Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1712 1713 [1714] 1715 1716 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128159 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25695 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:58 am »

A kobold incursion into Waterspear was turned away without any dwarven influence.  The first one was detected at the West Gate and just ran away.  The second kobold entered the main gate and was then set upon by two hunting dogs.  The kobold was holding his own until the nearby giant rattlesnake left its pasture and joined in.  The kobold was bit and injected with venom twice; latched onto and shaken around multiple times by the snake and one of the dogs; and then simply mauled as the venom kicked in.  The third one was also set upon by dogs.  It hacked a rear paw off one, but was also wounded itself.  It passed out while trying to escape and was unconscious long enough for a dog to get in a number of head attacks and shakes to become fatal.  So now a hunting dog and a large snake have names.

A goblin snatcher found an odd tunnel to sneak down - was detected by birds there and then set upon by the entire guard contingent of the dwarven caravan that was there in the Trade Depot at the time.  Oops!   :o

Otherwise the past few seasons have been sort of slow.  Construction work on various projects and building up the various stockpiles.  More migrants as well and the fort's population has passed 170 along with obtaining status as a duchy.  (Have to be careful with the migrants - there is missing data regarding some of the civ's historical dwarves.  I think if that dwarf or dwarves get included in a migrant wave it triggers a crash.  So I save early each month before the expect migrant arrival is triggered.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25696 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:44 am »

I don't know what's happening. :'( My leading theories are, voodoo curse, and ancient Indian burial ground.

In the first year four dwarves, including one founder, were killed (well technically three, the other is a werechameleon) but fine I can deal with that. But now, spring of the second year and within a month I lose both of my legendary miners each of which was an embark dwarf! The first collapsed the floor while channeling a 5x5 ditch, which I have undertaken dozens of times before without incident, and pierced has lung. The second one, I still can't figure out what happened all I know was that he collapsed a tile (how is beyond me) and was killed on impact! I have never lost this many dwarves in the first 14 months!
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25697 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:50 am »

Made a successful invasion of hell itself in an alternate continum of my succession game. The demons come in pairs or threes and in a few cases were literally torn to shreds by my soldiers. Not sure if i want to build my monarch's diggs around the initial landing zone or a short walk away.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25698 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:35 am »

Made it to second year of testfort without incident.  Got the world's most useless artifacts - a wood scepter and a marble crown.  The wood scepter resulted in a legendary woodcrafter on a Rocky Wasteland map - not that I make wood crafts anyways, but on this map it's especially useless - and the crown was a possession and used only a single stone, so it's worth 4800 and menaces with marble spikes.

I have sliver barbs on my map, and the rat people brought sunberries, so I'm having some profitable farming.  Black clothes and sunshine for everyone!  Also fixed shearing feathers so we now have "chocobo feather cloth".  Kind of clunky, but eh.

Will probably finish out this year and then start implementing more changes and monsters.  Also a ton of new items and plants.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25699 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

Sadly, the save file for Cobaltseizures must have been corrupted somehow, had to scrap it. 

New fort, Frenzyseals, on a tundra with abundant iron/flux/clay and bituminous coal.  Completely isolated from outside civilization.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25700 on: September 24, 2012, 06:12:54 pm »

Got bored, new test fort, new changes, yay!  This time in the cold, Terrifying Arctic Ocean yeah buddy!  Walrus zombies straight off too!

Walled in, everything's okay...

"A cloud of profane gloom has drifted nearby!"

A flock of ravens found out what the gloom does for me.

Now there is a flock of profane gloom raven husks.

Yeeeaaah, we're not getting migrants, I think.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25701 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:57 pm »

Run away! Drop everything and run like crazy!
---------------------------------------------------------------
AnnualHate just had two rounds of gobbo ambushes, both nothing but xbow gobbos.  The amount of archers:gobbo invaders ratio has me rather worried we're facing a dedicated archer civilization.  Nontheless, we managed to hold off the attack in our main hall with the help of hiding behind a wall to ambush invaders as they get close.  Reksas, madame Badass, tore some more goblin anuses and generally wrecked anything that got past the weapon traps.

Unfortunately, we lost a named war dog who bravely held the door from the invaders while my 2 squad military tried to arrive in time to intercept the ambushers. It helped the Madame slaughter the kobold ambush a few seasons back. Hopefully the trained war drake we have guarding the the door will meet the expectations.

on the brightside, the gobbos slaughtered the dwarf merchants and their animals lingering on the map edge, so more goods for us! Even better, more goblin meat!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25702 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:16 pm »

The dead walk. Hide while you can!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!

Heh, good luck with that, Gobbo's. If you manage to survive, I'll have a nice shotgun ready for you.

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #25703 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

"Huh. Funny, coupla undead animals traipsing around. Well, I suppose we'd better seal off the fort and wait for the Necromancer to show his face."
*messenger arrives, wheezing so much his eyes bulge*
"Sir... the tombs... Invaders... they're... in the tombs."
"...oh no. Oh hell no."

Oh yes. *facepalm* The necromancer, along with most of the contents of my refuse pile; is busy bringing dead soldiers from their -- supposedly -- permanent retirement. For some of them, this is the second time it's happened. Silly me, thinking that putting them in a coffin stopped them from rising.

So I now have the former military tearing the current military to pieces; and all those pieces are... were killing the fort. Fantastic!  :D

...and off we go again.
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25704 on: September 24, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Galena, yr.453
First Previous Next

Dear journal, things have been steady. So much so that I've neglected to write a lot. That forgotten snake can be seen slithering through cracks in the rock, but it can't reach us. The zombie horde is growing. Tsukasa recovered from her magma crab wounds, but now our militia Ruby was injured when trying to cross our waterworks while we toggled the drain. Our magma forge is bustling, and once our militia has a bit more armor then we'll try to harvest some for target practice. Our next big engineering project is a large bunker in the cavern, and expanding the waterworks to that area as well. Wish me luck!

Spoiler: Overview (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:18:28 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25705 on: September 24, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »

Meanwhile, Loud Whispers hides in a bomb shelter muttering "Ravens... evil ravens..."
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25706 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:03 pm »

The dead walk. Hide while you can!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!

Heh, good luck with that, Gobbo's. If you manage to survive, I'll have a nice shotgun ready for you.
What do you know, they took care of the undead, mostly in part to the squad's lasher leaders (3/4 were led by one). 3 of the squads decided to run off, and the one that stuck around was decimated by a human caravan.

It all worked out in the end.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25707 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:06 pm »

More goblin ambushes, a squad of lashers and marksgoblins. We lost the recruit dagger user after the Madame decided she'd rather take a nap than help a newbie fight some gobbos.

I think I'm at that phase where there's nothing but cleanup between gobbo waves. With 17 functional dwarves, it's slow. There's miasma and vomit errywhere.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25708 on: September 25, 2012, 06:12:20 am »

Finally managed to breach the aquifer, after Urist McCarpenter got his head out of his ass and remembered that no, you can't stand on a wall if you want to build it.

The ambushes. The war grizzly and the militia made quick work of it, except that now most of my farm plots are covered in gobbo blood.

Hope you like your booze iron-rich, dorfs.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25709 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:19 pm »

Oh god, a wereantelope just ran into my fortress, killed a few pets, killed a trade animal, and bit one of the elven traders. Thankfully they're leaving.

I'd hate to be the elves when the trader changes.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 1712 1713 [1714] 1715 1716 ... 3842