Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1637 1638 [1639] 1640 1641 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121618 times)

crew4man

• Bay Watcher
  • Its good...but is it Dwarf?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24570 on: August 03, 2012, 07:03:03 pm »

My fort is currently enjoying fighting off my first goblin siege. Right after the aforementioned "hospital is flooded." So far, 11 dwarves are dead (out of 80), not to mention dogs and other animals. My military did a very good job of dying. My traps worked well enough on the goblins who went after the fortress-proper.

edit: 19 dead.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:06:58 pm by crew4man »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24571 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »

Elk Birds are now subling into my traps. FREE FOOD AND TRADE GOODS DORFS!!!

Akimbo-macing macedorf just beat the shit out of a pit filled with troglodytes. Gonna pit her against a cave ogre next.

crew4man

• Bay Watcher
  • Its good...but is it Dwarf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24572 on: August 03, 2012, 07:17:54 pm »

Elk Birds are now subling into my traps. FREE FOOD AND TRADE GOODS DORFS!!!

Akimbo-macing macedorf just beat the shit out of a pit filled with troglodytes. Gonna pit her against a cave ogre next.

Wish I could borrow that military. Dat macedwarf.,,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24573 on: August 03, 2012, 07:19:25 pm »

And Broseph said she'd only use one at a time. She did use both and the bronze one wasn't even stuck! So. Lifeminers or lone maces-akimbo macedorf with no armor against a crundle infestation.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24574 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:54 pm »

My fort love water Pressure thanks to the local major river feeding my cistern

!FUN!
!SCIENCE!
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24575 on: August 03, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

And Broseph said she'd only use one at a time. She did use both and the bronze one wasn't even stuck! So. Lifeminers or lone maces-akimbo macedorf with no armor against a crundle infestation.
Conventional wisdom says they only use one however it actually makes sense that they'll go for the easiest attack. Mythbusted.

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24576 on: August 03, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »

I'm catching up with DF2012 after playing very little since 40d a few years ago. As such the military is all new to me. My first DF2012 fort ended in the bloodiest bloodbath ever as tantrum spirals overlapped with werelizard attacks and goblin invaders waltzing past my raw recruits. For my current fort I decided that I just want to play without worrying about military matters for now.

So I've sealed off my fortress – plus a good chunk of the open land around it – behind an awesome marble wall that I spent most of the first year constructing.

I pulled up the drawbridge as soon as the first goblin siege showed up.

They arrived at the same time as a human caravan and a 'minotaur child' (I'd luckily caught its parent in a cage trap). There was a bloody three-way tussle for supremacy outside my walls. The goblins won easily, and are now lurking outside. Rather unsportingly, they arrowed my pastured cattle to death from a slope overlooking what I thought was a safe area.

I'm happy as Larry inside my well-provisioned fortress. I walled off enough of the open land for my besieged fortress to be pretty much self-sustaining.

Currently I have a strange obsession with making the perfect multi-floored dining hall. The hall is 3 z-levels deep and I'm building a floor above it with stairs up and down, private rooms, statues, etc.

I'll figure out the military when I feel like it.

I'm cautiously digging down to the lower levels, having been spoiled for what might await me down there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:42:11 pm by Forteano »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24577 on: August 03, 2012, 07:38:16 pm »

The first three babies this fort has shall be clothed int he finiest blood soaked garb the goblins can provide.
Akimbo the macedorf is now battleing the crundle horde.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24578 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:59 pm »

Hehe, I just had some accidental Fun in a fortress that's had very little.

For some reason, the dwarven merchants stuck around for over a year.  I decided to deconstruct the ground below them, hoping it would either kill them or startle them enough to get them moving.  It ended up causing a several story cave in, but I wasn't too surprised by that. 

Now here's the cool part:  The section I deconstructed was right where the Trade Depot used to be, and it was covered in Trap Components that I'd never put in stockpiles.  So the combat reports told tales of dwarfs falling, being crushed by falling rocks, and having limbs sliced off by falling giant axe blades and serrated discs!  Awesome!

