Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1688 1689 [1690] 1691 1692 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129819 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25335 on: September 08, 2012, 08:57:14 am »

Life has been tame in Cryptclear.  A minotaur appeared, and was promptly dispatched by my military.  A military that is now four members smaller, because they all decided to give birth at once.  Bah.  But with the four new babies, our population is at 79 dwarves.  Was also tired of seeing 30-40 idlers, so I've mined out an entire layer and set the non-important dwarves to smoothing it strip by strip.  The floor above, which was a marble mine, is now a cave spider silk farm, since they're popping up in there.  I've walled it off until there are tons of webs.  I didn't even realize it until my weaver kept popping off with the Collect Webs job.  Also tired of barrels of plants and 34089573095 seeds, I've turned all my farms fallow, forbid 9 seeds of each type, and have cooked the rest into delicious roasts.  I'm not having a repeat of a previous fort which had 22k of both food and drink.  The food stockpiles, man.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25336 on: September 08, 2012, 09:28:56 am »

Tantrums started spiraling, so I thought "hey, I'll start engraving things just in case we fall". Then a few things happened that renewed my hope. We cleaned up a crapload of corpses, merrily dumping them all in a pit. We cleaned up almost all of our stray clothing, placing it near the trade depot. Then we traded all of that stuff for higher quality weapons and armor. You know... not just leather armor. Sure, we're not full steel/magic-metal siege dwarves, but we are legendary hammerdwarves that are going to be several times more deadly from here on out.

Our trade screen, and yes all that was just in spare migrant-given clothing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then, a new pride and symbol of our outpost was made:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that thing is just sexy. It symbolizes exactly what we are - an animal-slaughtering hole in the ground, a Void if you will, with unnaturally contorted human corpses made by necromancers. and defeated by us. Nothing there was contrived, we truly did become the urnprophets, a pleated void for corpses, founded by The Crimson Boulders, from the home of The Scarlet Metal. Pitchspider, you panda-bone pick, you are the mascot of our fort..
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25337 on: September 08, 2012, 09:45:55 am »

Decided my first soldier would do well getting some training through chasing a Giant Snail around for ages with an Oaken Training Axe. XP gains were slow, slow but steady. On the second go (due to thirst) as my dwarf chased it around, the snail suddenly became a corpse.

I checked the logs and it turns out he got bored of his attacks glancing away on the shell and just kicked the abomination in the eyestalk, somehow destroying the brain!

On another note im really worried that the dwarven civ is dead on this world, no migrants have come after the two first waves :(

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25338 on: September 08, 2012, 10:22:37 am »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Felsite, yr.452
First Previous Next

We were so busy arguing about that zombie-sparring-incident that we didn't notice when elven traders snuck into our fort. Somehow came in through the Eastern Bog, said that all the undead were in the West for now. I guess zombie hordes migrate...

While bartering with lumber/berries/totems, that old zombie dwarf #1 from earlier managed to walk around. It entered through the same path the elves did. !! They left the door unlocked !! And that zombie battered Nanaka whilst in her hospital bed. Almost choked her to death... Those damn cats got in the way !!

Spoiler: Lucky Elves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Unlucky Hospital (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:31:34 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25339 on: September 08, 2012, 12:01:17 pm »

Built a large pump tower to bring water from the caverns to the surface, to run a series of water wheels. A pretty good example of dwarven engineering: it's big, overly complicated, pointless(what I intend to power with it could just as easily be powered by the windmills required to start the whole thing), and doesn't even work. Apparently not enough pressure to get the wheels going or something.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25340 on: September 08, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »

Did you let the water drain off the map a little bit?

I heard that if any water drains off the map, then the whole body of water instantly registers as "flowing". Try carve-fortification into the map edge and let the water drain out a little.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25341 on: September 08, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »

Did you let the water drain off the map a little bit?
...It drains back into the caverns. Built a big hole just for it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25342 on: September 08, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »

Machinegate

Fell to zombie hordes when I left the gates open and the ☼large, green glass serrated discs☼ only made things worse. Goddamn necromancer now has 70+ more corpses in her employ and a looooot of miscellaneous and sundry body parts.

Charmtowns

Same world, won't be getting any shiny legendaries because they're all zombies. Going to wall myself in and get to 150+ dwarves via babies and feed the dorfs dog biscuits (that is, biscuits made of dog). I think I'll remove the babycap once I'm settled in. Currently on the 26th of Granite 205.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25343 on: September 08, 2012, 03:32:44 pm »

I think I have made permanent peace with the elves.  They brought me two giant black mambas. 

