Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1704 1705 [1706] 1707 1708 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128367 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25575 on: September 16, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »

The Bay12 Forum-goer has begun a mysterious construction!

Sweet, totally found mountainous cliffside right up against a lake.  There's about 5 or more zlevels on the sheer side.  Perfect for what I'm planning!

The only thing that is not perfect is that a.) There are no trees because it's Rocky Wasteland + Mountain + Lake biome, and b.) I'm surrounded by no less than three necromancer towers and the goblins are not much farther off.  Oh well, needs some blood paint anyways, it's all brown.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25576 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »

Revisiting an old (a few weeks) fort and revamping the obsidian farm. Planning on harvesting enough to create an above ground complex with the Magma Doorstop guarding the front entrance.

Gotta figure out my design for the obsidian farm first.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25577 on: September 16, 2012, 08:13:29 pm »

A peasant outside is minding his own business, when suddenly goblins. He gets killed, quite obviously.
"No problem, I'll send my military and make a memorial for him" I thought to myself. I send my two badass axe lords, and they kill ze goblins.
Two or three months later, a Weaver is minding his own business, when suddenly moar goblins. Also gets killed.
I send my military, and tell my manager to make an order to make two slabs (I forgot to make one when the peasant died). Goblins die again.
Pretty much all my dwarves were unhappy at this point, and I just noticed that the two slabs weren't made, because of a lazy break-taking bastard, when somebody throws a tantrum. This guy ends up killing somebody.
Half of my fort starts tantruming, and a few dwarves go berserk, killing about 22 dwarves. Some others go stark raving mad, and about 3 or 4 go melancholy.
My carpenter, who is wielding a copper axe, goes berserk and ends up killing 7 dwarves before my military takes care of things.
My meeting area is completely choked with miasma, since my refuse stockpiles are full.
At this point, I undergo Operation CAVES (Call All Vicious Enemy Spiders), and tell my miner, who hasn't tantrumed by a miracle of some sort. He digs to the first cavern layer, and starts exploring. Some of the non-tantruming dwarves go and collect GCS webs for some reason.
Eventually, a GCS comes out, shooting webs like no tomorrow. He kills a few dwarves, then my two military axe lords find him. They end up killing the GCS without getting injured or webbed.
A Giant Toad comes out of the caverns, killing enough dwarves to get named...and my axe lords kill him.
My entire fortress is completely covered in miasma by this point, and there's 28 dwarves, from 62. Eventually, all the dwarves turn melancholy and stark raving mad, except for my axe lords. I get bored, and abandon the fortress.

In other words, the best experience of my life.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25578 on: September 16, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »

A peasant outside is minding his own business, when suddenly goblins. He gets killed, quite obviously.
"No problem, I'll send my military and make a memorial for him" I thought to myself. I send my two badass axe lords, and they kill ze goblins.
Two or three months later, a Weaver is minding his own business, when suddenly moar goblins. Also gets killed.
I send my military, and tell my manager to make an order to make two slabs (I forgot to make one when the peasant died). Goblins die again.
Pretty much all my dwarves were unhappy at this point, and I just noticed that the two slabs weren't made, because of a lazy break-taking bastard, when somebody throws a tantrum. This guy ends up killing somebody.
Half of my fort starts tantruming, and a few dwarves go berserk, killing about 22 dwarves. Some others go stark raving mad, and about 3 or 4 go melancholy.
My carpenter, who is wielding a copper axe, goes berserk and ends up killing 7 dwarves before my military takes care of things.
My meeting area is completely choked with miasma, since my refuse stockpiles are full.
At this point, I undergo Operation CAVES (Call All Vicious Enemy Spiders), and tell my miner, who hasn't tantrumed by a miracle of some sort. He digs to the first cavern layer, and starts exploring. Some of the non-tantruming dwarves go and collect GCS webs for some reason.
Eventually, a GCS comes out, shooting webs like no tomorrow. He kills a few dwarves, then my two military axe lords find him. They end up killing the GCS without getting injured or webbed.
A Giant Toad comes out of the caverns, killing enough dwarves to get named...and my axe lords kill him.
My entire fortress is completely covered in miasma by this point, and there's 28 dwarves, from 62. Eventually, all the dwarves turn melancholy and stark raving mad, except for my axe lords. I get bored, and abandon the fortress.

I don't understand, why would you abandon?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25579 on: September 16, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »

Eventually, all the dwarves turn melancholy and stark raving mad, except for my axe lords
I only had two axe lords, and those two insanities are boring.
And my military wasn't going to tantrum anytime soon, since they were fine and content, respectively.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25580 on: September 16, 2012, 09:04:38 pm »

Eventually, all the dwarves turn melancholy and stark raving mad, except for my axe lords
And my military wasn't going to tantrum anytime soon, since they were fine and content, respectively.
I'm still unclear. You could have put the military into civilian professions, and rebuilt. Migrants could have come.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25581 on: September 16, 2012, 09:10:52 pm »

I'm still unclear. You could have put the military into civilian professions, and rebuilt. Migrants could have come.
You know, a tantrum spiral is not easy to get rid of, especially when there's the problem of ghosts.
Also, it's much more entertaining to just let the fortress be destroyed.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25582 on: September 16, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »

For the brutish little fuck they are, one has to admire the strategic sense of the goblins.
They always seem to storm in hot on the heels of the human caravan, obviously in an attempot to seize their goods and sabotage my relations with the one useful non-dwarven trading partner I have. So far I've got lucky, so no dead caravans yet.

