Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1702 1703 [1704] 1705 1706 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128826 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25545 on: September 16, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

In the fortress of Searchedmetals we continue our quest for... metal. The big quarry we started below our fortress has evolved into a project for a great arena. It is already 8 zlevel deep. Many child have already fallen there... still trying to find how. Probably because the stairs have no guards, the lil babies just fall to their doom seeing the glittering gems down there. So in retrospective Armok has claimed blood before the arena was even finished. May that child cracked skull appease you oh great god of blood!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25546 on: September 16, 2012, 10:52:05 am »

Yeah, my dining room is 12x21, and its the second biggest room in the fortress, aside from my bar stockpile for the smelters. It's about half diorite and half microcline.

I looked over Waterspear and the four largest rooms (excluding mining galleries) are the Main Dining Room at 14x22, the Industry Room (Mason, Mechanic, Carpenter, Craftdwarf, etc. workshops with wood and stone quantum stockpiles) at 11x28, the Foundry (6 magma smelters, 6 magma forges, magma glassworks, ore and bar quantum stockpiles) at 11x22, and the Booze Storage Room at 9x18.  The Dining Room is a bit irregular due to a side hall for the well and niches to hold statues and reveal a smoothed (and to be engraved) hematite wall.  All these rooms are mainly chalk, with a mix of hematite and lignite.

Once I got magma carts running I actually opted to dig a small magma reservoir higher up near my clay layer and put in four Magma Kilns right next to my clay collection area.  Plus two more regular Kilns squirreled away in a corner elsewhere in the fort set for nothing but "Collect Clay" tasks.  Has worked out nicely for churning out earthenware bricks for surface construction.  With a skilled Potter you can make brick as fast as two item haulers can collect it, and they are being generated close to the surface where most of the construction is occurring as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25547 on: September 16, 2012, 11:03:25 am »

Heh.  Waterspear now has a mayor.   :o

A 30-year-old female dwarf, and in fact the prodigy child I jokingly said in an earlier post would be mayor when she appeared as a 28-year-old child immigrant.  Her like of battleaxes can be appreciated.  The attraction to electrum can be dealt with.  Liking green glass and earrings might prove annoying.  And since she likes ducks we will put a few over by the entrance to her office.

Time to assign her the previously constructed office space, and also assign the former sheriff as Captain of the Guard, along with getting his supporting marksdwarf squad put together.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25548 on: September 16, 2012, 11:19:14 am »

Well, my ex-dining room will now make a good well cistern...

yohyzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25549 on: September 16, 2012, 11:38:51 am »

What's more worrying is that it's a demon with deadly dust. That monarch/demon will DESTROY your fort.

A shame really. You'd think that they'd only go blasting dust if an enemy was near by.

As is turns out she does only blast dust at enemies. Makes for a good entrance guard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just wish I could assign her rooms and such. Right now she acts like a tame animal.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25550 on: September 16, 2012, 11:41:07 am »

Dfusion works wonders in that regard.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25551 on: September 16, 2012, 12:26:32 pm »

The migrants keep coming to our closed gates, a sign that Searchedmetal is already attracting gladiatiors! A few armed kobold have begun attacking them outside with their puny strength. Sibrek the ranger is getting the bash of his life getting mauled by a horde of tiny creature. Although he is still holding on to his last drop of blood. A kobold, after days of stabbing finally fall to exhaustion! We are gonna release the war cave crabs horde on the surface soon, hold on Sibrek! Arena first show: 6th of hematite year 266.

Armok be praised!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25552 on: September 16, 2012, 12:36:29 pm »

Efforts to attract Dobar, Hero of the Mine of Grips, is progressing nicely. Though we're set up right outside, he may not deem the fortress worthy for some time. Already we have bedrooms, a decent little dining hall, fuel-fed forges, furniture manufactories, and a general crafts bay constructed. I intend, as a display of wealth, to build the trade depot from silver, as we have it, copper, and tin ores in plentiful supply.

Also got a win name: Heroicbattle. Sometimes the RNG just throws you a bone when you keep hitting r.

EDIT: Hrmm.... Food and drink are becoming problematic. Good thing it's autumn.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25553 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »

The first gladiators made it into the arena and are hoarding foodstuff. We are dropping booze pots on their head, but they seems to be dieing because they keep receiving these on their heads. Any idea how to deliver drinks and food? Be creative it should be deadly.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25554 on: September 16, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

If you want deadly food delivery it seems like it's working fine the way it is.

So booze and food is aproblem now, and the skilled herbalist has been getting nothing but unbreable bladeweeds or hide roots. Thank god it's caravan season. Also: Migrants came with skills I actually needed!

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25555 on: September 16, 2012, 12:58:58 pm »

The first gladiators made it into the arena and are hoarding foodstuff. We are dropping booze pots on their head, but they seems to be dieing because they keep receiving these on their heads. Any idea how to deliver drinks and food? Be creative it should be deadly.
leave it on a raised bridge pointed at the arena, make a few tests to see where it lands, and declare the general area a meeting zone?

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25556 on: September 16, 2012, 01:04:51 pm »

Never used drawbridge as catapults before. Suggestion accepted. Now the arena is full of miasma and the gladiator main task is to get the corpses out... should'a built a pit somewhere down there. I'm also digging a track for carts delivery!! :)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25557 on: September 16, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »

First show: 30 bugbears versus 20 unnarmed gladiators and 30 or so war cave crabs!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25558 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »

Wow, my people were about to die when the caravan came and we traded for every drop of booze they had. Finally got the dining hall furnished, beds assigned, and the liason met. Evidently the rest of the country is in dire need of mugs, ammunition, and drinks, the last of which they shall NEVER get from me.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25559 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40:34 pm »

Never used drawbridge as catapults before. Suggestion accepted. Now the arena is full of miasma and the gladiator main task is to get the corpses out... should'a built a pit somewhere down there. I'm also digging a track for carts delivery!! :)
I'm not sure it works, never tried it either. However, I remember reading that things now sail in an arc when thrown with bridges.

Can't tell you where I read that though, can't seem to find it again.
Pages: 1 ... 1702 1703 [1704] 1705 1706 ... 3842