Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1670 1671 [1672] 1673 1674 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965543 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25065 on: August 22, 2012, 02:34:52 pm »

I have decided to test the survivabilty for my planned game, I have founded the human settlement of Hammerwall (I gotta say, the RNG lucked out on that one) on a mostly flat, temperate, savage good swamp with no river in the shadow of a cave.

We've brought s- Fuck. No picks. No anything for mineral hunting or quarrying. Or wood chopping. FUCK. Oh well. I brought stone (for furnaces) and wood, so I can manage by making some tools, though my two hammermen (my modded fighting picks are hammer skill weapons) may have to go without proper body armor. Thought I was forgetting something. Didn't really intend for this but other preparations are working in my favor at least. Now so long as alligators arent' nearby we can see if humans can survive without a ready supply of water in a fetid little swamp filled with mosquitos and giant wrens with the threat of cavern beasties attacking them out of nowehere.

EDIT: Seems there was also a lair nearby, containing a fairly busy GCS named Konab Gogustolu. Since it also got a last name, it must've killed at least two people and must've been a thorn in a goblin nation's side. It's been sealed in it's hole until traps may be rigged up  to capture the fell beast. Same goes for a giant bat, sealed in the main cave until traps can be rigged up to deal with it.
Did you remember to mod the entity files? Humans don't have access to alot of important Dwarven equipment.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25066 on: August 22, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »

Got lucky and all my migrants so far got at least 3 levels on any military skills...in the first two waves of migrants there was a total of 15 dwarves...15 Military Dwarves. They got civilian skills as well but most of them are Axe/Swordsdwarves too(the others fill the other military skills like Hammerdwarves and Crossbowdwarves)

Im sitting at this moment on a big gold mine, so I'll raise my fort value fast too get me more of those military migrants!(No Iron nor any weapon-worth metal on the site afaik,Globinite is on the way)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25067 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:03 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous  Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 22nd Granite, yr.451
We gathered the rest of our supplies inside. Additionally, some chairs, tables, and beds were also assembled, and we all celebrated a hard earned banquet. The day after, we spotted a green cloud outside, and Miyuki joked that the whole place was angry at us. It wasn't funny, but that glance did reveal that there is shrubery growing on the mountainside. The rabbits are looking at us with beady eyes, so our next goal is to get them to pasture. Still, I can't help but feel that the mosquito and cloud are still lurking out there...

Spoiler: A Banquet Hall (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Shrubbery (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Cloud (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:50:27 am by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25068 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »

I have decided to test the survivabilty for my planned game, I have founded the human settlement of Hammerwall (I gotta say, the RNG lucked out on that one) on a mostly flat, temperate, savage good swamp with no river in the shadow of a cave.

We've brought s- Fuck. No picks. No anything for mineral hunting or quarrying. Or wood chopping. FUCK. Oh well. I brought stone (for furnaces) and wood, so I can manage by making some tools, though my two hammermen (my modded fighting picks are hammer skill weapons) may have to go without proper body armor. Thought I was forgetting something. Didn't really intend for this but other preparations are working in my favor at least. Now so long as alligators arent' nearby we can see if humans can survive without a ready supply of water in a fetid little swamp filled with mosquitos and giant wrens with the threat of cavern beasties attacking them out of nowehere.

EDIT: Seems there was also a lair nearby, containing a fairly busy GCS named Konab Gogustolu. Since it also got a last name, it must've killed at least two people and must've been a thorn in a goblin nation's side. It's been sealed in it's hole until traps may be rigged up  to capture the fell beast. Same goes for a giant bat, sealed in the main cave until traps can be rigged up to deal with it.
Did you remember to mod the entity files? Humans don't have access to alot of important Dwarven equipment.

They have everything they need to be fully playable modded in. Been considering giving them an inferior variation of steel, since humans around the game's general time period could make steel, but it was a slow, expensive and inefficent process. Also, since humans rely more on wood than dwarves, I gave them the sawmill from the corrosion mod and always bring enough wood for a stockade.

