Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1650 1651 [1652] 1653 1654 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122785 times)

Stuball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24765 on: August 12, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »

Well, that was my first fort ever. Emphasis on the "was".

90 fort population, 60 of which were children. My armour was basically leather because I had yet to get an effective metal industry up.

Lo and behold, my first siege comes and I deal with it terribly. Many casualties later and the invasion is valiantly thwarted, though at a cost.

End result? many, many, many dwarven children throwing huge tantrums that lead to a complete bloodbath, my soldiers are in the hospital being cared for by one mildly trained doctor while just a level above, children cause bloody mayhem.

I think it's time that I call this fortress quits and put what little knowledge I gained from this experience into my next, hopefully better ran, fort...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24766 on: August 12, 2012, 03:24:41 pm »

Have more medical jobs on more dwarves. The individual jobs will take longer, but you'll gain time from having any free dwarf being able to come to the hospital.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Stuball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24767 on: August 12, 2012, 03:47:45 pm »

Have more medical jobs on more dwarves. The individual jobs will take longer, but you'll gain time from having any free dwarf being able to come to the hospital.

You overestimate my ability to have dealt with that siege effectively... at the end of the siege, all I had left was one dwarf who could actually do anything useful, everyone else was in the hospital, dying in a forgotten corner of the map, already dead, or they were a child filled with rage, tantruming in various blood coated hallways like some sort of Lord Of The Flies insanity.

But yes, your tip is duly noted for my next attempt.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24768 on: August 12, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »

There is a full blown tantrum spiral in the kobold fortress,  theres a burning guy just wandering around without a care in the world and a someone just straight-up murdered a bunch of patients in the hospital.

These kobolds sure are dorfy.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24769 on: August 12, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »

Alas, after a glorious annual trip, I return to the land of terminal insanity known as Dwarf Fortress, Fortress mode.

This is going to take lot'sa save scuming to breach this insta-freeze aquifer.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24770 on: August 12, 2012, 05:19:37 pm »

Got a week of vacation from work, so I'm genning another world now in 34.11 (still got 34.07 on backup).
I want zombies. I want Desert. I want mountains ....

And my WorldGen just crashed didn't it...  ::)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24771 on: August 12, 2012, 07:00:48 pm »

Oh lookie, the aquifer I'm freezing my way through is AT LEAST THREE LAYERS THICK.

Will report back when I breach it, or when my dwarves die of frostbite from taking so long to breach it.

UPDATE: I have breached the aquifer and the most beautiful message I have ever seen played upon breaching.

"You have struck hematite!"

And you ask, why is this beautiful? Simple, do you know HOW MANY FORTS I have played WITH ABSOLUTELY NO FORM OF IRON? Too many,
far too many.

UPDATESGHDASU: I hate every thing, THE HEMATITE IS IN A AQUIFER! I hope there is more. In the mean time the trade depot is going outside, I can't take this.

Upadatesda: Saaaaaaave scummmming,
oh save scumming,
saveing the day
,errrrrry day

Update: Hematite seems to be in non-aquifer layers, in the meantime my OCD is entering hyper mode be cause the stair ways are REALLY BOTHERING ME!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:04:51 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

angrysully

« Reply #24772 on: August 12, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »

I got a couple questions

1.  Is it better do have a fortification on the same level for your marksdwarves or have it one level above?
2.  How good are serrated disk traps?
3.  Are paved roads best built with blocks instead of just rock and what is a good width for a road going 4 directions?

crew4man

• Bay Watcher
  • Its good...but is it Dwarf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24773 on: August 12, 2012, 08:37:17 pm »

I'm no expert, and can't really answer question 1 or 2. All I know is that two is a really bad idea with zombies.

With three though, the road question. Wagons take three spaces wide to travel, so more than that is probably overkill. Unless you're doing it for aesthetics.
Also, if I understand correctly, a single "rock" boulder makes four blocks, so blocks are more efficient to use, but takes more processing and other than the efficiency doesn't make a difference. I think. I know with walls that regular rocks make the wall "rough," but nothing the player can see.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24774 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:18 pm »

I got a couple questions

1.  Is it better do have a fortification on the same level for your marksdwarves or have it one level above?
2.  How good are serrated disk traps?
3.  Are paved roads best built with blocks instead of just rock and what is a good width for a road going 4 directions?

1. Same level, keeps them from getting attacked by melee fighters.
2. Absurdly good, your only concern is dead bodies clogging them up.
3. Roads paved with blocks look smoother and are 4x cheaper material wise. A road should be at least 3 tiles wide for caravans, I go 5 for main roads but that's just aesthetic. 

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24775 on: August 12, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »

1. Moderately skilled marksdwarves can only shoot through fortifications adjacent to them. I don't think putting the fortifications on a different z-level is going to do anything constructive.

2. Serrated discs are the single deadliest trap component. The downside is that you'll need to clean up a lot of severed limbs afterwards, and if you're fighting zombies the individual body parts can be reanimated as a ton of smaller zombie parts.

3. What ^ said.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24776 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »

After ~290 years, I embark to a Terrifying Mountain / Terrifying Jungle.
A trio of Chinchilla corpses confirms my delight worst fears...

Seven dwarves named "MeltedPants the Secret-Steel" have embarked to found RabbitHut, the Hut of Rabbits.
They hope to abuse the melting bug.

...Hmm, this is weird...
The only stone available seems to be dolomite, gypsum, and magnatite.
May not need to abuse steel-chain-leggings after all.

angrysully

« Reply #24777 on: August 12, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »

Seven dwarves named "MeltedPants the Secret-Steel" have embarked to found RabbitHut, the Hut of Rabbits.

...Hmm, this is weird...

What's the bug? melt down steel chain leggings and get twice the steel mats?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24778 on: August 12, 2012, 09:54:23 pm »

I just realized that I chose the best engraver to engrave my trade hall/room. The first thing that the traders see when coming in is a spacious 3-story tall excavated space, with thousands of engravings depicting almost exclusively images of my fort's foundation, elections of nobles, my dwarves slaughtering enemies, and artifacts made by my fort.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24779 on: August 12, 2012, 11:03:59 pm »

...Hmm, this is weird...

What's the bug? melt down steel chain leggings and get twice the steel mats?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Melt

Chain leggings return 150% of the bars used to create them.  (There are other items with 120%.)
Pages: 1 ... 1650 1651 [1652] 1653 1654 ... 3842