Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1656 1657 [1658] 1659 1660 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123204 times)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24855 on: August 15, 2012, 01:16:53 am »

Do gremlins breed?
My civ has tamed them! I want to breed a gremlin army!

EDIT: Figured it out, the gremlin pets came in a migrant wave. The fact pets could come in migrant waves slipped my mind.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:20:26 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24856 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

Well it's my second year at "Silverguilds" and my military commander/sheriff has gone insane, the previous migrant wave brought a weregoat and I still haven't found any silver. On the plus side despite refusing to pick up weapons the commander has killed two snakes and a bear so I think things are going quite well.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24857 on: August 15, 2012, 01:29:10 am »

Do gremlins breed?

They should breed, yeah. Not very effective as soldiers, though...

My fortress has suffered a brush fire in the main exterior area, killing many pets including my prized gremlin huntress and at least one dwarf. It's those damn elves' fault I tells ya! I ordered some lesser dragons and wyverns, among other animals, from their acolyte(liaison) last year, and they deliviered spectacularly (immediately after dying spectacularly.) Breeding pairs of each available species of dragonkin, including dragonmen, and the coyote men, pangolins, and giant rattlesnakes I ordered. Not sure if there's anytihng they forgot, but I amde sure to order more of everytihng for next year. This was awesome, I thought. But I forgot about the ravens harassing the fortress, and the dragons apparently threw a hissy fit soon after being released and torched the place. So the Elves are responsible for not training the dragons not to torch everyone around them. Nope, no responsibility here!

The fire also destroyed the majority of the wood beds and bins, which were out on the ground where a carpenter's shop used to be. A lot of masterworks were lost, but their creator seems to be alright for the moment...

Hopefully the coyote woman was impregnated before her mate died. I have plans to start an army of beastmen. Coyote men are moderately larger than gremlins, which will likely make them more effective. I think.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:31:07 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24858 on: August 15, 2012, 02:05:33 am »

Meet Kadol Ledmamot, Gem Setter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, Kadol is wounded. He spent some time in the hospital, and received plaster casts on both legs. But something went wrong, there in his hospital bed.

One arrow, stuck in each leg. You'll also fail to notice any mention of a crutch. Kadol somehow escaped the hospital, crawling, with arrows protruding from gaping wounds in both legs.

That was five years ago.

Since then, Kadol has been crawling around the fort, taking odd jobs, and changing clothes rather a lot. He's never very happy, mostly because every now and then he'll pick up a rock and haul it, for weeks at a time, and end up asleep on the floor somewhere, passed out sober, slosh-stomached and waterlogged. That is to say, he was doing these things until about six months ago, when I finally noticed him pouting and blinking in the dining room. Now he has a new job--but as it turns out, he seems to be terrible at it.

His new job is to get injured.

Since I discovered my one-dwarf bottleneck, I have been setting him at a number of tasks, attempting to hurt him badly enough to go back to the hospital and finish his treatment. He's now set up and triggered four different cave-ins, standing closer each time, getting blown across the room, skidding on internal organs. And every time, he passes out, wakes up, shakes himself off, and gets up--onto his hands, and drags himself away, none the worse for wear.

I'm going nuts. This clumsy, weak, broken guy is completely indestructible.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24859 on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:35 am »

Embarked on a bandit camp expecting a fight.

Got four battle ready soldiers with thier own weapons and a free palm chest instead.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24860 on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:34 am »

Meet Kadol Ledmamot, Gem Setter.

As you can see, Kadol is wounded. He spent some time in the hospital, and received plaster casts on both legs. But something went wrong, there in his hospital bed.

One arrow, stuck in each leg. You'll also fail to notice any mention of a crutch. Kadol somehow escaped the hospital, crawling, with arrows protruding from gaping wounds in both legs.

That was five years ago.

Since then, Kadol has been crawling around the fort, taking odd jobs, and changing clothes rather a lot. He's never very happy, mostly because every now and then he'll pick up a rock and haul it, for weeks at a time, and end up asleep on the floor somewhere, passed out sober, slosh-stomached and waterlogged. That is to say, he was doing these things until about six months ago, when I finally noticed him pouting and blinking in the dining room. Now he has a new job--but as it turns out, he seems to be terrible at it.

His new job is to get injured.

Since I discovered my one-dwarf bottleneck, I have been setting him at a number of tasks, attempting to hurt him badly enough to go back to the hospital and finish his treatment. He's now set up and triggered four different cave-ins, standing closer each time, getting blown across the room, skidding on internal organs. And every time, he passes out, wakes up, shakes himself off, and gets up--onto his hands, and drags himself away, none the worse for wear.

Laughed out loud at that one. Great description of your dwarf. I'd suggest setting up a danger room with some spikes and setting them to repeat for awhile. That ought to make your point (terrible pun intended).

