Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123090 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24810 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »

just use the activity zone to designate a dump site and mark the rotting stuff to be dump. the dorfs will deal with the rest.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24811 on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:09 pm »

I know, but OCD.

IN the mean time my sworddorf has 6 crundle kills and 1 wolf kill. Will the carnage ever stop?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24812 on: August 13, 2012, 07:00:20 pm »

I know, but OCD.

IN the mean time my sworddorf has 6 crundle kills and 1 wolf kill. Will the carnage ever stop?

When I first started hating crundles, I had one soldier with 50-60 crundle kills.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24813 on: August 13, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »

That's not carnage. My lifeminers have about 40 trogs between them and my mace sergeant, Sergeant Earless McDualwieldsmaces has 12 crundles and two trolls (I had to kill ALOT of things before I got those traps up.)

I know, but OCD.

When I first started hating crundles, I had one soldier with 50-60 crundle kills.

My mace sergeant was going that way until i got said traps up. Now they train up my low level animal trainers.

EDIT: Ok little freeloaders! Get the hell out of those bedrooms, the adults matter more! I'm honestly shocked I can keep all these dwarves housed and fed on a glacier on nothing but elk birds, eggs and imports.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24814 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:18 pm »

Walls are being built, so I won't have to worry until I breach the next cavern.

Also, it's a carnage to me because I am used to anything that moves killing at least one of my dorfs.

Also, I just made a Tanner's workshop out of ice. Out of context this is hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:11:18 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24815 on: August 13, 2012, 07:15:21 pm »

I caught my other giant mole, and she's quite the specimen, being strong and fat. Also a towering 3 eyed web spinner elephant arrived and thants to some forethought, i raised the gate so I could throw up some meager defences. Never thought I'd need marksdwarves to kill something. Normally my melee dwarves do all the real fighting.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24816 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »

Well my sworddorf just killed a giant olm, alone, in about 3 or 4 real life seconds. :o No injuries. Also killed some more crundles.
And a Giant earthworm. Earthworm blood is eeeeeveeerrywheeeerrreee.

There is even earth worm vomit.

Halp me I don't know what is going on here.

In total 16 kills.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24817 on: August 13, 2012, 08:02:51 pm »

Your swordsdwarf is gonna work themself to death if they're fighting constantly.

A vile force of darkness has arrived! And amazingly, while I was ready to cheat like a sone of a bitch, my under equipped milita is actually wining. Hell they actually formed something resembling a formation before the battle became heated! three marksdorfs managed to machinegun almost all of the axegoblins in the le, some passing out. I think there's only three who haven't basically had thier legs shot out from under them. As soon as the last volley was fire, the life miners charged with the marksdwarves close behind. Pick met flesh, dagger met brain, and most of the siege lay broken. The siege leader's cave swallow will make good eatin'.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #24818 on: August 13, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

I had a single spearmaster (courtesy of a goblin siege, he ran out, went into a martial trance, was hacked at by no less than 12 goblin lashers for 2 months before he was relieved, He was incrediby hard to tire and near unkillable, sadly a goblin whip-saber cut off his head in the next siege which made it through the gate and murdered everyone) when i found my first crundle batch, all my militiadwarves had full iron and steel weapons but i was bored, so i sicced them on the crundles, 83 crundles later (30 accredited to my spearmaster the rest evenly distributed amongst the other squads) the cavern was covered in blood and miasma, and crunde bits, cundle bits EVERYWHERE! I found myself suddenly overwhelmed and my meat industry supercharged. Until the next gobbo siege. Haven't seen any crundles since.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24819 on: August 13, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »

I take it outpost liasons talk to expedition leaders, right?

Just my luck. Last time I pushed my luck with trades and ticked off the merchant when trading.
This time, my expedition leader when moody and made a table... go figure.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24820 on: August 13, 2012, 08:24:22 pm »

Four soldiers hospitalized, two with missing legs, and a baby gutted. The siege was killed to the man in response. As I refuse to decommission soldiers who toughed out such injuries and survived. I'm going to send the lifeminers and the Urists of Doom after the FB. It can't kill all of them.

Regardless, the goblin christmas was a windfall. I now have axes a plenty and metal armor for my soldiers.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24821 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:32 pm »

Your swordsdwarf is gonna work themself to death if they're fighting constantly.

She has the default military setup, so she sleeps at will, often when I need her most to stop that army of crundles from killing my livestock.

I do try to set her to in-active regularly since I am afraid she will become unhappy due to the draft.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24822 on: August 13, 2012, 08:37:42 pm »

Just seal off your needed workspace and assign her one or two recruits to train if you can. Keep them drilling nonstop, and it'll become a nonissue and having three swordsdorfs will speed up crundle cleansing.

So the siege cost me this years caravan. The enemy was here just long enough for the window to close. oh well. Maybe the migrants will think we died and no more will show up.

angrysully

« Reply #24823 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:38 pm »

A giant bird that "dwarfs" dragons appeared right as the human traders were leaving and killed one.  I'm hoping this does not cause them to siege me.  I managed to kill the beast with my 50 man army and 50 war dog support with only one marksdwarf death (recruit for less than a minute).  If you kill big creatures, will they be butchered for food automatically or do you have to do something special for certain monsters?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24824 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »

Usually most non humanoid creatures will be cut up on thier own. But sometimes you may need to build the shops to process them next to them.

The FB slipped in through the well, and was met by a flurry of recently aquired axes, angry fists and a copper sword. Hell, the teeming child horde even got involed and actually dove on it instead of running.

EDIT: A stray bit of FB webbing resulted in a caged engraver. I'm half tempted to try and sell him for lulz.

Dunno who scored the kill because it was a bleedout, but the caverns, such as they are, are safe once more.
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 3842