Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1699 1700 [1701] 1702 1703 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129075 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25500 on: September 14, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »

I have way too many unfinished projects on hand atm.

1. FB underwater aquarium. Abandoned when the FB climbed out of the water, into the tunnels and up to the 1st layer of the cavern.
2. A more.... "natural" waterfall. At this point, I'm tempted to just give up and split it into two. A waterfall and the pumps in the midst of my dining room and a more distant power reactor.
3. A FB silk farm, that would spam silk at a goblin instead of the current system, where it feeds on my abandoned animals/trolls. of course, I just got a new goodie, namely, a NECROMANCER. I'm tempted now to constantly reanimate a hand or head, and watching the FB wail on it. Have to be careful though, its an insect, so I guess chitin is a bit more vulnerable than the bigger FB.
4. A graveyard.
5. An arena.
6. My railways that will move large amount of cloth through it. Abandoned due to lack of actual products.
7. A railway that will move stuff from my uncompleted depot, to the Trade Depot.Virtually everything is set except for.... the depot and organising the route.
8. Rennovating my stockpiles, and in the process, creating a vault.
9. Refurbishing my Decoration industry, since it was a huge failure. I forgot that dwarves grab stuff from where they near at orders, instead of near the workshop............ And it only reliably decorates stuff with metal. My bone/gem industry is... not working as intended. Right now, its either decorating stuff with ash, metal, gems or bones. I can't get one good that does it all.

And the FPS is dying. I'm not sure how long I have to build all these projects:D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25501 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:28 pm »

I just persuaded 3 more people to the pursuit of Dorfiness, via 300 rabbits and a zombie spiral. Set the game to arena mode and controlled a rabbit in the center, fighting hard to escape the seething mass of bunny hatred (managing to escape before the zombies became the majority - haunted glacier), before finally ending the adventure by exploding.

DerNachbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25502 on: September 14, 2012, 12:59:21 pm »

I just started a new fort and 3 of my starting seven are military teachers/students. As I build the foundations for my little surface fort and set up my squad I gladly realize that all my future swordwielders were male, so no further sorrows about hurled babies and tantruming backbone-dorfs in my plan. Then my migrants hit with another nice suprise, my parent-civ seems to have endured some good ol' long lasting wars as nearly everyone has military experience. I further scrutinize my new recruits and all 3 axe-wielders are female!
One thing led to another, my fortress militia now has a theme ;)
Nothing special here, just another random gem that inspires the player to storytell themselves something, do go on :)

Edit: The next wave is matching the pattern ;)

Edit Nr2: My Axewife Dorfette nicknamed "Mother Axe" just crafted a toy axe artifact :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:41:10 pm by DerNachbar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25503 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »

I am torn between keeping my cavern critters or selling some of them off from time to time. We already have too much food as it si from the FBs that got tiurned into delicious treats. Nearly all the adult dogs have been trained, the magma works are operational and safe, so I may need to dig out a corridor to capture magma crabs. A child went funny in the head and made a mango wood ring, so the vaults of the bank are going to have a few nice things in it.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #25504 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »

What's happening in Rockfang? I'll tell you what's happening in Rockfang. Migrants are happening in Rockfang. First migrant wave: expected maybe five, got two. Second migrant wave: expected seven, got five, including three children. Third migrant wave: expected (and was amply prepared for!) eight or so, got twenty-seven frakking migrants. What do I do with all these migrants?

Edit: Actually, I should clarify. What do I do with them until proper housing can be carved out and furnished? I actually do badly need the available labor to sustain the kind of growth I'm looking for, but wow that's a lot of migrants for the beginning of the second spring.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:47:20 pm by Q-Lok »
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25505 on: September 14, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »

that's a lot of migrants for the beginning of the second spring.

I got 57 (went from managable 20 to 77 in one shot) on a glacier that relies on imports for booze, so hah. As far as housing, just do what you can. A couple barracks with beds or a dorm can go a long way though.

I seem to need around 400-500 units of booze at present to sustain the population seasonally. I can't help but think my dwarves flip shit in joy at the sight of wagons and elves. Got some copper boots forged for my military that has them as part of thier uniform anda mess of lone metal projectiles have been marked for melting. Population is fully clothed, we've beds for all, and even a fairly nice jail! Life is suprisingly good on this miserable patch of ice.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #25506 on: September 14, 2012, 03:12:18 pm »

that's a lot of migrants for the beginning of the second spring.

I got 57 (went from managable 20 to 77 in one shot) on a glacier that relies on imports for booze, so hah. As far as housing, just do what you can. A couple barracks with beds or a dorm can go a long way though.

Fair point. What you're missing, though, is that my current fort is 100% form and design, to the exclusion of quick fixes like throwing beds into a room. I'm making active attempts to not designate any digging that I even might consider changing down the line for a change. Byproduct of this is that the whole living part of the fort is in a small section of a soil layer. >_<

Also, 27 migrants isn't really strange overall, but so many, so early, and in a fort that produces almost nothing, even in the way of furniture or room decoration or food? That's a little weird.
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25507 on: September 14, 2012, 03:23:18 pm »

It seems like if you trade at all you end up attracting a fucking horde. Don't ever trade elk bird bone goods in year one for survival if you want to avoid the encroaching horde.