Current project: Twin dining room mist generators nearing completion. Getting the twelve identical steel dwarf statues for them is proving tricky but I'll get there eventually. After that it's on to pumping out the first cavern's water layer and penetrating into the second cavern. Year 12 in fort, zero deaths, one injury from a helmet snake that bit a child in the hand but was quickly hospitalized and treated successfully. Creating over a hundred identical clear glass screw pumps is tricky on a map with no sand but trade has been enough to get mostly there. One of these days I should really get around to building a farm, but it can wait a decade or two.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24861 on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:59 am »

Four ambushes at once, too many caught outside to just close the drawbridges;

Charge!

Vicory but with injuries and a Civillian bled out - damn bow goblins.

Might wall off the surface of the map to create a serires of trenches/ rat-tunnels that map-invaders need to traverse to get to inner fort.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24862 on: August 15, 2012, 09:17:59 am »

Try dumping the arrows for a start. Then his legs might start healing, since they already have casts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #24863 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:15 am »

Jost got my first migrant wave of my new fort aaand wow, one of my migrants, a fisherdwarf/ spearman has 163 kills. At competant speardorf with novice in ALL other skills... He's not even ohysically strong or anything, from what his kill screen says he's killed  155 goblins two of them notable and eight trolls.... I had a legendary speardorf with fewer kills.

On another note, my cavy breeding program inspired by my recently aquired pet guinea pig is going well.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:53:38 am by Shininglight »
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24864 on: August 15, 2012, 10:06:35 am »

Current project: Twin dining room mist generators nearing completion. Getting the twelve identical steel dwarf statues for them is proving tricky but I'll get there eventually. After that it's on to pumping out the first cavern's water layer and penetrating into the second cavern. Year 12 in fort, zero deaths, one injury from a helmet snake that bit a child in the hand but was quickly hospitalized and treated successfully. Creating over a hundred identical clear glass screw pumps is tricky on a map with no sand but trade has been enough to get mostly there. One of these days I should really get around to building a farm, but it can wait a decade or two.

12 statues?  Can I see your layout for your mist generator(s)?

Right now I have tapped a river (with emergency floodgate installed) down and split it into two channels, which pour onto two statues which are stuck into two dead-end hallways, and then into two wells (there's nowhere else for the water to go).  To prevent mud being tracked I also put down some grates.  The hallway between these is 3 across so the dwarves get a mist shower almost constantly on the way to the dining hall.  The cistern underneath holds about 20x20 worth of water before being run off the map via a fortification at the edge, and another floodgate in case I have to turn the flow off but keep the cistern from draining.

I tried to make the grates from bars of soap, too, but it didn't work.   :-\
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24865 on: August 15, 2012, 10:08:48 am »

Try dumping the arrows for a start. Then his legs might start healing, since they already have casts.
I didn't dump them, but I did unforbid them, and they're gone now. Woo!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24866 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:27 am »

"What!, get rid of my lovely leg jewelry?"

Urist McCripple has admired a fine -Steel Bolt- lately.
Urist McCripple has admired a fine =Iron Bolt= lately.
Urist McCripple has grown attached to a {-Steel Bolt-}.
Urist McCripple has grown attached to a {=Iron Bolt=}.
:P

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24867 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:52 am »

I've got quite a few things going on in my fortress right now. I'm making my first serious attempt at a mega project ever, a 42 x 42 adamantine spire dead center of the map running it's entire span of Z levels.

I breached all the cavern levels with a single shaft then sealed it directly under my fortress, so far 7 forgotten beasts have lined up at the seal, fun for later. I also captured and tamed 3 Rutherers, which are now breeding.

Finally I have a series of magma smelters and forges pumping out the obscene amount of adamantine that will be required for the mega project to complete. (about a third of a million bars without factoring space taken up by HFS and SMR)

Also, this is my first post in these forums!  :D

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24868 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »

Third year in Ringplanks, and I finally figured out why the still won't produce booze! I forgot to link it to a furniture stockpile with barrels. Having to link a stockpile for every last function, just because I want it to take from a specific stockpile for one function, is literally a pain in the ass, and I intend to never do it again. At least not for food. I've been importing booze the whole time.

This is why I make "crappy, inefficient FPS-draining fortresses where nothing ever gets done." I always hated having to worry about stockpiles and efficiency and crap, and half the time I waited years to even MAKE stockpiles for anything besides food and maybe getting the wood over to the carpenter's shop.

I recommend sticking it out with the stockpiles.  Once you figure out how to quantum stockpile all your brewable plants and no longer have to fiddle with the z-stocks cooking screen, you'll have a much happier time with the still.

Single-tile minecart tracks dumping into a single tile quantum stockpile are wonderful things.  Your brewer / worker dwarf only has to stagger 1-3 tiles to get the inputs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24869 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »

My Human Village has eighty people in it. 50 of them are children. 100% of those children were born in the fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 1656 1657 [1658] 1659 1660 ... 3842