining hall. There's also a decon shower/waterfall in there that very neatly demonstrates the computational load of fluid dynamics:
(Waterfall is off)
FPS: 56 (25)

"Imma turnin mah levar!"

(Waterfall is on.)
FPS: 12 (14)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:05:43 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25946 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:20 pm »

There's also a decon shower/waterfall in there that very neatly demonstrates the computational load of fluid dynamics:
(Waterfall is off)
FPS: 56 (25)

"Imma turnin mah levar!"

(Waterfall is on.)
FPS: 12 (14)
I suppose this means only have water fall on in times of desperate need for happiness in the fort.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25947 on: October 09, 2012, 01:46:00 am »

Having a couple successful forts that ended by boredom rather than violence and spiral turned out to be a good thing.

One of my legendary armor smiths showed up his legendary clothier wife.
Both kids are mighty and unbelievably mighty, and 13 and 14 respectively.  I think they both go adult instantly next spring.

They all ran through the muck to get in, a strange rain that instantly bruises the entire body, but whatever.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25948 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:43 am »

@ Sus - Clearly you forgot to remove the grazer tag from all the cool (as in can be trained to murder things) tropical herbivores.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25949 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:21 am »

Journal of Hikari, 28th Obsidian, yr.453
First Previous Next

Kotonoa went mad, cursing about our MeltedPants ritual. We read through her notes, and found both helpful things and ... weird things. I'm not going to describe what was mentioned until I hear more from the others. Still, after some thought, I've decided to continue on with logging this fort's progress.

We built three slabs today. One for Kotonoa, one for our butcher Lisa, and another for Rin. Kotonoa claimed 2 dwarves before being dumped away... I've heard that some people saw Lisa fall into the magma, so I blame that on the zombie too.

Spoiler: Dont be a Lisa (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:29:24 am by ZzarkLinux »
Pages: 1 ... 1728 1729 [1730] 1731 1732 ... 3842