I haven't gotten into the capturing process, as I got off so I could properly name the fighting picks (I accidently named as just picks. Very confusing.)

Current to dos

Dig down for water
Capture current resident GCS.
Arm hammermen and get them training.
Build stockade and depot for the summer caravan from home.

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25069 on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:15 pm »

Currently going pretty well, I'm on year 40 of my fort, it started in year 12.

We had a few minotaurs and dragons show up, all slain by valiant dwarven conscripts.
The only real trouble has been the constant flow of giant wolverines into my embark. Luckily, my now adequate 30 dorf military is mopping them up.
Haven't even had to dig deep, found surface veins of iron, silver, gold, and rubies. I now have a subterranean tree farm operating, and everything is going well with less than a dwarf lost a year to the seasonal goblinite donation parties. Things are lookings great for Whiplovers!
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25070 on: August 22, 2012, 06:38:53 pm »

Fifteen years after the founding of Orbsclasped I finally get around to finishing the training of a traditionally-minded legendary engraver and set her to work engraving the duke's quarters and the main dining room. Amid the engravings of the founding of the fort and the appointment of mayors and the founding of the fort and the killing of goblins with a silver hammer and the founding of the fort and the creation of masterful pigtail socks and the founding of the fort, she engraves the symbol of the East Bodices, the group of dwarves in charge of this fort.

After all this time, I learn that my dwarves' symbol is a slug man.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:41:58 am by lazygun »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25071 on: August 22, 2012, 08:56:53 pm »

Thanks to overzealous webbing on Konab's end and a bait horse kicking it in the midsection onto a webbed trap, I now have an enemy of goblindom in my direct possesion. Fuck yeah. After haphazardly training my two peasent hammermen into woodworkers to prevent bad thoughts from decommisioning, they now have thier shields and fighting picks and are ready for battle.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25072 on: August 22, 2012, 11:06:44 pm »

Getting started with a new fort. It's got a volcano, sand, fire clay, glumprong (sliver barbs!), feather trees (sun berries!)...and apparently a vicious rain. It started raining right after arrival, and most of the dwarves were caught in it. It seems to have cursed those caught within, and within a week's time the fort had already fallen.

Cool, says I says I. Very cool.

Home civ is at war with the elves (a first), a dangerous rain (another first), , near a couple goblin towns so raids should be common, and I'm planning to finally learn the military with this fort.

Oh boy, this is going to be so much fun! The map is arranged such that the volcano is only touching the edge of the map at a couple points, while also having a 1-block wide passageway, for most of its corner, establishing a fantastic corner (in the evil biome) to establish as the main access to the fort. Hoping to have that as a very defensible corner.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25073 on: August 23, 2012, 12:24:15 am »

Well crap.

A vile force of darkness show'd up, all riding Giant bats or War jabberers. Because of this, I was unable to plunge them to death from my drawbridge trap. I did, however, manage to trap a bunch of crossbowmen in my entrance corridor / shooting gallery and stick 'em full of *iron bolt*s. This didn't end the siege, though. Plus it put a goblin spearmaster in my entrance so I was unable to open the inner bridge to lure in more gobbos to turn into pincushions. (The spearmaster blocked every. single. bolt. fired at him.)
Eventually, I opened the inner door and sent my axe- and hammerdorfs to finish off the spearmaster. This was my first mistake.

20 dead dorfs later, it was a mad dash to close the inner bridg before the King HellGod Emperor spearmaster of DEATH got in the fortress proper. In the ensuing chaos, the access drawbridge to the (walled, thankfully) outdoors pasture was opened. This was my second mistake.

