Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1693 1694 [1695] 1696 1697 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129371 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25410 on: September 09, 2012, 09:00:58 pm »

Down to ~270 undead. I just want them to lay down and die, so I can finish cleaning up the fortress before turning it in for the succession game...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25411 on: September 09, 2012, 10:02:47 pm »

Okay, what the fuck. I embarked on a place with only one biome, no flux stone. I go down 4 levels and BAM - Marble. (I go down one more and BAM - Caverns. But that's not the point.)

I packed quite a bit of flux stone because I thought I wouldn't have any.

RAGUGUGUGUGUGUGUG. YOU LIED TO ME GAME. FIRST THE CAVERNS AND NOW THIS? RAGUGUGUGUGUG. I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS IF THAT'S NOT TECHNICALLY CHRONOLOGICALLY CORRECT. RAGUGUGUGUGUGUG.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25412 on: September 09, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »

Okay, what the fuck. I embarked on a place with only one biome, no flux stone. I go down 4 levels and BAM - Marble. (I go down one more and BAM - Caverns. But that's not the point.)

I packed quite a bit of flux stone because I thought I wouldn't have any.

RAGUGUGUGUGUGUGUG. YOU LIED TO ME GAME. FIRST THE CAVERNS AND NOW THIS? RAGUGUGUGUGUG. I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS IF THAT'S NOT TECHNICALLY CHRONOLOGICALLY CORRECT. RAGUGUGUGUGUGUG.
The Flux finder is bugged right now. I have oceans of dolomite when I really shouldn't.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25413 on: September 09, 2012, 10:05:31 pm »

I'm currently trying to set up a fort near the ruins of an elven civilization. I genned a pocket world that is literally nothing left but dwarves and frost giants. There are ruins of past civilizations, but there's no other neighbors left.  reminds me of a Scandinavian style world with nothing but their dvergar (dwarves) and jotunn (giants) remaining, warring with one another amongst the ruins of the world after Ragnarok, or something like that.

I'm hoping to catch and tame dragon raptors wandering around nearby to use against the giants in sieges. Besides, they're freaking dragon raptors. Do want.

Only issue is I'm still setting up necessities like bedrooms and such, and the 16 dwarves I have are overloaded. i don't know if I'll get more migrants, honestly, and the work keeps building up for them.

It doesn't help that we have two psycho theropods who wandered past the incomplete cage traps and are currently stomping on dwarves in our dining hall. Did I mention we have no real military left?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:07:17 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25414 on: September 09, 2012, 10:17:35 pm »

Embarked on cave on very young world. One dwarf dead, others just pulled out of near misery with qucik laying of dead buddy to rest, slaying of horses, gathering of plants, making of booze and crude bedrooms. Poor bastards are trapped down there now, so any migrants who arrive will be living on the surface indefinately.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25415 on: September 09, 2012, 11:24:11 pm »

A single freaking raven ruined my chances for trade this year. By standing right where the caravan was trying to spawn from, while the only merchant+animal that made it in got gang raped by undead. The rest of the caravan didn't even show up.

Luckily, the liaison made it inside alive for the first time in maybe 8 years.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25416 on: September 10, 2012, 12:09:20 am »

Four dwarves with training weapons and shields have been beating on this alligator for the better part of two seasons now. I wish one would just kick it in the head and be done with it.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25417 on: September 10, 2012, 12:17:26 am »

My fort just celebrated its 20th year! After 8 years of only 30 dwarves, some migrants finally made it passed the sieges, ambushes, and cursed ash clouds of exsanguination! We're up to a fort high of 80 dwarves and was made a barony! In honor of our brave militia commander losing his arm and the use of one his legs in service to the mountainhome against the dreaded Were-Koala he has been named Baron! (Also, he has a preference for war hammers...).

Work on the 150z lvl magma stack continues..
Work on obtaining and training the giant species continues poorly. Giant dingos, giant porcupines, and giant desert scorpions continue to avoid our traps.