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25344 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

Charmtowns

What's going on in my fort? What's going on in my fort? I locked the freaking necromancer inside is what's going on in my fort. And the asshole doesn't even have the nerve to show up on my units screen while animating alligator scales that kill my dogs. >:( GUYS HELP I WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET RID OF THIS MENACE EVEN HACKING IT OUT OF EXISTENCE JUST HELLLLLLLLLLLP

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25345 on: September 08, 2012, 03:59:57 pm »

The stockcade is nearing completetion arund Ivoryhomes, as is the mineshaft's antifungal tree flooring. Once all that's done I'll begin work sealing and securing the future magmaworks site (I rely on wood for building materials damn it!) so I can smelt all the damned copper we pulled out of the ground getting roadstones and building the temple. Oh, we've also been enevated to a Counts Fiefdom. Yay us. In celebration, I have expanded the milita with three swordsmen and the miner corps.

Also it appears industrial scale beekeeping is quite possible, as I have outproduced my capacity to consume the products. I mean.... Wow. I actually didn't think it was possible to do that. I had to leave a jug order on repeat to keep pace with production. Methinks I may need more hives and jugs... I have alot of people who've grown fond of mead after all.

Someone also made a perfect rose quartz, So... Woo. Also goblins have come to trade me thier wierd little goodies of silk, troll yarn, and cave leather. I also need to clean out my artificial pond so I can get the dwarven diplomat out.

@ Lielac - Autodump the scales somewhere and  hack a  single droplet of magma onto them to eliminate the threat. Can't use scale anyway thanks to a bug. If you know where he is, rig traps up to the only way out. Then he wont' be able to do anything and even if he's unrevealed the trail of blood if something falls off wil give him away.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25346 on: September 08, 2012, 04:04:47 pm »

@ Lielac - Autodump the scales somewhere and  hack a  single droplet of magma onto them to eliminate the threat. Can't use scale anyway thanks to a bug. If you know where he is, rig traps up to the only way out. Then he wont' be able to do anything and even if he's unrevealed the trail of blood if something falls off wil give him away.

I'll do the autodump and magma. Haven't got a way in or out, though, I made sure of that. There a list anywhere of what all necromancers can animate?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25347 on: September 08, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »

if it had a mouth or grasping tags it can be reanimated, so alligator scale from a whole aligator can be reanimated, just tail scale can't or mussel shell which I think count it's opening as a mouth for fighting purposes can be reanimated but somebody's mangled big toe cannot. severed heads are the worst though.

Finally got the Countess's room up to par, though I have no idea how I'm going to manage that when she ascends to become a duchess next year. She's a good though, hasn't made unreasonable requests and only forbids export of war supplies (shields and poleaxes at present) and  has only mandated the production of one pointless object, which was being massproduced in the kiln anyway, scepters.

We have grown to 49 people thanks to my happy miner-metalworker couple having thier second child. Here's hoping for more babbieswow it feels wierd thinking that.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25348 on: September 08, 2012, 05:04:23 pm »

My fortress is fucked.
Reasoning:

Dwarves: 7
pets/livestock: 53 (mostly caged animals from the caravans)
Others: 752 (99% undead! Maybe 10-11 FB's, and 4 caged wild animals. Other wild animals, any goblins, and any caravans/migrants just get killed as soon as they spawn.)
Dead/Missing: 1559
Corpses:657
Body Parts:360

Goblins don't stand a chance in this place. They just get added to the dead/undead count.

I'm still preparing the great awakening. hundreds of glass serrated disk traps and glass terrarium cage traps.

To make it worse, what do I get?

The dead walk! Hide while you still can!

More undead.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25349 on: September 08, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »

Better make it a nice long winding tunnel filled to the brim with more traps. Can any of your workers bring magama up to flush out the halls? (I'm guessing not but it's a thought.)

To celebrate the successful trading and errection fo three watch towers, as well as to commemorate the first magamaforge of the Ivory Confederacy's construction, three parties were thrown- Holy shit. We finally ran out of wood. Guess we gotta go and clearcut the opposite side of the south river. Nobody is building the pump to clean out the damned artificial pond, and I haven't been able to build that nice garden because all the aluminum we import goes to making the, aside form the general, only noble in the nation happy with expensive statuary.

And some of the livestock are dropping dead from old age, so that's going on. Gonna build the execution pit for when my people begin a proper invasion of the caverns. I imagine trogs will be a regularly occuring pain the ass.

EDIT: Some minor herd cullings and mass shearing of sheep and other critters along with dying the resultant thread is in progress. I also wish I had someone who's only job owuld be to automatically take vermin remains to a garbage dump.
Pages: 1 ... 1688 1689 [1690] 1691 1692 ... 3842