Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969194 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25215 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Timber, yr.451
First Previous Next

We've begun setting proper defenses with bridges, and I made a well-crafted rabbit totem. Also, a kobold surprised me, then fled into the ooze fields. I was able to grab the dog to keep it from chasing into that swamp.But that is the only good news, dear journal.

But now I sit here in secret meeting with our residents. A caravan arrived from the mountainhome, covered in acrid ooze. Oddly, the wagons kept moving even though the driver and steeds were unconscious. It doesn't look like all the traders will make it inside, and we are deliberating whether any other migrants or caravans can survive their travel. Our best hope for the future may be to rob the caravan clean. I'm not too hesitant about it, we will repay the mountainhome with piles of steel if we do discover the secret of melted pants.

Spoiler: Dodges the raindrops (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:08:20 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25216 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45:40 pm »

Seems there's some funeral receptions going on since the goblins left with 6000 monies in exports. I also hope to be on.... Better trading terms with the elves this year. Last year I had nothing to trade so I put the miners to work killing them and thier pack animals. We've plenty of nice gold trinkets for trade now though, and I hope the bring mates for the gorilla and giant rattlesnake they lent us last year. We also need to clearcut more trees so we can build a proper stockade, though if I carve out a good masonry shop space I can go big and build a stone fortress instead.

As humans, should I dig deeper and emulat my sadly absent beardy comrades? Also: Can anyone direct me to a way to make the fucking dwarves arrive for trade? I want some of that sweet dwarven steel. Chalbys (my inferior human steel) is all well and good but only dwarven steel will make good true weapons.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #25217 on: September 02, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »

A friend convinced me to do a succession fort with him- it's been a while since I've played. Like, since before the interaction stuff.

Embarked on a stream where a Terrifying Badlands meets a Savage Taiga, and quickly got everyone locked underground while an Undead Giant Grasshopper got into a nasty brawl with the local alligators. As things got settled and the miners dug deeper, I had my butcher slaughter the wagon horses since they couldn't graze anyway.

Maybe not my best decision.

Although I quickly tanned the skin, the Horse Hair got up and smothered the Metalsmith in his sleep. A zerg rush of dwarves took care of the hair, and the miners were retasked to dig a shaft to the caverns. Before the Doctor could toss the hair down, however, it reanimated and shoved him in the pit. It was only a single z-lvl fall, and the Doc got off with just a yellow hand, but the hair jumped down after him and started chasing him around the caverns.

I ultimately dug an entirely separate rescue stair to the caverns, and managed to save the Doctor and seal the caverns back up before the Blind Cave Ogres got a chance to make things messy. Unfortunately, between the undead assault, the dead guy, the blood rain, and the lack of tables, chairs, or beds, everyone was miserable. The good news is that two dwarves got over the misery by screwing like rabbits, another somehow missed all the shenanigans in the first place, and the militia commander has guineahen pets to comfort her. The bad news is that the weaponsmith is tantrumming and the carpenter is running around babbling.

But hey, I didn't TPK before Summer!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25218 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »

This just showed up. 2-year-old fort, etc etc, fairly standard, and I have no idea what in the name of Armok's left testicle this thing does.

I still have no idea.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25219 on: September 02, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »

This just showed up. 2-year-old fort, etc etc, fairly standard, and I have no idea what in the name of Armok's left testicle this thing does.

I still have no idea.

This made me lol.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25220 on: September 02, 2012, 10:03:06 pm »

Unicorns have spawned for the first time on Cryptclear's map!  Delicious.  They hilariously spawned right after I cleared out some raven zombies.  Good/Evil split maps are the best.

At least the military is wearing their shoes now.  It's unicorn wrangling time, boys!  Zombie unicorn apocalypse Fresh roasts for everyone!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25221 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »

I still have no idea.

This made me lol.

It also left behind "lower body water" and "water laced with water, water, water, water, water, water, and water"

Water no longer looks like a word.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25222 on: September 02, 2012, 10:54:37 pm »

I still have no idea.

This made me lol.

It also left behind "lower body water" and "water laced with water, water, water, water, water, water, and water"

Water no longer looks like a word.
Pure madness. Isn't it wonderful?
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25223 on: September 03, 2012, 12:22:18 am »

My fort's first Forgotten Beast was dispatched without me even knowing. Hell, I didn't even know it could path to my fort. It was some sort of giant worm or whatever; it took all of two arrows for one of my hunters to destroy it. Meanwhile, I'm still getting bombarded with notifications like "Everyone cancels Everything: interrupted by slightly perturbed weasel."

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25224 on: September 03, 2012, 12:32:51 am »

My first savescum. I kinda had to due to flooding my entire hospital, the military training area and my trap level.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25225 on: September 03, 2012, 12:42:20 am »

Today I decided to start a massive digging campaign..

It will involve my dwarfs channeling the world down to the core, And having my fortress sit on a massive pillar of stone. And maybe suspend it there. but ill get to that.. 1z plane down.. 70 some to go.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25226 on: September 03, 2012, 02:30:45 am »

Despite some tardiness in lever pulling, Swampconstruct fared really well against a goblin siege led by a snow demon Law-Giver. Sure, the cave dragons made it as far as the depot, but met with stout resistance from my silver hammer guard and another squad with *steel battle axe*s. The human caravan guards also provided some suppressing fire from their crossbows.

The "enormous skink twisted into human shape" turned out, as mentioned, to be made of snow. I managed to trap him in my "airlock" corridor where marksdwarves and ballistae opened up on him and his cave croc mount. Some intense projectile action later, a crossbow bolt hit the demon in the lower body, bisecting it. The cave croc died to a silver ballista arrow I think, after an intense bout of vomiting from a lucky gut shot.

The rest of the ambush was crossbowmen, lashers and axemen on giant toads. They foolishly wandered onto my trapdoor bridge set-up and took a plunge onto some lovingly crafted +menacing iron spike+s. The surviving ones crawled out of the spiked pit just to be torn to shreds by the weapon traps at the pit exit.
Some 15 or so battered survivors out of a hundred-strong siege limped off to the goblin stronghold in the end.

In other news, I foisted a metric crapload of used clothing and ☼«*rock craft*»☼s on the dwarven caravan in exchange for some food, animals and much-needed tin and coal. My newly opened magma smelters should be churning out steel and bismuth bronze again in no time.
The rest of the x(worn out)x clothing, troll fur anything and invader corpses get tossed into Mouth of Armok™ leading down to the magma sea.

Life is good in swampconstruct, at least so far. Something needs to be done about all these ghosts though...
Also, the artificial waterfall needs some creative redesigning, lest it fill the dining hall with copious amounts of aquatic ‼Fun‼ every time I turn it on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:32:23 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25227 on: September 03, 2012, 04:11:57 am »

Today I decided to start a massive digging campaign..

It will involve my dwarfs channeling the world down to the core, And having my fortress sit on a massive pillar of stone. And maybe suspend it there. but ill get to that.. 1z plane down.. 70 some to go.

I plan to do this with every fortress......lasts until I get down about 20-25 z-levels, then I get bored and re-gen.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25228 on: September 03, 2012, 07:52:38 am »

I'm so far in the mountains I have to buy my sunlight off of the trade caravans - and it turns out that the entire mountain is made out of rock salt, sand and lignite.

Somewhere a geologist just got a headache and he knows not why.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25229 on: September 03, 2012, 10:50:20 am »

So I just got an @ trader in a migrant wave. How can I get him her out of the way so the rest of the migrants can get on the map?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:54:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 ... 3839