In other news, there's an evil, web-slinging giant monkey in the caverns. His MO is spamming webs all over everything and then biting the heads off the helpless dorfs. He's fortced me to abandon the caverns until I can set up a cave-in trap and lure him under it.

Also, the FPS is shot to all Hell due to the copious amounts of junk lying around, the legion of war dogs milling about everywhere, and my fancy artificial waterfall (now with less dingin-room-flooding ‼Fun‼).

All things considered, I think I'll leave Swampconstruct on hold as a potential megaproject platform for later, go back to the default graphics and gen a new world.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25583 on: September 16, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »

Just had a military dwarf kill his wife, who at the time was in a berserk rage attacking their baby. Here's his thoughts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had all the things she needed for her strange mood, but apparently she needed specific types I didn't have or something. I worked really hard to get her what she needed, but she went insane anyway.

But seriously. He killed his wife and doomed his baby and he's ecstatic. It's a wonder what legendary food and drink can do.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:53:43 pm by Ki11aGhost »

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25584 on: September 16, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »

"Madoc is throwing a tantrum."
"The spinning table hits the bystander in the skull, shattering the skull and jamming the skull through the brain, tearing the brain."
 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ .....................................................................................┻━┻☆(>。≪)

Permission to sig?
Sure, go ahead.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25585 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:13 am »

Kid went funny in the head (secretive,) and according to DFHack, seeks to become a legendary bone carver. We have everything she needs.

Except shells. We have a lone stack of shell from the noseless horse that Meng bludgeoned to death before, but that's it.

This kid's dead. Shame too, she's 11.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25586 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:22 am »

convicted my mayor of murder. She didn't eat or drink even though she had plenty of each next to her chain. I even gave her a bed after a while. No, she wasn't a vampire either, as she later died of thirst. I feel a big guilty...

Also I'm expanding my wood block floors, and I'm currently overhauling my corpse problem. How? by taking corpses out of coffins, throwing away both, and making tombs on top of chesnut block floors as they become ghosts, if they become ghosts. The ghost ratio is lower than I thought it would be.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25587 on: September 17, 2012, 01:11:12 am »

So it came to pass that the Planet of Winds was forged on Armok's infinite anvil. And Armok beheld the Planet of Winds, and decided it was ‼Fun‼, at least for a while. Thus, it was allowed to exist and flourish, at least for a while...

There comes a time in every Mountainhome when there are just too many dwarves wandering, crawling, hobbling and prancing about (but mostly crawling all over each other) within the astute, vomit-strewn halls and corridors. Thus, a new settlement becomes a necessity, to dump all the useless dabbling cheese makers to die horrible deaths in the ass end of nowhere build a home for yet another thriving community of sturdy peasant-folk, for the glory of all dwarvenkind.

So, the seven of us were kicked out evicted sent forth from the Mountainhomes, to build a glorious Dwarven Fortress by the name of Machineworks, in a lovely little place known as the Woods of Suicide. With such an auspicious name, how could anything possibly go wrong?

After a long trek across the countryside (which was nice), we came at last to the edge of the Woods of Suicide, the chosen site of our future fortress. Machineworkgs was nothing like the countryside: the pants was dead and the ground was all bloody and messy from headcr... Oops, sorry, I seem to have segued into a different epic there. Anyway, most of the site turns out to be dead glumprongs and wormy tendrils, with a patch of normal vegetation at the southeast corner. Also, it's bloody scorching out here, and water is nowhere to be found.

First order of business, dig in. Our miners grab their picks and set about clearing a promising-looking sandy ridge of slopes, limiting access to our enemies. They then punch a steep downward passage into the side of the hill. After four or five layers of soil, they report hitting slate and microcline, and turn the dig into a horizontal tunnel, followed by barracks and a ramp down to the area to house our future trade depot. The rest of us make busy with cutting down trees and gathering plants from one of the more wholesome areas of the site.

Eventually, our woodcutters come across something rather disturbing: even when it was alive, it was some kind of horrifying giant snail. Now, it's all that and an unholy mockery of life, oozing viscera and stinking of a rotting carcass. We have little choice but try to take it down before it kills us all, so we swarm at it with wood-cutting axes and miners' picks. In the end, one of our number is dead, his skull stepped on pushed in by the monster, and another in critical condition, passing in and out of consciousness in the blistering heat outside. Fortunately, the snail-corpse-monster-thing also seems to have stopped twitching, at least for now. I think it fell on the non-evil part of the map, so there's a faint hope it will stay that way.

What kind of unholy blight on the landscape is this? Who would think embarking upon the Woods of Suicide would turn out to be a literal suicide?

