Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1711 1712 [1713] 1714 1715 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128190 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25680 on: September 23, 2012, 01:22:04 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Hematite, yr.453
First Previous Next

I didn't see the surface, but Minami said it was terrible. The undead "attack your soul", "not just your body" she said. Elves and dwarves alike were slain. I'm not sad, I've diverted my attention with our new waterworks.

We got a new waterfall in our dining hall. It took so long because the waterfall doubles as a drowning trap, and we also used the system to bring a watering hole closer to the hospital. It's shaped like a vertical "<" where we can divert water to a drainage tunnel or into our fort. The drainage can also be blocked completed to make a drowning hall.

Spoiler: Migrating is hard (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Engineering is good (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:18:48 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Starkiller2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25681 on: September 23, 2012, 05:14:31 pm »

A dwarf in my fortress was possessed and very annoyingly stole some of my adamantite for a artifact. But the "artifact" was a adamantite mace worth 973,200!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25682 on: September 23, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »

Finally, evidence that half my map is evil showed up!  A cloud of wicked mist passed by.  Unfortunately nothing was outside to get caught in it, so I'm not sure what it does yet.  If it's husks/thralls I'm screwed.

The mist did make me finally get around to creating a safety burrow, though.  Gotta build bridges now.

Edit:  A wild camel wandered into a second mist cloud.  Apparently it causes numbness.  I can work with that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:42:07 pm by Clover Magic »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25683 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »

Finally, evidence that half my map is evil showed up!  A cloud of wicked mist passed by.  Unfortunately nothing was outside to get caught in it, so I'm not sure what it does yet.  If it's husks/thralls I'm screwed.

The mist did make me finally get around to creating a safety burrow, though.  Gotta build bridges now.

Edit:  A wild camel wandered into a second mist cloud.  Apparently it causes numbness.  I can work with that.
Observe that camel. Numbness often graduates to fatal paralysis.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25684 on: September 23, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »

Observe that camel. Numbness often graduates to fatal paralysis.

Naw, it eventually went away and the camel left the map unharmed.  So unless the effects are severely delayed, the mist only causes numbness for a while.

Kinda wimpy, but at least I don't have to worry about thralls or uncontrolled vomiting to death like in another fort.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25685 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »

A dwarf in my fortress was possessed and very annoyingly stole some of my adamantite for a artifact. But the "artifact" was a adamantite mace worth 973,200!
Convict him of a triple murder.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25686 on: September 23, 2012, 07:40:33 pm »

Aren't maces sharp-edged? I've heard that. Just a double-murder then.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #25687 on: September 23, 2012, 07:56:06 pm »

Maces only inflict blunt, and worse than hammers. Convict him of serial homicide.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25688 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »

Im making 3 by 3 bedrooms with a glass door, a wooden cabinate, a silver statue, and a bed, for everyone in my fort.

I just got a migrant wave of about 30 people.

Fuuuuuuuuu
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25689 on: September 23, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »

Maces are blunt, morningstars are edge.

Starkiller2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25690 on: September 23, 2012, 08:22:27 pm »

Maces are blunt, morningstars are edge.

Wait so does that mean that mace will be totally useless because adamantite is so light? *facepalm*

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25691 on: September 23, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »

Give it to a strong enough dwarf and they can still pop skulls with it. I've seen screens of that. Guess it's kinda like putting enough force behind a brick will make it fly.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25692 on: September 23, 2012, 08:42:08 pm »

Give it to a strong enough dwarf and they can still pop skulls with it. I've seen screens of that. Guess it's kinda like putting enough force behind a brick will make it fly.
Note: Bricks are great for killing with. Its essentially killing people with a wiffle bat. Its possible, But its awfully hilarious.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25693 on: September 23, 2012, 09:13:01 pm »

So, my map gets invaded by a pack of beak dogs. I don't even notice until one of my hunters bleeds to death. Then the beak dogs just hang around the corpse for a while and wait for random dwarves to try and pick it up. One of these gets knocked into a pool, and the beak dog doing the knocking follows him in and tears off the guy's hand and just starts mauling him under the water.

Meanwhile, my legendary Ranger shows up and begins filling the other beak dogs full of bolts. This is great, except that as he passes by the pool, the completely unnoticed submerged beak dog charges out and rips into him from behind, giving the rest the chance to pile on and tear him apart.

I imagine his last words were "Clever girl..."
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25694 on: September 23, 2012, 09:19:01 pm »

The forge is what feeds a fortress, the anvil a fortress in and of itself. A young fortress of a single year, Ularezum, has made its first artifact symbolizing this relationship, called "Ganadegom". It is a bronze anvil, encircled with bronze and menacing with spikes of milk quartz.

On the item in bloodstone is an image of Cave wheat. The food of the fortress is metal, the life is the anvil. Ganadegom is the first of hopefully many in the fortress, a symbol of great things to come.

Journal entry of a soldier of the Abyssal Handles

I remember the first "mission" we went on. Some kind of falcon got stuck in our fort and kept scaring off everyone who got near the food. Back then it was just me and the commander, and even without armament we managed to rip the poor thing to pieces. Still, can't have birds in your booze.

For a while it was all just training and hauling rocks. We had a training room right next to a meeting room which everyone packed into because of all the nice engravings, even though no one used the archery range. I don't think we've had a legitimate lesson on anything, but it's not like we really know what in Armok's name we're doing.

Oh, there was one Kobold thief that decided to try and get in when the Elves were trading. One of the haulers saw him, and the Commander took all of two seconds to chop the kobold's arm off and haul it's carcass to the dump. Our value steadily rises, however, and I wouldn't doubt the elves telling of our wonders to any goblin who'd listen. I fear the cage traps we have set up will not be enough to deter an invasion, but hopefully our -silver short sword- and other arms will be enough to hold them at bay.

Journal of one of the Original 7

Life is nice here, even though we still don't have a dining hall. Nonetheless, we recently started installing cabinets in people's rooms, and soon a bookkeeper will be appointed. The fort's really coming along for only 1 year, and no one's even been injured yet. Booze production was limited to one crop for a long time, but now we've switched to three kinds of crops in seasonal rotation, so all is well again. I'm also glad the bitchy elves didn't send a loudmouth to talk about trees, like I have nothing better to do. In any case, with an artifact anvil, a great party room, and general happiness all around I'd say we're doing just fine.

OOC UPDATE

HOLY SHIT ROUGE KOBOLD ARM, AS SOON AS HUMAN CARAVAN APPEARS
I knew the humans were bastards, being the only fuckers with a tower, but come on, I'm halfway across the world! Glad I didn't kill anything big and angry!

I think I killed it, I don't even know what happened to the partial skeleton. I traded the arm away to the human caravan for lulz.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:10:40 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 1711 1712 [1713] 1714 1715 ... 3842