Also, the merchants' wagon appears to be floating in midair now.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #24579 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:22 pm »

I've fixed the booze supply issues plaguing Frostcastles. It seems that when the farmers went to harvest plants and stockpile them they took barrels/pots already containing plants from the stockpile and then stored the harvested plants in the barrel/pot before returning to the stockpile. This meant that my brewers didn't have access to the plants as they were constantly being carried around by the farmers. Now that my plant stockpiles no longer accept barrels/plants I have thousands of drinks instead of a few dozen or hundred for the ~140 dwarves here.
I think it's party time now.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24580 on: August 04, 2012, 12:24:46 am »

In an effort to actually progress with my FPS raising efforts, I'm turning off invasions. I kill them all every time anyways without problem, but the more this stuff clutters up my fort, the lower my FPS gets. It's really the only thing that's changing in my fort right now, as I don't have that many dwarves, my fort isn't that complicated, and my stockpiles haven't changed a whole lot since my start. I've even removed temperature considerations in d_init (which does amazing wonders for FPS btw).

Unfortuantely I just proved it doesn't get rid of ambushes already on the map. oh well, that's just a cleanup crew problem.

The only other thing that's new right now is that I set up a slightly more efficient distribution for clothing. My tailoring area is pretty far from both the garbage dump and the trade depot, so I set up 4 minecart paths to bring it closer to both. One each for legwear, footware, "armor" robes, and head ware. It's pretty amazing, though if I ever designed a fort from scratch I'd make it dump right into the depot on command.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24581 on: August 04, 2012, 06:14:10 am »

A siege turned up, a fairly big one for my 2x2 map.

They bring Othral Usoac Ngiracasot : "Cutfist The Furious Strike"
A great eyeless lizard twisted into humanoid form, it has a poisonous bite, a goblin Lawgiver.

I assume its a Clown that's become leader of the gobbos.
Does this mean that I get to hopefully kill the leader of that goblin civilization ?

[update]
The enemy brought Giant Cave Swallow Mounts, the ground troops however are being dealt with by the traps and Marksdwarves:
"The flying ({Steel Bolt}) strikes The Goblin Maceman in the Tongue" Ouch ( *heh heh* :) ).

The Flying-Mounted "Cutfist The Furious Strike" could be a problem when it decides to attack however, now it just circles in the distance, surveying the battle, waiting, waiting....

[update2]
That's very odd, the squads that the lawgiver was in charge of left the map.

[update3]
A single marksdwarf (who had bolts) decided to run out into the battle [ im guessing a bad Staion pathfind decided that the z-level down was a valid station position].
Thus dubbed the profesion of "CrazyBastard", he is now outside thrashing the remaining Goblins outside with hos alpaca bone crossbow.
He cant do any damage other than bruising, almost all hits are deflected by clothing, but he's really going nuts with that thing and the goblins cant seem to hit him back.

So im making a bunch of Iron crossbows, he could have been useful in this situation if he had a heavier weapon.

[updte4]
Wtf, now two more are going outside to "Pickup Equipment". Are they going after some unforbidden bolts out there ?

Wow, the second marksdwarf to run outside, given the profession of "Dumbass" just punched a goblin to death - broken skull -> torn brain
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:42:36 am by hjd_uk »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24582 on: August 04, 2012, 09:30:09 am »

My embark has no sand. So I'm importing buying every bag of sand and rough glass gem I can get my hands on, in order to:

-Build an underground necropolis with clear glass sarcophagi and portals
-Encrust everypony's furniture with clear/green glass, and nobles' with crystal glass

I'm gonna sew leather images (mostly made from the skin of the ambushers and thieves) images into the excess bags and sell them.

Random fact: There's one particular child that was born in the fortress. She was kidnapped twice and rescued both times; but each time the snatcher, when discovered, started stabbing her. Now she's got a severed motor nerve. Very sad.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:16:17 am by Valikdu »

lordofthenothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24583 on: August 04, 2012, 10:42:01 am »

I got 5 heavily-injured dwarves in the hospital after a accident with a cave-in.

Another one died 10 seconds after arriving at the hospital. Nobody died directly after the event happened.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24584 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »

I'm building a tower on top of a frozen ocean (temperate biome). When everything thaws, the tower will drop to the bottom of the ocean and form a pylon for my isolated ocean fortress.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1637 1638 [1639] 1640 1641 ... 3842