Two goblins managed to survive being pitched into the execution pit. Speargoblin is paying for his landing on the macedwarf sent to finish them, and in betweenbeing awake from multiple broken bones the dwarf has inflicted with his crutch (he managed to stab him in his good hand) said dwarf beats him over the ehad with his masterwork cedar crutch. The only reason he's suffering his because he clipped the macedwarf's good hand.

Sword goblin was less fortunate; while he survived without injury, I unlocked the hatch. As he bolted for freedom.... He got stabbed in both legs and then in the head by a waiting speardwarf. The last remaining goblin is waiting to be dumped into the silk farm.

EDIT: The Forgotten Beast Xun has come! An enormous feathery stonefly, it has large mandibles and appear emaciated. It's mint green feathers are long and narrow. Beware its deadly spittle!
Champion Meng beat the shit out of it.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25508 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »

Can flying sentiments fly straight up, or do they need to go on an angle? I do know that there are still a couple of issues with flyers in general... Like those idiot crows that run along the ground and tamed flyers that don't fly.

In Adventure Mode one can fly like one would go up or down stairs or move up/down z-levels in fort mode ("<" and ">" if your character has the ability.  Adventurers can just fly straight up 50 levels if they want to, with no need for momentum or anything like that.

As for Fort mode's flying dwarf AI, the only evidence I really had was at a point when I was digging out an outside farm. After channeling down a level and working to floor up the hole, I noticed my dwarves preferred to go through the outer farm instead of through the main entrance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wanted to just ditch stairways completely after finding this and instead have dwarves flying through open pits connecting fort levels, but testing with miners and digging an execution pit has shown the pathfinding isn't that sophisticated. Miners wouldn't fly up 10+ levels to get some booze even though the miners were thirsty and flying out was the only option at the time.

The liason was an exception. I don't know what the deal was. I think he entered the map in open space while flying, and his AI wasn't able to path down. I'm assuming it's like that glitch in past versions were migrants/trader nobles/etc would just hang around near the map edge forever. I wasn't watching him when he magically decided to follow my expedition leader, so I can't say what he did to get down. Maybe teleport? :P

Clearly, dwarves aren't meant to fly. I feel like I've commited some heinous perversion of nature by taking a race that lives in the deepest caves and giving them wings. Feels like !!SCIENCE!!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25509 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:53 pm »

Flying pathfinding for fortress creatures is weird.

Basically, it checks for a path that any normal ground-dwelling dwarf would take, and if there is one, they will go straight there, flying over pits and obstacles, like over the roof.  However, if there is no land-based path, they cannot fly, because they need the ground-based pathing to guide their way.  This can lead to situations where a flying critter is flying over a roof with no access, ends up having to recheck his path mid-flight, realizes there is no path from his position now, and gets stuck on the roof even if he has a perfectly good FLIER tag.

So, basically, flying works if you can also walk there instead.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25510 on: September 14, 2012, 05:08:14 pm »

So, basically, flying works if you can also walk there instead.

Well that's just silly. Oh you silly dwarfs.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Furohman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25511 on: September 14, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »

I've been working on a... Small megaproject I suppose.
Nobobok Etost, Twopillars of Containing. It's effectively a hydroelectric dam without the electric. The plan is to span a river canyon (Approx 22 wide) with an 8 level dam (14 including a central tower... Maybe it should be Threepillars  :-\) with three 'turbines' (water wheels) powering... Something.
3 years in progress was slow but steady, producting enough blocks was taking some time, especially the decorative Kimberlite sections. 3/4 of the marble sections at each end were complete, the top surface forming a curved bridge for now and a framework of the central tower were in place. And then Cattan the Lye Maker slipped while navigating the skeleton-stairway into the water far below.
So far the tantrum spiral has claimed around 30 and the unhappy masons is making coffin production terribly slow. Maybe I should just work everybody to death completing the structure, seal the whiny bastards in their dining room and drown the lot with a pump assembly fitted into their last work?
A reclaim could seal up the fortress on that bank of the river entirely and start afresh... It would be a shame to lose all that work but... Nobody would ever need to know it was there.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25512 on: September 14, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »

Giant dingo earned it's name when the humans came. Kobolds were spotted, and she promptly sprung, dove on, and decapitated the kobold. The other was torn to shreds by a persuing pack of guard dogs and giant lynxs.

Considering building a giant mug out of ice for no good reason out front along with the ICY FIST OF RAEG above my depot (A giant middle finger built from ice.)

For once there were no sieges or ambushers this trading season. Maybe they finally got some brains.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25513 on: September 14, 2012, 09:25:03 pm »

Just got my first migrant wave on the new fortress "Echooils."

Two children, a sucky marksdwarf, and an adequate lye maker.

FML.   :(

EDIT: FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. THERE'S A GIANT AGGRESSIVE WOLVERINE HUNTING DOWN MY DWARVES. IT FUCKING KILLED ONE OF MY FARMERS IN THREE SECONDS.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:38:34 pm by Ki11aGhost »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25514 on: September 14, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »

Lye maker = soap. USE THEM.

A single sucky marksdwarf can be the pillar a whole squad starts around. Make use of that.
Pages: 1 ... 1699 1700 [1701] 1702 1703 ... 3842