Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1710 1711 [1712] 1713 1714 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128399 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25665 on: September 22, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »

Alright, after a wee hiatus, I am back. Nothing is more frustrating than losing a fort that wasn't lost via the game it self. (Not FPS death, just the game would crash now matter how many times I tried to load it.)

Genned a 1050 year old world. Accoring to the Generator, this world is in a Golden Age, yes, peace and tranquility abound, with all 4 races present. Found a new suitable Tundra site, to fill the hole the was the lost tundra site I lost. Multiple shallow and deep metals. No aquifer either; Freezing through a 3 layer aquifer is the most frustrating thing you can ever imagine. (Save scum is basically required, digging down one tile at a time, etc.). This site also has an Arctic Ocean at the south east corner.

Just embarked, but will wait a bit before I truly start.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25666 on: September 22, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »

More mod testing, just embarked and...HOLY SHIT!

Everything's on fire!!
This sounds like a fun mod.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GalaxyGuy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25667 on: September 22, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »

Fuck yeah! I finally managed to dig a somewhat secure settlement in a Terrifying Tundra for the first time. The new zombies are quite... Menacing.
A medium-sized creature, prone to great ambition.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25668 on: September 22, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

MOAR MIGRANTS GRAAAH!! MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25669 on: September 22, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »

Pop cap?
Seal off the entrance?
magma airlock?
FB captive?
Titan captive?
Gobbo areana?
Kitten swarm?
Keas?
Giant Keas?
Drowning airlock?
Keas?
Operation Fuck the World reborn?
Keas?
Magma?
Lava?
Keas?

The solutions to this problem are ENDLESS.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25670 on: September 22, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »

Started up on a new fort with pre-thought architecture that doesnt focus on efficiency, using the central staircase design and basing myself on a rank/safety system, the king being at the bottom, the soldiers, nobles, and workers on top (for extra !!FUN!!).
Those are only the designations, as I am still building the Pre-fort shack.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25671 on: September 22, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »

Pop cap?
Seal off the entrance?
magma airlock?
FB captive?
Titan captive?
Gobbo areana?
Kitten swarm?
Keas?
Giant Keas?
Drowning airlock?
Keas?
Keas?
Magma?
Lava?
Keas?

The magma to kea ratio here is quite deprsssing. Besides, you didn't even mention crundles.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25672 on: September 22, 2012, 09:05:46 pm »

I dislike the crundle, but I do not hate him. They make great animal trainer practice and when tamed are rediculously agressive to enemy creatures.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25673 on: September 22, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »

Pop cap?
Seal off the entrance?
magma airlock?
FB captive?
Titan captive?
Gobbo areana?
Kitten swarm?
Keas?
Giant Keas?
Drowning airlock?
Keas?
Keas?
Magma?
Lava?
Keas?

The magma to kea ratio here is quite deprsssing. Besides, you didn't even mention crundles.
How could I have been so foolish! LIQUID KEAS are the answer! Now to make lethal liquid Keas.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25674 on: September 22, 2012, 11:11:28 pm »

Urnprophet is still working on two major projects: cleaning up the way we deal with dead (and undead), and building lots of stuff out of wood, with specific wood blocks in specific areas.

For cleaning up the dead, I'm slowly removing coffins and throwing them down the garbage pit. At the bottom of the garbage pit is currently a refuse zone, so most things just rot away pretty quickly, but coffins probably won't, sadly. I'll have to build a trash atomizer sometime soon-ish. What will I do with all the undead parts? thrown them down the shoot as well. Then I only build memorial stones as ghosts appear. Not just any memorials stones though - high quality stones made only of granite by a master stoneworker. Heck yeah. But there are a lot of body parts, and a lot of dead dwarves, and the livings ones are pretty lazy. It takes a long time.

Wood block floors is my other project. Wood blocks come 1 block per log, which is far less than stone blocks go for. They are also a much more scarce resource, when considering that you want a specific type of wood. Chestnut floors for the level holding both the memorial stones and the dining room; Oak wood for all sheilds and above-ground structure; ashen blocks for the above ground flooring, and alder blocks for the temporary refuse room (where corpses and craftable bones go). Because of the access to specific types of wood being limited, this is also taking a very long time.

