Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1717 1718 [1719] 1720 1721 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127737 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25770 on: September 28, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »

Only if the initial bite torn the skin. Shaking damage won't tranfer it, nor will brusing. Torn muscle or fat though pretty much means get him treated, isolated, and out quick.
Oh damn.

Well, the reason for that is that here, all our hospital beds have been taken up by a series of random attacks by litterally every source. Trogs, Crocodiles, Necros, Trolls, Life is hard. Still no tantrumming though. I guess this means I better just deconstruct the bed and lock him up. Then I'll leave him in a room with a few of the still armed thieves, and let them solve my problem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25771 on: September 28, 2012, 04:43:47 pm »

Only if the initial bite torn the skin. Shaking damage won't tranfer it, nor will brusing. Torn muscle or fat though pretty much means get him treated, isolated, and out quick.

That would be some use for the 'Disease resistance', the more you are bitten and not infected the stronger it becomes before you can only infect yourself with drinking their blood.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25772 on: September 28, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »

I've broken my mod somehow, so pissed, so I'm going to get smashed and play a round of Drunk Fortress, cause why not.

Things of notes before my game went retarded:

Now have a save where I embarked on a cave about three tiles from a necro tower.  Not evil biome though, sadly.  It and Deephail are my only working mod games right now.  Anyways, the only things that have popped out of the cave are some naked mole dogs, and they've done nothing more than cause some job interruptions.  I'm more worried about the half-page of alligators in the stream.  Well, at least it wasn't a giant sponge like the embark before that.

Still trying to track down an error somewhere that results in genomes occasionally liking "unknown plants" and having unidentified "liquid" in the creature extract embark and trade lists.  No clue what's causing it, though I won't be finding out soon.  Grrr.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25773 on: September 28, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »

And now the vampire king is dead at the hands of our fortress' hammerer, finally paying for his heinous crimes...the dwarves of The Even Metal are free for the first time in centuries. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25774 on: September 28, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »

And now the vampire king is dead at the hands of our fortress' hammerer, finally paying for his heinous crimes...the dwarves of The Even Metal are free for the first time in centuries. 

And then you realize well shit, we can't get a good replacement either because of the messed up nobility succession thing.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25775 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »

Still trying to track down an error somewhere that results in genomes occasionally liking "unknown plants" and having unidentified "liquid" in the creature extract embark and trade lists.  No clue what's causing it, though I won't be finding out soon.  Grrr.

I think this is caused by still having plants that have been removed from the game in the "likeable" list.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25776 on: September 28, 2012, 05:38:30 pm »

the unknown liquid is usually something from a shellfish right?

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
SAVE SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
« Reply #25777 on: September 28, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »

ARG, breaching this aquifer in this prime looking site is making me lose my SANITY.

So this is a good biome site, with a one layer aquifer. For the month of granite (And a few days after.) everything is in insta-freeze extended winter conditions. This has caused some severe problems. At first I tried doing the dirty plug, but, if my dorfs didn't die or something horrible, because of the weather the plug would cause weird ice formations. Trying to mine this often resulted in cave-ins, lethal cave-ins. Okay, scratch the plug plan, time to FREEZE THROUGH. I've had two successful hole-digging attempts (I.E. no dwarfsicles). BUT THE WALL BUILDING BUG. I've had plenty of time and would of made it if not for, "Urist McPrimeexampleofdwarvensociety cancles build wall, standing on wall." No matter how relaxing the music I have playing is, I want to punch my screen.

Even if no explosives are present I always tell my dwarves To Not Blow The Righteous Fuck Up! Copyrighted by Mageziya and non-existent Co.

Overall, I've had about 20+ bloody attempts to breach that aquifer. Who wants to bet this site contains no iron, only nickle and some horrific jazz?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25778 on: September 29, 2012, 03:11:46 am »

Oruksmata. Year 6. Age of Myth

Found a spot with a sheer (almost) cliff face next to a jungle/marsh (I don't know but it has tons of palm trees and snakes). 

This time I'm going to do it right.

Granite.

Breaking earth.

I heard there was clay and sand here but looking around I see only sand. Lots of sand, and palm trees. But no beach. Or tiki bar.

Got everything under ground. Why aren't the farms going? It appears I brought along a "plant processor" instead of a farmer. Great.

Starting to dig down and what do you know, an aquifer. Supposed to have clay. Supposed to not have an aquifer. Alrighty then. Lets dig under that huge wall of rock instead of the jungle. It can't extend all the way to the edge of the map. Can it?

It doesn't. It appears I have one of those convenient, friendly, aquifers. And looking around it is a little quirky too. It seems to extend up a rock spire above the jungle. Interesting. I'll have to figure out how best to capitalize on this opportunity without flooding my entire fortress. Hatch covers will solve all my potential problems. I'll make six of them, just in case.

Beds. Check. Tables. Check. Chairs. Check. Brewery. What?

So my non-farming plant processor doesn't brew. I'm pretty sure brewing is similar to plant processing. So I give him the job. Urvad "Lifewheels" member of the Virginal Trade. Weak, quick to tire, bad spatial sense, poor focus, socially inept (hence a member of the virginal trade), clumsy, likes horse hoof and enormous corkscrews. I guess that's why they made him the expedition leader.

