Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1643 1644 [1645] 1646 1647 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122086 times)

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24660 on: August 08, 2012, 07:59:33 pm »

proceeding well with my mountain carving project, have begun to put up the golden spires of the great imperial palace.

Will be working down from there to carve the great dome of the throne room and then the rest of the royal chambers.

I intend to gradually engrave these rooms as I proceed from baron on wards.

Oh yeah I also carved a giant ( Nine Urists across Seventeen Urists tall) dwarven face into the mountain peering out over the rest of my fortress.

Everything appears to be going well...

I'm a bit disappointed the nearby necromancer tower has not set forth to siege me in nearly 40 years of game time...

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24661 on: August 08, 2012, 08:22:34 pm »

embarked on a cave, completely expecting to get mauled by a FB.
Friendly freakin Kobolds.

Next time something like this happens I'm going to protect them instead of using them for wrestling practice.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24662 on: August 08, 2012, 09:04:05 pm »

Trying a new mod (LFR) and decide "why not, itemless embarks aren't so bad, and there's a nearly flat volcano too!" Well, nearly flat means for some reason that the volcano half my map is flat and the other half has a giant mountain on it. Still sounds good, time comes to deconstruct my wagon and start chopping trees.   Problem: My wagon spawned on the hilly side of the map and exploded.   Its a tundra so getting drink is going to be a problem with no barrels. Going to try anyway and hope for some Eureka! moment.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24663 on: August 08, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »

Trying a new mod (LFR) and decide "why not, itemless embarks aren't so bad, and there's a nearly flat volcano too!" Well, nearly flat means for some reason that the volcano half my map is flat and the other half has a giant mountain on it. Still sounds good, time comes to deconstruct my wagon and start chopping trees.   Problem: My wagon spawned on the hilly side of the map and exploded.   Its a tundra so getting drink is going to be a problem with no barrels. Going to try anyway and hope for some Eureka! moment.

Rock Pots are your friends.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24664 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:31 pm »

always check elevation on volcano maps. Sometimes it's a Pillar of magma 20Z levels high held in place by a 1 tile wall, othertimes they tend to spawn mountains.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24665 on: August 08, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

Any way to melt drinking water? I can't make pots since I can't craft a workshop.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24666 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »

If you can magma, channel it under some ice-- you need a magma flow for that I think. Otherwise cave in a section of ice. The ice will likely freeze again immediately since it's still an outdoors, so build a roof at the very top and cave it in again, voila underground watersource.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24667 on: August 08, 2012, 09:17:19 pm »

Item-less embark. No pick. Usually I survive in a wooden hut until the caravan but with no wagon the only thing I can think of to do is gather plants and farm. Still doesn't solve the drinking problem.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24668 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »

oh, ouch. Gather plants and brew them? Never noticed if you need a water source for a still, but without barrels :/
Also, you can't use pots for brewing in any case.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24669 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »

Ah well, its a lost cause. Dehydrating while being stung by bees constantly. And I just wrote the intro to my story for this fort too. Now I have to go back and re-introduce the new founders. Attempt number 2! Bring along 3 pieces of wood in case the wagon vanishes again.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24670 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

Always bring one item. Be it something useful or something completely pointless like a backpack or a single bolt. Otherwise the game fucks you with no wagon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24671 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:01 pm »

Mini tantrum spiral.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24672 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »

Training four war unicorns.
Boss.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24673 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:28 pm »

Ah well, its a lost cause. Dehydrating while being stung by bees constantly. And I just wrote the intro to my story for this fort too. Now I have to go back and re-introduce the new founders. Attempt number 2! Bring along 3 pieces of wood in case the wagon vanishes again.
Aye, sounds like a lost cause. You could make a beefarm, to make mead-- but each harvest takes about 3-4 months and it's not likely there are many colonies on the map to begin with, meaning you'd need to split them instead of harvest.
And again, you'd need jugs and hives-- which at the simplest level can't be made without wood or stone.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24674 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:58 am »

Welp, turns out an unexpected complication foiled my magma dump/prisoner BBQ semimegaproject.

Also, for bitching about lame titans and FB:s, I got a consolation prize: a fire-breathing two-tailed mole. ‼Fun‼ ensued.

Oh, and the only ore I've found so far is still tetrahedrite.

With that, it looks like Laborsieged is just about ready for abandon. I'll just wait 'till the liaison goes back home to spread my amazing discoveries on wild boars and mountain goats and then maybe see if I really can't survive in Zombieland. Or maybe try to find a nice savage embark for trapping giant predators...  :-\
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 1643 1644 [1645] 1646 1647 ... 3842