The best news is the elves brought sunberry seeds and we've been able to grow an excellent crop of them in the greenhouse on this cursed land!
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25418 on: September 10, 2012, 12:31:55 am »

Four dwarves with training weapons and shields have been beating on this alligator for the better part of two seasons now. I wish one would just kick it in the head and be done with it.

Now from this situation, one or more weapon lords may arise. They've been beating this thing for that long. WHY WONT THEY JUST END IT ALREADY!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25419 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:04 am »

Now from this situation, one or more weapon lords may arise. They've been beating this thing for that long. WHY WONT THEY JUST END IT ALREADY!
Don't let them grow attached to their "weapons," or they'll be treating all their enemies like that. Damn all the soldiers that think they'll just leave their weapons out on the battlefield and go pick them up later...

In other news;
A pack of dingos showed up to save the elven mercahtns this year, apparently. They all died spectacularly together! Isn't it lovely?

Down to ~100 undead. The outpost liaison escaped with his life after meeting with the expedition leader. I'm hoping for migrants, some day.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:00:48 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25420 on: September 10, 2012, 01:02:20 am »

It is dead, but it slew the axedorf of the group when it counterstruck before it was liberated of it's teeth. This gator's bones may be the only thing saving the dwarven race now. The swordsdwarf, the only one of the group, finally managed to reduce the gator's skull to a pulp with a good pommel strike. He has since tantrumed over seeing sombody die, beat up the speardorf/waxworker, and is now trying to treat his injuries as best he can, but they only have some boar hair sutures, the splints and crutch the poor guy needs. He's gone from no skill to adequate diagnostician.

On the upside, an expert axedwarf/decent herbalist arrived with a fisherdorf and some other workers who've been put to work making bone shit to buy supplies with and gathering wood/plants. Most of what they've found? Fuck all useless blade weed. They ate all the brewables. plus I have so much meat from the gator and boar they killed, I need to over produce barrels just so these poor sods can survive.

Meanwhile below ground, the surviving 6 founders have hooked up, and are raising a small herd of giant moles.

EDIT: Thanks to a mass of hastily made bone crafts carved from the remains of exotic critters (a rattlesnake and dingo the merchant guards killed and the alligator) the surface bound dwarves now have a feeble little survival bunker dug in the soil and plants/ booze a plenty for the time being. The cavern dwellers are neglecting to reinforce the training of the moles so I may need to cage them and wait for thier training to wear off completely. OR I need to send the miners out to kill an elk bird.

One has been diligently gathering little spider webs so they may make a well and mill the dimple cups and cave wheat ona quern, since there's no running water or wind for a mill. And the speardorf who was injured by the tantruming combat medic is now walking about, has a proper spear, even if it is copper, and the tiny surface team has metal caps/helmets now, one axedwarf has an axe and soon so will the surviving one from earlier.

God damn is this the biggest fucking mess I've EVER run. And that's saying something. My first forts did better than this in year one. I basically already have two cripples and two dead guys with one who appears to be on the verge of flipping out and killing everyone.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25421 on: September 10, 2012, 02:21:15 am »

One of my dwarfs just bit the head off a snail-woman.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25422 on: September 10, 2012, 02:43:08 am »

God damn is this the biggest fucking mess I've EVER run. And that's saying something. My first forts did better than this in year one. I basically already have two cripples and two dead guys with one who appears to be on the verge of flipping out and killing everyone.

You mean to say your first ten to twelve forts didn't starve to death/die from dehydration because you had no idea how to keep them alive once their initial supplies ran out? Dear god, where did I go wrong!?

The undead count is still slowly decreasing in Crystaltombs. Still, the dwarves can't go outside, even fully armed and armored in goods stolen from the 2-3 dwarven caravans that made it inside alive, because they'd get gang raped by ravens. The caravan guards have enough trouble with a few raven corpses; these guys have no training whatsoever.
I make Spellcrafts!

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25423 on: September 10, 2012, 02:54:47 am »

There are three more widows in my fortress this season.

A friendly caravan (from one of the modded civilizations) arrived. Just as they were entering the map, they stumbled across a thief. One of the merchants made a half-hearted attempt to fight it, but one of the draft animals pulling a wagon decided it wasn't taking any of this nonsense, tearing off a foot and kicking the poor thief around before stomping its head in:
Spoiler: Combat log (click to show/hide)
It is now known as Bamothawasa, "Granitespewed".

