Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1646 1647 [1648] 1649 1650 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122456 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24705 on: August 09, 2012, 10:52:53 pm »

A giant cave swallow showed up so I'm hoping I can bag a breeding pair. Also I need to figure out a way to kill and slaughter the giant earthworm I caught.... Slicy things might chop bits off and I don't have anywhere NEAR enough ammo to kill it with bloodloss...

EDIT: A miner went funny in the head and produced Satdanast, Strokesteppe, a native platinum cabnet that menaces with spikes of native platinum and nickle, and has bands of native platinum cabochons.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24706 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:11 pm »

Started on an evil region, successfully cordoned off the embark wagon. No undead wildlife sightings yet. Aquifer breach successful, though it cost me a miner. Farms are taking up nicely, now to carve some room for workshops and stockpiles.
Outside, it's raining stinking muck that makes people nauseated but seems otherwise harmless. Also, some migrants seem to have decided to settle in Battlestandard. I pity the fools...
Welp, that was quick. An hour or two real time after posting the above, everybody at Battlestandard had gone murderously insane from being forced to sleep on the ground and drink slime and/or vomit. Technically the fort didn't crumble, since there was a berserk and a lunatic still alive when I abandoned.

Not to be so quickly dissuaded, I genned a new world and did another evil embark that is currently in the process of carving out space for workshops, the main dining hall, and jails. The evil weather du jour is a rain of red goo that induces a slight fever. (The vomit-inducing muck was green; I wonder if there's a connection between the colour and effects of evil rain?) Still no sightings of undead wildlife. That is wont to change at a moment's notice though, because there seemed to be a necro tower nearby...
Now it's a race against time to get up a well running off cavern water before thirst becomes an issue again and some sort of perimeter defence before the necromancers come calling.

I think my main goal for now shall be taming some of the lovely cavern creatures around here.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24707 on: August 09, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »

A gremlin ran into some of the milita in the living quarters.

He's wall paint now.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24708 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:56 am »

New recruit lost her foot to a Giant Tick, as well as her 'back right teeth'.

Promptly picked up a crutch and went back to duty. Unfortunetly she has nothing but military skills.

Rith, you will become an awesome Crutch-using warlord-ess.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24709 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27:59 am »

The first Forgotten Beast showed up in Pokedecay today. A big undulating, three eyed lobster with poisonous gas. Killed a couple of dogs and a couple of hunters. It was making it's way towards my fortress, the Cavern Guard were getting their stuff together. It was lumbering past the rim of a magma lake to the north of the entrance when it came across Awab Wyneverbu, a carpenter, out chopping trees. 

She flew into a rage, engaged it by the side of a the magma lake and caved its face in with her copper greataxe.

She earned herself he first tomb of Pokedecay for that. Depending on how bad this gas was she might need it soon enough...

Edit: don't worry. She didn't even have time to be sprayed by it. She's fine.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:30:32 am by MasterMorality »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24710 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:12 am »

Just modded in trainable GCS. War Giant Cave Spiders.  8) Feel the fury, motherfuckers. Now I just need a spider name for this new fort, and I'll have a theme and everything.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24711 on: August 10, 2012, 10:25:16 am »

a web-throwing FB appeared but left the map before i could complete my kitten-baited holding area ! :(

EDIT:

Praise Armok! "'Yyg' Libadrith, Armorer has created Arkoth Asmel, a adamantine right gauntlet!"
"The Prophecy Of Merchants" It is encrusted with oval bauxite cabochons and oval olivine cabochons, decorated with oak, horse leather and cat leather and encircled with bands of adamantine, cushion microline cabochons and alpaca wool.

Its gone striaght on my primary melle dwarf commander and I now have a Legendary Armorer ! Yay.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:20:30 pm by hjd_uk »

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24712 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »

Praise Armok! "'Yyg' Libadrith, Armorer has created Arkoth Asmel, a adamantine right gauntlet!"
"The Prophecy Of Merchants" It is encrusted with oval bauxite cabochons and oval olivine cabochons, decorated with oak, horse leather and cat leather and encircled with bands of adamantine, cushion microline cabochons and alpaca wool.
How I read that:  It is encrusted with bright red and bright green, decorated with brown, brown and light brown and encircled with bands of teal, teal and white.

Dwarves have a really tacky sense of colors.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24713 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »

@ Hanslanda - Go with Joinedspider. That sounds good.

@ Madoc - Still the most bitchin' gauntlet ever.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24714 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:52 pm »

Just modded in trainable GCS. War Giant Cave Spiders.  8) Feel the fury, motherfuckers. Now I just need a spider name for this new fort, and I'll have a theme and everything.

"Silkcrypt" might work :).

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24715 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »

Just hit 97 Urists... about 12 of them kids after a baby boom.

Most Urists I've ever head. Hardly any goblin activity, but I expect that to change... although I have my drowning chamber.

Found a massive underground lake stopping me from reaching most of the 1st layer of the caverns with my layout of my fort, so I'm building a bridge.

My one-footed soilder is being awesome. Rank 5 Crutch-walker, and still training and fighting like a boss. This dorf seems to be the only one who can keep up with my Commander in a spar, who's almost a Hammerlord now.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24716 on: August 10, 2012, 01:57:07 pm »

How I read that:  It is encrusted with bright red and bright green, decorated with brown, brown and light brown and encircled with bands of teal, teal and white.

Dwarves have a really tacky sense of colors.

Dont forget that the base material is blue :)

It probably as hideous as this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24717 on: August 10, 2012, 02:13:20 pm »

Lost my fort.

Goblin seige arrives, I go 'into the drowing chamber' mode, and the goblin commander promptly walks into a murky pool he can't get out of, mounted on a crocodile. This means the other goblins refuse to leave him.

I'm trapped in my fort, not self-sufficient just yet, I need plants, I need some trade, but I can't kill the 20 bowmen out there.

Goblin AI stupidty ended up becoming goblin AI Genius...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24718 on: August 10, 2012, 03:24:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you've got picks, I can see two immediate options:

1. Dig out everything beneath the goblins. Link it to some supports. Cave in the floors beneath them and kill the stunned survivors. Will permanently scar a large part of your surface fort for a long while. Not a problem if no such surface fort exists.

2. Dig for the caverns, gathering all the plants you can find whilst staying on the guard for the occasional wandering cavern troll.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24719 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »

I had some titan parts laying around for my last strange mood, apparently.

Pages: 1 ... 1646 1647 [1648] 1649 1650 ... 3842