Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1685 1686 [1687] 1688 1689 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130028 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25290 on: September 06, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

"The fortress attracted no migrants this season." x3

Yeah, because there hasn't been a single caravan since last spring. Pond grabbers eliminated, nothing fun happened.

So, does anyone know how long it takes merchants to go nutty? or do I have to hope the humans come this year and wait for these dickstains to to leave witht hat caravan.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the damned game itself!

The hill titan Thuthu Buquicegad Cingshuvicu Amsir has come! A towering quadruped composed of solid salt. It has large mandibles and moves deliberately. beware it's deadly spittle!

Time to sick the champion macedorf on it.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25291 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »

I got attacked by the dead, and raised the drawbridges to completely isolate the fort until my marksdwarf squad was trained up to pick off the necromancers from the walls. Instead, Immast Usstobul the giant wandered into the screen, killed half the zombies and knocked the necromancer unconscious with fragments of his own skull before he could re-raise them. Unfortunately he got killed by the other half of the zombies, but he died a hero. And a loving father apparently.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25292 on: September 06, 2012, 05:58:36 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 9th Slate, yr.452
First Previous Next

We were just winding down our NewYear celebration when ... Well Tsukasa spotted a lot of dwarves running to our fort ... and suddenly they all feel prone. That wretched rain knocked them out, and one Thripman Zombie was actually feasting on the helpless dwarves... I heard mention that the 26 dwarves and their livestock had fled from a zombie horde that attacked their village. Our headcount only shows that 11 dwarves have made it inside... I, I think I hear them scratching on the barricades, but I'm going to take a nap now...

Spoiler: Sunrise (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: High Noon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Evening (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nighfall (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:15:43 am by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25293 on: September 06, 2012, 06:07:54 pm »

The titan lies dead, with the champion (who temporarily deactivaed folowing the completed order) draggening the now headless hill titan up the causeway as proof of her victory. It was at this time a wood burner was struck with divine inspiration and went fey!

.... And started gathering wood.... Great. This better be a wooden mace or something semi-useful or I'll make sure he dies in the event of injury. We can't go sparing what little wood we have all the time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25294 on: September 06, 2012, 07:26:41 pm »

I just bought 4000 units of leather from the caravan.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25295 on: September 06, 2012, 07:29:02 pm »

Omur the great noseless horse has come! It has deadly spittle and has been bludgeoned to death by by a bunch of macedorfs! And is now being turned into tasty treats.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25296 on: September 06, 2012, 09:13:25 pm »

Just got a half-decent migration wave. It's rather large (16), but I had been preparing rooms, had about half up already.

I think at least half are from old forts on the world. I got a Legendary +5 Miner, obviously from an old fort, two rather skilled masons (Which is good, because now my Mechanic can focus more on traps and the like. Also one of them is a decent Leatherworker.), a Legendary stonecrafter, still at about 600 happiness from an old artifact, a doctor with decent Suturing and Dressing Wounds, an Expert Carpenter who's also Legendary in Fighting and Wrestling (My favorite. Notorious elf-killer.), a good Jeweler (I have quite a few gems that need cutting, so that's good.), and a few decent military dwarves, one or two of which I remember from old forts.

The food isn't as high as I'd like it to be, but I've got plenty of skilled growers, and decent plant stores, so I'm not worried. Doing well on drink, but my only brewer (Legendary) is part-time military, so that could change. Especially since a metalsmith insisted on building a floodgate that doubled my wealth whilst posessed.

