Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1636 1637 [1638] 1639 1640 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121640 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24555 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:10 am »

The salt marsh fortress of Oceanmirrors fell due to an ambush that killed an entire migrant wave.  Seeing all the dwarf blood at the gates was too much, and I sent my militia out to avenge the fallen.  I hadn't yet created wall fortifications and archery towers, but my marksdwarves were fine in direct combat earlier.  However, this time around, NONE of them filled their quivers and got slaughtered :(.

Now I'm in the first year of Carnaltorch, the volcanic fortress.  It's only my second volcano embark, and I don't even remember what ended my first one, which was over a year ago.  With endless fuel and sand, I'm making my first foray into the glass industry.  Water is scarce, as there's no stream or brook, but there are a few murky pools I'm going to pump drain into cisterns.

One early bit of excitement came in the form of a giant wolverine.  I didn't even realize it was close to the gates until I got the "Giant Wolverine is enraged" message.  The beast tore through my turkeys and chickens, and killed one of my dogs.  However, the other dog kept it busy as I quickly got my militia ready (this time I embarked with a trained hammerdwarf and axedwarf).  The dog lost a front and back leg, but managed to latch onto the wolverine's head and give it a good shake.  Then axedwarf arrived on the scene and finished what the dog started, promptly splitting the giant beast's skull.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24556 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:53 pm »

My vampire mayor recently expired... beaten to a pulp and left to rot in the dungeon. Oh well i didnt like him much anyway.... Upon his death his body was placed in the crypts and all was well. However, now i have a ghost in my fort. It is not in the slabbing menu, and has the same last name as my now deceased mayor. My theory is that his alter-ego was so powerful it was granted a sole of its own, and now haunts the fortress longing to live the life it never had...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24557 on: August 02, 2012, 12:45:06 pm »

Got no food or booze, every now and then a cloud of ash pops up and everyone that touches the dust is covered in blisters, the first year caravan of the mountainhomes took so long to unload their goods that I wasn't able to trade with them and now they are stuck at the trade depot or 6 months already and one of their wagons died, oh and did I tell you of my vampire dwarf who already killed a child and a legendary stoneworker?
So just the usual stuff

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24558 on: August 02, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

Well, to answer the thread title- I'm being sieged. The goblins brought war cave dragons. I don't want to unpause...
You will be glad to hear they do not breathe fire. But they are quite tough. Cage traps do nicely though.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24559 on: August 02, 2012, 02:17:04 pm »

They both were normal Earth ponies, once.
When they suddenly became interested in boats and elephants, nopony though that something was wrong. But it was already too late.
One day, they both locked themselves in their rooms. Terrifying screams were heard from within. Nopony dared to approach the doors.
Thus ARMOK claimed His first slaves in Equestria.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, a FB just climbed up to the surface and met an ambushing blowgunner squad... and took 1 dart to the brain and died. FAIL.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:45:28 pm by Valikdu »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24560 on: August 02, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »

I just realised the last things to die recently were 3 FBs (to be fair the first 2 came within a week of each other), and a kobold. Followed by the 30 crundles of the recent skirmish againsnt them. I seriously need some FUN.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24561 on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »

A relatively quiet period in Cryptdagger.

Migrants have brought the fortress population up to 113 (which covers the pop cap).  They are housed, reasonably fed, and are being fed into the militia training squads as sets of civilian equipment become available (light armor, metal cap, shield, weapon).  A few highly trained migrants have been immediately promoted to lead garrison squads (an axe lord and an elite marksdwarf). 

The various industries are up and running; silk farm, cloth farming (small scale), foundry producing copper, gold, ceramic, and glass products, and the masons are converting the spare rock into furniture and block for construction.  The kitchen has cave crocodile eggs in abundance as well as a cage with 44 hatchlings being saved for later slaughter (or war training for unleashing on the goblins.)

The goblins "discovered" Cryptdagger this spring right after the elves arrived to trade.  A one squad siege that was repelled from the surface gate by marksdwarves placed on the roof of the keep.  A not that effective bolt storm, but sufficient to drive the goblins back and kill a few.  The recently arrived axe lord was then given the fortress' only set of steel armor and turned loose.  This resulted in another five goblin corpses and more limping off missing an arm or leg.  (The combat log is mainly the axe lord blocking and dodging attacks and landing a counterstrike now and then.  The counterstriked goblin then limping off trailing blood while the rest keep fighting.)

The next siege will get a more complex greeting.

(The shortages in this fortress have been interesting.  Not having iron/steel until some caravans or Goblinite comes in is not surprising or unexpected.  For building weapon traps it has been poor quality mechanisms since I prefer superior or masterpiece ones for those traps.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24562 on: August 02, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »

Building a massive trade empire on cut gems, digging out huge cave-in proof swaths of the underground, and slowly exterminating my goblin prisoners.

Not much going on other then the usual injuries and digging.

Edit: My marksdwarves are actually using there bows, arrows, and training facilities. I almost cried with joy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:15:14 am by xana55 »
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

crew4man

• Bay Watcher
  • Its good...but is it Dwarf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24563 on: August 03, 2012, 04:39:30 pm »

In my fort, a new mathematical formula has been unearthed.

It goes:

Water + Pressure*Brook + Well = ~Fun~

After several months of painstaking effort, I got water to my well. Which promptly over-flooded. Since it was next to the hospital, I can't say for certain if my one wounded dwarf got submerged...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24564 on: August 03, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »

Glacialhell has just finished a short drop pit for all the captured trogs and a cave ogre that survived a cavern purge of hostile life by the Lifeminers (They mine your life out of your body, clever right?) There appears to be a goodsized flock of elk birds down there so I've layerd my cages in hopes of bagging more. Some impromtu herbalism from my sole fishery worker (why the hell did she show up to a glacier!?)
Got us some booze.

I do believe I will begin makig Lifeminers my main force here, as I always have that image of a dwarf shouting "THERE BORTHERS AND SISTERS!!! MORE COME TO DIE!!!" Before charging in with a pickaxe.

I've also begun prominently displaying yeti on my fort's perimeter.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24565 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »

A dwarf of mine just used some gizzard stones in the making of an artifact pig iron armor stand, gross.

But anyways, legendary metal crafter! :D
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24566 on: August 03, 2012, 06:24:56 pm »

I got a macedorf going maces akimbo on trogs. Badass. Also three snatchers and a thiefe met the lifeminers. They're dead now.

Also got a legendary tanner (speedy work at least...) and an artefact Elkbird headscarf.

Another force of trogs have entered the caves and the lifeminers are on high alert now.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24567 on: August 03, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »

I got a macedorf going maces akimbo on trogs. Badass. Also three snatchers and a thiefe met the lifeminers. They're dead now.

Also got a legendary tanner (speedy work at least...) and an artefact Elkbird headscarf.

Another force of trogs have entered the caves and the lifeminers are on high alert now.
Akimbo maces probably aren't very effective. The dwarf will only use one at a time unless one becomes stuck.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24568 on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »

Carnaltorch just suffered its first casualty after a second giant wolverine showed up on the scene.  The 2-man militia comprising an axedwarf and hammerdwarf put an end to the menace, but not before it killed a marksdwarf by the name of Kosoth :(.  He left behind a widow, three sons, and a daughter.  Time to put cage traps up. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24569 on: August 03, 2012, 06:33:59 pm »

Akimbo maces probably aren't very effective. The dwarf will only use one at a time unless one becomes stuck.

I don't care really. I just want one dwarf who does something awesome but impractical :P.
Pages: 1 ... 1636 1637 [1638] 1639 1640 ... 3842