Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1705 1706 [1707] 1708 1709 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128846 times)

Kaist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • the Solivagant
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25590 on: September 17, 2012, 03:02:34 am »

Just started a new fortress- I named it Mistborn. :P It's in my first-ever freezing biome, with a volcano that for some reason doesn't have its magma.  :-\ It's a military fort- the military barracks are the center, while workshops and bedrooms will branch out of the center. I'm going to have at least three dorfs for each industry once I gain migrants. I don't know if this'll work, but well.. losing is Fun!
Kick reason to the curb and do the impossible!

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25591 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:15 am »

Two (small) ambushes happened as I was renovating the fortress and was full open due to a human caravan coming (due to an error in construction, it turns out my trade depot isn't accessible to caravans despite always lowered bridges -.- while I was building another bridge to rectify it first goblin inside my defenses!

Caught one in a cage trap, who's gonna join his friend the female maceman in the cages :D

Still gotta figure what to do with them.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25592 on: September 17, 2012, 03:39:30 am »

"Madoc is throwing a tantrum."
"The spinning table hits the bystander in the skull, shattering the skull and jamming the skull through the brain, tearing the brain."
 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ .....................................................................................┻━┻☆(>。≪)

That is some hardcore table flipping. Weaponise his talent!
I had the same, though my dorf threw platinum doors. Boom! Headshot. And I liked this mayors so much, with his affinity to backpacks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:51:47 am by omg_scout »

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25593 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:10 am »

Litast Ilidcatten, bookkeeper cancels Drink: Unconscious.
Litast Ilidcatten has been found dead

My bookkeeper just died, killed by the captain of the guard.
Can't figure out how or why, though. I just checked the report and it has them fighting... but no tantrums, and it certainly wasn't a sparring session as the poor clerk wasn't in the militias.

How. Did. This. Happen.

I just hope he doesn't rise up as a murderous ghost. It'd suck, I already have two of those and no rocks to make slabs.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25594 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:49 am »

Can't figure out how or why, though. I just checked the report and it has them fighting... but no tantrums, and it certainly wasn't a sparring session as the poor clerk wasn't in the militias.

How. Did. This. Happen.

I just hope he doesn't rise up as a murderous ghost. It'd suck, I already have two of those and no rocks to make slabs.
Check the Justice screen.

My guard captain at Swampconstructs bashed some poor bastard's skull in for failing a mandate. The "criminal" wasn't even a craftsdwarf.  :o
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25595 on: September 17, 2012, 04:24:39 am »

How. Did. This. Happen.

Check the Justice screen.

My guard captain at Swampconstructs bashed some poor bastard's skull in for failing a mandate. The "criminal" wasn't even a craftsdwarf.  :o
But I don't have a sheriff!

Wait, they actually have started justice without my consent.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

now I actually have to take the mayor's mandates seriously >.< AND I DON'T HAVE STONE FOR THE SLABS, ELSE I'D HAVE APPEASED THE GHOSTS ALREADY.

darn.

Gotta brush up on the double-slit method.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25596 on: September 17, 2012, 05:11:00 am »

Curse my love of my glacial survivors. I went and modded feathers to be useable as shell, which in and of itself also makes the feathers we get from killing elk birds useful as decorations and even, if I want to awkwardly do so, make feather armor, which is just hilarious.

Plus My medical staff is less than stellar in thier promptness anyway and since I'm trying to build the bank to end all banks, I can't have my workforce beating the shit out of itself because a kid lost his shit. But I assigned him a coffin ahead of time just in case.

EDIT: Got something useful from the littleshit, "Whisperchain The Dawn of Fame!" An Elkbird Feather chain. How the hell do you make a viable chain out of feathers?

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25597 on: September 17, 2012, 05:42:14 am »

Uh, that's odd. My master bonecarver just churned out this thing

The Abbey of Grooves being my civ... whose name,now that I think of it, sounds too elfish for my tastes...

Unfortunatly, in the civilisation page, Unib McNecromancerQueen isn't there ;.; and here I was hoping to get her to raise random dead for me.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25598 on: September 17, 2012, 08:57:42 am »

Sadly, despite the eventual valiant half-year solo effort by the Judge 'Dredd' Namedpages the Walled Theater, Machineworks did not survive its second year. :( Eventually, he went mad from the desolation and the recent death of his beloved wife, attacking everything in sight in a berserker rage.

P.S.
You know what's worse than a horde of Giant Thrips?
A horde of fucking undead Giant Thrips, that's what!
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25599 on: September 17, 2012, 10:02:40 am »

Crystalspires is progressing as planned.  The giant lakeside open-air dining area is being paved as we speak and its water features are carved and waiting to be smoothed.  First autumn is here, more migrants will be welcome.  More miners/masons/engravers, yes.

Cliffside road and depot are also under progression - depot area is finished, with a silver Depot and paved with microcline and marble blocks.  It's actually a little gazebo, it's nice.  The road will be constructed once I decide what to pave it in.  Something extravagant?  More white stone that will be the base of the fort?  Decisions, decisions.

Building everything out of blocks.  So many blocks.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25600 on: September 17, 2012, 11:04:29 am »

Basementattic seems to be having a small issue with kobold thieves. Not ones coming in through the front entrance, over the magma doorstop, but ones inside the massive underground tree farm.

There are no other entrances other than the 1x1 stairwell, that leads directly into the military barracks, which is full of legendary spear/hammer dwarves. Either the kobolds are lucky, and sneaking past the entire military, or are spawning inside somehow.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25601 on: September 17, 2012, 11:13:08 am »

Basementattic seems to be having a small issue with kobold thieves. Not ones coming in through the front entrance, over the magma doorstop, but ones inside the massive underground tree farm.

There are no other entrances other than the 1x1 stairwell, that leads directly into the military barracks, which is full of legendary spear/hammer dwarves. Either the kobolds are lucky, and sneaking past the entire military, or are spawning inside somehow.
Your military dwarves are, as they say, failing their spot checks badly.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25602 on: September 17, 2012, 11:17:14 am »

The Virtuous Paper has sent forth an expedition into the nearby untamed wilds to set up a new place to dump its excess people. Unfortunately, nearby is the terrible visage of a necromantic tower, so soldiers will be desperately needed here, nevermind the presence of the terrible monsters here, ranging from the humble giant ant to the roving red striped wasp swarms.

While the land promises plentiful wood, clean water, and good crop yields, it is those nearby that fill the expedition, The Syrup of Outrage, with fear and worry. But only time will tell if this place, dubbed Hallstrike, will weather the coming horrors of nature, war, and the dwarves' own natural idiocy.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25603 on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »

A Sneaking enemy will only be discovered if it passes by a normal dwarf within the 3x3 cube (with the Dwarf at the centre) :

Observer

I heard that huntung dogs get a 5x5x5 check radius "keen sense of smell" ?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25604 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:28 pm »

A Sneaking enemy will only be discovered if it passes by a normal dwarf within the 3x3 cube (with the Dwarf at the centre) :

Well, if they can detect in a 3x3 cube, kobolds must be pretty damned sneaky. Sure the dwarves move around, but I'm pretty sure the whole area there is at some point covered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone there is sparring constantly, and crowded into that little corridor. That staircase is the only access point into the fort, so I guess these kobolds are legendary sneakers.

And construction on the obsidian above ground fortress has begun - I plan on using Bodiam Castle (also known as the Swamp King castle) in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Hopefully my obsidian farm is large enough to support this project.

Minotaur showed up, and this happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Construction continues.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:59:26 pm by Lich180 »
Pages: 1 ... 1705 1706 [1707] 1708 1709 ... 3842