Going to appoint the Legendary Wrestler as a squad captain and enroll a few of the less skilled dwarves. (Got plenty of haulers and the dwarves not mentioned happen to be especially useless.) Also hoping the next caravan brings some weaponry or armor, as I'm kinda low. An extra Water Buffalo or two couldn't hurt, as well.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25297 on: September 06, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »

My carpenters have turned into +5 legendary lazy dwarves and are refusing to make me new beds.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25298 on: September 06, 2012, 09:58:08 pm »

A giant just entered my lands.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25299 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:11 pm »

My champion macedorf has another FB on her kill list. Elves have arrived and I am being ABSURDLY generous with them to get rid of the piles upon piles of useless shit we have laying around.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25300 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:16 pm »

My champion macedorf has another FB on her kill list. Elves have arrived and I am being ABSURDLY generous with them to get rid of the piles upon piles of useless shit we have laying around.
Been there.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25301 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:19 pm »

I need to be rediculously generous though because the goblins keep seiging during caravan season with the dorfs and humans, so I may not have another chance to get rid of this crap until next spring.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25302 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »

At least the elves can bring sweet animals.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25303 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:58 pm »

The Subtle Stake has decided to start a new outpost with the intention of shifting the Mountainhome there once established due to ore veins running dry in the mountains.  The two previous outposts were run to help build a cadre to make this new city successful.  And thus the dwarves sally forth to build Waterspear.

A location is selected in the grasslands to the north of the minor river Riftwind where clay, flux stone, and multiple metal ores are indicated by survey.  Once the founders reach the site a small hillock is selected as the primary location and initial tunnels dug into the south face as well as a surrounding protective ditch across the hill and around the entrance.  The miners discover that the chosen site has loam, sandy clay, and then hit the jackpot.  Multiple layers of chalk to dig in and work with.  Inside the chalk are veins of lignite, hematite, and clusters of minor gem stone (jasper and green jade).   A cavern is discovered with a very deep sinkhole as well dropping a number of levels deeper underground.  Exploration of this has been put off until more resources are available.

Development is less haphazard than the earlier posts - a large population is expected.  A large workshop area is dug out to be filled in later.  A tunnel for caravan access is started and a depot location selected.  The various levels of stone are designated for different purposes - residence, administration and commons, foundry, services, etc.  Farm plots are designated and a few crops started.  Much to do with very few hands available.

With the summer the first set of reinforcements arrive.  Mainly veterans - they bring expertise in a number of industries, including a legendary armorer to help get the steel industry established.  Others are military veterans to help guard the new post - a legendary hammerdwarf and an accomplished marksdwarf.  The depot is completed, the miners discover a source of magma, and various workshops and stockpiles start to fill the empty halls dug by the miners.  A cistern to hold river water with a connecting underground aqueduct is dug and gated.  The face of the hillock is planed to a uniform shape by removing soil or adding walls.   A small gatehouse for the bridge over the ditch is begun - and guard dogs are posted.  Kobold thieves have already tried to enter multiple times and been chased off.

A second group of additional settlers arrive.  They do not add much in the way of skills, but they do add needed numbers for carrying out duties with hauling, installing furnishings, and smelting ore.  The autumn caravan arrives with welcome news from home, and the welcome opportunity to gain additional supplies for the winter.  The Foundry comes fully on line with the first carts of magma arriving from the depths, along with some discovered gold nuggets and tin ore.  The miners tell of spotting adamantine amidst the Magma Sea, but in a currently inaccessible location.

The fortress settles in to prepare for spring.  More migrants are expected; and probably many of them.  Additional farm plots are laid out and the precious few seeds planted.  Residence blocks get additional resources and the fort runs out of wood making beds.  A sheriff is appointed to deal with legal issues and some plans laid out for adding cells in the admin section.  The cistern is filled and wells established in the main dining hall and the adjoining hospital section. 

And with the thawing of the river the expected happens - 29 migrants arrive. 

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25304 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »

At least the elves can bring sweet animals.

Indeed. Got a giant adder and a giant moose along with some other critters. I cleaned them out of everything useful, even weapons and shields. Booze, piles of cloth, plants, seeds for cooking, flour, dye, buckets, boxes, even some new clothes.
Pages: 1 ... 1685 1686 [1687] 1688 1689 ... 3842