Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1687 1688 [1689] 1690 1691 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129925 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25320 on: September 07, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »

Still trying to generate the world with a necro tower as a glacier embark's neighbour. Dammit, sneaky book-man, Y U NO settle near glacier?? >:(
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25321 on: September 07, 2012, 01:20:50 pm »

Still trying to generate the world with a necro tower as a glacier embark's neighbour. Dammit, sneaky book-man, Y U NO settle near glacier?? >:(

Because the majority of necromancers are human, and humans have more sense than to move to the middle of an icy wasteland if they want to pick on people.

After several years, the dwarves have come! Also known as I figured out why they wouldn't show up. Now I can make import orders for some sweet dwarven steel.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25322 on: September 07, 2012, 02:57:18 pm »

Machinegate

Am I the only one that found this suggestive?  Puts a new spin on "Now you will know why you fear the night."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25323 on: September 07, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »

Machinegate

Am I the only one that found this suggestive?  Puts a new spin on "Now you will know why you fear the night."
No, no you weren't. You also weren't the only person who thought the attack of the wereass on the ostritch cock was suggestive. amazing, no?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25324 on: September 07, 2012, 05:18:40 pm »

My weaponsmith got possessed by unknown forces, grabbed a load of adamantine and made a war hammer. I convicted him of a triple murder.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25325 on: September 07, 2012, 05:23:33 pm »

.... I have to sig that.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25326 on: September 07, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »

Have made only one developed fort. Since I added the masterwork mod I have been getting people killed by random creatures who are supposed to be in the evil regions. But anyways its more fun a baby took on a centuar and kicked its butt. Then 20+ civilians had a fistfight with one and killed it while a caravan stood by and watched and then finished off a great bull that matierialized at the worst moment. This all happened in 5 minutes. Then some Jackal bunny thing lobbed someones head off in another save. Talk about !!FUN!!

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25327 on: September 07, 2012, 05:27:57 pm »

I put that annoying little fortress destroyer in the military, attempted to make him attack some monsters on the map, and he was almost immediately stricken melancholy.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25328 on: September 07, 2012, 06:01:56 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 11th Felsite, yr.452
First Previous Next

The axedwarves convinced one of the children to "pull the lever" and allow the zombies to enter for sparring practice. I learned of it only when one militia came to me with a broken wrist and another with a cut hand. I guess we don't need that medical test pit anymore...

During the whole ordeal, one zombie charged and one zombie just squatted in the entrance hall. Two additional zombies also appeared, and one got past the cages. Our jeweler has dumped that lively one the remaining cage trap in case it rises. Now to go diagnose Nanaka, who got some of that acrid ooze on her during the fight.

Spoiler: Order of Operations (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:23:40 am by ZzarkLinux »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25329 on: September 07, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »

Migrants finally arrive. I feel like singing!

Then I realize; something like 25% of the zombie horde is right there, within eyeshot of where they spawned. I think maybe I can salvage it if the first few dorfs distract them all.

So I look to the escape tunnel to set them up for their glorious "hide in a hole" lifestyle. Only to find... mushroom trees have grown into the fucking tunnel and blocked off access to the fort.

Damnit, RNG, you are a sadistic motherfucker.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25330 on: September 07, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »

I'm having the opposite problem: not enough fun. :(

I wanted to build a 11x11x11 fort (plus a little bit more), churn out a lot of wealth, pack it full, then have Fun. Alas, I've only had one pitiful siege, the minotaur died when I blinked, and the forgotten beast had already left by the time I got around to actually connecting to the caverns.

While I'm waiting for something to come and overrun me, I decided to dig down to Z level 0. Maybe I'd pierce the third cavern, and have Fun that way.

But no, I hit warm stone at Z level 84. There's (I assume) actually magma pool higher than half way to the surface. Darn it I wanted this fort to die, not give me a relatively shallow magma pool that makes me want to keep it going.

Just watch, as soon as I decide I want the fort to survive, *then* Fun will come. :(

GHudston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25331 on: September 07, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »

Does it count as "going on in my fort" if I haven't been able to build a fort yet on account of a slight zombie Emu problem? Admittedly, there's still some kinks to work out in my evil embark strategy...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25332 on: September 07, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »

7 miners and supplies for them. Pick the shit out of everything around the landing site, dig in and NEVER FUCKING COME OUT. Nature will kill damn near everything for you, migrants and merchants included.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25333 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »

A dinosaur-type Forgotten Beast broke into my fort via the aqueduct that carried water from the underground lake into the Magma Sea for obsidian casting. He used his blinding scorching dust along with his sharp fucking teeth to kill all hundred or so dwarves dwelling in the fort. I reclaimed the site, taking with me a steel-armored swordsdorf to try and fight the beast. On initial inspection, it appeared that the beast had fled and the fort proper was completely devoid of life. I sent down 2 miners to check on the (now undiscovered) obsidian caster and prepare space for a new batch. Both were ambushed by the dinosaur and blinded before being eaten inside the dry obsidian mold. I sent my swordsman to try and fight the thing, while I sent my third miner along on a suicide mission to breach the side of the mold, filling it with magma to kill the beast. Both were killed before they could accomplish their tasks, and the beast received only a fractured leg. I decided that one way or another, this thing would die. I forbade all jobs besides mining (which I enabled on all 3 remaining dwarves) and I sent them all down to mine the mold's wall (they only needed to mine one tile). The first dwarf down died before he hit the pickaxe, and the plan completely failed when the beast ascended stairs into the diorite quarry, and then on to the main mineshaft. The shaft passes through maintenance tunnels for the aqueduct, and this is where the beast collided with my bookkeeper (who I made a wrestler and ordered to tackle the beast). There was a useless exploratory shaft which had first discovered the lake (it was just a up/down staircase, with the lake at the bottom). I didn't witness the actions myself, but in the combat log both the beast and the dorf "collided with objects" and when I looked back at them they were both at the bottom of the lake wrestling each other. The dwarf had every bone in his body fractured and he had several appendages removed before he finally died. Meanwhile, the bookkeeper's brave efforts bought the expedition leader enough time to floor over the shaft which the two had fallen down and to wall off all other entrances to the lake. The expedition leader kicked back and sorted through  and organized the goods from before the first abandonment until a migrant wave came, and now the fort is back to normal.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25334 on: September 08, 2012, 08:06:30 am »

Friend Computer has ordered me to construct a fun new fortress for my dwarves based on the 'Paranoia' RPG system.  Digging out the nine separate sets of quarters will be a bitch to do, but moreso will be divvying up the castes to sort who gets what ranking.

Farmers, fisherdwarves and haulers will all be infrared, I think. I fucking hate fisherdwarves.

I've embarked near a volcano, so developing a method for my designated "Friend Computer" dwarf (The most antisocial, mistrustful and erratic dwarf I could find) to destroy the 'traitors' will be fun. They're yet to settle into their roles though, since... well... they're dwarves.

My 'troubleshooter' is already here too - a hammerman with a bismuth bronze hammer. I think I'll pretty much give him free reign to do as he wants... I give my fort approximately two seasons before shit hits the fan.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 1687 1688 [1689] 1690 1691 ... 3842