...To Be Continued?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:45:39 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25588 on: September 17, 2012, 01:29:56 am »

Winter is upon Waterspear.  A dozen migrants turned up in the early autumn.  Scanned the labors and it looked pretty plain.  Looked at the military training and it was half veterans!  Legendary mace lord, Legendary Hammerlord, plus three more hammer dwarves at Level 7 or so.  Geared them up and sent them to the Keep barracks.  Noted soon afterwards that I had more sparring reports.   :D

Bird detectors picked up intruders in the Outer Bailey entrances.  Goblin thief corpse there, and another one lying by the west gate wondering what had hit it -- four broken limbs, multiple bruised internal organs, and also busted ribs courtesy of a triple spiked ball trap.  While it was expiring a third thief was spotted. 

And then a lasher unit emerged from ambush and entered as well.  They discovered why the Outer Bailey is nicknamed "the Kill Box".  The gates were closed on them while a few spiked ball traps softened them up.  And then melee dwarves emerged while an elite marksdwarf started sniping away with steel bolts.  A few trainee sword dwarves who were passing by joined in as well.  The lashers got chased around a bit and slaughtered.  The marksdwarf got credit for three kills, an axe dwarf got four, and one of the trainees got his first kill.  The haulers then got to do the clean-up work while the fighters grabbed a drink and headed back to the barracks.

The Keep's 2nd floor was finally completed (which roofs in the 1st level).  Now it needs a roof, and some work still to do on the Observation Tower. 

The food supply got a nice boost when a Forgotten Beast (some giant marmot with external ribs) got spiked and then hauled upstairs and butchered.  Soap has been manufactured as well.  The second cavern spike complex is almost complete so that the stalking of a noseless walrus that is swimming around down there can begin.

(Note: I don't worry about cave-in traps with FBs.  They will hunt for doors to destroy - so I build small complexes.  Airlock with bridges to seal both ends with levers on the fortress side.  In the "airlock" are some cells that can also be sealed by a bridge via a lever.  Place a nice stone door in the far end of the cell.  And put upright spear/spike traps on a lever in the other two tiles of the cell.  Open cavern-side or airlock and wait.  When FB enters the cell to destroy the door, seal it in and spike it.  If it contaminates the cell with deadly blood or dust, consider just leaving it there.  If it destroys the door and then avoids the spikes by moving into the former door location, consider just leaving it there.  If you spike it down successfully then you can seal the cavern-side, open the cell and the fortress-side and dispose of the body.  The whole set-up can be excavated from the fortress-side and then connected by a miner to the cavern once everything is hooked up to the levers.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25589 on: September 17, 2012, 01:36:52 am »

A few stuck wagons and the associated merchants finally made it out. I attempted to unstick them by cutting trees and mining ramps where they were stuck in walls, but success was mixed at best. The contents of the scuttled wagons has all been hauled deep into the fortress.

I've had quite a few thieves show up, and there's currently a battle occurring in my trade depot. It was a pretty straightforward vermin-control operation until the giant war jaguar and the giant cave spider I had pastured nearby crashed through the door. A thief chipped the spider's chitin, but it's otherwise unhurt. It's been shaking a thief around, but it's unable to actually deliver a killing blow, and the webs it's spewing all over have been interfering with the militia. The giant war jaguar has been a little more effective: the phantom slippy pony it's busy mauling is already fatally wounded.

The giant jaguar earned itself the name Iskrakamil, and Skirt Flutestreams (g2u FIGHTER) is validating my initial assessment of him. I noticed him when, as a baby still being toted around by his mother, he struck out at a foe that was pursuing them. He recently reached adulthood, but hasn't yet been inducted into the military as he lacks a civilian profession.

I have no idea what he was doing way over in the southwest corner of the map, but while my attention was elsewhere, he seems to have taken it upon himself to hunt down and kill two thieves. Clearly he was irritated that the militia weren't where they were needed and decided to take matters into his own horn, with which he gored an intruder in the head:

Since my very first fortress, I've usually chosen someone who came of age in the fortress for the captain of the guard and trained him or her for a reasonable degree of combat effectiveness. As I needed one unusually early, I selected a migrant this time, but having been born here, Mr. Flutestreams is looking like a very good candidate to join Tail Winechirp and Sun Budbrand on this mod's equivalent of the fortress guard.

In industrial news, I've finally figured out why my spectra extractor (processes nervous tissues into a high-value substance which is a precursor to other useful substances) wasn't working: I can't queue jobs when the precursors are in refuse piles, but the manager can queue jobs just fine. Now that it's working, I've begun culling my livestock, hoping to improve the general quality.

I've begun a side project, but I discovered that the aquifer is thicker in that area of the map than I'd anticipated. I performed a simple single-piece cave-in breach instead of setting up to drop concentric rings, so it looks like I'll need to set up some pumps to get through the second layer. I may not dedicate resources to complete the breach this season, as the project also requires that I excavate a logic room and build a clock in the mechanical section of my main fort.
Pages: 1 ... 1704 1705 [1706] 1707 1708 ... 3842