Slate.

Set up a wood furnace, a couple of smelters and a metalsmith's forge. Making charcoal, coke and bronze bars.

Miners Digging down. Bump. Cavern 1. Adjust. Bump. Cavern 2. Adjust. Bump. Cavern 3. Good gravy! Candy, and lots of it. I have to find out the facts about candy and determine how best to proceed....

Felsite.

Found the magma sea and four more candy canes. Not seeing coal or lignite anywhere. Guess I've got to char all of those trees in a wood furnace instead of with a magma and booze fueled wild fire. The booze is for the explosions, and there's nothing better to do with all the crappy hooch the pig ears bring each spring.

Found three good spots for magma pump stacks. Got an aquifer for limitless power. A huge rock wall. A jungle. A quiet jungle. Sand. 28 separate magnetite deposits I can see from the cliff face. Marble. Tons of trees. Five candy canes that I 've found, so far.

Gotta take a break and do a little planning.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25779 on: September 29, 2012, 03:22:13 am »

I just lost a dwarf to a failed mood, because I didn't have the right type of cloth.

Tip for everyone: If you have a secretive mood that demands cloth multiple times, make sure to get all three types of cloth.

Oh well, now I've got to wait for her to starve since she went berserk and I've got her locked in with a door.

Edit: As if she's a psychic, my vampire mayor requests an amulet. The berserk dwarf is in the craftsdwarf workshop. I could have sworn that I put someone else in the mayor's position. How the heck she got reelected while locked in a room is beyond me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:24:20 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #25780 on: September 29, 2012, 05:09:54 am »

I have a whole bunch of Goblins chained up in the dining hall from the last big siege, 25 in total.
I have a few less than that, now. Despite them being unarmed, sans clothing, and chained up; they are apparently causing trouble. Either that, or the settlement liaison is just an abusive git.

The settlement liaison punches The Goblin Lasher in the upper body with his left hand, bruising the fat.
The Goblin Lasher grabs The Settlement liaison by the upper front teeth with her left hand
The settlement liaison punches the Goblin Lasher in the right lower arm with his left hand, bruising the muscle
The Goblin Lasher throws the Settlement Liaison by the upper front teeth with the The Goblin Lasher's left hand

So, the liaison just randomly... punched her in the chest ??? 4 pages of combat logs later, she's been beated, shot full of bolts, and then shaken about by her head by a war-dog before finally dying.

Oh well, I have plenty more; and there are plenty more where they came from.
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25781 on: September 29, 2012, 09:33:17 am »

And then you realize well shit, we can't get a good replacement either because of the messed up nobility succession thing.

Yeah, sort of throws a wrench in the gigantic palace complex project. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25782 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:26 am »

So far, construction is going well. Lost another batch of creatures due to a lack of feeding them (caged immunity is gone, I guess). I set their pasture near the refuse drop now that my town borders have been established now with no way in but the front door.

I also learned the hard way that since the latest updates, wagons can no longer bypass traps, so I am going to have to re-establish how I layout my entryway, and commencing construction on the barracks, housing condo (which can grow ever-larger as time passes; from motel scale to tower scale), and get cracking on the infrastructure for my tower defenses. I'm also beginning work on my military, by filtering what dwarves are least useful to the fort as a whole, and getting them trained in combat. I have a metric butt-load of turtle shells, so I'm crafting as much armor as I possibly can while I have the time; I haven't made progress in taking advantage of the nearby volcano yet (had to ensure the safety of my town area) to craft better armor with yet (as well as crafting glass and earthenware items). But it's on the to-do list.

While my fort is relatively safe, I'm going to work on a sort of lever-drawbridge system that can act as a doorway system, while also lining my wagon path with a series of cage traps or weapon traps to at least reduce infiltration rates, and soften up vile forces when they show themselves. In the meantime, I'm going to make my front gate system a little fancier for the time being.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:26:16 am by Itnetlolor »

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25783 on: September 29, 2012, 11:06:15 am »

My Craftsdwarf just got possessed and took some bones and iron... WHY SODEL! WHY THE BONES OF THE PUPPY I SLAUGHTERED TO GIVE ANOTHER POSSESSED DWARF SOME LEATHER!?

EDIT: Well, it was Yak bone... AND dog bone and leather...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:11:37 am by DiezIrae »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25784 on: September 29, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »

Finally got my mod semi-working again, so I embarked on a triple evil biome (tundra, temperate ocean, and arctic ocean, all evil).

I have two colors of rain now - purple fetid slime and red horrid ooze.  My map is now technicolor.  The fetid ooze appears to cause fevers but nothing else.  The horrid ooze hasn't done anything to the group of emperor penguins wandering around in it yet, will watch them.  Haven't tried the horrid ooze in the other ocean biome yet, don't know if it's the same.

Time to see if some of my new tundra creatures are working, though!

Edit: Oops someone just froze to death.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:09:16 pm by Clover Magic »
Pages: 1 ... 1717 1718 [1719] 1720 1721 ... 3842