Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1659 1660 [1661] 1662 1663 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123477 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24900 on: August 16, 2012, 12:41:38 am »

Injured during world gen in a battle obviously.
This.

I once recieved a vampire Queen to my fort who was missing her left cheek. Eww.
(Dropped the ceiling on the sucker, boo ya!)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

zero2zero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24901 on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:54 am »

Just watching my most developed fort yet fall to a loyalty cascade because I didn't know those existed. Imagine how confused I was when suddenly anarchy everywhere... even the trained rattlesnakes from the snake pit broke out and started biting people! I'm already down from 200 to 100 dwarfs.

To the victor goes the adamantine!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24902 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:39 am »

Just watching my most developed fort yet fall to a loyalty cascade because I didn't know those existed. Imagine how confused I was when suddenly anarchy everywhere... even the trained rattlesnakes from the snake pit broke out and started biting people! I'm already down from 200 to 100 dwarfs.

To the victor goes the adamantine!
Sounds like your mostly screwed. I reccomend stationing a squads away from the fort proper, let each squad duke it out, see if any survivers are loyal to civ and fort. if so, let them in, if not, lock them out. If civilians are fighting, draft them into squads too.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24903 on: August 16, 2012, 01:46:47 am »

LIMBS AND TEETH FLYING EVERYWHERE WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24904 on: August 16, 2012, 02:19:25 am »

Just tested my new anti vampire system. All new migrants are forced to go to the testing room, which will be filled with water. After a couple of minutes, I open some floodgates and let the water out. Every dwarf, who has not drowned, is considered to be a vampire or worse, and will be either imprisioned for eternity in the catacombs or drowned in magma.

Spell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24905 on: August 16, 2012, 03:05:54 am »

It appears that human civilization has deity as their diplomat. What an honor!

Downside is that humans are basically worshipping a huge guinea pig. Not sure what to think about it.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24906 on: August 16, 2012, 04:04:25 am »

Downside is that humans are basically worshipping a huge guinea pig. Not sure what to think about it.
Fight it for the lulz. Beside,it vanish from world gen on leaving yr map

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24907 on: August 16, 2012, 06:05:10 am »

loyal to civ and fort
I thought the issue of loyalty cascades is that they either become loyal only to the civ or loyal only to the fortress's group. If you want to get through this and still trade, you'll want to go with the civ one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24908 on: August 16, 2012, 06:17:46 am »

loyal to civ and fort
I thought the issue of loyalty cascades is that they either become loyal only to the civ or loyal only to the fortress's group. If you want to get through this and still trade, you'll want to go with the civ one.
Nope. Even if a Dwarf was loyal to just one group they'd still not try to rip each others throats out. Loyalty cascades are caused by Dwarves being enemies and members of the fort - so anyone who attacks them (which they will try to do) also becomes an enemy of the civ.

Also congrats!
500 pages of Dwarf Fortress!

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24909 on: August 16, 2012, 07:57:42 am »

500? i've got 999, I guess I've set it to less posts-per-page.  :P

In other news; I locked the doors to the caverns forgetting my exploration squad... then after looking at the combat reports I wondered how a giant toad got in though the doors...
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24910 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:51 am »

500? i've got 999, I guess I've set it to less posts-per-page.  :P

In other news; I locked the doors to the caverns forgetting my exploration squad... then after looking at the combat reports I wondered how a giant toad got in though the doors...
I've got 1664.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24911 on: August 16, 2012, 09:07:45 am »

Twin mist generators complete. Happiness abounds!

Time to begin leather clothing production. Almost all my dwarves are naked but have enough happy thoughts being generated they don't seem to mind their lack of clothing. Nevertheless, leather production should boost their defense against local troublesome wildlife considerably. That being said, I have far higher trained clothiers than leatherworkers. Maybe just leather shoes for now, with textiles for shirts and pants.

Bah, life used to be so much simpler when you could let them wander around naked caked in mud and vomit.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24912 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:57 am »

Fight it for the lulz. Beside,it vanish from world gen on leaving yr map
Its not a deity, its a demon, who tricked them into thinking it was a god.

actually, if a dwarf isnt loyal to fort, they ignore your commands.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #24913 on: August 16, 2012, 10:44:12 am »

Most of my fortress now has guinea pigs as pets. All born after this will be put into a cage for a guinea bomb to be dropped on the first goblin siege or theif i catch. I'm aslo going to mod guinea pigs to be war trainable... mainly for the lulz.

Edit: the worldgen wounded dwarf has sat in it's bed, not eating or drinking for two seasons now and isn't dead.... i'm pretty sure it's a vampire.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:05:10 am by Shininglight »
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24914 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:26 am »

Genning a new world for RabbitHut after upgrading to Fedora 17 (I like Gnome 3 myself).

Last embark had so much magnetite ... it felt like cheating.

Seriously, it's harder to exploit the meltingpants bug then it is to just simply embark on an iron mountain.
In an undead biome, the early wood is so critical that having an iron-mountain is was way easier compared to fueling and heating the meltingpants.

And worldgen just crashed again...
Pages: 1 ... 1659 1660 [1661] 1662 1663 ... 3842