So, by this time the marksdorfs, now positioned above the main entrance, have inflicted enough wounds for the siege to pack up and go home. That's when I notice this:
Urist McFarmer cancels Plant seeds: interrupted by Goblin swordmaster.
A swordmaster had swooped in on a Giant bat and is raising hell in the kitchens, killing the shit out of anybody trying to stop him. Apparently, the pasture drawbridge got closed again so he has no immediate way out, and Urist McLeverPuller is on the fritz. And now my dorfs are starting to starve...

This may end ...badly.  :-\
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25074 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:40 am »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 3rd Slate, yr.451
The miners had begun digging a tunnel to reach some surface grass. Almost immediately, a green cloud descended right in front of them. Those clouds and that mosquito corpse keep appearing everywhere. We had a meeting, and now we've decided to prepare two separate tunnels, to access different patches of grass. We have everybody working in tandem, hauling and mining, to prepare multiple exits just so that we can breach the surface in a safe spot.

Spoiler: Access Corridor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Eastern Field (Cloudy) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:23:18 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25075 on: August 23, 2012, 04:53:17 am »

Ok.... so there was a minor.... Accident. My people are all dead thanks to that spider. I accidently let it loose while I was assigning animals to its cage and it kind of went on a rampage....Just too many casualties. gave up when my two starting hammermen were the only ones left. Didn't even make it to the autmn migrants...

Oh, and that damned thing slaughtered a caravan too.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #25076 on: August 23, 2012, 06:14:48 am »

Awesome! My militia commander, Zas Figureally the Tin Decency of Erasing has given birth to a girl! Her parents named her Urist Bravepulley, and I already have plans for her future. :D
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25077 on: August 23, 2012, 10:18:08 am »

Phew... Managed to let the swordmeister out of my fort (his mount did get killed, apparently). Basically deactivated military and told everybody to go hide in the basement until the big bad goblin goes away.
Now if I can just survive the ensuing tantrum fest...

[edit] Berserk Legendary Miner. D: Shit.

[edit2] Down to 3 maddorfs: 2 berserks and 1 melancholy, all miners. Looks like the end. :(

[edit3] Your settlement has crumbled to its end.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:51:31 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25078 on: August 23, 2012, 10:37:51 am »

My first magma pump stack has worked pretty well for what I expected. Minor leakage will be stopped by gabbro doors, leaving the access tunnel totally clear of magma (hopefully).

Now to move prisoners into the new arena, and test the obsidianizing/magma bath/drowning chamber...

Malerter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25079 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »

So, I just recently found out about this game, been doing a lot of reading up on it trying to figure it out and today I started work on a fotress I had been planning in my head.

I spent a good part of two years digging and planning it out, had all the workshops and stockpiles, the bed rooms and noble rooms, a huge smoothed out dining hall which they all thought was legendary.

Until this point I had been getting all my food through fishing and meat, and trading for booze..I didn't want an above ground farm as I was sealing myself off with just an airlock for trading, and I didn't want to deal with flooding to get an underground one running for fear of flooding untill I had all the basics carved out.

Well it turns out my fears were valid...I got my farm flooded and drained and that was up and running. I decided I was gunna shut off the water coming in my water pipe from the river so I could put in another line leading to a reservoir I was going to use for my well...but I pulled the wrong lever and opened up the river to my fortress.

Being sealed off you can imagine this would be quite bad..looking around to try and save what I could I thought my best option would be to seal off the farm/dining/food stockpile level.

I had my dwarfs quickly floodgate off the stairs, trapping them on this level. 5 dwarfs left, 2 miners, 1 farmer, My chief medical dwarf, and my expediton leader...the leader has a grudge against the CMD and the farmer..oh and there was a war dog and 2 puppies on the level but they were quickly killed for food.

We have a good stockpile of meat and booze, and the farms are growing plump helmets now, with some pigs tail seeds in reserve..but we have no wood on this level, or beds..I don't think they'll enjoy that too much after the nice rooms they just lost.

I hope they can survive down there though, it was fun saving them.
Pages: 1 ... 1670 1671 [1672] 1673 1674 ... 3838