On the bright side of that though, I have a lot of charcoal. That's used to melt a lot of things, which in turn are going to turn into better stuff for my military. Masterwork steel war hammers encrusted with billon and nickel might soon be in our future. All copper, silver, and gold though is going toward coins. Yes, I know it's aesthetic, but damn it we need a treasury. Plus it would be fun to pay merchants using entirely minted coins. Double plus is that we get to see what sorts of coins we make. We currently have thousands of gold coins with various images reflecting our civilization and the year they were created.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25675 on: September 22, 2012, 11:35:03 pm »

So, I've returned to AnnualHate, despite the screwy dwarf merchants and lack of migrant waves.  I've set up a single squad military with our legionnaire dwarf to train up as our mithril clad champion daggeruser to honor the group title of "The Daggers of Quaking."

He managed to repel a kobold ambush with the help of our two war dogs, who also earned titles.

the fort's still growing slow, due to lack of migrants.

We're at 20 or so dwarves, and we just had our first goblin ambush with four marksgoblins attacking our dwarf caravan. Hoo boy, goblins already.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25676 on: September 23, 2012, 02:19:40 am »

First goblin siege arrived at Waterspear following the human trade caravan.  The "vile force of darkness" was a single squad of archers led by a lasher riding a giant rat.  They were allowed free passage into the western outer works and into the West Gate of the Outer Bailey.  Their only encountered obstruction was a single weapon trap - which wounded two archers and killed a third (go go gadget iron spiked balls!)

However, upon entering the Outer Bailey they encountered more traps, ditches blocking the direct path to the Main Gate, and a crossbow crossfire from two marksdwarf squads behind fortifications.   Things went rapidly downhill for the goblin attack from there.  Their leader was killed by the only shot taken by an elite marksdwarf.  And some melee dwarves sortied out to kill the wounded and track down a few stragglers.  No goblin survivors - just corpses for the dump and copper armor for the smelters.  Only fortress casualty was an aggressive guard dog that got hit by an arrow.

The bridge over the river was completed and the walls extending south are also beyond the river as well and ending in a gate near the south boundary of the county; this effectively bisects the embark south of the fortress walls except for a few tiles at the south border (and using the river when it is frozen.)

Construction work on the checkerboard and other items in the depths continues.   The magma cart shuttle is having issues due to an accident - now there are mine carts stuck in the magma pool blocking the track.   >:(
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25677 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:04 am »

So, I just realized the veritable goldmine a legendary cook is.  I just bought a load of dragon raptors, dire wolves, and drakes from the elves for a few pots of *prepared meals*. One of the pots was worth over 10,000 urists total.

Even better is the fact that we're rolling in meat and butcherable animals, the prime ingredients for the prepared meals. The way Masterwork DF works, I'm fairly certain the slain kobolds and goblins are butchered. Mmmm, *goblin roasts* are probably just what the elves ordered!

Also, Reksas GeneralScourged the Disappearance of Whips, our resident one-dwarf-army badass is really enjoying tearing goblin marksmen new anuses with her large meteoric dagger. She isn't even legendary yet, yet she butchered a whole ambush squad of marksgoblins without a scratch.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25678 on: September 23, 2012, 11:47:19 am »

So this test fort is going much better than the last one (so much fire oh god).  We're dug in and the most menacing wildlife we've seen so far is some coyotes.  We have eyeball and wormy tendril grass though, that's cool.  And glumprongs.  We're now in summer and doing well.

Apparently it's going a little too well and the genomes are bored, because when I ordered them to engrave their dining room, there are no less than three pictures of the expedition leader surrounded by roaches and looking terrified.  Apparently there's nothing else worth engraving.  One of them is even by herself, and another by her lover.

However, I discovered she actually likes flies, because there are two more engravings of her and flies, including one where she is embracing a fly.  I think that's the first time I've had anyone like flies.

The rest of the engravings are a bunch of plants mainly.  I can't help but wonder why they want to carve large roaches and flies all over their dining room, though.  I foresee a lot of insect-related engravings in this fort.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25679 on: September 23, 2012, 11:52:50 am »

Fuck. Killed off by the Shinto goddess of death in five bloody months.
Screaming, dying, insanity, tantrum spirals. My summons are all dead or too wounded to fight. Except Amaterasu, who I've pastured inside the last safe room to heal the remaining people, but without food, I'm dead in the next couple of months or so.

Meanwhile the migrants just arrived, and proceeded to die when they were horribly wounded by the aformentioned goddess of death, who then proceeded to attempt to rampage through my fort to the last safe area. She broke down the door, killed nearly everyone, engaged in a fight with Amaterasu, killed her, killed my last couple of dorfs, and ended my fort.

And that's all because I forgot a small attack trigger tag wasn't set right. >:| Did I mention this was only a test fort like the one above with a different mod?
Pages: 1 ... 1710 1711 [1712] 1713 1714 ... 3842