Not long after, a baby-snatcher got a lucky shot and slew Trim Snacksavior (w5e miscellaneous support) with a magically-manifested spike of ice. The first and only shot broke his neck; he somehow moved towards the temporary corpse stockpile and suffocated shortly thereafter. He leaves behind Rose Wanegerbil (w5e crafter) and nine children, of whom five are living in my fortress and one has been marked for great things.

My quick-reaction forces arrived (but not soon enough to make up for the killer's head-start) and stumbled over a squad of lashers lead by an archer. I committed additional troops and brought up fortress security to hold in reserve. We had heavy casualties, including two deaths. Dress Wheelscales, one of my better marksponies, was shot during the firefight, and while he was down his head was caved in with a steel scourge. He leaves behind Lion Sweepsparkle (w12u engineer) and 16 children, including three who were born at or came to the fortress. Candy Yellgully, another of my top archers and cornerstone of the cheese industry, engaged a lasher and had his skull smashed in for his trouble. He leaves behind Basin Incenseink, my broker / grand master weaponsmith / adequate cheesemaker, and seven children, four at the fortress.

While the battle was close at times, the reinforcements turned the tide and the intruders were slain or put to flight.

While i was cleaning up, several more baby-snatchers appeared, and one mauled a crafter and injured a soldier. Hawk Bunchbraided the Coal of Monks (the sub-overmare, ~= mayor), whom I suspect to be a vampire, and Gleam Joybeloved, w5b BEASTMASTER (a title earned for slaying Witchsecret the forgotten beast, beware its deadly blood!) handily dealt with most of them. Another soldier attempted to help, but her artifact bone weapon was once again unable to penetrate even the enemy's socks.

My medical team has been doing an adequate job with this surge of new of patients, but four soldiers are still in the hospital. The worst-hurt by far, Bulb Lanternbride the Lean Volcano is currently scheduled for six surgeries to repair various compound fractures. One of her old wounds has become infected, but I'm not worried yet.

None of the others appear to require significant work; indeed, Glen Warmflicker (w12b soldier/engraver) seems to have healed completely while waiting for diagnosis, and while my notes say that Butter Sideblossom (w11p soldier) broke all the limbs on her right side, at the moment only her right hind leg and right wing are broken. Although she has only one kill to her name, Butter S. distinguished herself in the battle by helping rush the markspony, drawing fire away from the other troops.

Meanwhile, pointless artifacts have been put into display cases and I bought a breeding pair of wolves, although I'm not sure what I'll do with them, since I already have better warbeasts. I'm still holding out for a mate for my lonely male giant cave spider (modded so that they can reproduce), but if nobody brings one by the time I seal the fortress up, that'll be that. Temporary butchers' shops are working through the glut of dead intruders, and my haulers are busy recovering the ponyite.

I've noticed that a small donation of used clothing will be enough to make me the mountainhome. If my civ's caravan can get through, I may just do this before closing the hatches.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25424 on: September 10, 2012, 07:07:47 am »

I am currently (and moderatly successfully) battling the fps drop.
I spent an hour and a half designating x and xx clothing to be dumped, installed a total of 4 atom smashers in strategical positions and get rid of everything that littered the ground to the point where i couldnt see the floor anymore.

I have fought my way from 23 fps to 44 again, and my legendary clothier has tantrumed for 6 months straight, but i feel i am winning this battle... sock by sock, breastplate by breastplate.

Right now ive discovered that placing the lever for my maingate-drawbridge outside the civilian burrow might be a bad idea, as the military doesnt give a shit about lever pulling and the civilians cant go there... lets see how this works out, the goblins smelled their chance are are marching in force as we speak (well, they are paused in force as we speak, but you catch my drift).

Also im unsure wether to forbid or equip my artifact bone battle axes... from what ive read and seen, their performance is rather weak, and my military wields steel adn candy at this point.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.
Pages: 1 ... 1693 1694 [1695] 1696 1697 ... 3842